TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I honestly can't get myself to like Daz models, I am horrible at describing things but something about them just feel off for me to the point where I actively avoid them.
To me she doesn't look like Lin at all, but maybe that's just my distaste for Daz. Faces in particular matter to me, and in this case they don't look alike.
To give a different example, I looked forward to the development of Sylphia Island with HS models, but got disappointed when it was reworked as Sylphine with Daz models, simply because even if there was an attempt to make them look similar they looked vastly different in my eyes.
For me, they are too 'real', the more cartoony, the better. lol
But, you gotta do what you gotta do. Daz is what I work in right now, and trying to learn Studio NEO as well would just be too much. :p
Though, my biggest problem with most Daz models, is the lack of nipples, or any care to crafting the genitals. lol
Looks good! But there was something bugging me about it and I finally figured it out. Her freckles need to be more obvious / pronounced in my opinion.
Nice! Her freckles are subdued tho!!
The problem with freckles in Daz, is that usually they are part of the skin texture, not something added on top (and when it is, it messes with the genitals and nipples).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
But, you gotta do what you gotta do. Daz is what I work in right now, and trying to learn Studio NEO as well would just be too much. :p
Though, my biggest problem with most Daz models, is the lack of nipples, or any care to crafting the genitals. lol

The problem with freckles in Daz, is that usually they are part of the skin texture, not something added on top (and when it is, it messes with the genitals and nipples).
Hmm, well that's an issue then, don't fuck up her nipples or pussy! :ROFLMAO:

I'd say Skin 3 looks the closest to Lin in HS for the freckles, but Skin 1 has the closest skin-tone match. Hard to say what to prioritize to be honest. :unsure:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Hmm, well that's an issue then, don't fuck up her nipples or pussy! :ROFLMAO:

I'd say Skin 3 looks the closest to Lin in HS for the freckles, but Skin 1 has the closest skin-tone match. Hard to say what to prioritize to be honest. :unsure:
Thanks. Yeah, it's always a challenge in Daz. There are so many things to adjust... lol
Will see what happens when I mess with it again next time. ;)

Reactions: UnoriginalUserName

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022

It feels like the larger eyes might have helped some…
And the expression/eye squint/whatever =) is a factor.
The freckle / skin / genital problem is unenviable.

But YES … I feel for you … I don’t envy the task you are attempting but its a worthy effort by you.

Reactions: TheDevian

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018

Daz is too uncanny valley nightmare fuel for me. I have a deep rooted evolutionary need to smash nearly anything made in it.

as far as a specific thing that I think makes the face look unappealing, it’s her mouth. It may just be the pose, but it looks like the skin abover her upper lip and below her nose is puffed out and looks almost animal like to me.

I also don’t like Daz hair at all. Sorry, Daz is just terrible, I hate it so much. I think I’ve seen maybe 3 faces total that don’t make me want to go on an irrational rampage to defend the species.

Reactions: xZecretX

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
It feels like the larger eyes might have helped some…
And the expression/eye squint/whatever =) is a factor.
The freckle / skin / genital problem is unenviable.

But YES … I feel for you … I don’t envy the task you are attempting but its a worthy effort by you.
As long as some people enjoy the renders, then it's worth it.
They are prominent. I only needed to zoom in a tiny little bit.
On a unrelated note, do anyone know why I only see one letter on my screen? :LOL: :whistle:
They are there, but they are not dark, it's the same with the ones I made, they are there if you zoom in. lol

One letter?
Daz is too uncanny valley nightmare fuel for me. I have a deep rooted evolutionary need to smash nearly anything made in it.

as far as a specific thing that I think makes the face look unappealing, it’s her mouth. It may just be the pose, but it looks like the skin abover her upper lip and below her nose is puffed out and looks almost animal like to me.

I also don’t like Daz hair at all. Sorry, Daz is just terrible, I hate it so much. I think I’ve seen maybe 3 faces total that don’t make me want to go on an irrational rampage to defend the species.
While I feel like I do a pretty good job making decent people, but I am not good at the anime style in it yet. Didn't work for my game, so I had to work with what I can. I didn't know that I would be able to make my own things for HS when I started, and males in HS are just absolute shit. It is almost impossible to make one that doesn't look like a perv or an Ugly Bastard. Most HS games, like this one, just use the default, and the ones that don't, tend to make it worse.

If you think looking at Daz models is bad, try working with them. That's the real nightmare! XD
The worst is the dForce hair, I have real nightmare fuel there. You don't want to see it, trust me.

Chilliarch

Oct 20, 2021
hi uhmm im not so techy sooo what do i do with the patcher? i mean should I just extract it on the game folder? thanks please reply

xZecretX

Jun 6, 2017
Man I wish the game was made in Daz like this, Honey Select is really dated by current standards.
Highly subjective, I wasn't the only one who already commented about their distaste of Daz. It's as if you were to compare 2D with 3D, there are varying opinions about them where some prefer 2D while others 3D.

You can wish for new games, but I hope none of the ongoing games would suddenly switch their models, and I don't specify here because it could go either way. Whether it switches from HS to Daz or from Daz to HS, or any other type of models, by doing so the community around the game will be split into those who liked the game originally and those who either don't mind the change or are new to the game. Or even worse, those who leave because they lost the familiarity to the characters because of the different models, because next to their personality their appearance can matter that much.

There really isn't much of a benefit unless the dev specifically wants it for personal reasons or if the majority (via some kind of vote) wants it, and there isn't much you can do about it (especially as the minority) other than just going your own way similar to when new games first show up, either you like it or you don't. In either case it will never be a "win-win".

Sylphia Island to Sylphine is one example, it was initially made in HS but was then remade with Daz models (if I remember correctly because of lost files). I didn't pay as much attention to what others said but there were those who supported it and those who liked the previous game. I, for example, almost immediately lost interest when it happened.

