Mod Ren'Py Hard to Love [S1 v0.0.42 & S2 v0.062] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
No problem in unmodded version
Now, with that "no problem" unmodded version, install the mod into that VN installation, fire up the VN, and start a new playthough and report back please. Insure that you are installing the mod as directed though, this is very important. It should ask if you want to overwrite one file when you install the mod inside an unmodded VN.

Reactions: M1cha31

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Its working fine no errors this time.
I honestly can't tell you what the problem was bud... as stated that error should simply be impossible according the the dev's code... or everyone who had ever tried v0.05 (unmodded or modded) would have had the same exact crash. Very odd.

Reactions: M1cha31

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Just to avoid confusion, I'm assuming it's just a naming discrepancy, but the links in the OP for S1 both point to files with a version listed as 0.041 as opposed to the game being 0.042.
I take it you just uploaded the fix without renaming the file?
Indeed. S1 mod is compatible with both v0.041 and v0.042

It makes an installed unmodded v0.041 into v0.042 so that's why I have it that way but I understand for v0.042 folks that is also confusion. I'll clarify in the OP bud.
Done as long as folks read the info above the DL links at a minimum:
1684460340676.png

Reactions: FaceCrap

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Sancho1969 Can I put a small request in for the core features?
I play a lot of VN's for which you don't make mods, as such I've grown custom to use quick save slots a lot for my own benefit.
But most times I play a VN with a mod by your hand, I often forget to keep the first quick slot free.
This then results in losing the save I made when I reach the end of an update and your automatic save feature kicks in.
Would you please consider putting in a switch to toggle the use of your automatic quick slot save at the end of an update?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I play a lot of VN's for which you don't make mods, as such I've grown custom to use quick save slots a lot for my own benefit.
But most times I play a VN with a mod by your hand, I often forget to keep the first quick slot free.
This then results in losing the save I made when I reach the end of an update and your automatic save feature kicks in.
Would you please consider putting in a switch to toggle the use of your automatic quick slot save at the end of an update?
Possible but I don't want the mod too get so complex that it confuses folks. Why not simply at the beginning of every VN you play, at the start of the VN make a "dummy" save in Q1 then whenever you press "QSave" in the QuickMenu it just goes to the next slot... then Q1 is always free to be overwritten (I actually name the save "Dummy" if I've coded the VN already). Works for me, might work for your flow as well. Just a thought bud.

Edit: WAIT. Fuck me. (embarrassed face) My dev code for VN's is different than that I push public... Q1 always gets overwritten in normal unmodded VN's via QSave... but I code my personal dev builds of the mod so it goes to the next free slot. Let me chew on it bud. I forget sometimes all the features I personally have in my mods that the public doesn't... my bad on the above practice.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, I've been thinking about two different approaches while I'm hammering code in a new SanchoMod for another VN, so pic example(s) will be from that.

Option 1 (the easiest) is to do as you suggest and simply make an option for it to be toggled off. This would be simple and allow me to bring the "s" key option out of "Cheats" and into "Options" since there would be an even number for that screen's balance. Cons: although very simple to code I'm afraid most folks wouldn't even know the option exists without studying each mod's SanchoOptions/Cheats screen to see if it exists or not, plus it's just not very flexible tbh.

Option 2 (the most complex but I've already success with a tech demo) is to claim my own page so I get several slots that will allow me to even make auto-saves on a per chapter/episode basis. I liked the idea with my current hangover so I decided to give it a whirl and this is what I came up with off the cuff:

The screenshot below is the last scene of this other VN's particular episode two. Since the Core mod now recognizes what episode/chapter your on (via the stat usually found under the player's "Name" in the stats), it automatically makes a save in the second slot (since it's episode two) and names it appropriately.
1684613316582.png
Now, you'll notice that I claimed an entire page for myself ("69" being the obvious page choice of course) and since that page number would take too many right-page grouping clicks (the ">>" button) for the Player to find and access it I also added a quick page button to it in the Save/Load screen. All of these things are marked with red arrows in the above screeny.

So, it was a bit more complicated to write the code into the Core but now that it's in there it's easily accessed at anytime I need it. So, yes, an option to toggle the save on page Quick would have been easy enough, but I kinda think this other approach is cooler and has more expandability in the future.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Thoughts?
Ooohhh, Nifty :D I Like (y)
69 :ROFLMAO:
On the topic of expandability, if a game happens to contain more chapters than the default 6 slots, it would be fairly easy to roll over to the next page.
That is if the game itself already doesn't have more slots per page than the default 6.

