Ren'Py Heir of Lust [v0.25] [Indeciso Games]

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
you do know there's no law or anything like that concerning the numbers of a version right?
Just because you're used to a certain type of counting doesn't mean everyone needs to follow it...
also a bit strange to get upset that X user counts the number of a version of a VN with 1.0....

I think when I will have the means to make my own VN I'll start naming every update in a way that makes players think it's finished.. just for shits and giggles.
.... while there isn't any "law" there is a standard that is used, 1.0 is typically reserved for a finished product or the first chapter/full version. (i.e. genshin impact for example used 1.0 for its initial release, which to be fair had enough content to be a 1.0 anyway, although online games like that have a different lifecycle anyway, so they have their own numbering as a result of being a live service model).

Usually when it isn't a finished game, there is a alpha or beta before it when using 1.x e.g. minecraft, with its alpha 1.x.x, and beta 1.x.x, then finally 1.0.0 when it officially came out of beta. (although still gets regular updates as well, but as of it's official release that is DLC, as it is a completed game).

Basically, 1.0 is for something that is completed, while it doesn't mean that you can't add more, it should have a substantial amount of content to be considered a complete game.

As for demo and first versions... only those who are inexperienced will ever use 1.0, most use 0.1 or 0.01 etc. (cause to put it bluntly... doing otherwise is just unprofessional and misleading, although that is forgivable when the dev is a complete noob and wouldn't exactly know better).

So saying there isn't a law... doesn't mean anything. Because there is a standard.
Like how you use a straw to drink liquid, while you can bend it up and use it as a spoon to scoop up some liquid, it isn't how it is meant to be used.
Sure there is no law that you can use a straw as a spoon, but there is a standard, or as someone else mentioned, common sense.

Like... starting with 1.0 defeats the whole purpose of the .0 since it implies there have been 9 other versions prior, as the count starts at .1 not 1.0.

SoberSphagghett

Sep 14, 2018
On the subject of version numeration, why not state the current vesrion compared to your view of the finished version.
All other versions lie inbetween those two values
ie 1.0/20.0 with the occasional build numeral ie 13-08-2022 :3

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
.... while there isn't any "law" there is a standard that is used, 1.0 is typically reserved for a finished product or the first chapter/full version. (i.e. genshin impact for example used 1.0 for its initial release, which to be fair had enough content to be a 1.0 anyway, although online games like that have a different lifecycle anyway, so they have their own numbering as a result of being a live service model).

Usually when it isn't a finished game, there is a alpha or beta before it when using 1.x e.g. minecraft, with its alpha 1.x.x, and beta 1.x.x, then finally 1.0.0 when it officially came out of beta. (although still gets regular updates as well, but as of it's official release that is DLC, as it is a completed game).

Basically, 1.0 is for something that is completed, while it doesn't mean that you can't add more, it should have a substantial amount of content to be considered a complete game.

As for demo and first versions... only those who are inexperienced will ever use 1.0, most use 0.1 or 0.01 etc. (cause to put it bluntly... doing otherwise is just unprofessional and misleading, although that is forgivable when the dev is a complete noob and wouldn't exactly know better).

So saying there isn't a law... doesn't mean anything. Because there is a standard.
Like how you use a straw to drink liquid, while you can bend it up and use it as a spoon to scoop up some liquid, it isn't how it is meant to be used.
Sure there is no law that you can use a straw as a spoon, but there is a standard, or as someone else mentioned, common sense.

Like... starting with 1.0 defeats the whole purpose of the .0 since it implies there have been 9 other versions prior, as the count starts at .1 not 1.0.
no
you're wrong.
there isn't anything like that.
Just because you're used to seeing a few people dev/s doing it like that , doesn't make it a standard.
example :
Screenshot 2022-08-13 154947.jpg
Like I said... you're wrong...
and it's not a standard. 1660394993825.jpeg

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
no
you're wrong.
there isn't anything like that.
Just because you're used to seeing a few people dev/s doing it like that , doesn't make it a standard.
example :
View attachment 1982118
Like I said... you're wrong...
and it's not a standard. View attachment 1982117
bruh... it is tho XD

your examples aren't good because those are live service type games XD not games on the road to a completed build.

Also this isn't from "seeing" this is from having taken a game design course :|

Chill with the cherry picking and use some common sense. when one has 1.0 and uses incriments of 0.1 then 0.1 is the first, and 1.0 is the 10th. Otherwise it should just be build v1, not 1.0

Your "examples" use a completely different version system thus making the point irrelevant. there is a standard for this particular measuring system, no where did I say it was a universally used, in fact I said the opposite XD

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
bruh... it is tho XD

your examples aren't good because those are live service type games XD not games on the road to a completed build.

