Ren'Py Guest House [v0.2.2] [Soft Whisper Games]

3.70 star(s) 11 Votes

Do you want me to delete everything after Chapter 1 and revert the game back to a kinetic novel?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Alright, everyone, vote in the poll... Do you want me to delete everything after Chapter 1 and go from there? Or does anyone here actually like the update?

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
Start was great, you have nothing to feel bad about that but sandboxes are just not good unless they are supported by a crapton of additional features. Sandboxes are even worse when they come out of nowhere when the game had no indication it would be a sandbox.

All of the characters seemed great, the graphics were good, the situation was ready for a light hearted harem but the wikipedia dump just killed the flow.

I would seriously suggest reverting to before the visit to the temple and thinking where you want to take the story from there.

Edit: Didn't expect the poll when I was writing the comment. While I suggest reverting to before the temple visit I voted "do what you want" because that's the most important thing to making a game or VN that you are happy about. If you really want to make a sandbox then you should work on that and try to actually have it be enjoyable to play, but it is really hard to do and some people will just never like sandboxes. I'm not completely against them but it's really rare for me to enjoy a sandbox and when I do it's a sandbox where there's a clear indication where to go and there's no downtime.

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Dont run a poll remove the sandbox and who ever voted for sandbox banish them to the shadow realm.
Just vote in the poll so I can see some actual numbers from ppl on f95. I need to see actual results before I throw my hard work in the trash. I mean, did y'all actually play the update all the way through? The "wikipedia dump" took weeks to write.

Last edited:

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
Just vote in the poll so I can see some actual numbers from ppl on f95. I need to see actual results before I throw my hard work in the trash. I mean, did y'all actually play the update all the way through? The "wikipedia dump" took fucking weeks to write.
Yes I played the previous update through and I will admit that I was somewhat harsh but that's what it felt like to read. While I might find the subject interesting in any other setting, an adult harem visual novel is not the place where I come to learn about history and architecture. Plus it was really heavy to read in VN format.

Seriously, I really enjoyed everything up until that but it just killed the mood.

Reactions: MixQQ

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
I mean, it's fine if everyone wants me to go back to a Kinetic novel. It just sucks a bit since I spent a month or two on the latest update. I may have to look for a writer to help me organize the story properly. I introduced a ton of new ideas in 0.2.2 that will have to be implemented one at a time in linear format.

HiHaHo

Jan 2, 2023
Yeah, I was going for a simpler version of Harem Hotel with a smaller scope, but I guess no one like it... :cry: I'm feeling pretty down, so I'm going to take a minute. Maybe run some polls.
bro no polls ... ignore the current feedback mostly .. sit down without any entertainment and think what you want to do and how to do it.. if you leave it to others you won't get your vision off a simpler version off harem hotel.. you'd have to do what other envision which is way harder then trying to realise your own.

now in the end both could work or not, there will be people out there that dislike your product regardless.
always remember the consumer is not responsible for your mindset/feelings stating their feedback/opinions on your project.

Reactions: Draugo

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
I didn't think it'd be that even... Maybe the results will change over the next day or two. But yeah, I'll consider what direction to take things once the poll closes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssato243

Reniere

Aug 5, 2019
Just vote in the poll so I can see some actual numbers from ppl on f95. I need to see actual results before I throw my hard work in the trash. I mean, did y'all actually play the update all the way through? The "wikipedia dump" took weeks to write.
i played it yesterday. I got stuck in the house spoke to the people multiple times stopped playing at the 6time talking to them.
Sandbox is a grind fest one of the reasons people dislike it.

i dont mind the history lessons if its needed for the story or for story progression.
this is the most important story progression not doing 20 different things to progress the story.

If you take off the sandbox but give us multiple choice i feel it will be better

Last edited:

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
i played it yesterday. I got stuck in the house spoke to the people multiple times stopped playing at the 6time talking to them.
Sandbox is a grind fest one of the reasons people dislike it.
You don't have to do it in this exact order, but here's a guide:

Step 1: Complete Ms. Kang's phase 1 main story quest (she's in the kitchen). This will eventually be expanded to include Jisoo, Sujin, and Hyuna's main story quest.

Step 2: Exhaust Jiho's talk events and then ask her about her new book. Ask her to be your girlfriend. Then finally ask her how to build a harem.

Step 3: Leave Jiho's room and begin exhausting each love interest talk events in their respective bedroom. Hold the CTRL key to skip through their dialogue.