Besides that, I actively avoid games with Daz models, to the point where I ignore them (I mean the feature) whenever I see them in Latest Updates similar to genres and other factors I dislike. And the same can be true for others as well, or the other way around, like I said, simply because it is highly subjective.

Last edited:

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Man I wish the game was made in Daz like this, Honey Select is really dated by current standards.
Honey Select is a completely different art style, and unless you only use the default assets and don't tweak any of the graphical settings, it will look like a game from 2004. But if you know what you're doing, you can make it look like something from last gen I think (just stylized, not realistic)

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
I wish HS had more options for things like hair etc. but I'd take a basic HS game over Daz any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Daz may be more recent tech, but everything I've ever seen with it looks like nightmare fuel. It's polar express vs. a pixar movie. Polar express is closer to reality, but looks awful because of it.

Daz just lands dead center in the uncanny valley and triggers my hate response. I'd immediately delete this game from my computer and consider burning the hard drive if it switched.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I wish HS had more options for things like hair etc. but I'd take a basic HS game over Daz any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Daz may be more recent tech, but everything I've ever seen with it looks like nightmare fuel. It's polar express vs. a pixar movie. Polar express is closer to reality, but looks awful because of it.

Daz just lands dead center in the uncanny valley and triggers my hate response. I'd immediately delete this game from my computer and consider burning the hard drive if it switched.
At first I had the same opinion I would only play HS or koikatsu games, but then I started to try some of the daz games and got used to it pretty fast. But yeah, there are some games where the girls look like they came out of a horror movie.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Daz and HS/Koikatsu all make good art if the artist know what they're doing. If not, then all of them make bad art.

Daz is more realistic, and you can do more stuff with it. The uncanny valley stuff comes from the artist not knowing what they're doing.
HS is the middle-ground, I think. Not as realistic like Daz, but also not as cartoony as Koikatsu.
Koikatsu is the most artistic/stylized and the most "cartoony". Makes me think of anime.

I play games of each, and I'd consider them all (or at least most of them) to have good art.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
Daz and HS/Koikatsu all make good art if the artist know what they're doing. If not, then all of them make bad art.

Daz is more realistic, and you can do more stuff with it. The uncanny valley stuff comes from the artist not knowing what they're doing.
HS is the middle-ground, I think. Not as realistic like Daz, but also not as cartoony as Koikatsu.
Koikatsu is the most artistic/stylized and the most "cartoony". Makes me think of anime.

I play games of each, and I'd consider them all (or at least most of them) to have good art.
I’ve tried a few of the very popular, well loved Daz games and that was enough. It’s never going to not be a horror movie for me.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I’ve tried a few of the very popular, well loved Daz games and that was enough. It’s never going to not be a horror movie for me.
Just because a game is popular, doesn't make it good art. But, art is subjective, and we all have our own tastes and preferences, and the art is not always our main reason for playing some games.

While my first choice will always be 2D, and I like HS's anime style, Daz can also do an anime style as well, with the right mods (I haven't messed with it myself, since it doesn't fit my game, but you may have even seen some and not known it). Personally, I am kind of mixed on the 3D anime stuff, most of the time it looks too wrong for me.

As for the horror show thing, it's a mix of lighting, skins, morphs, and expressions. Mess any of those up, and you end up with something awful. And that doesn't even get into the horrors that are dForce hair... Though I have seen horror shows in all of them.

Also, too many devs use characters 'out of the box', as it were, something I generally abhor. That gets really bad, when you see the same characters in many games, without a good plot reason. Same with locations (though that is an issue on all programs, unless you are making your own, there are limited options, and if you are, then you have people bitching that it is taking too long.

I love that HS has the built in breast physics and animations, though they can go overboard, that all has to be animated by hand in Daz, which most people never bother doing (and also requires addons). On the other hand, HS has some serious limitations, like limited movements, inability to prevent clipping in so many situations, many of the genitals don't open, the ugly men and penises, and so on.

All of the options have limitations, so it's all a matter of what is important to you. For me, that is nice looking breasts and nipples (something else that many Daz devs can't seem to manage), which can be done well in every one of those options, if the artist knows what they are doing (and get the right addons in the case of Daz).

Last edited:

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
I've been using Daz for over 3 years now and while I don't even consider myself close to even intermediary in skill, I can say that one of the most important factors is lighting and bad lighting will ruin any render.

We talk about the Uncanny Valley as a bad thing and sure, it can measure how close something can come to inducing revulsion in us, but its also a measure of how successful we are at making something that resembles us. Its in the name, its a valley, you get past the worst part and its a rapid climb to liking what we see again.

Daz isn't perfect, in fact none of the main programs used by any developer is, but each one finds something in their respective usage that works best for them and their story.

I'll be frank, I really can't stand Honey Select, of the 30 something games I have on my computer, 3 of them are Honey Select. Its not the art that draws me in, its the story that the creators have been able to craft. Which is to say that Runey has done an amazing job on the story here, more than enough to keep me waiting for the next update. They could have used Daz or gotten a 2d artist to draw everything, but they went with Honey Select (and to be clear, I actually like Runey's models, you know there's been a lot of effort has gone into them, so more power to Runey). Does Runey using Honey Select reduce my enjoyment of the game? Hell no, in fact, Runey has my respect for never showing us the MC's fugly face (I think we can all agree that HS couldn't make a good male face to save its own life).

But as much as I might not like HS, that's fine. It still works for the story, that's all that matters, Runey is able to tell the story they want to tell using the medium they feel is the most appropriate. No need to be knocking or insult the works of others though.

4.70 star(s) 453 Votes