VN Ren'Py Abandoned Goblin Lord! [v0.9.1] [KainHauld]

4.10 star(s) 17 Votes

ArisVangua

May 9, 2020
He's back, but he's done with this game.

If anyone wants it to stay alive, they probably have to reach out to him and offer to take over the coding stuff for him or the entire game in general with his consent at this point

Deneuve

Aug 6, 2017

So the bad news is basically the Goblin Lord game is discontinued (for now), he says for now but it seems like he hit a dead end since he mainly relied on a friend for most of the coding and along with feature creep and overshooting his knowledge at Python, it seems like this will be it for the game unless things change.

The good news is he's making a Goblin Lord game prequel but using Koikatu and RPG Maker as he seems more well versed with RPG Maker and he's not overshooting his ambitions this time and making it shorter and simpler.

Why the new game engine and visuals?
Like I said earlier, the main reason Goblin Lord's development was so stunted was because I relied heavily on my friend. But because of RPG Maker's more user-friendly interface, I can pretty much develop this new game on my own with significantly less hassle. Goblin Lord was pretty much a sort of RPG game anyways. It had battles, inventory system, day/night mechanics- but all implemented in a jury-rigged sort of way. At least in this engine, all of those will be implemented cleanly.

Also, I am not going into RPGM as a complete beginner, I have been dabbling with the engine for many months now and I can confidently say that I have everything I need to do figured out to actually finish a game for once. So no need to worry for feature creep. I'm also gonna keep this new game quite simple. Nothing fancy, but not too basic either. This is so I can keep the updates consistent.

And I am shifting the visual render because RPG Maker has a more anime aesthetic to it. I feel like making the visual renders in Koi would fit the game better in that regard.

I know these decisions may be disliked by many, to which I apologize. But to those who are willing to give it a go, I will try my best not to disappoint this time. The new game will be short and simple, a sort of way to get step in the RPG Maker engine. Also, as this game is a prequel to Goblin Lord, not only will the story and lore be the same, but once I finish with this- I will be re-making Goblin Lord again.

That's pretty much it for this post. The page will also be renovated and updated a bit. And rewards will be given out.

The next post will be about the new game, on what's it gonna be about, who will be in it, and what you can expect from it.

BiggestDickest

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
So the bad news is basically the Goblin Lord game is discontinued (for now), he says for now but it seems like he hit a dead end since he mainly relied on a friend for most of the coding and along with feature creep and overshooting his knowledge at Python, it seems like this will be it for the game unless things change.

The good news is he's making a Goblin Lord game prequel but using Koikatu and RPG Maker as he seems more well versed with RPG Maker and he's not overshooting his ambitions this time and making it shorter and simpler.
That is very bad news for me :(. RPGM is much less editable for the players, thus making it hard to skip to the good parts. Oh Kainhauld :(. I was hoping he would move on to Honey Select 2 and make a more linear game. Well, too bad.

Reactions: Grelk and ajleo

Deneuve

Aug 6, 2017
That is very bad news for me :(. RPGM is much less editable for the players, thus making it hard to skip to the good parts. Oh Kainhauld :(. I was hoping he would move on to Honey Select 2 and make a more linear game. Well, too bad.
He probably would do that, but he probably doesnt know how to code Honey Select 2 and he probably needs to buy the thing.
(I honestly never tried looking up if someone uploaded a free version of it, all I know is its not as available since its a lotta cash for just basically a hentai tool).

Sedid

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 27, 2018
Really sad to see this game abandoned, but the good news is that the developer is alive and back.

Reactions: Zellasourus

BiggestDickest

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
He probably would do that, but he probably doesnt know how to code Honey Select 2 and he probably needs to buy the thing.
(I honestly never tried looking up if someone uploaded a free version of it, all I know is its not as available since its a lotta cash for just basically a hentai tool).
I think you are a bit confused about the softwares used in making these games. Let me explain. Honey Select 2 is a software where you make the characters, and make images of them in sex scenes or any scenes. It is actually available for free right here on F95. Renpy or RPGM are game engines where you write codes to show the images and the dialogues in a particular order. Kainhauld and his friend wrote some other codes that led to all the additional gameplay mechanics such as sandbox in Renpy. He even said he tried to create something that plays like chess. That is of course very complicated. Because essentially in Renpy, you are given a set of tools to create effects or mechanics that you commonly see in most Renpy games. If you want to create effects outside the existing ones like Kainhauld did, you'd have to combine the existing tools together, or make new tools from scratch, which is of course difficult.

Honestly, RPGM in my experience is just as rigid as Renpy, if not more. The difficult part is in writing codes for new functions for any engines that don't already have what you want. The major difference is that Renpy is designed for showing images with dialogues directly while RPGM is designed for walking around a map with a character and getting into turn-based combat. But well, RPGM just doesn't offer a continuous experience because the gameplay graphics are different from the images made in Honey Select or Koikatsu. It feels more like you are unlocking sporadic images as a reward for reaching certain parts of the game. You also can't rollback to previous dialogues in RPGM, so you can't skip till you see an interesting dialogue before rolling back to see the context.

Kingofgibkun

May 31, 2022
any walk through for this game , i m stuck with eri saying she needs time for goblin hunt and elena only showing me the way to eris fort.

StanleyFlower

Apr 24, 2018
any walk through for this game , i m stuck with eri saying she needs time for goblin hunt and elena only showing me the way to eris fort.
that's the end of the update for eri. As for elena contents, you will need to donate gold to sister kairi, at least 1000 gold or higher, but yeah, youu need to donate.

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
such a good game and dev abandon it to do some rpgmaker like garbage -facepalm-
He abandoned it because he can not code in the way the game whas written.
Would you rather have a frustrated dev that does not really bring development forward because it is in your favourite code version or would you rather have more of his work in another engine?

• Angry
Reactions: dvstt

Sedid

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 27, 2018
Would you rather have a frustrated dev that does not really bring development forward because it is in your favourite code version or would you rather have more of his work in another engine?
I think the second project is abandoned too. His last post on Patreon was in March.

dvstt

Jun 14, 2018
If another engine is anything similiar to rpg maker then i would rather don't play anything from this dev at all.

4.10 star(s) 17 Votes