MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
The game used to have six weeks update cycle that eventually was bumped up to eight weeks. On top of that he takes about three weeks after each update to produce non-canon bonus content for his higher tier patrons. It looks like the upcoming update will be the biggest one yet, so the 5 month wait will most likely be warranted, but if it isn't, Az should re-evaluate his development approach because at the current pace we're looking at 2 updates per year.
Oh, that's disappointing. I can understand it, he needs to keep the whales happy but it is disappointing when the game comes second to the fluff.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Oh, that's disappointing. I can understand it, he needs to keep the whales happy but it is disappointing when the game comes second to the fluff.
Do any patrons actually care about the non-canon bonus scenes? I don't know how many patrons of Halfway House hang around here, but for the games I support, I don't care about patron tier rewards, special scenes, polls, etc. Occasional special renders can be nice and funny, and are probably a good way for the dev to blow off some steam and break up the repetition of only working on the story, but taking 3 weeks+ off of development for non-canon bonus scenes seems excessive to me, especially when we are at the 5 month mark. I suspect that Az is loosing more patrons due to delays in development than he is gaining (if any) by offering special renders. Are there any patrons in the audience here that actually prefer the 3 week+ delays in development so they can get access to the non-canon bonus scenes?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Depends on what they are. Like comics, or small extra games can be fun. However if they are just bonus images maybe a handful of days to do them. These are singular images and not animations requiring huge amounts of renders.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Game Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Depends on what they are. Like comics, or small extra games can be fun. However if they are just bonus images maybe a handful of days to do them. These are singular images and not animations requiring huge amounts of renders.
They are just short scenarios ep3 bonus which you can get here - , Which just consists of ash, emily & mc on a train, emily goes to sleep and then ash gives mc a handjob, the end.
Download it and judge for yourself if you think extra time to produce them is worth it or not, if you pledge $1 you ca grab ep4 bonus here -

Reactions: TD1900

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
They are just short scenarios ep3 bonus which you can get here - , Which just consists of ash, emily & mc on a train, emily goes to sleep and then ash gives mc a handjob, the end.
Download it and judge for yourself if you think extra time to produce them is worth it or not, if you pledge $1 you ca grab ep4 bonus here -
38 images, and reused gui, no choices. 5 days max with a midline graphics card.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Well then, go rip out those pieces of code and we will see you back here in a weeks time too see what you came up with!
Unsure what you are trying to say.

Unless I am being given the daz files, to remake everything.

The question earlier was if I thought that the small additional game was worth 3 weeks+ of time instead of making the canon game. I looked into it, and saw 38 images all taking place in a single location, mainly within a single sub section of the location, and around half of them being facial or arm movements.

So 38 images and maybe 300 words is to me something that can be done with a graphics card that costs above 100 and below 250. The card's rendering time should be able to output those images within 5 days.

The gui and ren'py basic code already exists within his normal game and thus he can reuse it.

None of this is insulting, nor saying I can do better. Just that I think the 3 weeks+ for this is a huge amount of time.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018

The question earlier was if I thought that the small additional game was worth 3 weeks+ of time instead of making the canon game. I looked into it, and saw 38 images all taking place in a single location, mainly within a single sub section of the location, and around half of them being facial or arm movements.

So 38 images and maybe 300 words is to me something that can be done with a graphics card that costs above 100 and below 250. The card's rendering time should be able to output those images within 5 days.

The gui and ren'py basic code already exists within his normal game and thus he can reuse it.

None of this is insulting, nor saying I can do better. Just that I think the 3 weeks+ for this is a huge amount of time.
He is gambling with all that additional advertising stuff, yet for now it seems there are no negative consequences as his patrons base has been increased lately :unsure:
Though, the time will tell for sure.
Im not patron or anything, yet I agree with you there - it would be better for him to develop only the main game without those "time-consuming" adds.

