Mod Ren'Py Hard to Love [S1 v0.0.42 & S2 v0.062] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes
Jan 18, 2020
So I have the mod installed. All the menus work. I have the choice guide activated, but I'm not seeing any hints. Just got past the prologue. Am I missing something? I have the compressed version of the game. Could that be an issue?

CRAZY X WIZARD

Grand Wizard
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Jun 13, 2022
Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hard to Love [v0.03] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]
For
Hard to Love [v0.03] [Qori Gaming]
Compressed by CRAZY X WIZARD

Note - this version of the mod only works with CRAZY X WIZARD compression - Hard to Love [v0.03] Q80 Compressed

Original Mod - Hard to Love [v0.03] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

Like my posts, if you like my Compressions and Mods ;)
Good morning (late morning but I stayed up way too long last night). I can't really recommend this approach for two main reasons out of several:
  1. it becomes deprecated immediately whenever the mod has a maintenance update
  2. it's far easier to instruct folks to simply delete all the rpyc files from that particular compressed version after installing the mod.
That's a much easier process and doesn't become outdated until the actual VN updates. The other reasons are obvious to me but not so much to others so I'll leave those be for the time being except that there is indeed more ways than one to skin a cat, but the approach used in your post is one of the worst and messiest... in my opinion. Item #2 above is the by far a superior approach only being trumped by actually resupplying a properly processed compressed package.

I'd be glad to offer assistance now and in the future if something doesn't make sense, honestly.

CRAZY X WIZARD

Grand Wizard
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Jun 13, 2022
Good morning (late morning but I stayed up way too long last night). I can't really recommend this approach for two main reasons out of several:
  1. it becomes deprecated immediately whenever the mod has a maintenance update
  2. it's far easier to instruct folks to simply delete all the rpyc files from that particular compressed version after installing the mod.
That's a much easier process and doesn't become outdated until the actual VN updates. The other reasons are obvious to me but not so much to others so I'll leave those be for the time being except that there is indeed more ways than one to skin a cat, but the approach used in your post is one of the worst and messiest... in my opinion. Item #2 above is the by far a superior approach only being trumped by actually resupplying a properly processed compressed package.

I'd be glad to offer assistance now and in the future if something doesn't make sense, honestly.
Can you test this and see if it works with your mod?

I repackaged it.(I have just learned how to repack through SDK)

Reactions: AVERAGE GAMER

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020

Sure, give me a bit after I get breakfast sorted. FYI, as a compressor you don't have to repack it honestly. You can do that if you wish (you will always have to make sure you have the correct version of RenPy for the VN specifically though which can be a pain in the arse). An alternate way is to simply remove all the loose scripts (rpy & rpyc) and copy/paste the original rpa files (that aren't related to images/animations of course). The latter is easier since you can't bork it except if you don't know where all the loose script files are. The latter is also what most of the compressors are doing to make their jobs easier and less prone to fubar/borked releases.Make sense?

Reactions: CRAZY X WIZARD

CRAZY X WIZARD

Grand Wizard
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Jun 13, 2022
Sure, give me a bit after I get breakfast sorted. FYI, as a compressor you don't have to repack it honestly. You can do that if you wish (you will always have to make sure you have the correct version of RenPy for the VN specifically though which can be a pain in the arse). An alternate way is to simply remove all the loose scripts (rpy & rpyc) and copy/paste the original rpa files (that aren't related to images/animations of course). The latter is easier since you can't bork it except if you don't know where all the loose script files are. Make sense?
Thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Edit: I am using this guide

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020

P.S. Remember (of course) some devs don't archive properly or at all. Those that don't have have loose code scripts in their original packaging then none of what I said matters. We all have to deal with that as it is... which is there's nothing we can do about it. The issue always centers around most proper VN's that have packaged (archived) content.

Reactions: CRAZY X WIZARD

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Edit: I am using this guide
That's not the worst guide. FAP does good work the majority of the time, I know him well. Personally (it doesn't matter, it's just habit) in step one I don't dig inside the "script_version" but I actually fire up the game once virgin from the dev, it produces a "log.txt" file automatically, inside that log file has almost all the info you need. Again, it's not right or wrong, it's just the way I personally work. Any insight you get from those more experienced compressors is going to help you. I know most of them personally and have worked with a few to get things were we all can live in harmony. It's a bit of a pain in the ass for all of us involved but at the end of the day the reason we do it this way is to insure it's as efficient and painless for the end user as possible... as they are the only point of doing any of this to begin with.

CRAZY X WIZARD

Grand Wizard
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Jun 13, 2022
That's not the worst guide. FAP does good work the majority of the time, I know him well. Personally (it doesn't matter, it's just habit) in step one I don't dig inside the "script_version" but I actually fire up the game once virgin from the dev, it produces a "log.txt" file automatically, inside that log file has almost all the info you need. Again, it's not right or wrong, it's just the way I personally work. Any insight you get from those more experienced compressors is going to help you. I know most of them personally and have worked with a few to get things were we all can live in harmony. It's a bit of a pain in the ass for all of us involved but at the end of the day the reason we do it this way is to insure it's as efficient and painless for the end user as possible... as they are the only point of doing any of this to begin with.
Thanks for the info, I will try it out next time :)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
"player's choice" means whatever option I prefer?
Indeed. There's a full legend in the OP if needed bud. "Player's choice" is my way of saying no stat or event variables are altered but dialogue is obviously impacted, possibly throughout the story. Regards.

Reactions: DrSpecial

otronegro

Jan 24, 2020
Hey Sancho, is it possible to include in your mods a slider for how quick the "auto forward" function works?

I love that you include the possibility to use that function for AVNS that disable the quick menu but as a non english native speaker I tend to read a bit slower than your average reader so sometimes I have to rollback because the text moves on before I get to finish what was written.

otronegro

Jan 24, 2020
I really hate to "click" or have to "press enter" every screen so I even dug around a script to set an auto forward for me when a game doesn't have one. It works good but I don't really know how to "set a speed" so to speak on it.

I know I'm pushing a little here but is it possible for you to tell me how to set a changeable value on the script so I can finally find a suitable "speed" for my reading? :sneaky:

You are the best buddy, sorry to bug you on this.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I really hate to "click" or have to "press enter" every screen so I even dug around a script to set an auto forward for me when a game doesn't have one. It works good but I don't really know how to "set a speed" so to speak on it.

I know I'm pushing a little here but is it possible for you to tell me how to set a changeable value on the script so I can finally find a suitable "speed" for my reading? :sneaky:

You are the best buddy, sorry to bug you on this.
You're on the right track... you just got off into the ditch a bit. Change what you had to this:
Python:
init 200 python: # SanchoNote: before you simply defined at the same time the VN did, now it's changed last (doesn't need to be over 200 imho)
    preferences.text_cps = 25 # SanchoNote: change this number for how fast the text displays in the diabox
    preferences.afm_time = 18 # SanchoNote: change this number for how fast the transition is to the next screen/scene

Reactions: otronegro

Sweetmate

Mar 20, 2019
Doesn't seem to work on Joiplay, game freezes after clicking start. Works fine without the mod. Any ideas?

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes