SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
Error at the beginning, I downloaded it from GDrive about an hour ago.
I have uploaded a version with a fix for this, redownload the gdrive file again, i will update the rest of the links at a later point
Out of curiosity, have you played the game before? I am trying to figure out where these errors are coming from and could use some pointers, as it shouldn't be occurring naturally

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DBAV and Warscared

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
I have uploaded a version with a fix for this, redownload the gdrive file again, i will update the rest of the links at a later point
Out of curiosity, have you played the game before? I am trying to figure out where these errors are coming from and could use some pointers, as it shouldn't be occurring naturally
I played before but I decided to start a new game since I had some free time, that error is from the MC's first words in the game.

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
I played before but I decided to start a new game since I had some free time, that error is from the MC's first words in the game.
I see, my bad not placing the check at the start of the game as well then. Well, live and learn
Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: DBAV

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
Up to date with the game, there's an obvious quality increase both in scenes and writing this version so good job.

I understand your mob soldiers are watered down versions of Raven and Heim, that's good and all but the tanks are too watered down, mob-archers are somewhat useful for the range so I suggest you at least give the tanks shield charge to make them better.

The secret in the mission I got by rushing to the general is the scene with the soldier right? If you include more battles like that please make a more clear sign that there is a secret scene obtainable because it was a bit hard to understand.

Reactions: SolidDoc

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
Up to date with the game, there's an obvious quality increase both in scenes and writing this version so good job.
I tried, glad that it's noticeable
I understand your mob soldiers are watered down versions of Raven and Heim, that's good and all but the tanks are too watered down, mob-archers are somewhat useful for the range so I suggest you at least give the tanks shield charge to make them better.
There are plans for future unit upgrades and i want to test something else for them as well after i made the ai teams. I agree, right now using units is mainly to fill the slots. The idea was to make a player choose a composition that fits the task and fill the gaps with the units. There are a few more unit types coming soon as well as a different enemy composition for me to test my ideas on paper
The secret in the mission I got by rushing to the general is the scene with the soldier right? If you include more battles like that please make a more clear sign that there is a secret scene obtainable because it was a bit hard to understand.
Finally someone noticed! I am trying to spice things up with those, i don't want to make them obvious as it's kind of part of the fun, i am trying to push a player a little bit towards it by using the dialogue. I don't want the secrets to be too important, they are kinda just small bonuses to find, it would feel bad if there was something substantial and missable

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
The mob soldiers quality is a problem mainly because the exp used to raise them is subjected to the damage they deal on the field and that's not good for tanks, maybe making an universal exp pool for mobs could solve that.

I usually read the dialogue and act in consequence but that conversation was misleading because it could also be interpreted as "don't rush because it's a trap" so rather than secrets it's better to include side-objectives like:
Main mission: Resist 9 turns
Side mission: Beat the general
Giving players clear objectives helps a lot and having extra difficulty is an extra challenge for players than want it, no need for the secrecy.

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
The mob soldiers quality is a problem mainly because the exp used to raise them is subjected to the damage they deal on the field and that's not good for tanks, maybe making an universal exp pool for mobs could solve that.
I am aware that some of the roles are harder to train and don't feel as useful as others. Partly due to the lack of content variety (if i made more enemy types, the balance would be more fluent, and i am going to work on it to achieve exactly that). The exp system could use some additions, i wanted to add exp gain from tanking, but that can be easily exploited and i already have one person constantly grinding. There are other ideas that i am going to try, like giving exp for skill use. That is a valid point and needs my attention

no need for the secrecy.
This is an interesting point. I hate missable content, i fucking hated that chest in town with the spear (? i think it was a spear) with random drop rate in FFxii. Would it be better if it was removed? That is hard to tell. Let's say i add an optional objective to the map as all it would take is to make a simple ui window with objective text (the backend already allows it). Ok, now more people are able to not miss it, all good, right? In a way, but it would also turns into that annoying checkbox that most modern games are full of. Do this, get reward, don't do the other thing. When i know there are missable things in games, i try to research everything i can get my hands on to avoid missing it. I will do it even if it costs me the enjoyment of the game. But there are people who would find it fun. There is a guy on my discord that restarted the game to find more secrets, i want to assume it's because he finds it fun, wants to fiddle around, scour the dark corners so to speak. It's fun when you hit a wall in dark souls and you find something behind it (although not the best example, because you can go back in dark souls). And some people who are more competitive, take pride in finding something first. I like experimenting with games and dislike the games becoming too formulaic, and also, maybe this feature is more for me than for users. I like hearing that someone stumbled upon those and the joy from that and from the fact that there are those that play and find it interesting keeps me going, so it has some merit to it as well. The only way to please everyone is to make a bland ubisoft-like that nobody will care about
I will not, hovewer, make something important missable, like say a character. The bonuses are small and most people won't care they missed those, most won't even know they did. And there will always be a slight hint. As for the side objectives, maybe one day i will have an idea where to utilize them

