Joey's Conscience

Sep 28, 2020
Hi guys, I was reading this post. Is everything in it correct?

https://f95zone.to/threads/so-you-want-to-make-a-harem-a-helpful-guide.150068/

Some things seem very extreme to me.
Could you elaborate on what you think is too much? I think that post had a lot of the user's personal preference, but its mostly correct in the context of a Harem game.

What I personally disagree with:

The importance of LI virginity. They dont need to be virgins as long as you avoid too much information. I actually think having all the girls be holy maidens hurts game variety.

Personally I don't think having LIs getting frisky with each other is a bad thing. But that's just me, I have seen people complaining about that a few times.

There are other things that I would consider fairly unimportant, like all the LIs living with the MC. But I think it was a good guideline overall if the aim is to make a harem game. Though a game with 1 male and multiple LIs isnt necessarily a harem game, nor does it need to be.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018

I differ on some things, but when it comes to the presence of other guys having sex, he's absolutely right, at least in my case: I don't like netorare or sharing, and I'd rather not see any voyeur scenes in which a guy is having sex with an girl (who, in the case of being a future LI, has quite a few numbers of not liking me from that moment on). The LIs' sex lives prior to being with the MC shouldn't be mentioned at all, except to say that they're virgins (if they are), if they're not, there's no need to know anything else.

On the other hand, a prostitute LI (or who has any other profession of a sexual nature) isn't a LI, at least for me.

Regarding relationships between LIs, I find lesbian sex boring, and therefore I prefer to avoid it happening, but as long as the MC agrees, and I don't have to see it, I don't care if LIs have lesbian relationships with each other. A relationship of a LI in the harem with another girl outside the harem is sharing or NTR, so I don't want that to happen.

On the other hand, I've always thought that side girls who aren't going to be part of the harem are a waste of time: If the MC isn't going to have a romantic relationship with the girl when the game ends, I see no reason to do the sex scene.

For the rest, I'm not so radical regarding the presence of a friend or other male characters who aren't antagonists, as long as they serve the story it's good that they are there. In any case, the sexual life of these characters must remain a secret, nobody wants to know anything about their sentimental relationships or about whether they have sex with this or another girl (and it's important that in no case the girl with whom the friend or these other characters are in an active sexual relationship is a LI, at least not a LI with witch the MC has already established a romantic relationship). For my tastes, any LI who has a boyfriend, lover, or husband must end their sexual relations with this person at the moment they begin to be with the MC (if sooner is better, but in my case it isn't strictly necessary). In fact, in my opinion, she should preferably break up with that person before starting the relationship with the MC.

EDIT:

Could you elaborate on what you think is too much? I think that post had a lot of the user's personal preference, but its mostly correct in the context of a Harem game.

The importance of LI virginity. They dont need to be virgins as long as you avoid too much information. I actually think having all the girls be holy maidens hurts game variety.

Personally I don't think having LIs getting frisky with each other is a bad thing. But that's just me, I have seen people complaining about that a few times.

There are other things that I would consider fairly unimportant, like all the LIs living with the MC. But I think it was a good guideline overall if the aim is to make a harem game. Though a game with 1 male and multiple LIs isnt necessarily a harem game, nor does it need to be.
Except for certain LIs, I don't see that it's that important that they are all virgins, but knowing their previous sex life in detail (before starting a relationship with the MC) is a sure way to make a LI unlikable. As well as having a LI who is a active prostitute (and possibly also if she has been and isn't anymore, depends on how much she likes to talk about her previous job) or a slut that fucks for fun with a lot of guys (and even more if she likes to talk about it).

Last edited:

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021

Punto

Jun 18, 2020
I dont get any further?? If I leave Miriel and choose the map, I can't choose any location!!??
:mad: :mad: (n)o_O:eek::unsure:

Kuggazer

Game Developer
Sep 6, 2017
I dont get any further?? If I leave Miriel and choose the map, I can't choose any location!!??
:mad: :mad: (n)o_O:eek::unsure:
Did you load the save of the second chapter and see the empty map?
It is recommended to start from the beginning with the third chapter, as I wrote several times. To make it faster, you can also skipped all the scenes until the end of the second chapter.
If this is not the problem, please explain further.

Kuggazer

Game Developer
Sep 6, 2017

You have listed almost everything. The importance of virginity, having to live under the same roof or not giving importance to friends or npc's.
You don't necessarily have to have sex with everyone you meet on your path.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
You have listed almost everything. The importance of virginity, having to live under the same roof or not giving importance to friends or npc's.
As someone who primarily plays harem games I don't think virginity matters in most cases. Characters that are very closely related to the mc like a sister, daughter( if the game has incest) or a childhood friend, in those cases most fans of the genre prefer if they are virgins. But as Joey's Conscience said just avoid giving people too much information about their sexual past unless it is essential to the story. As for the harem members being sexual with each other I don't think most fans care that much. As long as the mc is aware and they are not doing it behind his back, I think most people are ok with it.
Also as you probably read in the post you linked about harem games. NTR/sharing in the eyes of most harem fans is not compatible with the harem genre even if it's optional. Most harem fans will not give the game a try if they see those tags and those games end up with a fanbase of mostly NTR fans. A good example of this, is the game power vacuum. The NTR in that game is avoidable and it's not even canon. It only happens in bad endings and the vast majority of the fanbase are ntr fans.

Last edited:

Kuggazer

Game Developer
Sep 6, 2017
On the NTR/sharing matter, you are free to believe what you want. But please, can we keep this thread clean? There is no point in continuing to write the same things. You and me. I would like to talk about the game instead of the usual topic.
This is my last post on this. I'm tired, guys.

