VN Ren'Py Game Dev Journal: Inner Demons (Ch 4 progress)

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Finished the transition scene images. 16 total, but didn't take very long. It's all low light stuff, but that puck light makes everything so smooth. I got more noise in my heavily-lighted scenes than I do in these.

I hate how I learned that so late... One of the earlier comments of the game was that the lighting was too dark. I thought they had too much noise. But every image from here on out... gonna get dat fuck' puck light, yo!

These scenes are NOT what you'd expect. I wonder how it'll go.

Reactions: kfrazer099

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
maybe show some examples of the ones that are awesome due to "puck lights" (possibly small snips if you want to keep the full images secret until release) vs ones that you think are not as good. Then we could give better feedback.

BTW what's a puck light? lol :LOL:

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
2844 copy.jpg
This is a fully completed image, post work and all. Took only 25 minutes to render.
The"Puck Light" is just out of frame, to the upper left hand corner. What

Capture.JPG
What makes me mad is that I've been using the "Cone Light" almost exclusively; and to a lesser extent the "Sphere and Dome" lights. The Puck Light gives a softer lighting effect without overpowering the scene. Images keep their intended atmosphere (day, night, sppoky, etc) while have enough light cast on the subject to bring out the fine details.

I used it for the first time last night... Every single dark image I made would have been made insanely better if I tried using it in the beginning.

Reactions: osanaiko

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Working on the LAST scene now, I hope it turns out well. I'm actually looking into some things instead of just going "off the cuff".

For rendering, tells you everything you'd want to know about render settings and what they mean.
I'm be trying out for work on d-formers, such as some boob squeezin' luvin' goodness.
And of course, the NOW ever useful lights of to help with my always-too-fuckin'-dark night renders.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The goal is 20 images for the last scene, but honestly, it'll probably wind up being 40 or 50...

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Working on the LAST scene now, I hope it turns out well. I'm actually looking into some things instead of just going "off the cuff".

For rendering, tells you everything you'd want to know about render settings and what they mean.
I'm be trying out for work on d-formers, such as some boob squeezin' luvin' goodness.
I always think the best learning and progress comes from a combination of actually using the tools and making mistakes and self-teaching for a while, and then periodically looking into information or shortcut tools presented by others.

Just reading tutorials etc doesn't give you the intuitive understanding of what the tools and shortcuts will provide. And only after struggling with basics can you understand how much / what situations plugins and assets can assist.

It's like learning music - you can play and practise to learn how to reproduce a song by rote learning. But only after also spending time to learn music theory can you see how the composition of the songs fit together to produce different song styles. There are of course exceptions to the rule, genius composers who never formally learned music (Michael jackson for example). But they are exceptions.

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
So... turns out 20-30 minutes per render was a lie, it seems.
1 hour, 10 minutes per. That's what happened when you forget to hide everything not in the viewport.
But I'm making good progress with the script. There are a few images I need to fix though. Something happened with the breast collisions and they need to be fixed.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Script is about 2/3rd complete. I needed to add a couple more images for my extremely very special optional scene.
Plus I noticed some images needed some extra post-work, but that won't take very long. Like, 30 minutes.
That final scene I made, I think, is amazing. You can tell a HUGE difference in quality from the start of the update to the end. But now it's going to bug me that my earlier images aren't good enough!
The curse of perfection!
Anyhoo... progress is being made.
Capture.JPG
Although, Hilda isn't happy with the time it's taking to finish...

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
2901.png

I had just uploaded this image to the GILF thread, but I mainly wanted to share it here.
I made had a few images, think I could blend them into a scene. But It would take WAY too long to do. That scene is already 50 images. So, instead I just chose one of the best ones and posted it as stand alone artwork.
But, it did give me an idea for unlockable gallery stuff. That's still a ways off though.

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
The script is done!
It took way too long to figure out a few things. I had to go back and check for some plot inconsistencies, tweak some images to fit the dialogue.
My problem is this. I know what each chapter and update will be, I know the stories I want to tell with each one. I even know some specific lines that are said for alot of images. My problem is visual. I don't know how the scene will play out until I start working on it. I'm even surprised at what happens next. It's exciting, and maddening at the same time.
Anyways, now for the 2nd to last part... the coding and sound effects!
Osa... I just want to prepare you... Your proofing will be put to the test!
LET THE CODENING BEGIN!

Tweaty

Sep 17, 2019
WOOHOO!!!!:D
At last people, the last hours/minutes/to seconds r finally upon us!!
Don't know about u guys.,
But I'm literally, barely hanging on to the edge of my seat right now...:eek:
N oh, HAPPY THANKS GIVING TOO, BTW GrayTShirt.,
N as well as to everyone else, who r also waiting for these final ticking hours/minutes/to seconds for the new updates release!!!
Godspeed people.,
Godspeed........!!???:unsure:
LOL.,:D:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Get it!?
Its a JK, obviously.,
But at the same time tho, not really..!!!