VN Ren'Py Abandoned Holiday Islands [v0.10.2] [Devon Andersson]

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
The game is on a 1 hour time system now. I'm still not happy with it and I will probably rip out the 5 second interval thing too. I found it annoying to wait up to 5 seconds to advance the time
I tried V2 and you definitely make the right choice to rip out the 5-second interval for next version. Auto time interval does not work well with static screens because whatever the interval is, it's either too quick or too slow depending on the person playing.

I guess I have to move back to the traditional click-button to advance time or do-this activity to pass time scheme. I wanted to try something different but it does not seem work very well.
Definitely kudos for trying, but there's no shame in going back to a tried-n-tested method if that is going to improve the quality of your game. I'm just glad that you aren't stubborn enough to insist on doing something different just for the sake of being different.

To the V2, is the new content only the shopping part? I noticed the extra image on the boat, but I can't seem to do anything at the strip club and there seem to be no new quest. Just checking to make sure I don't miss anything.

Looking forward to V3. I think Meagan and Emily are definitely two very interesting characters and I'm interested to see where this is going.

phreakinowski

Dec 1, 2017
Beautiful graphics, interesting story being developed, and a developer that is open to changes based on user feedback while working with what looks to be a well thought out development plan... this one is shaping up to be a real winner!

I agree as well with getting rid of the 5 sec time skip delay which caused me some confusion at first, and simplifying away from the 10 minute intervals to either a 30 min or 1 hour setup if only for how much it should reduce coding work for the dev... the 10 min intervals seem a bit too granular and a lot of extra work, but 30 min or 1 hour should be cleaner from a user perspective and simpler going forward for the dev perspective.

Also, I played on Mac and it was clean with no errors at all, so no worries there... RenPy rocks for it's cross platform ease! So now I just wait for the next version, but really looking forward to how this develops... great job so far dev!

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
Nice one indeed, love the models, feel realistic. Anyone managed to get rollback working? I tried with unren and the console, still doesnt work.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Anyone managed to get rollback working?
I already expected that some people will use the "crowbar" and try to force enable/disable stuff like rollback.
Rollback was disabled because it was incompatible with this kind of time-system and could break the game. Another reason why it had to be replaced ... and it's gone in V3, which means rollback can be enabled then.

Whether rollback will be on or off by default, I'm not sure about that yet to be honest, it's to early ... there are good reasons for and against rollbacks.

Maestro91

Aug 2, 2017
Fan of DoD are you Dev? Is it just a fun easteregg or is it something more behind it?
Renders were good and the premise looks good so far. I look forward to more.

Also, anyone working on a walkthrough? That or at least allow rollback for choices.

Reactions: Alexa314

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
V3 is now public on .
V3josie_baywatch.jpg
How can i contact with parents?
I don't even remember myself if that quest was finished in V2. But it certainly is in V3 and to avoid confusion I've added additional colored text to each quest like this:
Quest cannot be completed in this version.
Quest can be completed in this version.
But please always keep in mind this game in a very early version and things WILL be broken/unfinished.

ive got all max stats but i cant hook up with any of the girls?
You cheated with the console or with a sympathy exploit that was in V2 and is now fixed. The girls don't hook up with cheaters! But seriously, you can't, that content simple does not exist yet.

Fan of DoD are you Dev? Is it just a fun easteregg or is it something more behind it?
Something more. She was planned as side character. For her bikini-color was voted some time ago . She is in V3 with the winner-outfit but the introduction with her will be ... different.

Wall of text for the people asking for a name change:

In the US there are four trademarks with the name Holiday Island. All of them are dead/no longer active. In germany there is only one trademarked somewhat similar brand with this name that uses the singular 'island' in the name. A brand for roses. Therefore the plural "Islands" was picked fully on purpose back in November 2017. Also there is a real "Holiday Island" on earth and the story will play on multiple islands in multiple episodes. So it makes sense to use the plural. I'd guess that 99% of all developers creating adult-games don't even check for branded names. I did. I was aware of the game "Holiday Island" from Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software. In fact I own the original. Only the name "Sunflowers" was trademarked as far as I can tell. But I didn't know that there is already an adult game with this name. From a legal perspective it is safer to use "Holiday Islands" instead of "Holiday Island".
HolidayIsland.jpg
What most do not realize is that a clean !!! name change is a week of work. MINIMUM! Currently I have 268 DAZ-scene-files for this project, all would break because resources are no longer at the same path, which is the biggest problem, scripts for backups, image-cropping, image-resizing, image-sharpening, image-metadata, compression, mastering, etc... would have to be fixed, multiple days to re-render already existing graphics, finding a new legally usable name and obviously also changing it in the Ren'Py-scripts everywhere.

Please just get over it, the names aren't even the same. Yes I understand it causes confusion and the difference is small but it does not justify the amount of extra work. A name change will not happen unless there are legal issues. I'm sorry and hope you will understand when viewing this from a developers perspective.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
DmD bit tits big head D girl i see ....

:rolleyes: honestly dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing. i tend more on the "bad" thing for me as i like to see different chars on differents game.

but for sure, some peoples would love her in here ^^

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
does old save work …… I tried to use mine and all I get is errors
Did you notice the red letters on top that show up when you try to load a save that says that older saves are not supported?

evildead

Feb 11, 2018
yip I seen it the 3rd time I tried (2) lol load them ....my bad
but it was a waste of time trying it …. as I restarted the game just to end at the same spot as v0.2

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes