Mod Ren'Py Heart Problems [Xenorav] [English] Dialogue Re-Write ver. 0.30 (CH1 to 3)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Do you want to see a Chapter 2 Re-Write or is the original Dialogue fine as it is?

• Yes, I'd like to see this continue.

Votes: 874 86.6%
  • No, the Original script is fine as it is.

Votes: 135 13.4%

• Total voters

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
BTW, I noticed the name was wrong in this part of the game, should be a simple fix. It says "Amelia" when "kylee" is talking. I have my save at the scene bellow. Hope I'm not bugging you with little things :LOL:
Is it the scene where the MC scares Kylee in her room?

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Yep, on my end its lines 19,138-19,141 in the script.rpy
Ok I had a scan through, I've added so many more little lines of dialogue into even Chapters 1 to 3 since version 0.30 that its pushed the lines further away from each other.

I checked the scene in Kylee's bedroom and I think I must have caught the incorrect name in that conversation as I've checked through them for finalization.

Thanks for reporting it though and allowing me to double check, much appreciated !

Reactions: Bobsalec

Bobsalec

Nov 17, 2022
Ok I had a scan through, I've added so many more little lines of dialogue into even Chapters 1 to 3 since version 0.30 that its pushed the lines further away from each other.

I checked the scene in Kylee's bedroom and I think I must have caught the incorrect name in that conversation as I've checked through them for finalization.

Thanks for reporting it though and allowing me to double check, much appreciated !
No problem man :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Chinwiskers

Jellyluve

Apr 17, 2017
Now I haven't played the game yet, but I am curious what the modder's plans are if the MC's "real" mother ever comes back into the story (trying to reconnect with her son (or whatever)).

• Red Heart

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Now I haven't played the game yet, but I am curious what the modder's plans are if the MC's "real" mother ever comes back into the story (trying to reconnect with her son (or whatever)).
At the moment I've retconned all elements of the story that relate to him being adopted by his "Not Aunt and Not Uncle", I'll continue the narrative going forward under the premise that these are his actual "Not Family" ;)

If a time comes that his "real" mother appears in the storyline, I'll merely write her as something else perhaps a close relative of some kind if needed, OR it could also be written that he THOUGHT Amelie was his real mother but was in fact not and then he has TWO mom's (I mean, who wouldn't want that right?).

I think considering this is a Re-Write it's fine for it to exist outside of the original VN, some might prefer that he's the orphan and has a sad backstory etc and I know some even prefer not to really read what's been written and skip to the images lol.

Either way, I'll be doing my best to make all the scenes make sense regardless and try to do so with some sense of balance between light and heavy hearted moments.

If you do decide to check this mod out, I hope you'll find the more lively characters and dialogue engaging at the very least, and perhaps even enjoy yourself along the way!

Last edited:

Jellyluve

Apr 17, 2017
At the moment I've retconned all elements of the story that relate to him being adopted by his "Not Aunt and Not Uncle", I'll continue the narrative going forward under the premise that these are his actual "Not Family" ;)

If a time comes that his "real" mother appears in the storyline, I'll merely write her as something else perhaps a close relative of some kind if needed, OR it could also be written that he THOUGHT Amelie was his real mother but was in fact not and then he has TWO mom's (I mean, who wouldn't want that right?)
Now you could spin it and make the OG mom into an aunt (and still have the conflict between the MC, the rest of the family, and the OG mom (if she ever comes back)) if you go ahead and make one of the "sisters" back into a cousin. Have it so the OG mom abandoned the sister/cousin instead of the MC (having the MC's family adopt the sister/cousin (instead of before when it was them adopting the MC.))

• Red Heart

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the "not Aunt and Uncle" actual Aunt and Uncle?
I think Not Aunt and Not Uncle is the default relationships the original developer put in, which always made me chuckle haha

In this mod I've Re-Written the dialogue between characters so that you can use the more popular "Mom" / "Sister" / "Dad" relationship values for characters and it doesn't impact the readability of the VN.

There is also a huge amount of extra dialogue too, characters are far more fleshed out in this mod compared to the original VN.

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Now you could spin it and make the OG mom into an aunt (and still have the conflict between the MC, the rest of the family, and the OG mom (if she ever comes back)) if you go ahead and make one of the "sisters" back into a cousin. Have it so the OG mom abandoned the sister/cousin instead of the MC (having the MC's family adopt the sister/cousin (instead of before when it was them adopting MC.))
I like your thinking! Kylee is actually about the same age as the MC, and they do seem to have a very strong rapport / connection especially early on in the VN.

Perhaps she is actually his cousin and Stephanie is his real sister, which would also possibly cause an interesting situation with Kylee vs Stephanie. Stephanie currently is always the underdog when pitted against Kylee but with the revelation that she's the MC's ACTUAL sister and Kylee isn't....

Reactions: Jellyluve

lancekro

Dec 2, 2018
I've just started playing and there is something that really sounds weird to me.
When Kylee is speaking with the MC, she refers to Amelie and Davie as "my mom" and "my dad", but since MC and Kylee are supposed to be siblings, she should just say "mom" and "dad".

So I looked at the script.rpy file and when there is a discussion between MC and Kylee or Stephanie and the relation variables "arelatks" or "drelatks" are used, if there is the word "my" or "your" just before the variable, then those should be removed.
It seems that you didn't think about that, or maybe you just missed a few instances where that happen, I only found about a dozen.

I hope my explanation was clear enough for you to understand what I mean.

Edit : something similar seems to be happening when MC talks about Davie with the variable "drelat".
In most cases (even when MC is just thinking to himself) if it was uncle instead of dad, it would sound fine for MC to say "my uncle", but him saying "my dad" instead of just "dad" sounds very weird.