Also this isn't from "seeing" this is from having taken a game design course :|
bruh, it's not though...

there is no rule towards that, just because you like it doesn't make it a rule...
those were just some examples I had on hand, lots of sp games don't have the end product numbered #1.x whatever...

not really sure what your argument with "I took a game design bruh!" should mean.. since all courses are made and relayed different...

I attended 5 different high class waitering classes ... none of them were the same , all of them were taught differently...
again your example means ... nothing.. it's just a way of enforcing your wrong view about something
and there is no rule or "common sense" about the way you write the number of a version...

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
as soon as i saw a game with a brand new thread that was labelled version 1.0, i knew it would be gold. didnt have to wait long for all the saviors to come out screeching about how the developer should use whatever stupidity they consider to be "standard" for a numbering system. i cant believe these morons get this bent out of shape over it. BTLD is right. there are lots of different companies that dont follow your standards. even the guy trying to prove his point with minecraft showed that, yes, in fact, youre all wrong, even the guy who tried to say that you have to add alpha or something. according to your own logic, it doesnt matter whether they say alpha or beta or dog food before it, they should still be using 0.x.x until its a completed version, right? oh wait, its different for a live service type, or whatever justification you want to rationalize your ocd with. the count starts at 0.1, because if you have 1.0 it makes the .0 irrelevant? how about, its the first release (last i checked, the first of anything else is, uh, 1, except in crazy ocd gamer world), and the .0 means no revisions? then if/when he has to bug fix or change something, like for instance, remove some copyrighted music (everyone else is right, there is no point in opening yourself up to a lawsuit, bud), it becomes, ta-da! 1.1! or 1.5! or 1.fish! whatever number he decides! whos to say he has to count by 0.1 increments at all? maybe he could count by 0.2, or 1.6! 1(first version).1(first minor revision)! wow! how did that happen! common sense dictated that a clear, consistent numbering system indicates that this is the first bugfix after his initial release! but it couldnt be possible without following a strict, universally implemented numbering system some nerds on the internet decided needed to be strictly adhered to even though everyone else from solo developers, to big corporations, to random people trying to check out a game dont give a flying fuck about and dont use! ..... yeah, so much for that universally implemented thing.

so to summarize, no one cares about your numbering system, some people use a similar system, some people dont (most dont), some massive corporations laugh at your ocd, as do the rest of us, there are lots of games that dont use any numbering system, like that one game where every release was like, filthy fish dog release or something (love the troll factor btw), and if someone uses something else then grow up and stop trying to pigeon hole everyone else into your ridiculous set of "standards" (which, btw, would require almost universal implementation across all game developers to be considered such, in any other professions, standards are something that MUST be adhered to or the job is considered below standard and unfit, and guess what, there are still exceptions).

good day, gentlemen.

EDIT:

if anyone is interested, just pulled this off the net about conventional numbering systems for software and games.

A numbers breakdown

Let’s go back to the number we used as an example at the start of this post: Version 17.4.26.

Each number in that sequence refers to a specific release type:

• Major releases (indicated by the first number)
  • Minor releases (indicated by the second number)
  • Patches (indicated by the third number)

In this instance, Version 17.4.26 means that:

• Your current product has had 17 sweeping upgrades (versions) during its lifecycle
  • This current version of the product has since received four updates
  • The current version has been 26 times

Clear and consistent software version numbering rules, then, make it easy to track where you’re at with your current release.

But reading the numbers properly also requires a little more understanding behind the various release types.

huh, according to this, seems like a major release, i.e the first release of something, or any major update, should increase that first number by 1. not by 0.1. but who needs to pay attention to anyone else when you took a game design course.....

now, to be fair, the argument could be made that this isnt enough to be considered a major release, but im not going to get into that. since this random shit i pulled off the internet also isnt set in stone, and no one else is forced to use it, arguing strict adherence to this system would also be a moot point. just wanted to point out that your industry "standard" is looking less standard by the minute and more like your preferred method.....

