Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
We literally have the "versioning number" discussion a hundred times in every topic for every game. :)

At this point, some one needs to just list their game version as Ham Sandwich.Bacon.Cola just to really fuck with people.
This quote is never not going to be relevant.

harem - king

Feb 26, 2018
A bit confused about the numbering since the game version jumped from 0.9 to 0.1 (0.10 = 0.1)
Just ignore the decimal and just put a v.

In other words, v9 -> v10.

No idea why so many devs seem to love the decimal if updates are not to be taken as a percentage of an already planned whole.

• Angry
Reactions: Micma

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

No idea why so many devs seem to love the decimal if updates are not to be taken as a percentage of an already planned whole.
Because they want to make 1.0 the "final" release. And 1.1 the bugfix on the final release.

Reactions: imzahai

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
"planned" :ROFLMAO:

In my entire career as a dev, I don't think I've ever seen a planning hold up for more than a month.
In my line of work, I spend a lot of time planning what and how I'm going to do a project only to throw at least 90% of it out the window when I get there. The 10% I don't throw out is the part of the plan where I'll just have to make it up as I go.

Honestly, I find it interesting that so many people are concerned about what the version number is yet are completely oblivious as to what an Alpha or Beta is.

Last edited:

Mathesar

Mar 20, 2018
Because it's an incredibly standard software versioning system. I mean, Warcraft III is up to v1.32.5. And using the version number as a percentage in decimal format requires a lot more planning than you probably think. In order for the version number to accurately match, you would need to plan out every single scene before your first release, then never change anything. Any form of revision or especially feature creep is going to throw it off, not to mention what happens if something unexpected happens during development and you can't do something you planned.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, I've never written out a plot treatment for a manuscript, chapter by chapter, plotpoint by plotpoint, and have it stay true by the time I was halfway through the book.

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
Because it's an incredibly standard software versioning system. I mean, Warcraft III is up to v1.32.5. And using the version number as a percentage in decimal format requires a lot more planning than you probably think. In order for the version number to accurately match, you would need to plan out every single scene before your first release, then never change anything. Any form of revision or especially feature creep is going to throw it off, not to mention what happens if something unexpected happens during development and you can't do something you planned.
I think an easy way to think of it is that the actual "Version" of this game is v0. This means that v0.9 and v0.10 are updates to that version. When you add another decimal point (e.g., v0.9.2), that will usually indicate a patch/bugfix to that version/update.

One way of looking at v0.9.2 (for example) would be:

Version: 0
Update: 9
Patch: 2

This also means that you can expect there will be a v0.10.1 at some point after v0.10 comes out.

Reactions: Mathesar

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I think an easy way to think of it is that the actual "Version" of this game is v0. This means that v0.9 and v0.10 are updates to that version. When you add another decimal point (e.g., v0.9.2), that will usually indicate a patch/bugfix to that version/update.

One way of looking at v0.9.2 (for example) would be:

Version: 0
Update: 9
Patch: 2

This also means that you can expect there will be a v0.10.1 at some point after v0.10 comes out.
Yeah, it is just that some of us expect version numbers to be 'real' numbers ...but they are not. :p

Autism and/or OCD can make our minds scream out when we see things that go against what we think they should be. Math/Numbers have rules, and version numbers ignore most of them. ;)

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
Yeah, it is just that some of us expect version numbers to be 'real' numbers ...but they are not. :p

Autism and/or OCD can make our minds scream out when we see things that go against what we think they should be. Math/Numbers have rules, and version numbers ignore most of them. ;)
I guess that I've been playing video games for so long (since Pong:eek:) that I've just gotten used to being able to interpret various version formats.

All that really matters at the moment is that v0.10 is an Alpha build that is buggy and can break your saves, so don't use it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

The problem is you're applying the wrong rules.

A version number is not a "number", where 0.5 means 1/2. It's a set of values separated by a ".". Version 0.5 is Version "0" "." "5". 0.10 is "0" "." "10".

bigjohn2352

Jul 11, 2019
I still have incomplete story with Felicity and Emma, everyone else's story is fisished. Not sure what I need to do to move forward with the story.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

Version 0 means the product is incomplete.
Version 1 means the product is complete.
Version 2 would mean the product was overhauled or revamped.

Devs tend to put thought into their numbering systems, believe it or not. Warcraft, League of Legends, Minecraft, just about every dev uses a style like this because it's incredibly easily readable.

How are you going to know if v8 of Harem Hotel isn't finished? All v8 points out to the average user is "8 updates." Nothing about how far along the game is, or how close it is to being finished, or when the update was released.

v0.8 clearly tells you this is not complete, but there have been 8 updates still.
v5.6.2020 tells you when the update was released, but not about if it's stable, or complete, or if this is the first test build someone has released.
vCupcake is stupid

meanmike

Apr 1, 2019
It's happening :FacePalm:

TLDR: No, this is an alpha. What you see is 1 week's worth of development time.

Here's the definition of Alpha for you:
The "alpha phase" of software development follows the early programming and design stages, but precedes the "beta phase" in which the software closely resembles the final version.

Beta 1 adds at least 30 minutes of content for Lin alone.
So you're saying I'm a dumbass? Them's fighting words :)

Mathesar

Mar 20, 2018
Version 0 means the product is incomplete.
Version 1 means the product is complete.
Version 2 would mean the product was overhauled or revamped.

Devs tend to put thought into their numbering systems, believe it or not. Warcraft, League of Legends, Minecraft, just about every dev uses a style like this because it's incredibly easily readable.

How are you going to know if v8 of Harem Hotel isn't finished? All v8 points out to the average user is "8 updates." Nothing about how far along the game is, or how close it is to being finished, or when the update was released.

v0.8 clearly tells you this is not complete, but there have been 8 updates still.
v5.6.2020 tells you when the update was released, but not about if it's stable, or complete, or if this is the first test build someone has released.
vCupcake is stupid
The date system is great for something that doesn't have a defined end point but is out of beta, like operating systems. Linux just updates forever. Very much agree on the Android naming scheme being mostly useless. They're alphabetical, but the actual version number gives more information.

is there a compressed version for 0.10? 4.6gb on mega is too much to download...
Don't download v0.10. It's an incomplete alpha. It will most likely break your save and barely has any content anyway. There's a discussion about this all through the last few pages. Either grab v0.9.2 or wait until v0.10 is out of beta and has a public release.

harem - king

Feb 26, 2018
Wait, wait. Are you claiming that there are public builds of .01 to .99 of Warcraft III somewhere out there? Surely you know that the earliest launch build is the 1.0 build, right? Obviously if the initial version represents the whole that means that the developer considered it a full game. That's what "1.0" means. It's whole. Anything below 1.0 is not whole and is the fractional percentage that the game state is at. e.g. .08 = 8/100 = 8% complete relative to the whole.

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes