4.20 star(s) 265 Votes

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
I just played through the entire game for the first time several days ago, and I thought I'd quickly write up my thoughts and share some things I noticed about it as a complete newcomer to this great VN.

First off, the thing that really jumped out at me is how many of the characters have actual personalities and real mannerisms that bring them to life. Like when Charlotte had a lingerie shoot, so she was wearing loose clothing that wouldn't mark her skin. Or Emma learning how to model shoes, and her Mom demonstrating the proper poses for that. The love and warmth Charlotte shows her daughter at the supper table, and how she almost glows when she smiles after tickling Emma for disparaging the food. In fact, all of the light-hearted tickling scenes between Charlotte and Emma are so well done that I think I would enjoy a VN of just them together. Now I'm imagining a mod for Hillside: No Sexual Content – Tickling Edition. :LOL:

Those small interactions add a lot of verisimilitude to the world and really go a long way in making the reader care about these people and their lives.

I have also found myself somewhat averse to considering Emma as a love interest, and just wanting to protect her and keep her safe. I think this is partly because she acts so childish and appears younger than her stated age, so it's natural to just want to be professional and behave as a security guard towards her. In that way, the MC becomes very relateable to the reader, since his internal thoughts and dialog also constantly drive that motivation home by repeating "Emma's safety is the priority" again and again. As the story progresses, however, I think her growing understanding of her own sexuality will make her appear more womanly, and that along with the resolution of the threats against her, will all let this abate naturally and there won't be so much of a "creep factor" when interacting with her. Hopefully that can happen without it becoming forced and the MC – and reader – feeling conflicted and in conflict (with Charlotte and others) over forming a relationship with Emma.

The other part of this aversion to pursuing Emma though is a bit more insidious and pervasive, as it is tied up in all of Charlotte's past trauma and distrust, plus the sleazy fashion and entertainment world that is Hillside, Kaylah's assault, Suzi's blackmail, Emma's stalker-filled school life, and more. Without dwelling too long on the details, I'll summarize it with the phrase "White Knight Syndrome", except that Hillside has begun as a more pathological variant of this mental condition called "One Good Man Syndrome" (which is a less well known term compared to "White Knight Syndrome"). The world perceived by the MC reflects back the belief that he is the only good man to ever exist in the world – past, present, and future – and that all other men are only threats and evil. I believe the key to this, strangely enough, is Steve. If he were written as just a normal friend, perhaps of the "You've got a female client? Is she hot?" and then "Nice. *nods approvingly when he finds out she's a supermodel*" variety, instead of a hypersexual, over-the-top pervert who acts suspiciously, a lot of this problem could be avoided. Basically, I feel what this story needs as it progresses are other decent men to appear who are important characters. Otherwise, I worry that any relationship with Emma or Charlotte could end up feeling to the reader like the MC is just deluding himself into thinking he's any different from every other evil man out in the world, and further establish that unfortunate "creep factor" in those desires.

Another interesting thing to me is how the VN is written only using dialogue (spoken and internal), without any description of activities, and yet what is happening is mostly clear to the reader from believable and well-rendered visuals and context. There are a few times when the time skips are slightly jarring, but all in all it's a good lesson in how "show don't tell" is a powerful tool in creating a seemingly real fictional world.

The choices and gameplay are also quite natural, and don't feel too forced. You can imagine the MC choosing either option, and there isn't anything too OOC that breaks immersion. Some of the choices are not easy to figure out either.

Hillside is definitely one of the more well-written and polished stories out there, and it's refreshing to not have spelling mistakes every second sentence like in some lazier VNs.

That's about it for initial thoughts. I'm looking forward to more and seeing what happens next in the story!

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
Just checked this out and really enjoyed it. I love the idea of being the protector, I really understand how the MC feels about those that have hurt the girls. I am not sure how to proceed at the moment, vis-à-vis relationships, but will see how things go. I am already anticipating the next update.

Reactions: 6pak2go

TheCrimsonRevenger

Jul 13, 2017
Will you be able to control your sexual desire and preserve your hard-earned professional reputation?
I'm assuming this is an ironic question, because 7 updates in I most decidedly have no choice in the matter thus far. :confused:

Ironically, despite that i'm not complaining but am a bit disappointed that there's so many good romanceable NPCs and the game is most certainly NOT going to offer any sort of Harem option if the current tone of writing and character building is any indication. So whoever I do ultimately pick, I am gonna feel guilty for not picking the others. Choose Lucy, and Charlotte loses the first guy she's been even slightly warming up to in decades. Pick Charlotte and I get the sense it's the lost straw Lucy can bear without being crushed over once again losing out to Charlotte.

