Zamboobafoo

Jan 11, 2019
Me, typically when playing a game I will have music or a video on in the background, I mute the game not the speakers.
I don't mute Harem Hotel I like the background tracks but still I understand thedevians point about audio at the start of a game, just listen to what plays when you load twosides.
Fair enough, makes sense.

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
What I've been doing is launching Volume Mixer, then launching the game, Alt Tabbing to Volume Mixer, then set the volume low. Doing it this way, sound wont even have a chance to start before you can change it's volume.

It may require fast reaction times, but my ears have been safe ever since.

Also, HH already has music that starts when you launch the game. With the new splash screen, you'll have far more time to switch to the volume mixer using the method above. I've also added more tracks to some events in v0.8.2
It's the new splash screen that I wish had some sound, but I understand the difficulties some people may have with it. (I suppose this means I can't suggest "Flight of the Valkyries" as a tune.;)) For those of us not bothered by it, would there be a way to have a default where there's no sound for the splash screen but be able to turn it on in Options once the menu appears?

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
What I've been doing is launching Volume Mixer, then launching the game, Alt Tabbing to Volume Mixer, then set the volume low. Doing it this way, sound wont even have a chance to start before you can change it's volume.

It may require fast reaction times, but my ears have been safe ever since.

Also, HH already has music that starts when you launch the game. With the new splash screen, you'll have far more time to switch to the volume mixer using the method above. I've also added more tracks to some events in v0.8.2
Again, I am old and disabled, I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination. :LOL:
There is pretty much one constant that tends to be always open on my desktop and that would be windows volume mixer.
I usually have 20+ windows open at any given time, but that is rarely one of them any more. I tend to be more of the set it, and forget it types. The only things I want to change once they are set are the media players, and I use the volume they have built in instead, I find that much easier, same with games, I set the volumes in the game so it can adjust its own volume (for me, that is usually set in the 0-5% range). I have started opening it before I start some new games when I remember, so I can hit that mute button if needed, but I still find it an offensive thing to make people do, and it tends to turn me off of a game, like a girl with fake tits. I don't have time for many games these days, so it doesn't take much to put me off one any more...

At least in this case I would be grandfathered in, as long as the sound is not independent of the controls in the options, but for a game I haven't played before, it is much easier to reach for that X or to hit Alt+F4 than opening the volume mixer.
It would probably be a good idea to set the default volume level to 50% rather than 100%, that would help somewhat.
I started on that was about 25% the other day, still a bit loud for my tastes, but it was not so loud that I had to worry about disturbing anyone, just enough for me to jump for the options as soon as they came up. :LOL:

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
I usually have 20+ windows open at any given time, but that is rarely one of them any more. I tend to be more of the set it, and forget it types. The only things I want to change once they are set are the media players, and I use the volume they have built in instead, I find that much easier, same with games, I set the volumes in the game so it can adjust its own volume (for me, that is usually set in the 0-5% range). I have started opening it before I start some new games when I remember, so I can hit that mute button if needed, but I still find it an offensive thing to make people do, and it tends to turn me off of a game, like a girl with fake tits. I don't have time for many games these days, so it doesn't take much to put me off one any more...

At least in this case I would be grandfathered in, as long as the sound is not independent of the controls in the options, but for a game I haven't played before, it is much easier to reach for that X or to hit Alt+F4 than opening the volume mixer.
20+ windows... wow I never have that many open at once.
Well yeah with my media player like foobar or potplayer I will use their volume controls but with games or whatever I find it easier to just lower their volume with the mixer, seeing as its right there.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
20+ windows... wow I never have that many open at once.
Well yeah with my media player like foobar or potplayer I will use their volume controls but with games or whatever I find it easier to just lower their volume with the mixer, seeing as its right there.
Yeah, there is usually daz, blender, photoshop, several browsers, several media players (MPC-HC), a hand full of text docs for notes and scripts, almost a dozen explorer windows, and then you have all the stuff in the system tray, like spell checkers, task bar tweakers, and so on. lol Always multitasking. Luckily, my system is beefy. But yeah, it's much easier to work in the active window, than finding the one I need in a hurry... :LOL:

This is one of my favorite games, and one of the few I like having the sounds on for, but sounds before you get get to the options menu, that will always get a down vote from me, no matter what the situation. I don't think asking to wait until we have access to the volume controls before making noise is asking too much, but clearly some people disagree with that... :ROFLMAO:

If that clip happened when you pressed start, or loaded a save or something, then I could see it, but as it is, I am not a big fan, even if it is something simple, like Jikei has for his opening. But then it is not so bad, as long as the default is not too high.

I didn't plan to revisit this topic, so to get back to something more fun, I want to say, kitties like cream...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I started on that was about 25% the other day, still a bit loud for my tastes, but it was not so loud that I had to worry about disturbing anyone, just enough for me to jump for the options as soon as they came up. :LOL:
Could be less, that would work too. As you say it's better to need to turn the volume up rather than down. I just say 50% because out of the hundreds of Ren'Py games I've played, I can count the ones where 50% volume wasn't 'about right' on one hand. I have no idea why the engine doesn't default to that, and makes the dev do it themselves; most of them don't, and it sucks.
Runey, what is the default volume level for HH? I know I had to turn it down when I started playing, but that was back in 0.2 or something, has it been updated since then?

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Could be less, that would work too. As you say it's better to need to turn the volume up rather than down. I just say 50% because out of the hundreds of Ren'Py games I've played, I can count the ones where 50% volume wasn't 'about right' on one hand. I have no idea why the engine doesn't default to that, and makes the dev do it themselves; most of them don't, and it sucks.
Runey, what is the default volume level for HH? I know I had to turn it down when I started playing, but that was back in 0.2 or something, has it been updated since then?
For me, 50% is still pretty loud, but it depends on the source audio. Me, I wouldn't go more than 10% to start, if they want it, they can turn it up. :sneaky:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
For me, 50% is still pretty loud, but it depends on the source audio. Me, I wouldn't go more than 10% to start, if they want it, they can turn it up. :sneaky:
That would be fine, we can turn it up, yeah. It just needs to be loud enough that you can tell there is sound to turn up; starting at zero wouldn't be right.

DougsLeftNut

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think Ashley is the right person for that. The animosity between her and the twins has yet to been fully resolved. And she only recently started to warm up to some of the longer members of the harem. Maria is probably a better candidate for that.

I also think we need to train the "do to me everything you do to her" out of Emma. Of course we need to make her feel equally loved and cherished. But she's her own self and doesn't need to mimic Felicity.
Hmm. I actually think it'd be a nice character moment if Ashley and Emma realized the reason for their animosity was almost solely due to Felicity and have them become friends, which eventually leads to a close friendship between the three of them when the sexiness spills over again between them (hopefully with them remembering this time.) But I could see Maria facilitating Ashley and Emma's relationship.

natsu3633

Jun 20, 2019
i need help been playing for like 10 hours and all my saves wont open up kinda pissed all the work I put in

4.70 star(s) 451 Votes