VN Ren'Py Abandoned High Life [Ep. 1 Elite] [Erosion]

4.70 star(s) 26 Votes

BonusDuck

Oct 22, 2017
I agree on the writing part, this was the first game on this site that I truly was interested in.

Such a shame it game was abandoned. Deep in my heart I still hold hope it would be revived and reach the promised potential someday.
Best thing to do would be to spam them on patreon, let them know they have an audience waiting. Don't think they read this forum anyhow, under the Erosion account or otherwise (if I'm wrong and any of the Erosion team read this: Hello!)

Reactions: Phanex
Dec 23, 2020
No it wasn't. And I'm not taking seriously any recommendations in writing quality from someone who botches "run of the mill".
Best thing to do would be to spam them on patreon, let them know they have an audience waiting. Don't think they read this forum anyhow, under the Erosion account or otherwise (if I'm wrong and any of the Erosion team read this: Hello!)
that would be very dumb idea

Oct 25, 2017
There are a ton of well-rendered games on this forum that are scripted by horrible to somewhat decent writers. Granted, the visuals for High Life are top notch, but the the reason the game ages so well, despite being abandoned, despite every other dev getting better and more powerful rendering tools in the time since, is the writing.

The gap between this and the best-rendered games on this site is small. One can even argue that the visuals have been surpassed by the top games here. But the gap in the writing between this and those games is as large as it has ever been. The only other game I've encountered here whose writing comes close is "A Summer's End", whose writing has garnered attention even outside this niche. But even that pales in comparison to what this could have been.
You think the writing is that good I mean I agree with you the writing is great but to say it's the best on this site idk, especially since what was written is not much. I agree I think this game had incredible potential and when it came out it had the best visuals and writing of any game on this site however other games have improved drastically during that time both in story telling and renders.
I'll check the game you recommended since you seem to appreciate good writing like me.

Reactions: Sombrasombra111

Felicityskye

Jan 8, 2018
You think the writing is that good I mean I agree with you the writing is great but to say it's the best on this site idk, especially since what was written is not much. I agree I think this game had incredible potential and when it came out it had the best visuals and writing of any game on this site however other games have improved drastically during that time both in story telling and renders.
I'll check the game you recommended since you seem to appreciate good writing like me.
You said other games have improved drastically, but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality of writing in those other VN/games have surpassed the quality of writing from this VN.

You also said, when this VN came out "it had the best writing of any game on this site..." It would help your case if you actually listed some of those drastically improved VN/games that are worthy of taking the title of best writing from this VN. For comparisons sake.

Oct 25, 2017
You said other games have improved drastically, but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality of writing in those other VN/games have surpassed the quality of writing from this VN.

You also said, when this VN came out "it had the best writing of any game on this site..." It would help your case if you actually listed some of those drastically improved VN/games that are worthy of taking the title of best writing from this VN. For comparisons sake.
Oh this is just my opinion but games like our red string, cooperate culture and summers gone have really good writing just to name a few

Reactions: Sombrasombra111

Orichan

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting. Personally, I thought the biggest reason why High Life was so well-received - was because of its astounding visuals. (The carefully framed scenes, the beautiful models, the wonderful lighting, etc.)

Of course, the writing played a very important role in it's success too. But (based just on what I had seen so far) I always thought it was the visuals which sealed the deal for everyone.

Hearing your opinion has now made me curious - which of the two really impressed everyone the most? :unsure:
Yep. Good writing is a plus, but people came because of how good the renders are.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Yep. Good writing is a plus, but people came because of how good the renders are.
I did not play it as I know it is abandoned. But there are a lot of great visual novels with poorly written skills... and they tend to suck..

hard to keep people interested with just nice graphics..

Then, of course, you have novels as Summer's Gone, with both things top tier, and they blow your mind.

Reactions: DanielMB

pranabray

Jan 3, 2021
can anyone tell me how far this game had reached before it was abandoned? Do we get to the sex part with the pretty blonde girl before it stops?

Nazhara

Oct 8, 2019
can anyone tell me how far this game had reached before it was abandoned? Do we get to the sex part with the pretty blonde girl before it stops?
Last time I checked it was just a kiss scene in pajamas, but never got to actual sex. Its quite short sadly, but the writing and visuals are really top notch.

Reactions: Pede rasta 1

Karl Smith

Oct 1, 2018
I can't understand what could be the motivation to end the production of this VN, nobody knew that the pandemic was going to happen, the characters are beautiful, the story was very good, I had not seen anything like it, a young girl discovering the world and sexuality beyond talking about violence against women, the graphics were incredible, they had the recipe for success. What is sadder is that I have no idea why I gave up, I really wanted to know the story they had to tell. They will only understand what I'm talking about, playing the prelude that is still available, I don't know for how long.
:cry:

mayylok

Jun 30, 2020
every time I find a game with super busty and beautiful mom it ends immediately, why? congratulations for the bathroom scene in the disco even if it would have been nice to see her end up on the tip of a cock .. or even her mother ... do you know any game like this that goes on?

jarjarspam95

Feb 10, 2018
Wow, this was shaping up to be something amazing. I must have downloaded and played 200+ games on this site, and this is the only one I have yet cared to comment on.

• The attention to detail in this game is so good. The writing on Elanor's clothes, the pictures on the wall, the lighting in every scene, every character's eyes - when you think of how much time the dev must have put into creating just a single scene, it feels staggering.
  • The composition elevates the whole experience too, truly amazing music. Really adds to the thoughtful, nostalgic, almost-melancholic vibes.
  • The dialogue, both internal dialogue and dialogue between characters, is spot-on. It feels realistic and age/context-appropriate.
  • Elanor is the most beautiful main character I've ever seen.

Overall I really get 'Life is Strange' vibes from this game. I would play a coming of age game from this dev even if it didn't have anything lewd. I wonder, sometimes, if the game is lesser for the lewd content because the rest of the content is able to elicit an emotional response that just doesn't vibe with horniness.

I dunno how to add reviews for games on this site but it's a 5/5 from me.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
jarjarspam95
For future... Click on the review star you would like to give the game in question and then write your review or copy below for this game.

1622455729687.png

Wow, this was shaping up to be something amazing. I must have downloaded and played 200+ games on this site, and this is the only one I have yet cared to comment on.

• The attention to detail in this game is so good. The writing on Elanor's clothes, the pictures on the wall, the lighting in every scene, every character's eyes - when you think of how much time the dev must have put into creating just a single scene, it feels staggering.
  • The composition elevates the whole experience too, truly amazing music. Really adds to the thoughtful, nostalgic, almost-melancholic vibes.
  • The dialogue, both internal dialogue and dialogue between characters, is spot-on. It feels realistic and age/context-appropriate.
  • Elanor is the most beautiful main character I've ever seen.

Overall I really get 'Life is Strange' vibes from this game. I would play a coming of age game from this dev even if it didn't have anything lewd. I wonder, sometimes, if the game is lesser for the lewd content because the rest of the content is able to elicit an emotional response that just doesn't vibe with horniness.

I dunno how to add reviews for games on this site but it's a 5/5 from me.

Reactions: jarjarspam95
4.70 star(s) 26 Votes