Mod Ren'Py Harem Hotel: Expanded Mod / Lain's Walkthrough Mod [v0.17.2] [Maid Lain]

5.00 star(s) 16 Votes

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Maim Lain
There has been an update for the game .
Are you planning on updating your mod to the latest version?

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
When I start the game (0.8.2 + Mod), I get this error message:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The current version of this mod is for v0.8.1 of the game.
The mod hasn't been update to v0.8.2, you either need to wait for Lain to update the mod, play without the mod or just use the mod with version 0.8.1 of the game.

Reactions: SandmansMisery

Mikilande

May 21, 2018
Does anyone know when the update of "Lain's Walkthrough + New Scenes Mod[v0.8.2]" will take place?

Quickpawmaud

Jul 4, 2019
I tracked down a google drive from deep in the main thread if anyone needs to download 8.1
I hope in the future you could put the version the mod requires in the post so people can get the old files

Tset

Aug 21, 2017
To have a somewhat working mod on 8.2, extract 8.2, extract mod, extract 8.2 again (overwrite everything) and delete lin_event.rpyc

Reactions: andersniet

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
I tracked down a google drive from deep in the main thread if anyone needs to download 8.1
I hope in the future you could put the version the mod requires in the post so people can get the old files
I tend to think that when it says "Game Version" in the OP, that's usually talking about the version of the game and not the mod. Besides, given how often people don't bother checking the OP or simply using the search function before bitching about something, one has to wonder how effective info in the OP really is.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
given how often people don't bother checking the OP or simply using the search function before bitching about something, one has to wonder how effective info in the OP really is.
Yeah putting the game version in the thread title, top of the thread OP, in the installation instructions, and in the mod zip file filename is kinda pointless. As long as there is a download of the mod, people will download it and try to use it regardless of which version it says it is, which is why I have to remove all the download links for a mod if a game is updated and write in 72 size bolded font at the top of the thread "Download links temporarily removed, I'm updating the mod".

When I do that though, there's always 2-3 people that ask:
"where is the download link???"
"why cant i download wtf ??"

Anyways, I'm probably going to update mod today. I wanted to add another custom scene but not 100% sure if I'll be able to or not.

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
Yeah putting the game version in the thread title, top of the thread OP, in the installation instructions, and in the mod zip file filename is kinda pointless. As long as there is a download of the mod, people will download it and try to use it regardless of which version it says it is, which is why I have to remove all the download links for a mod if a game is updated and write in 72 size bolded font at the top of the thread "Download links temporarily removed, I'm updating the mod".

Anyways, I'm probably going to update mod today. I wanted to add another custom scene but not 100% sure if I'll be able to or not.
It's really the same as the people who are too lazy to check out the Patch Notes on new releases or even read FAQs. Maybe it's harder to think when your hands are full.

Reactions: fireball98762

Quickpawmaud

Jul 4, 2019
I tend to think that when it says "Game Version" in the OP, that's usually talking about the version of the game and not the mod. Besides, given how often people don't bother checking the OP or simply using the search function before bitching about something, one has to wonder how effective info in the OP really is.
Not sure how you totally misunderstood what I am talking about but you did. It is hard to find old download links to the actual game. I am saying it would be nice if in the post you have a download link to the old version of the game as well as the mod so that you can download the compatible game version. I had to dig through 50 pages on the main thread to find a download for version 8.1. Since I had not played the game in awhile I never downloaded that version of the game and had no access to it since the patreon and main thread purged all links to the old version as soon as a new update came out. All I was asking for is to put a download link to 8.1 since 8.1 is what the mod requires. That way later on when a new update comes out people can easily download the old version when they complain it does not work with the new update. So I would ask when the mod is updated put a download link to 8.2 so when 8.3 comes out people can still download 8.2 to play with the mod.

Reactions: Master of Puppets

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Not sure how you totally misunderstood what I am talking about but you did. It is hard to find old download links to the actual game. I am saying it would be nice if in the post you have a download link to the old version of the game as well as the mod so that you can download the compatible game version. I had to dig through 50 pages on the main thread to find a download for version 8.1. Since I had not played the game in awhile I never downloaded that version of the game and had no access to it since the patreon and main thread purged all links to the old version as soon as a new update came out. All I was asking for is to put a download link to 8.1 since 8.1 is what the mod requires. That way later on when a new update comes out people can easily download the old version when they complain it does not work with the new update. So I would ask when the mod is updated put a download link to 8.2 so when 8.3 comes out people can still download 8.2 to play with the mod.
Makes sense to me; you see it every time the game updates – someone tries the new game with the old mod, it obviously doesn't work, and everyone tells them 'wait for the mod to update or play with the old version', but you can't download the old version anymore.

Reactions: Quickpawmaud

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
Makes sense to me; you see it every time the game updates – someone tries the new game with the old mod, it obviously doesn't work, and everyone tells them 'wait for the mod to update or play with the old version', but you can't download the old version anymore.
How about maybe playing the game without the mod until it gets updated?
TBH, it's not a mod author's responsibility to make sure there's a version of the game that's compatible with their mod version. It's their responsibility to make sure to update their mod to work with the current version of the game in a timely manner.

There's also something to consider. Right now, there's a link in the OP that will take you to the Harem Hotel site where you can download v0.8.2. Once Lain updates the mod, everything will be good. However, should Runey decide to patch HH to v0.8.3, this will mean that the download link at the HH site will be updated to this. Now Lain would have to upload the previous version somewhere or find a location that already has it and then post the link to that spot. That would take a lot of time out of Lain's schedule for working on updating the patch in the hopes of posting it before the next game update/patch. It would be much easier to ask the OP of the HH page to add a link to an older version on the main page.

Quickpawmaud

Jul 4, 2019
How about maybe playing the game without the mod until it gets updated?
TBH, it's not a mod author's responsibility to make sure there's a version of the game that's compatible with their mod version. It's their responsibility to make sure to update their mod to work with the current version of the game in a timely manner.

There's also something to consider. Right now, there's a link in the OP that will take you to the Harem Hotel site where you can download v0.8.2. Once Lain updates the mod, everything will be good. However, should Runey decide to patch HH to v0.8.3, this will mean that the download link at the HH site will be updated to this. Now Lain would have to upload the previous version somewhere or find a location that already has it and then post the link to that spot. That would take a lot of time out of Lain's schedule for working on updating the patch in the hopes of posting it before the next game update/patch. It would be much easier to ask the OP of the HH page to add a link to an older version on the main page.
Never said it was their responsibility I just asked that it be added. Also I found a link to 8.1 and the only reason it was hard is because it is old. If a download link is posted when it is new it will be easy to find. And I did ask on the patreon for Runey to keep links to old version for a few months not sure if they will or not. Also I would sooner not play the game than play without the mod the game sucks when you have to grind it is so boring.

LeLeon

Aug 9, 2019

So true,

just take your time. Better later, than with errors, where the ungrateful people can complain about again.

People often forget, that the posters in general and programmers of mods do it almost for free. Thank you for your efforts on so many great and helpful mods.

tincann

Jul 18, 2017
Maim Lain, your work is fabulous. Your mods make really good games better & your work is greatly appreciated. I agree with others, you do not need to rush, a release without errors is always preferred.

If those few little :poop: that whine they want the mod the day a new update occurs, well they just need to learn patience, for once in their lives. Your mods are so good, if you have made any for a game, I wait for your update before I even think of playing the new version.

Thanks again for all your hard work.:cool:

5.00 star(s) 16 Votes