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
This is an interesting point. I hate missable content, i fucking hated that chest in town with the spear (? i think it was a spear) with random drop rate in FFxii. Would it be better if it was removed? That is hard to tell. Let's say i add an optional objective to the map as all it would take is to make a simple ui window with objective text (the backend already allows it). Ok, now more people are able to not miss it, all good, right? In a way, but it would also turns into that annoying checkbox that most modern games are full of. Do this, get reward, don't do the other thing. When i know there are missable things in games, i try to research everything i can get my hands on to avoid missing it. I will do it even if it costs me the enjoyment of the game. But there are people who would find it fun. There is a guy on my discord that restarted the game to find more secrets, i want to assume it's because he finds it fun, wants to fiddle around, scour the dark corners so to speak. It's fun when you hit a wall in dark souls and you find something behind it (although not the best example, because you can go back in dark souls). And some people who are more competitive, take pride in finding something first. I like experimenting with games and dislike the games becoming too formulaic, and also, maybe this feature is more for me than for users. I like hearing that someone stumbled upon those and the joy from that and from the fact that there are those that play and find it interesting keeps me going, so it has some merit to it as well. The only way to please everyone is to make a bland ubisoft-like that nobody will care about
I will not, hovewer, make something important missable, like say a character. The bonuses are small and most people won't care they missed those, most won't even know they did. And there will always be a slight hint. As for the side objectives, maybe one day i will have an idea where to utilize them
I get where you are coming from with the secrets, it could potentially ruin the game but only if the secrets are designed with hate, at least the one I found (don't know if there are more) is mentioned lightly at the beginning and all it takes is to risk your characters maybe even sacrificing one or two on the way (My Heim tanked everything like a champ so no losses here), making secrets at that level of difficulty with your promise as Dev that the secrets are not game-changing, will motivate players to get them without killing the fun.
What most players hate about secrets is the lack of info regarding them and the difficulty, as long as you inform the player about the additional objective and keep the extra difficulty tame, players interested in secrets could get them without having to punch their screens and those who don't care can ignore them. Please never make secrets depending on RNG like kill x character in 3 turns and that can only be done by scoring a crit, because battles are long and without saving it can be annoying.

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
all it takes is to risk your characters
Yeah, that was kinda the goal i was aiming for, exploring that boldness part of Kreios character

Please never make secrets depending on RNG like kill x character in 3 turns and that can only be done by scoring a crit
Give you my word, something like that is indeed cruel

Good luck finding the second one :). Yes, i am a little bit evil

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
Good luck finding the second one :). Yes, i am a little bit evil
If the general is the first secret I can't even being to imagine where is the second one, I've done every quest/sidequest after that and there was no sign of the second secret, that is exactly what might frustrate players though....

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
If the general is the first secret
Technically the one you have found is the second. The first in a way that you found it, second in the timespan

that is exactly what might frustrate players though....
Maybe, i was expecting some heat for doing it
Or maybe some frustration is worth it in the long run if it sparks a conversation
Or maybe someone gets pissed and goes hunting while shouting "eat shit dev, i will find this stupid secret"
Or maybe someone joins in and tells the rest how they found it
And then they will all be frustrated because of the unlock condition, which i will likely not use anymore as i was testing stuff out
And then even more frustration because it was the very first event that i did and it sucks
Who knows, but that's the beauty of it

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
Maybe, i was expecting some heat for doing it
Or maybe some frustration is worth it in the long run if it sparks a conversation
Or maybe someone gets pissed and goes hunting while shouting "eat shit dev, i will find this stupid secret"
Or maybe someone joins in and tells the rest how they found it
And then they will all be frustrated because of the unlock condition, which i will likely not use anymore as i was testing stuff out
And then even more frustration because it was the very first event that i did and it sucks
Who knows, but that's the beauty of it
From my experience in this forum you are playing with fire, either you get your way and people start writing walkthroughs and mods for your game boosting its fame or they say "fuck this shit, not worth it" and gets completely ignored.

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
I kinda doubt it will get much fame, i would say it's quite niche. Going for a VN would have been a much easier choice if i was going for overall reach
I used to work in the gaming industry and was quite frustrated by it's condition to the point where i made a decision to outright leave it for good, before i started messing around with ren'py helping a friend. I think the point where gaming turned from nerdy thing to an industry kinda took the fun out of it for the most part. At least for me, both as a player and now as a developer. Yeah, the game is far from perfect, yeah, a lot of my ideas had to be put away because i don't have as much time as i would need for it. I might do some silly decisions that might not benefit the majority of the players. I do not plan intentionally doing something grand that will make you all hate it, that would be silly, but little things like these are fun for me. I remember showing the first version of the game to a couple of my friends, being excited by the comments, one of them stumbling on the secret. I seriously doubt many people will feel bad for missing out on those little things. Yeah, some might prefer it being done in other ways, but that can be said about everything in the game. I like games that take chances, not sticking to tried methods all the way

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
Didn't knew you worked for the gaming industry!
Now I understand your reluctance to take common used measures though understand that some of them are used for a reason.
I see your game as "complete" in a way, the frame is done and you only need to iron details so don't get negative you are doing a great job, my complaints before are about tiny things.

• Red Heart
Reactions: SolidDoc

SolidDoc

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
some of them are used for a reason
Absolutely, the gaming came a long way since i first encountered it. Some things definitely have been outlived and certain things and features are commonplace, not without a reason. It's a constant battle for me, testing new stuff, trying to make things do what i want them to do, trying not to go too far off the track. Last year has been a blast, even though this is where all my free time went into, learning to code, learning how to set up scenes, how to put my ideas on paper. My idea is that if i have fun, it is easier for me to translate it to the players, when i first started i was kinda half assing it and it shows

I see your game as "complete" in a way, the frame is done and you only need to iron details so don't get negative you are doing a great job, my complaints before are about tiny things.
I am kinda harsh on myself when it comes to that, probably why i don't open a patreon yet. It is as you said, a frame for something, but very little something in it for now. Still a lot of things to do and learn

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
I like the current relationship between siblings better than the usual incest business, I love incest so making the sister a heroine wouldn't be a minus for me but I find the current relationship cute enough.

4.10 star(s) 12 Votes