And at this point i'm not remotely convinced Emma will even be an option the way the relationship with her and MC is being currently guided. But if so, picking her crushes the other two in the same ways. Simultaneously. Also, they might sic Child Protective Services on the MC and despite Emma's age it may be entirely justified.

So yeah. Choosing is gonna be tough. Assuming the idea that we'll get to pick isn't as ironic as the question of whether or not we'll keep to our professional ethics. :cautious:

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Choose Lucy, and Charlotte loses the first guy she's been even slightly warming up to in decades. Pick Charlotte and I get the sense it's the lost straw Lucy can bear without being crushed over once again losing out to Charlotte.
That's exactly how I see it too. I think Emma and Suzie will be ok if they are not together with the MC at the end and maybe even Charlotte but her reaction to Kaylah kissing the MC was an indication that she wants the MC for herself. For Lucy, it will be a problem when you look at her history with men only being with her to get closer to Charlotte if she again loses the man she loves to her sister.

Reactions: Pristis.Microdon

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Hm, considering the last two posts, wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out that choosing any woman over professionalism would lead to a bad end?
I mean, technically there's already Kaylah to cover the professional "no relationship with clients" part - though I've no idea how much content she's supposed to get. Right now it's too early to draw any firm conclusions anyway.

Idontknowme

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2016
I am sure that most men in the world consider themselves a gift to womankind but just to assuage your guilt over not choosing a fictional woman made out of bits and bytes, let me assure you the MC is not. Don't get me wrong, the MC is a decent person but to seriously believe the women he doesn't choose will be devastated would be narcissism of the highest order.

Charlotte has spent the majority of her life without a man in her life. She will be perfectly fine on her own. For that matter, if you don't choose her she might have her perception of men as sex-crazed beasts shaken and actually go for a date of her own and find someone.

Lucy has been perfectly happy with the casual sex she's been getting until now. If you refuse to kiss her she may be downcast for a while but she'll take it in her stride.

Suzi and Emma both have time on their hands. If you reject their advances or (more likely) don't lead them on they wil find themselves a boyfriend (or girlfriend (IDK)) of the same generation as themselves.

So, go ahead choose 'the one' for your game or 'the one' for each playthrough. This game/story does not fit the harem mould.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
But...but..but...Kaylah will not survive this game until the End....becuase of "reasons". :cry:
Wait... what? Unless she is the one hurting Emma, I don't see any "reasons" for her to die...

If you know something please put that as spoilers, or if I miss something that was obvious but not spoilers, please let me know as I tend to never realize anything that is going on until is too late. Last time I was eating this very tasty bat soup in China, late 2019, and a few months later we all ended up in quarantine.. never understood what happened.

TheCrimsonRevenger

Jul 13, 2017
Lucy is very clearly NOT perfectly happy with casual sex. It's her coping mechanism for the endless parade of shitty men who've exploited her throughout her entire life just to get to her sister, whom she clearly has a massive inferiority complex towards.

MASSIVE.

It's not even about the MC himself per se. It's about the first man she's opened up to....been honest with....been vulnerable with....treated like more than just another dick-shaped coping mechanism....doing exactly what every other man in her life did to her, if the MC were to choose to pursue Charlotte over her.

If you think that's not absolutely soul-crushing, nothing I say is gonna convince you. Hell, I think she'd actually have an easier time coping with it if the MC chose Emma or Kaylah anyone else over her BUT Charlotte. Losing yet another man to Charlotte would break her.

Then there's Charlotte. Charlotte's a full blown diagnosable misandrist. To an extreme degree. I gotta suspect that losing out on the first man she's shown even a hint of basic human empathy toward leaves her in a bit of a lurch to put it mildly. Especially since the only way for the MC to get with Lucy is to explicitly have violated Charlotte's instructions that Lucy stay away from him. Them being together is betrayal of her trust and maybe even jeopardizes Emma. I don't see any form of psychological catharsis emerging from those revelations, personally. That just reinforces all the dark stereotypes of men Charlotte already believes in her core.

So yeah...there's no Harem solution on the horizon here, clearly. And there's no choice that doesn't badly hurt another character.

Well...except for the MC to make through to the end of the story perfectly celibate....that would be an M. Knight Shyamalan-level ironic twist for an F95 game.

Chronos169

Jul 14, 2020
Ayhsel i have to quote myself from a few month back. And this is only some "what could happen" in my mind.

Since the last update i am struggling with myself if i should post my last theory.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Pls don't kill me folks....:(

P.S.