Last edited:

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
I fell asleep last night, so my nightly gaming session turned into my morning gaming session, but with that said, did get caught up with the Dev, and all that fighting, bloody hell, but no problems I could see from your mod, and thank you so very much for your work on this!!!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, I've been thinking about two different approaches while I'm hammering code in a new SanchoMod for another VN, so pic example(s) will be from that.

Option 1 (the easiest) is to do as you suggest and simply make an option for it to be toggled off. This would be simple and allow me to bring the "s" key option out of "Cheats" and into "Options" since there would be an even number for that screen's balance. Cons: although very simple to code I'm afraid most folks wouldn't even know the option exists without studying each mod's SanchoOptions/Cheats screen to see if it exists or not, plus it's just not very flexible tbh.

Option 2 (the most complex but I've already success with a tech demo) is to claim my own page so I get several slots that will allow me to even make auto-saves on a per chapter/episode basis. I liked the idea with my current hangover so I decided to give it a whirl and this is what I came up with off the cuff:

The screenshot below is the last scene of this other VN's particular episode two. Since the Core mod now recognizes what episode/chapter your on (via the stat usually found under the player's "Name" in the stats), it automatically makes a save in the second slot (since it's episode two) and names it appropriately.
Now, you'll notice that I claimed an entire page for myself ("69" being the obvious page choice of course) and since that page number would take too many right-page grouping clicks (the ">>" button) for the Player to find and access it I also added a quick page button to it in the Save/Load screen. All of these things are marked with red arrows in the above screeny.

So, it was a bit more complicated to write the code into the Core but now that it's in there it's easily accessed at anytime I need it. So, yes, an option to toggle the save on page Quick would have been easy enough, but I kinda think this other approach is cooler and has more expandability in the future.

Thoughts?
FYI: I implemented Option 2 in a new SanchoMod release for "Forbidden Basketball" if you want to see how this all works in practice. I tested it extensively and it seems to work fantastic... and it's even coded to insure the Player doesn't get too out of control in SanchoCheats (it sets the various vars to a preset maximum so as not to break anything in the VN's future).

Nightrunner0

Jul 20, 2017
In the season 1 mod i can only see the scenes from chapter 1 and 2 is that supposed to be like that or did something go wrong?

thang123

Nov 23, 2018
Just download the Mod today. But when I get to the Gallery, only 2 scenes are shown. Anyone knows why this happen. Thanks in advance. 1687675377336.png

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
In the season 1 mod i can only see the scenes from chapter 1 and 2 is that supposed to be like that or did something go wrong?
Nothing is wrong but yes, it's confusing. Here's how the two versions are summarized to the best of my ability on my first cup of coffee:

Season 1 (I'm calling it "Season 1" since v0.0.5's loading screen clearly states "Season 2")
  • Contains Episode 1 thru Episode 4 (according to the script file naming convention)
  • Correlation is:
    • Ep1 = Prologue (according to the script file labels)
    • Ep2 = Chapter 1 (according to the script file labels)
    • Ep3-Ep4 =Chapter 2 (according to the script file labels)
Season 2 (this came out of the blue, caused much confusion as I initiated in VN thread's posts here and here for example)
  • Contains Episode 5 (according to the script file naming convention and it's associated labels)
  • I have no idea what "Chapter" it's considered, maybe Chapter 3, maybe not.
According to one on the team: " first 4 chapters will stay standalone, untill they will be fixed, reworked and rewritten in the future "

The problem I have with the above quote is that it says "first 4 chapters" which (according to the scripts) are not "chapters" but "episodes", and there's only 2 chapters so far according to "season 1" scripts. So, it appears even the dev team is confused about their own product and what the hell is going on here.

So, to answer your questions, yes, Season 1 of the mod has scenes in SanchoGallery labeled "Chapter 1" and "Chapter 2" receptively due to the above information.

Long-ass answer, right? Not my fault, clearly, this was a dev team decision and I wasn't involved in it at all personally.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Geez... I finally got it to fire up after spending hours porting one file at a time ad nauseam (due to all the file names being changed again). Hopefully I have most of the base ported and it won't explode when I actually start the game:
1690035037712.png

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes