How fluent is your English?

How fluent is your English?

• Perfect. Because I'm just that good.

Votes: 78 50.6%
  • Good, but I still get confused by a lot of big words.

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Passable. I understand simple written sentences, but any more than that and I'm likely to get lost.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Poor. I piece together the story from the limited number of key words I do understand.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Zero. I make up my own story from the pictures. In fact, I don't even understand this question.

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Example from german language:
You are in the car next to the driver. Car is waiting on a cross and the ample is red.
You say, as the ample has switched: "It's green, you can driver."
What is my intend hear? Without additonal content, I guss your solution is as good as mine.
Is it: "Your lazy ass it is green, so go!" or simple "In case your eyes was not nailed on the street, the light has changed."?:)
You are in the car next to the driver. The car is waiting at a junction and the light is red.
You say, as the light has changed: "It's green, you can drive"

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
You are in the car next to the driver. The car is waiting at a junction and the light is red.
You say, as the light has changed: "It's green, you can drive"
Now it is in better English than before, but my question about the situation is still the same.;)

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Now it is in better English than before, but my question about the situation is still the same.;)
Well I think it is, that is why I changed some words to make more sense. I am no expert but I have translated Japanese to English with the use of Google Translate and it was far more difficult than what I did there.

Reactions: c3p0

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Also, one other thing I notice in a lot of games is when a woman's lady parts are referred to as her "sex", i.e. "she took off her panties and revealed her sex".

I honestly don't think anyone, in the history of the English language, has ever referred to a woman's pussy/vagina/fanny/snatch/muff/slit/twat/box/beaver/cunt as her "sex".
It is present in this dictionary:

Besides, it is an expression used in other languages as well.

Reactions: a robot

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Also, one other thing I notice in a lot of games is when a woman's lady parts are referred to as her "sex", i.e. "she took off her panties and revealed her sex".

I honestly don't think anyone, in the history of the English language, has ever referred to a woman's pussy/vagina/fanny/snatch/muff/slit/twat/box/beaver/cunt as her "sex".
Addenda: I found this quote from George R. R. Martin's A feast for crows (that I haven't read yet, but it doesn't spoil anything).
There was no pleasure in it, not for her. For Taena, yes. Her nipples were two black diamonds, her sex slick and steamy.
It is indeed a classy way to refer to the pudenda.

Reactions: SuperMaxo

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Addenda: I found this quote from George R. R. Martin's A feast for crows (that I haven't read yet, but it doesn't spoil anything).

It is indeed a classy way to refer to the pudenda.
Those books are set in a fictional, medieval-style world. Perhaps it was common in times like that to use the word "sex" to describe a woman's genitalia, but nobody in the modern world uses it that way anymore.

Reactions: Dreadder

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Even so, nobody in the English speaking world refers to a woman's vagina as her "sex".
Those books are set in a fictional, medieval-style world. Perhaps it was common in times like that to use the word "sex" to describe a woman's genitalia, but nobody in the modern world uses it that way anymore.
It's a literary expression, not common in everyday use, but sure part of the higher linguistic register.
Search on Google "touched her sex" (with the " to denote you want that expression and not the single words) and you will find modern examples in books with modern settings.
I found a book titled "Forever Love" by a contemporary canadian author, Deborah Armstrong, in which the following is written:
"Now?" she gasped as his hand touched her sex.