If i have nailed a few things....Dark Blue you are a genious and Hillside is for me from the story in the same league like "Depraved Awakening" and near "City of Broken Dreamers".
Keep up the work also in the future.

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
Lucy has been perfectly happy with the casual sex she's been getting until now.
I think Lucy's issues are far more serious than your description suggests. Her feelings toward Charlotte are very unhealthy and vindictive. For example, she laughs at the thought that MC will be the first guy in years to get Charlotte in bed while her sister is passed-out drunk. She then teases MC with the idea that he should help undress her comatose sister, plus she deliberately draws his attention to her body (legs, dress) as he is carrying her – and just a reminder here, this is a woman who has experienced multiple extreme traumas of sexual violence, including one where she was molested while drugged unconscious, which mirrors her current situation exactly. Lucy justifies this later to Charlotte with the idea that she was only testing MC, but we in the audience know this is just another lie, since immediately after the fact Lucy ridicules and emasculates MC for his honourable behaviour, and then she openly admits to hating her sister and confesses to a long laundry list of deliberate actions taken just to hurt her sister and those around her.

Charlotte has spent the majority of her life without a man in her life. She will be perfectly fine on her own.
Charlotte is just as unsound of mind as her sister, though her particular self-destruction takes on a different character with her alcoholism, self-isolation, obsession with her career and work, complete dehumanization and contempt for men, and extreme overprotectiveness/infantilisation of her daughter. She lives her daily life outside of her protective domestic bubble in a constant state of fear and hypervigilance, and even though she is amused by her daughter's "crushes" and emerging feelings for boys, it is almost a guarantee that the prospect and reality of her daughter actually dating a man would drive her into a paroxysm of self-medication and addiction. Once her fantasy world is punctured by reality, she will be quickly overwhelmed I expect.

The concern is: who is anyone to say that Charlotte isn't right? I'm serious. Her warnings to Kaylah came true almost within hours of their talk, and as I spoke about in my initial thoughts and reactions, this victim-filled world leaves the story with an obstacle so pervasive that it threatens to trap and close the narrative in on itself to an unfortunate degree. I have my own ideas about how it could be resolved, but the developer could have other ways to move things forward, or maybe it won't be dealt with at all (which would be unfortunate). I'm just going to wait and see what happens, and maybe I'll like it, or maybe I won't.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I present to you exhibit A and B for the reason for #TeamEmmaalltheway.

TheCrimsonRevenger

Jul 13, 2017
Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I present to you exhibit A and B for the reason for #TeamEmmaalltheway.
I'm an Emma fan too but the relationship to the MC seems to be mostly father/daughter thus far. She's gotten a few tingles sure. And it could certainly evolve to something more intimate from where it is.

But this brings us back to the points I was raising earlier. I THINK Lucy would still be pretty hurt, but not nearly as bad if the MC dumped her for Charlotte.

On the other hand, Charlotte would go absolutely nuclear. Even if she herself had no interest in the MC, she'd see it as her having brought a sexual predator into her house and exposed her innocent little Emma to his wicked manipulations. And she probably wouldn't be all that far off the mark.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
I'm an Emma fan too but the relationship to the MC seems to be mostly father/daughter thus far. She's gotten a few tingles sure. And it could certainly evolve to something more intimate from where it is.

But this brings us back to the points I was raising earlier. I THINK Lucy would still be pretty hurt, but not nearly as bad if the MC dumped her for Charlotte.

On the other hand, Charlotte would go absolutely nuclear. Even if she herself had no interest in the MC, she'd see it as her having brought a sexual predator into her house and exposed her innocent little Emma to his wicked manipulations. And she probably wouldn't be all that far off the mark.
Drama like this with what happens with the other girls is why I normally hate games where I have to choose who to romance.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
We have no idea how the relationship will evolve from the protective figure MC is now (not just physically but emotionally) to an intimate relationship.
There are a million way we can go and not in all we are necessarily a monster. Emma is young and naïve but she is not a 12 years old child and neither is MC trying to manipulate her (at least so far) into bedding her.

I am not saying those things cannot happen. Just that we the info we have so far, this could very much be a Disney story. Well, almost. Disney would probably fuck it up.

Hope and wait. One way or the other, Emma will be happy, even if I have to kill everyone in this novel.:love:

Last edited:

Raminita

Only in madness, do you find beautiful death
GFX Designer
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Unlocked

The conversation with Charlotte resumes after she hears a loud noise and rushes to the MC's bedroom.
Emma hides behind the MC to avoid being seen while shopping for Charlotte's birthday present.
And a visit to the spa for Charlotte's birthday sees everyone in a more relaxed mood.

4.20 star(s) 265 Votes