Last edited:

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
There is actually, and it is called "common sense".
Like you can say that your "shit" is "tasty milk" and try to sell it, but it still will be "shit".
It's a standard that has been around for literally decades. And not just 2 or 3. But the crowd that celebrates rolling around in craptacular ignorance like it's a virtue think they should get to redefine things because they didn't know about it in the first place. Or they're the crowd whose favorite mantra is "I wont need that in real life", so they can't be assed to learn it when they were first exposed to it in the first place. Or the tantrum crowd that thinks they are edgy going, "I'ma version it however I want just to be a dick". Cause tiny minds are amused by tiny things.

x.y.z
x= full, COMPLETE, version, be it 1, 2, 3... of the software
y=major content update iteration
z= minor content update/bugfixes.

ben akeba

May 9, 2018
I sincerely hope he's not trying to make money off this, when he has like 11 listed, copyrighted songs....
Persona 2, persona 4, persona 5, shin megami tensei apocalypse... There's quite a list. And if he plans to reuse these songs as much as he has right now, he's going to prolly get DMCA struck on patreon, and that's the best case scenario. worst case is Atlus actually pursues legal action.
yep this kind of thing only work when you're chinese >< they have a rule that say that any material not chinese isn't submited to copyright if i'm not wrong >< (it's a joke based on what i see in chinese webtoon and similar joke level of copyriight gangbang in manhua ^^)

edit : dev wrote in dev note he want to make money out of this ^^

Last edited:

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
It's a standard that has been around for literally decades. And not just 2 or 3. But the crowd that celebrates rolling around in craptacular ignorance like it's a virtue think they should get to redefine things because they didn't know about it in the first place. Or they're the crowd whose favorite mantra is "I wont need that in real life", so they can't be assed to learn it when they were first exposed to it in the first place. Or the tantrum crowd that thinks they are edgy going, "I'ma version it however I want just to be a dick". Cause tiny minds are amused by tiny things.

x.y.z
x= full, COMPLETE, version, be it 1, 2, 3... of the software
y=major content update iteration
z= minor content update/bugfixes.
yes, tiny minds are amused by tiny things, probably why youre so fascinated with this notion that there is a standard numbering convention that must be adhered to even though you dont understand it yourself. literally copied and pasted about a convention that shows your system is wrong. x.y.z. major release, minor release, patch. exactly what i put there. does not mention at all that it must be a complete version. literally pulled it off of a website dedicated to software and gaming version numbering conventions. but everyone else is wrong because everyone else is ignorant, or edgy because they dont follow your "standard". how dare they do what they want with their own game! they must do exactly what i tell them!

grow up, bud.

ben akeba

May 9, 2018
good day, gentlemen.
dude why so much hate ? and biased exemple reported wrongly to suit your point ?

i and some other ranted about the numbering being wrong when compared to standard way of doing it but there was nothing presenting any of us like us feeling superior to other ... while you spit on a couple of people that did minor rant and bantering using exemple you report biasedly to look like the one who bring the truth to those lost in their ubris T_T that was quite emotional for me to read your post, never though selfrighteous troll of this level existed out of chinese webtoon ^^

thanks for the laugh and good day to you too ^^

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
So many people arguing about the version number.. I think most of us only care about.. What about the game? Any good?

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
dude why so much hate ? and biased exemple reported wrongly to suit your point ?

i and some other ranted about the numbering being wrong when compared to standard way of doing it but there was nothing presenting any of us like us feeling superior to other ... while you spit on a couple of people that did minor rant and bantering using exemple you report biasedly to look like the one who bring the truth to those lost in their ubris T_T that was quite emotional for me to read your post, never though selfrighteous troll of this level existed out of chinese webtoon ^^

thanks for the laugh and good day to you too ^^
my point was that the standard to you is not the standard to everyone, making it not really a standard, but a preference. i clearly stated that it was random shit i got off the net, therefore proving there are many ways of doing it, i.e. not a standard. no bias, just something i got off the net to prove a point, and clearly labelled as such. no trolling, just showing that it is not wrong, just not how you would do it. and no one trying to feel superior and minor rants? one of the guys i replied to said anyone who does anything else has a tiny mind, or are ignorant, or are trying to be edgy because they dont agree with his position. way to misrepresent your own argument to try to make yourself seem less wrong (making your opinion the biased one).

im done with this argument, pretty sure i proved my point and proved you guys are just trying to force your preferred method onto others, i just find it hilarious that everytime a game comes out with a version number that isnt exactly what you people think it should be there is a crowd of idiots that swarm in to have it changed. no one gives a shit, i dont give a shit, the developer doesnt give a shit, the other guy doesnt give a shit, and the vast majority of people who play the games wont give a shit, so everyone needs to stop with this version numbering needs to be exactly as we say bullshit and just play the game. it doesnt help anything, if you want to know if version 2.0 is newer than version 1.0, just check the changelog. or use common sense. if you want to know if a game is completed, check the completed tag, or just play the damn thing and find out.

Indeciso

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2022
i skipped through the first part of your game there seems to missing a few tags :KEK:
Why did you add another game within your game directory? (1.3gig)
LOOOOOOOL NO FUCKING WAAAAY
Thanks for warning me! I DID found it strange that the game was so heavy but I thought it was the videos! :KEK::KEK::KEK: I will fix this right away.