Draakaap23

Dying is always an option
Donor
Jul 5, 2017

The way you styled your comment implied more like you dumped on the work ethic of the dev. Which, thank you for elaborating, you pretty much did!
Let's say you are a construction worker and I hired you to build me a house. You tell me it will take you 6 months to get it done because you make the planning and know what else you need to do while building a house. Well I say you can do it 2 months, because I saw that happen on youtube, so I know for a fact that it can be done faster! See what I am getting at here?
It is not for us to decide what a 'reasonable' working pace is for a project unless, we ourselves are actually having to carry it out.
And being a software pirate on these forums here, that is especially in somewhat poor taste.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
The way you styled your comment implied more like you dumped on the work ethic of the dev. Which, thank you for elaborating, you pretty much did!
Let's say you are a construction worker and I hired you to build me a house. You tell me it will take you 6 months to get it done because you make the planning and know what else you need to do while building a house. Well I say you can do it 2 months, because I saw that happen on youtube, so I know for a fact that it can be done faster! See what I am getting at here?
It is not for us to decide what a 'reasonable' working pace is for a project unless, we ourselves are actually having to carry it out.
And being a software pirate on these forums here, that is especially in somewhat poor taste.
Friend, you took it how you wanted to. However I do not wish to fight with you over this for both of our sakes, I don't think anyone wants mods to come in and throw their weight around.

We just will have to agree to disagree. I wish you a wonderful day/eve.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
its up to patrons to decide if they are ok or not with that additional stuff causing delayed updates of the "main" game.

or, to adapt a bit your comparison here - the dev is a construction worker who is hired by patrons to build a house...he is doing a good job, till he decides (suddenly?) he is gonna try and make some small additional nice things here and there...all of that adds a bit to overall value of the house/property, yet on the other hand, because of them the house building is slowed down noticeably...and winter is coming (damn, i just had to put that GoT quote somewhere:KEK: :p)

Reactions: Draakaap23

Draakaap23

Dying is always an option
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
its up to patrons to decide if they are ok or not with that additional stuff causing delayed updates of the "main" game.

or, to adapt a bit your comparison here - the dev is a construction worker who is hired by patrons to build a house...he is doing a good job, till he decides (suddenly?) he is gonna try and make some small additional nice things here and there...all of that adds a bit to overall value of the house/property, yet on the other hand, because of them the house building is slowed down noticeably...and winter is coming (damn, i just had to put that GoT quote somewhere:KEK: :p)
Well, the comparison goes *quite* sideways when you take that part into it as well, but I see what you mean.
I see it more like this: A Patreon supporter is not a dev's employer or somebody who bankrolls a project like an investor. (That is what commisions and Kickstarter is for) It is a voluntary donation and it gives you zero rights and your expectations do not matter! Which is why I think we should all keep our collective traps shut and let dev's just get on with it! You might make a polite request along with a donation but that. Is. It! If you think a creator is going off the rails: just withdraw support but don't be a bitch about it (like so many people on here) They are their own boss and they run the project. We are envoys software pirates and we take what is offered! ;)
It is kinda hard to express my views and ideas about these things, especially in a place and crowd that tends to keep their blood flow focused away from their brains :p

Blaze616

Jul 26, 2018
Well, the comparison goes *quite* sideways when you take that part into it as well, but I see what you mean.
I see it more like this: A Patreon supporter is not a dev's employer or somebody who bankrolls a project like an investor. (That is what commisions and Kickstarter is for) It is a voluntary donation and it gives you zero rights and your expectations do not matter! Which is why I think we should all keep our collective traps shut and let dev's just get on with it! You might make a polite request along with a donation but that. Is. It! If you think a creator is going off the rails: just withdraw support but don't be a bitch about it (like so many people on here) They are their own boss and they run the project. We are envoys software pirates and we take what is offered! ;)
It is kinda hard to express my views and ideas about these things, especially in a place and crowd that tends to keep their blood flow focused away from their brains :p
Dude, I don't get you. If people don't like something they have the right to say it. They just can't demand the dev to do it. It is a forum about the game after all. If we can't tell here what we don't like about the game where will we? Isn't it the point of a forum to discuss?

Reactions: Vamori and phaubos
4.30 star(s) 172 Votes