Ren'Py Abandoned Highschool Rosewood [v0.358] [Arpibald]

Spidermen23

Jun 6, 2018
This entire thing lacks direction and it's main draw (the art) is largely ripped from other sources. The excuse of "It's in development" is a lazy one that means a little less every-time it's stated. Yes people expect a game in alpha to be buggy, but even still one should not have to repeatedly struggle to get through basic main functions. If you had something unique to offer maybe this would work, but by looking at this thread it seems OP spends more time defending this thing than actually improving it. My advice take it off the board for a little while, spend a few months fixing the major criticisms, and get an artist dedicated to this project to add a sense of consistency/ to get more unique assets that will actually draw more people to this project. As of right now you basically just have a more complicated version of Camp Pinewood, that promises nothing improved over that project. Not to be to blunt but people don't play these games for realistic mechanics they play them to get off too; making the game-play this tedious with the reward being reused assets just kinda feels not worth it. No amount of saying "thank you for your criticism" or "It's in development" will stop the negative comments. The fact is plenty of adult VNs made in renplay that are only a few months old have better quality, unique art assets, and smoother flow in "how it plays" than this, and even they get shit for simply not being fast enough on content. 13 pages of this thread and it's mostly just people asking you to make the game function, and you defending the project. People should be asking you for more content not to make the game playable. Don't give up on this, but maybe do a rehaul while it's still early enough to do without braking the game, and wait till you have some assets of your own to release another build.

Arpibald

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
This entire thing lacks direction and it's main draw (the art) is largely ripped from other sources. The excuse of "It's in development" is a lazy one that means a little less every-time it's stated. Yes people expect a game in alpha to be buggy, but even still one should not have to repeatedly struggle to get through basic main functions. If you had something unique to offer maybe this would work, but by looking at this thread it seems OP spends more time defending this thing than actually improving it. My advice take it off the board for a little while, spend a few months fixing the major criticisms, and get an artist dedicated to this project to add a sense of consistency/ to get more unique assets that will actually draw more people to this project. As of right now you basically just have a more complicated version of Camp Pinewood, that promises nothing improved over that project. Not to be to blunt but people don't play these games for realistic mechanics they play them to get off too; making the game-play this tedious with the reward being reused assets just kinda feels not worth it. No amount of saying "thank you for your criticism" or "It's in development" will stop the negative comments. The fact is plenty of adult VNs made in renplay that are only a few months old have better quality, unique art assets, and smoother flow in "how it plays" than this, and even they get shit for simply not being fast enough on content. 13 pages of this thread and it's mostly just people asking you to make the game function, and you defending the project. People should be asking you for more content not to make the game playable. Don't give up on this, but maybe do a rehaul while it's still early enough to do without braking the game, and wait till you have some assets of your own to release another build.
Hi there, thank you for your honest comment. I really appreciate and think about all the stuff you just wrote down!

Belnick

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hi there, please go back to the front-page and see for yourself, because it pokes your eyes out. There's RAW. Zip links there ;)
was not there before, it would be pretty logical then, would you not say?
Why would I choose to pick a weird installer if normal rar/zip existed when I downloaded?

Reactions: Arpibald

Arpibald

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
I had to quote this again. You sir are absolutely right! I need to take some time now to rethink this whole concept. I added an Abandoned tag also, maybe a rehaul would be better. Thanks for honesty again! :)

BigPeePeeMan

Nov 27, 2019
I had to quote this again. You sir are absolutely right! I need to take some time now to rethink this whole concept. I added an Abandoned tag also, maybe a rehaul would be better. Thanks for honesty again! :)
Hey man, big fan of the concept of the game so far, really happy to see that you're going to take some time to rehash it and make some solid improvements! Looking forward to a future build where things might stitch together a little more coherently, and hopefully you have some luck finding an artist to draw you up some solid content. Will be keeping an eye out for the next installment.

slazy

Feb 19, 2018
sincerely agree with this. The gameplay is tedious. the gameplay mechanic is just to goddamn annoying. you can't skip anything. if you do, you'll fall sick which is the stupidest thing ever. phone need unlocking again and again and again and again and again and again and again. we come here to enjoy the game not be trouble by this shitty gameplay. there are other countless vn out there that are bad but this shit is the worse.

• Angry
Reactions: Arpibald

user84

Jul 21, 2017
The phone still has a password mechanic and there's still no way of knowing the password without playing through the tutorial. Even after all these updates. Wow. I'm done. The tags really show massive amounts of potential and even the art is good but why is this such a chore to even begin.

Last edited:

Arpibald

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
sincerely agree with this. The gameplay is tedious. the gameplay mechanic is just to goddamn annoying. you can't skip anything. if you do, you'll fall sick which is the stupidest thing ever. phone need unlocking again and again and again and again and again and again and again. we come here to enjoy the game not be trouble by this shitty gameplay. there are other countless vn out there that are bad but this shit is the worse.
We get it dude for the 4th time you come again to tell its shit, we take a short brake to rethink the concept I already wrote that down one comment above. Jesus.

LOL THE PHONE STILL HAS A PASSWORD MECHANIC and there's still no way of knowing the password without playing through the tutorial. Even after all these updates. Wow. I'm done. The tags really show massive amounts of potential and even the art is good but why is this such a chore to even begin.
Don't even bother read a couple comments above. :)

Reactions: Hamboi and Aurelius

slazy

Feb 19, 2018
We get it dude for the 4th time you come again to tell its shit, we take a short brake to rethink the concept I already wrote that down one comment above. Jesus.

and yet here you are looking at people's comment, quoting them. Like the guy before me said, spend time fixing the game instead of quoting people's comment everytime someone said something. Action speaks louder than word. If you really are working on the game then you wouldn't have the time to quote people. you can look at the comment and look at the criticism and take note of it instead of quoting them and telling us time and time again. YES we get it. you're trying to fix the game but we want to see progress and seeing the devs here actively quoting people's comment is really giving us the idea that you're not doing the work.
And yet here you are replying through instead of working on fixing it. action speaks louder than words

Last edited:

mbn89

Apr 7, 2017
The idea is gold. But, gold doesn't come out of the ground in smooth symmetrical bars. My point is you've got the material now just to shape it, I think you can do this. Just don't get discouraged, we can be really toxic sometimes.

shenfull

Aug 7, 2017
cut the man some slack damn i like the idea you have and the fact that u even added a futa scene that adds more fetishes in the game is nice. you have to rework some aspects of the game. i think u can add a main story and add different story paths for each character that would make the game infinitely better in my opinion