Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Brenda_player_room_black_dress23.jpg Brenda_player_room_black_dress30.jpg

Brenda's anniversary appointment (0.4.0 preview)

Hello everyone,

this is a small preview of Brenda's anniversary appointment at the MC's room.
They sit on the balcony, talk and have a glass of wine, before things get more interesting back inside the room.
The new scene is quite long and reuses a couple of her already existing appointment renders.
But that's not all! Not by a long shot. There are 28 new images and a big surprise is waiting.

Enjoy the preview,darkhound1

deskt

Jul 24, 2018
The fact you have 12GB does not mean that HI gets it. Somebody else may be eating it. I can run HI fine on 8GB (W10 22H2) machine when I kick out the worst memory hog (MS Teams).
I don't know if you know this (sarcasm) but the task manager tells you how much ram an app/game consumes and it tells me that HI is consuming 6GB, it starts at 1GB but when it reaches 6GB the game freezes and I have to close it and re open it, so i pretty sure that is not RAM issue

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
I don't know if you know this (sarcasm) but the task manager tells you how much ram an app/game consumes and it tells me that HI is consuming 6GB, it starts at 1GB but when it reaches 6GB the game freezes and I have to close it and re open it, so i pretty sure that is not RAM issue
I don't know if you know this but the task manager is usually wrong. The issue is not what task manager says some application is using, but who/what is using the rest. Freezing is one of the main symptoms of not getting the required memory. The fact that you see it consistently happening at 6GB indicates you hit some limit there. Use some other tool (the Windows built-in Resource Monitor is not that great but will often do) to find out where all the memory went.

Edit: also look into graphics memory. Most GPU's these days use dedicated memory, but some when running out just grab main memory. And that is something you can't see with the task manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfcpres

MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
Meh. Modern. The first 6502 I touched just had a keyboard and nothing else. Buying ROM-basic to it was $$$. Same age group as you I guess.
Yeah... I had an Atari 400 with a "tactile keyboard", a port for inserting ROM program cartridges (mostly games, but some other apps, too), and a cassette tape drive for external storage:
1699111107693.png
1699111158057.png

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Donald Moore

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know if you know this but the task manager is usually wrong. The issue is not what task manager says some application is using, but who/what is using the rest. Freezing is one of the main symptoms of not getting the required memory. The fact that you see it consistently happening at 6GB indicates you hit some limit there. Use some other tool (the Windows built-in Resource Monitor is not that great but will often do) to find out where all the memory went.

Edit: also look into graphics memory. Most GPU's these days use dedicated memory, but some when running out just grab main memory. And that is something you can't see with the task manager.
What about 'Game Mode'? I believe it is supposed to be on already in the latest versions of Windows, but it might be worth looking into manually making HI start in that mode, as it is supposed to prioritize the use of resources to the game. Just a thought as another thing to look into and try.

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
What about 'Game Mode'? I believe it is supposed to be on already in the latest versions of Windows, but it might be worth looking into manually making HI start in that mode, as it is supposed to prioritize the use of resources to the game. Just a thought as another thing to look into and try.
Worth a try too, but still necessary to look at what else is running. I specifically mentioned MS Teams as that runs in a 'system' mode that is prioritized over everything else. Grrrrrr. So the only thing there is to kick it out. In general anything that runs with a higher priority than what you want to be highest, kick it out.

Reactions: Bantry

norb82

Sep 19, 2018
Worth a try too, but still necessary to look at what else is running. I specifically mentioned MS Teams as that runs in a 'system' mode that is prioritized over everything else. Grrrrrr. So the only thing there is to kick it out. In general anything that runs with a higher priority than what you want to be highest, kick it out.
But what resource does this game need? Runs smooth even on my 15 year old laptop.

Reactions: junior366
Jan 18, 2021
FWIW, I am playing Holiday Island on an old PC and it works just fine. The CPU is a 4th Gen Intel i5-4670, which is 10 years old. I only use the built-in GPU (no external GPU). The game uses around 7 GB of virtual memory, of which less than 3 GB are resident.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Unfortunately, the game does not work on my Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K. :cry:

EDIT: oh, wait...
zx-spectrum-holiday-island.jpg

Last edited:

Kiskocya

Dec 2, 2019
Ooooh, I've heard about these processors.
I think I even had a class on 68000 assembly ... and then I changed my major from archeology to IT. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: MarsUltor

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Sorry as Norb82 already said, the game runs on my 2016 Laptop with only 4 giga ram, but I configured the Hard Disk to work as extended memory, and it runs, (an old 1TB hard disk not the modern electronical ones) and it runs just ok

deskt

Jul 24, 2018
I don't know if you know this but the task manager is usually wrong.
I mean even with the game consuming 6GB i'm still in 68% of ram usage so don't think is ram, i play alot o these ren'py games and the one who give me lag are mostly those who lack o optimization, even MP4's are laggy in some cases, I tried changing the OpenGL option in ren'py engine to see a difference but it's still the same

What about 'Game Mode'? I believe it is supposed to be on already in the latest versions of Windows
I'm aware it exists but I've never used it.

Sorry as Norb82 already said, the game runs on my 2016 Laptop with only 4 giga ram, but I configured the Hard Disk to work as extended memory, and it runs, (an old 1TB hard disk not the modern electronical ones) and it runs just ok
i have a laptop with a i3 and 4gb The first time I played it was there, it was a very awful experience. :'v

norb82

Sep 19, 2018
Technically this game does not do more than a simple web browsing in any browser does. So should run fine on literally a microvawe owen too.

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
Technically this game does not do more than a simple web browsing in any browser does. So should run fine on literally a microvawe owen too.
Exactly, so when you run into problems it is not the game, but whatever else is running and eating the system. In the past I myself ran on a 4GB system and when I ran into trouble it was almost always some Microsoft thingie running at a higher priority wot did it. Note, while you can run on 4GB when you start jumping back and forth in the phone on the girl's screens you simply run out of memory. Especially when looking at the events/scenes/appointments of girls that have a lot of them.

4.10 star(s) 219 Votes