4.60 star(s) 22 Votes

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
For such a "simple" game with such a harsh vision distance limitation... why does it run so ... "bad".
Like im on a 5800x3d and a 6700XT, id expect something like this to run on absolute max with hundreds of frames... but no.

Im getting 129-130 fps 1080p with AA off.
Turning `shadow quality` off gets me +20 fps
`Shadow quality - high` +`Character shadows - off` has no effect. 129-130 again.

Maybe there's no culling?
Maybe its the film grain effect?
or maybe its just unreal engine being an absolute GPU hog for no real reason as usual?
Man its strange.

Not gonna lie the notes about the virus-like anti-cheat was funny tho. How does windows itself think something like thats ok?

D-R

Jul 3, 2017
is there anyway to turn that shitty FILM GRAIN OFF?

I see that enough with my visual disabilities and having it forced in a game just makes things 100x harder to see.
You can try this (i have yet to test it but i will soon)

1 - Go to C\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\HallsOfPaleWidow\Saved\Config\Windows and open the file Engine.ini with notepad or notepad+

2 - add this at the end

[SystemSettings]
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0

EDIT = 2 - ignore the previous passage

add this at the end

[SystemSettings]
r.FilmGrain=0

3 - save

4 - try the game

(You only need the filmgrain line but i added the others as well cuz those effects are garbage imo (in all videogames in general) - you can use this to do the same on all the other UE4/5 videogames out there btw, have fun.

Last edited:

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
1717160488391.png

Games alright.

• Some generation issues related to furniture causing blockages of movement
  • Dead end doorways
  • Flickering/z-fighting on some doorway's.
  • Maps naff, depth is hard to judge and so many overlaps cause issues.
  • Item spawns a bit fucky and not being able to hold more than 1 of a consumable at a time is odd considering how often they spawn next to each other.

Since thats basically the entire game complete, now to have some fun....

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
~Qwik Mafs~
So to unlock everything in the game you need more than 13,625(+)
I got 545 for a ~15 min completion.
That's about ~25 games ... of the same thing in a row.
15 mins each is about 6:30
6 and a half hours to unlock everything shown. (More to unlock and pay for later)

Man...

Krasue

Restless Spirit
Game Developer
Jun 22, 2019
1 - Go to C\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\HallsOfPaleWidow\Saved\Config\Windows and open the file Engine.ini with notepad or notepad+

2 - add this at the end

[SystemSettings]
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
To disable film grain the line you need is r.FilmGrain=0. Tonemapper is already off and so is DoF. Motionblur is tied to a setting in the menu. The edit should look like this:

[SystemSettings]
r.FilmGrain=0

Reactions: cooldude33 and D-R

Printed-ID

Nov 12, 2018
"Crack heads in my basement"
" Crack Heads in my basement "
" Some people say it is hunted "
" but their just crack heads "

" Sometime I visit them"
" To see if they do well"
" And when I approach them "
" they stab me with something homemade "

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
Huh none of the unlocks seem to be working. Neat.
Well fuck playing normally, time to cheat.

ChaoticGoon

Aug 21, 2021
For such a "simple" game with such a harsh vision distance limitation... why does it run so ... "bad".
Like im on a 5800x3d and a 6700XT, id expect something like this to run on absolute max with hundreds of frames... but no.

Im getting 129-130 fps 1080p with AA off.
Turning `shadow quality` off gets me +20 fps
`Shadow quality - high` +`Character shadows - off` has no effect. 129-130 again.

Maybe there's no culling?
Maybe its the film grain effect?
or maybe its just unreal engine being an absolute GPU hog for no real reason as usual?
Man its strange.

Not gonna lie the notes about the virus-like anti-cheat was funny tho. How does windows itself think something like thats ok?
fiddling with the rendering resolution slider seems to fix things for myself

ArmoredRacoon

Mar 19, 2018
Game didn't crash for me and was finally able to beat the game. I enjoyed it, but hugely disappointed that there are a whopping 3 scenes. That's kinda sad and lazy to be honest. Really hoping there is a sequel or an update that contains many more scenes. Still overall enjoyed it though. The procedural generation could be a bit better too but overall it was fine and I enjoyed my time with the game.

Does anyone know of other games very similar to this?

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 22 Votes