botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
My, my but Elise is a cutie. Love how she's always blushing.

But damn are these qte events annoying.
They are bad in action games, if used to oftena dn tbh imo they have no place at all in this type of game, apart from being an annoyance.

vimmers

Engaged Member
Aug 12, 2017
taekopan
like many others i think qte are annoying
but i can live with it
but i think you shall limit it to W,A,S;D for right handed
and arrow keys for left handed
keep up the good work

Reactions: botc76

DudeManrod

Oct 17, 2017
I was enjoying this game till about the third different qte. After failing it several times i had to give up.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
but i think you shall limit it to W,A,S;D for right handed
and arrow keys for left handed
Except that WASD is a pain in the ass if you don't have a QWERTY keyboard.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
dunno how other keyboards layout are
i only know the scandinavian keyboards
that are a qwerty
Well, you can have a look a the other layouts if you want, the have most of them illustrated ; only the default AZERTY layout is just described.
But the kind of layout itself is just a global guide. Spanish AZERTY keyboard aren't exactly the same than French one by example. Like the layout of your keyboard probably isn't the same than an English/US QWERTY keyboard. Scandinavian languages have accented characters, while English have none, and some special characters are moved/switched to offer an easier use depending of the character recurrence in your language.
Even the "function" keys (in a loose way, so including Delete, Home, etc.) can't be expected to be at the same place within the same layout. By example, keyboards of portable computers tend to need the use of an additional fnct key to access them. This while, by example, some laptop keyboards put the block including Home in two rows, when other put them in two columns ; I even once saw them as a single columns.

In the end, the only keys that will not lead to trouble are the Fx, the arrow keys and few basic functions keys (ctrl, shift, alt, tab, backspace, enter, Caps Lock, escape and space). They are the only one that, even if their place can vary, are guaranties to be easily accessible and not lead to struggle when you need to press them in a given order.

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
@taekopan can you add skipp minigames in the future, i dont usually like game where i have to keep my eye out for pressing letters....i prefer to just read and enjoy the story, (the health and red thing i dont mind since that seems okey, but pressing keys with time is tiring if u want in the future do a replay. thats all i have to say, i liked the game and hope u add a way for us lazzy guys to skip qtes xD

Reactions: Rondrian

taekopan

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback.

First off, I know QTEs are generally hated, I hate them sometimes too! It is human nature to dislike running out of time, clocks ticking down, react or lose scenarios. But the game was conceptualized and built around the QTE and rollback mechanics with the power narrative. Those elements are not there for the sake of being there. What is currently seen in the alpha builds are the barebones of these systems. There are so much I could potentially do with those frameworks, an example of this is the lunch QTE scenes. Yeah, they feel like an annoyance, kinda like every tutorial section at the start of every game.

Multiple keyboard layout was an oversight on my part. *face palm* So sorry for that. They will be made easier, 4 keys to choose from and taking different keyboard layouts into account. It will also be skippable once you go through it once, I know.. Just try to go through it once. Though this is not applied for now, I will be working on it. Skipping QTEs is not as simple as skipping scenes. The QTEs interact with so many variables and systems. I have to be careful.

If you don't want to give it a try due to QTEs, I respect that. For those that are on the fence about it, I do encourage to give the game a try. It may not offer much now, but I assure you it will get better over time. One thing I can promise though, QTEs will never be used to gate sex scenes, ever. Or it will never interrupt sex scenes. That is just anally mean.

Secondly, I have to apologize for the quality of the animations for the courtyard scene. It was rushed. I had to release the 2nd build fast to check if having two animations playing at the same time would lag systems. If it lags then I have to change the way the dual viewport works. There was even a report of exceeding renpy's 2gb memory cap. Memory leaks are a pain to debug, currently I am still finding the culprit. It was also the first time I had to animate a big scene, big meaning lots of moving parts. Sadly, it didn't came as what I envisioned the scene to be. Most of the animations there will be replaced on the third(and hopefully final) alpha build.

Lastly, thanks to all who tried out and even liked my game. It means a lot. 3rd alpha build will most likely come mid to late April. It will contain the entire Day 1. I know the updates are slow, please understand that I have to work with what I have. Fortunately, I'm using Octane render now. The vram management is a whole lot better, most scenes can be loaded into my 1070ti where iRay cannot. Turn around time for renders are miles faster as well.

vimmers

Engaged Member
Aug 12, 2017
taekopan
good to know that you take suggestions into account
and good idea with the qte that people shall do them first time and then can skip them later
if it's the same scene

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I think the game has potential, but no matter the idea behind it, as it is there are already way too many qtes around.
It already diminishes the enjoyment you get from playing.

Reactions: ive_got-problems

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I think the game has potential, but no matter the idea behind it, as it is there are already way too many qtes around.
It already diminishes the enjoyment you get from playing.
Rly? I actually like the QTEs. I wouldn't be a fan of them if they were implemented all the time in games, but esp. in adult games it's fairly uncommon to have them at all, let alone to have them implemented in this way.

I do think it would be closer to ideal of there were some logic to detect what type of keyboard you're using. If that's possible, the QTE could be different depending on layout (so WASD for a QWERTY, ZQSD for AZERTY, CHTN for Dvorak, or WARS for Colemak — idk how many of these would be used by someone playing an adult game / VN like this). The QTEs being so tailored to the device / layout, they might not be such a struggle for some users.

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
I was really enjoying the game, even the mini games were not that bad, until I got to the second one in he classroom I think. Where you have to press a button a bunch of times to fill up the bar. For one, it keeps picking D which makes something pop up in ren'py so I can't click on the red dot afterwards. But even when it doesn't give me D as the letter choice, I can't seem to get the bar to fill up and having to keep reload and trying again because I don't want to continue without filling the bar. Kinda annoying me into wanting to play something else at this point, which sucks cause it was a pretty cool game up until then.

Reactions: botc76

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I was really enjoying the game, even the mini games were not that bad, until I got to the second one in he classroom I think. Where you have to press a button a bunch of times to fill up the bar. For one, it keeps picking D which makes something pop up in ren'py so I can't click on the red dot afterwards. But even when it doesn't give me D as the letter choice, I can't seem to get the bar to fill up and having to keep reload and trying again because I don't want to continue without filling the bar. Kinda annoying me into wanting to play something else at this point, which sucks cause it was a pretty cool game up until then.
Yeah, it seems like that mechanic was designed with a desktop / laptop keyboard in mind, not a mobile device. On my desktop machine, I just held both index fingers above the key in question and alternated tapping between them, like playing drums on the one key. I'd just move both fingers to a new key when it showed up.

Reactions: ive_got-problems
4.10 star(s) 42 Votes