Step 3: Click the button that says "Will you be my girlfriend?" on each girl.

Step 4: Enjoy everyone's lewd animation sets.

Step 5: Report back to Jiho and tell her that everyone is your girlfriend.

Step 6: Speak with Ms. Kang so you can begin passing house rules (the update ends here).

Step 7: Wait for the next update.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
Kinetic novel or sandbox.
I'm sorry but the poll is pointless, as the majority want a VN with choices, which isn't an option.
You need to do what you want, it's your time and your work.

That said, if you want to create a sandbox do this, but it needs to be done well.
What has been implemented in this, I'm sorry, but it hasn't been done well. There are no hints or tips on where to go or what to do and just (sorry) but lots of boring text.

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Kinetic novel or sandbox.
I'm sorry but the poll is pointless, as the majority want a VN with choices, which isn't an option.
You need to do what you want, it's your time and your work.

That said, if you want to create a sandbox do this, but it needs to be done well.
What has been implemented in this, I'm sorry, but it hasn't been done well. There are no hints or tips on where to go or what to do and just (sorry) but lots of boring text.
I can definitely include a guide, but this has got to be one of the simplest sandboxes in existence. It's extremely easy to figure out. You just click on each girl in her bedroom and exhaust her talk events until her "will you be my girlfriend" button pops up. The only extra requirement to unlocking each girl's animation set is completing Ms. Kang's main story event. And I dumped the player right next to her after the intro. She's one click away in the kitchen. For now, just refer to the guide I posted in the developer notes section. The game already has a hint system built into it though:

1724871812691.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssato243

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Soft Whisper Just an FYI... I have all of them as girlfriends and have exhausted all talk and 'lets have fun' options, but... when I go back to Jiho, all I have is a talk option (I think even 'lets have fun' is missing?), and no option to tell her that everyone is my girlfriend.

I did do things out of the order you posted above, though, and made them girlfriends before Jiho, but the end result should be the same? Either way, it's not triggering when I visit Jiho.

I'll restart and follow the order you gave and see if it works, though.

(And do you want a save where I'm having the issue above?)

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Soft Whisper Just an FYI... I have all of them as girlfriends and have exhausted all talk and 'lets have fun' options, but... when I go back to Jiho, all I have is a talk option (I think even 'lets have fun' is missing?), and no option to tell her that everyone is my girlfriend.

I did do things out of the order you posted above, though, and made them girlfriends before Jiho, but the end result should be the same? Either way, it's not triggering when I visit Jiho.

I'll restart and follow the order you gave and see if it works, though.

(And do you want a save where I'm having the issue above?)
It sounds like you haven't finished completing Jiho's talk events (that button will dissapear once you've finished this part). Continue progressing through her talk events and ask her about her new book. Once you've done so, you can ask her to be your girlfriend and will have full access to her animation sets (these are optional). Then you can ask her how to build a harem. You can complete this quest by making everyone in the Guest House your girlfriend. Once you've done so speak to Jiho and tell her that everyone is your girlfriend. She will direct you to Ms. Kang to begin passing some house rules.

Last edited:

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
It sounds like you haven't finished completing Jiho's talk events (that button will dissapear once you've finished this part). Continue progressing through her talk events and ask her about her new book. Once you've done so, you can ask her to be your girlfriend and will have full access to her animation sets (these are optional). Then you can ask her how to build a harem. You can complete this quest by making everyone in the Guest House your girlfriend. Once you've done so speak to Jiho and tell her that everyone is your girlfriend. She will direct you to Ms. Kang to begin passing some house rules.
Replaying and following your given order worked.

But I had completed Jiho's talks, and also had fun with her, yet when those options had been exhausted, the "how to progress harem" option did not appear. Not sure why and... shit... I just realized I deleted my save with the problem in it. >.<

All I can suggest is to check a playthrough where you make them girlfriend's before even talking to Jiho. I think that's what I did since I didn't notice Jiho's room until I was done with all other girls and accidentally moved my mouse over the wall that has her room prompt on it. Then I did all the talks with her and hit the issue.

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
I'm really not a fan of sandbox or kinetic....but if I had to choose I guess I'm forced to go with kinetic. But it's odd that there is not a third choice of just the normal choice based story...like most of the other harem titles that is released out in the market.

Instead it's a choice of sandbox or the nothing to choose choice....because kinetic as it was described, is structured with no user input. These limiting choices will only limit the size of the harem fanbase interest in such a title's structure.

Regards.

3.70 star(s) 11 Votes