Last edited:

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
I've just started playing and there is something that really sounds weird to me.
When Kylee is speaking with the MC, she refers to Amelie and Davie as "my mom" and "my dad", but since MC and Kylee are supposed to be siblings, she should just say "mom" and "dad".

So I looked at the script.rpy file and when there is a discussion between MC and Kylee or Stephanie and the relation variables "arelatks" or "drelatks" are used, if there is the word "my" or "your" just before the variable, then those should be removed.
It seems that you didn't think about that, or maybe you just missed a few instances where that happen, I only found about a dozen.

I hope my explanation was clear enough for you to understand what I mean.

Edit : something similar seems to be happening when MC talks about Davie with the variable "drelat".
In most cases (even when MC is just thinking to himself) if it was uncle instead of dad, it would sound fine for MC to say "my uncle", but him saying "my dad" instead of just "dad" sounds very weird.
Yeah I guess early on I tried to make the Re-Write take into account people who still wanted to use Uncle and Aunt but in some circumstances it will look strange when people are using "Dad" and "Mom", I should really full commit to the premise that people will use this mod to change to Mom and Dad instead of Aunt / Uncle.

Can you give me some specific examples of where it kinda looks jank and I'll check my latest version of the script to see how it reads?

The feedback is much appreciated by the way, thanks!

lancekro

Dec 2, 2018
Yeah I guess early on I tried to make the Re-Write take into account people who still wanted to use Uncle and Aunt but in some circumstances it will look strange when people are using "Dad" and "Mom", I should really full commit to the premise that people will use this mod to change to Mom and Dad instead of Aunt / Uncle.

Can you give me some specific examples of where it kinda looks jank and I'll check my latest version of the script to see how it reads?

The feedback is much appreciated by the way, thanks!
The following should be all the "arelatks" an "drelatks" related issues:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Some examples of MC talking/thinking about Davie with the "drelat" variable :
While looking for those, I also found some instances of this problem with the "arelat" variable.
While I did all of this research I found 19 instances of the "drelat" and "d" variables next to each other like this : [drelat] [d]
I the original game this would translate to "Uncle Davie" but with the patch it would be "Dad Davie" which sounds super weird.
Those are all listed in the screenshot below.
The screenshot also shows the replace command I'm using (with notepad++) to fix all of them at once.

I know that some of the things I showed might not be from chapters 1 to 3 but they can be changed to improve the subsequent chapters a bit while waiting for them to be properly re-written.

• Red Heart

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
The following should be all the "arelatks" an "drelatks" related issues:
Some examples of MC talking/thinking about Davie with the "drelat" variable :
While looking for those, I also found some instances of this problem with the "arelat" variable.
While I did all of this research I found 19 instances of the "drelat" and "d" variables next to each other like this : [drelat] [d]
I the original game this would translate to "Uncle Davie" but with the patch it would be "Dad Davie" which sounds super weird.
Those are all listed in the screenshot below.
The screenshot also shows the replace command I'm using (with notepad++) to fix all of them at once.

I know that some of the things I showed might not be from chapters 1 to 3 but they can be changed to improve the subsequent chapters a bit while waiting for them to be properly re-written.
I will absolutely take this homework and iron out any discrepancies! Thanks for taking the time to highlight these!

The "Dad Davie" instances you mentioned, I might have spotted in the current version I'm working on (v0.40) but I'll 100% be looking into them and tidying it up.

I think it might be time to just embrace the original idea of formatting the dialogue intentionally for "Dad/Mom/Sister" variations completely instead of trying to walk a line down the middle that caters to the other options too.

You are appreciated!

Reactions: lancekro

lancekro

Dec 2, 2018
I think it might be time to just embrace the original idea of formatting the dialogue intentionally for "Dad/Mom/Sister" variations completely instead of trying to walk a line down the middle that caters to the other options too.
I also think this is the best course of action, specially since the original game already works pretty well with "Uncle/Aunt/Cousin".

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
I also think this is the best course of action, specially since the original game already works pretty well with "Uncle/Aunt/Cousin".
Yeah, it was absolutely written with that in mind and when you switch to Dad / Mom it creates anomalies in the original VN as well. Not so easy to accommodate both familial terms within one narrative I'm afraid lol

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022

I have now (hopefully) skimmed through and corrected all incorrect references to [arelat] / [arelatks] / [drelat] / [drelatks] in the dialogue running up to the end of Chapter 6 (All the text included in the script.rpy file).

So v0.40 should now specifically cater to the "Mom / Dad / Sister" dynamic without any irregular possessive use of those noun's lol.

At least I hope so anyway!

Thankyou for the assist and pushing me to finally make a clear cut decision on this, it makes perfect sense really!

Xrisoner

May 23, 2021
I have now (hopefully) skimmed through and corrected all incorrect references to [arelat] / [arelatks] / [drelat] / [drelatks] in the dialogue running up to the end of Chapter 6 (All the text included in the script.rpy file).

So v0.40 should now specifically cater to the "Mom / Dad / Sister" dynamic without any irregular possessive use of those noun's lol.

At least I hope so anyway!

Thankyou for the assist and pushing me to finally make a clear cut decision on this, it makes perfect sense really!

Can this MOD be used for v0.9?

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Can this MOD be used for v0.9?
This mod is an all-in-one download, it's essentially a stand alone version of the game =)

The currently uploaded version here (v0.30) is based on the Chapter 8 release with Re-Written content up to Chapter 3, the next version I'm working on (v0.40) contains Re-Written content as well as some addtional features up to Chapter 4 and is based on Chapter 9's release of the original game version, hope that clears things up!

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Xrisoner
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote