4.20 star(s) 265 Votes

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Got to the good part and it's over, I think I am addicted.....

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Looks like it's now OK not to read any of the previous messages nor use the search and flood the thread with "When's the next update?" questions instead.
So keep 'em coming!

...Since my maybe slightly sarcastic, but in no way offensive remark about looking at the previous page was reported and deleted as flame, but the reason for posting it remained untouched.
Lesson learned, thanks a lot. Now it's clear what is allowed and what isn't.

When's the next update, guys?

Last edited:

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Looks like it's now OK not to read any of the previous messages nor use the search and flood the thread with "When's the next update?" questions instead.
So keep 'em coming!

...Since my maybe slightly sarcastic, but in no way offensive remark about looking at the previous page was reported and deleted as flame, but the reason for posting it remained untouched.

Yeah, it seems that the mods can be a bit......fickle at times with what they delete.

Not using the search function or read previously pages seems to have become a staple on this forum unfortunately...

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
So keep 'em coming!

Yup, it could be annoying.
In my case, once Ive even tried to find the mod who deleted my joking/sarcastic comment while keeping intact the trolling comment I was referring to, without any success ofc.
One of the things that could be improved here for sure...
Shit happens, we move on.

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Raminita

Only in madness, do you find beautiful death
GFX Designer
Donor
Jun 11, 2017

Unlocked
Adding Animations to Hillside
We are very close to hitting our big funding goal which means that I need to start thinking about adding animations to Hillside.
Before I decide exactly what I'm going to do I'd like to hear your thoughts about animations in visual novels and what you would like to see in Hillside.
Do animations add anything? Are they worth the extended development time? Do you like looped animations of robotic sex?
If you have any thoughts to share then please leave a comment or feel free to message me via Patreon or Discord.
And a big thank you for helping me reach this goal. I really appreciate your support.
Thanks.
DB

Satburn

Nov 30, 2020
My suggestion would be to create a Poll to what people views are with the implementation of animations.

And if they preferred them, get them to vote on which type they would prefer.

The reason why I believe a poll would a good idea, is because I can see this discussion going on for a very long time with many conflicting views.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Problem with the current patreon post is that he only mentioned additional development time, but not the magnitude. Does it take an extra day or does it take an extra month? Very different answers..

Before following so many developers, I assumed animations took way less time that they seem to make. I would not be surprised if most people underestimate how much time they take (that's what happened to me).

Satburn

Nov 30, 2020
Another issue is, if the developer has not done animations that much in the past, just how steep is the learning curve to get them correct to everyone's satisfaction? This will of course prolong the development of the game.

I have seen some animations in some games done extremely poorly with the result of ruining the feel of the game.
I have also seen some very good animations in games that has created a good atmosphere within the game.

And so I would of thought finding the right balance is not a very easy task.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Another issue is, if the developer has not done animations that much in the past, just how steep is the learning curve to get them correct to everyone's satisfaction? This will of course prolong the development of the game.

I have seen some animations in some games done extremely poorly with the result of ruining the feel of the game.
I have also seen some very good animations in games that has created a good atmosphere within the game.

And so I would of thought finding the right balance is not a very easy task.
Your point is valid but at the same time, if it was only long time before the learning curve, then I would suggest he do it regardless of how long. After he learns, time would be severely cut and you could have the benefits without much cost.

Thing is, I don't think time is reduced to a minimum even once you become more used to them. There is a lower bound which is given by your rendering power that is simply not solved with more experience.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
In my experience good animations seem to take a huge amount of time, while bad ones usually aren't worth it at all. In some cases they may even downgrade the game as a whole and kill the mood.

So I'd personally prefer good renders and decent update times instead of "soso" animations and way longer waits. But of course most of that will depend on the details.

If there's a way to actually deliver decent animations within a reasonable timeframe (it may take quite a bit more time if it's worth it), it may be fine.

Satburn

Nov 30, 2020
Your point is valid but at the same time, if it was only long time before the learning curve, then I would suggest he do it regardless of how long. After he learns, time would be severely cut and you could have the benefits without much cost.

Thing is, I don't think time is reduced to a minimum even once you become more used to them. There is a lower bound which is given by your rendering power that is simply not solved with more experience.
Sounds to me then, when he has managed to get the animations to the level he is happy with, then he may have to invest into new hardware. One PC for static rendering and another for animations, to hopefully reduce a little bit of the development time.

Reactions: Ayhsel

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
my 2 cents c&p from patreon according animations:

Animations are great! But not in simple h-scenes, they should fit into the moment to pimp the story. A great example are both games from Ocean (Summer's Gone and Where It All Began) I don't even talk about the big cinematics at the end of the chapters, there are a couple of little short animations that are so beautyfull done. Not only the visuals itself, the audio plays a great role to. Don't ad animations for the sake of animations added, shitty or rushed animations ruin the flow of the game and hurt more then they have a benefit - i prefer well done single renders for storytelling/h-scenes more that shitty animations, and they are not easy so create.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
I am all for it obviously, there are plenty of places the dev can go to get free help, as for if the dev has never done animations before.

I can only go by what he said, but Glacerose of Sylphine said he had rendered some stuff in HS for Sylphine Island, and the daz/whatever was his first go of that that he used in Sylphine, and that game shits on 99% of the stuff out there, especially the sexual content.
Even still, Bad Memories has shorter clips than Sylphine and they are still smooth and good.

I have not hidden my bones for some of the characters, and only here for Emma, but this is a good game, and worth waiting.

Reactions: BigDaddyDom

6pak2go

May 27, 2020
I agree that good animations are a big plus, especially during the lewd scenes. The looping clunky repetitive sex animations do little for immersion to me. But I also like the simple ones that give greater immersion during the intimate scenes. Not particularly the sex scenes, but simple eye blinking, eye movement, and expressions, etc. that bring the character to life in front of me.

But I assume DB is a one-man band, so I would vote in favor of no animations to help him concentrate on a more engaging and immersive story through his scenes, lighting, posing and of course, the written words. I'd hate to see the development time increase. His story is what has captivated me, not the animated lewd scenes. Just my two cents.

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
Good animations add to a game. Mediocre ones less so. Animations in sex scenes don't have to be boring, and done well make it more enjoyable. Yes, it's all repetitive motion at its base but that doesn't mean animation can't go beyond repetitive motion. Imagine an animated Emma, or Lucy, or whomever you prefer, kissing the MC during a sex scene, or putting her arm around him to pull him closer, or I am sure the devs can come up with other good ideas. Imagine how having her face animated to show her pleasure will enhance the experience, as can just seeing her body move.

Many games do have boring animations, this is true. Many also have boring stories and characters. Just because many people do something at a lower level of quality does not mean that's the only level at which it can be done.

Considering how long players of this game are willing to wait for any hint of sex, I don't think some extra time for good animations will be a problem for many.

4.20 star(s) 265 Votes