It is a common expression in literature.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
It's a literary expression, not common in everyday use, but sure part of the higher linguistic register.
Search on Google "touched her sex" (with the " to denote you want that expression and not the single words) and you will find modern examples in books with modern settings.
I found a book titled "Forever Love" by a contemporary canadian author, Deborah Armstrong, in which the following is written:

It is a common expression in literature.
And all these games and VNs are meant to be set in the everyday world with dialogue that reflects that, therefore this term is still wrong for that context.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
And all these games and VNs are meant to be set in the everyday world with dialogue that reflects that, therefore this term is still wrong for that context.
No, no, no.
You are wrong.
It'd be as you say if a character from the ghetto told a Backstreet alley hoe "I will touch your sex" or "show me your sex". But if it's the description of the act the context isn't wrong. The tone of the narration can be of a higher register than the acts described.
A funny example is from Dante's Divine Comedy, which is a centerpiece of Italian poetry, in which the Poet writes:
Ed elli avea del cul fatto trombetta.
Which would literally be "And he had made of his ass a trumpet". That is to say he farted. The act is low and rude, the linguistic register is high.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
You know, I have since prefaced that by saying the "modern world", and I don't think 1748 can really be considered the "modern world".

You are aware what year and what century it actually is, right?
Before you get out of your pram, you posted this
Even so, nobody in the English speaking world refers to a woman's vagina as her "sex".
Yes the story, is old but are you trying to tell me that no-one reads classic novels in this century and would use the term "her sex" for vagina? Just because you might not use it does not mean that no-one would.

Reactions: random.person

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
No, no, no.
You are wrong.
It'd be as you say if a character from the ghetto told a Backstreet alley hoe "I will touch your sex" or "show me your sex". But if it's the description of the act the context isn't wrong. The tone of the narration can be of a higher register than the acts described.
A funny example is from Dante's Divine Comedy, which is a centerpiece of Italian poetry, in which the Poet writes:

Which would literally be "And he had made of his ass a trumpet". That is to say he farted. The act is low and rude, the linguistic register is high.
What?
I've never said that using the word "sex" to describe the act of having sex was wrong, but that nobody in the real, modern, everyday world describes a woman's vagina as her "sex". So seeing that term being used in these games and VNs is weird and out of place.

Reactions: *inhales*Boi

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Before you get out of your pram, you posted this

Yes the story, is old but are you trying to tell me that no-one reads classic novels in this century and would use the term "her sex" for vagina? Just because you might not use it does not mean that no-one would.
You know what, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

People may still read these older novels and the more modern day literoticas, but if you said to a native English speaking girl that you liked her "sex" when referring to her pussy, she'd laugh in your face because nobody uses that term in the modern, everyday world.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
What?
I've never said that using the word "sex" to describe the act of having sex was wrong, but that nobody in the real, modern, everyday world describes a woman's vagina as her "sex". So seeing that term being used in these games and VNs is weird and out of place.
I used the word as you said. Touching someone's sex means touching someone's genitalia. Showing your sex means showing your genitalia. That's what I meant saying that unless it's an uneducated character saying it it's completely fine for the author to write "he touched her sex" or "she lowered her panties, revealing her sex". That's because the author can use a higher linguistic register compared to his/her characters.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
What?
Just curious, but are you aware of how every time you claim this, and someone shows you that you're wrong, you just move the goalposts?

How many examples of people using the word in exactly that way would it take to convince you that you're wrong?

And exactly what evidence do you have that you're right? Other than merely insisting to be, that is.

215303j

You know what, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

People may still read these older novels and the more modern day literoticas, but if you said to a native English speaking girl that you liked her "sex" when referring to her pussy, she'd laugh in your face because nobody uses that term in the modern, everyday world.
I may hope that, should a non-native English speaker get close enough to a native English speaking woman to touch her intimately, she would not "laugh in his face" because he used an outdated / literary / clinical expression that's not down with tha boyz in tha hood.

Maybe she could chuckle a bit though...

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
I may hope that, should a non-native English speaker get close enough to a native English speaking woman to touch her intimately, she would not "laugh in his face" because he used an outdated / literary / clinical expression that's not down with tha boyz in tha hood.

Maybe she could chuckle a bit though...
Are you telling me gurls nowadays don't appreciate phrases such as the following?!
"Ye fairest Lady, might I touche thy holiest place wherefrom thy sweetest nectar floweth? Might my lips sample thy water and lock us tight in amorous embrace?"