ProtDan

Nov 27, 2019

Eh, I personally wish there was more polyamory stuff inside harems, yes, the MC is still the main focus but some love between the girls (that are part of the harem, not outside of it) would be nice. This isn't even very polarizing as long as you make it avoidable.
The single protagonist thing is spot on. The virginity thing is pretty unimportant imo, but it is a mistake to overshare about the LI's past conquests, a simple virgin? yes/no is enough 99% of the time, making LI's super hoes tends to be pretty polarizing too. Not overdoing the inter-harem drama also feels correct.
The whole no voyeurism thing I agree with, always feels like a waste of time at best and game ruining at worst, get an LI involved and you'll get a shitshow in the thread. The MC being a weak doormat is personal preference but I personally agree with it, so many MC's are sacrificed on the altar of possible "character development" that it's really just tiresome for the player at this point. I can only be bothered with so many loser MC's before I stop caring, especially since a lot of games die before said character development has a chance to happen.
I pretty much 100% agree with the spirit of his "trap of realism" but as I've said, I wish harems had more polyamory vibes when it comes to the girls, that's just me though. At least you get an easy pass as long as you make it avoidable or even just skippable sometimes.
The whole virginity shtick feels more like personal preference but tbf, it's the preference of a big part of the fans of the genre, I personally don't care all that much if the LI's don't overshare, I don't really care if it never gets mentioned to start with but to each their own. On the other hand, flashbacks or overdoing the details of a LI's romantic/sexual past is a sure way to alienate at least part of your audience and start a shitshow in the thread. At the end of the day, there's very little gained from oversharing.
Agree with the rape thing, overdone and not all that impactful at this point. I personally just steer away from anything that has it. The Sharing/Swinging thing feels spot on. So does the NTR. The Netori part feels okay but it's not really my fetish so I wouldn't know for sure, not my thing so I tend to avoid when possible. The lesbian part feels kinda okay even from my view? A bit too limited (with only the mc being there) but I agree that the MC needs to be the new anchor, otherwise he ends up feeling like the third wheel, which happened in quite a few games that had that setup. Magic and the adult entertainment industry feels spot on.

Meh, this is enough, it might be a bit all over the place I basically wrote as I read. Generally the post is more right than wrong and even then it's opinions. There's some hard rules so that the game/thread is controversy free (basically trying to limit the game to having 1 dick only) otherwise you can get away with making stuff avoidable or even just skippable in some cases.

Kuggazer

Game Developer
Sep 6, 2017
sandbox why ? :/
I am still talking with my friend about the free roam matter.
We may decide to remove it if you don't like it. It would be much faster for us to work on the game without free roaming.
I will wait for some more opinions from those who are playing it.

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I dont' know about everyone else. I'm a big fan of the virginity trope because not many devs are good enough writers to make a nonvirgin work without mentioning sex with another dude. Virginity is an easy way to write a character. If you want to write a non-virgin in a Harem story that isn't a mom, good luck.

As far as living under the same roof, I don't think Harem's need that. That's only in the most extreme situations. If you are making a master class of Harem where EVERY girl needs to love and live with you, then sure. But it's not necessary for you to go that far.

For perspective. I'm writing a story in the wholesome camp that revolves around 3 major characters. Those characters already live together, so it's not a problem, but if they didn't, I wouldn't go out of my way to make them live together unless it made sense. On to the virginity thing, it's mostly for fantasy. In real life virginity means absolutely zero to me, but in a game, it means a lot. Most of this thinking was spawned by the Japanese perspective. Most anime has the girls as pure maidens. While that's not necessary, it's part of it. That said, it's NOT all of it. I genuinely love working towards a character that is a virgin, but I don't want the exact same tropes. Having characters with personalities that approach the situations differently can be really interesting AND they can be a virgin too.

For example, one of my characters believes in fate. When she gets an idea in her head, it's almost impossible to take it out of her head. It's similar to imprinting. She latches on to something. In this case, she feels spritually linked to the MC and her Moments with him will be different than say my other love interests. Each of them will have a VERY different journey to the MC and most of them are virgin characters. :D

Fazed

Nov 21, 2018
Kuggazer
Will this game have Futa LI (optional obviously for those that dont like it) content later on, or is that still tbd. Yes I saw the dev notes but idk if its an exhaustive list, meaning there might be room for more. I know some of that content exists in Max's Life but only just barely and only in side content that lasts less than 10 seconds. I am inclined to think probably not because of that but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I have played all of Max's Life and though I wish the story had more substance I still enjoyed it for the most part. This looks like a step in that direction though. (y) I played with the 3 letter tag disabled btw.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have skimmed through the tread and I have seen the "how to make a harem topic"
I play mostly harem games and imo virginity isn't that important in general to me as long as whatever happened in the past stays in the past. I generally don't kiss and tell(unless the girl has a kink for it or something) so I don't want to hear about it either. Seems like the general consensus anyways. As for prostitution...again if its in the past then it's w/e to me. If it's an ongoing situation though then hell no. Though If its situation where such a character is rescued out of it by the MC then for me personally I could overlook it sure(mostly cuz it would feed my savior ego), but its still a risky move I'd say.

I don't mind the girls messing around with each other as long as the MC knows about it and is into it. What is described in the reference thread is a bit rigid. IMO, if two girls are going to agree with me fucking the both of them together at the same time and then they also want to have fun between them why would I stop them? I find it hot. It is jarring if it happens with no story build up however. Seriously I know not everyone likes girl on girl or lesbians w/e content but that doesnt mean nobody does. I'd wager more guys do than don't. Some games give you the option of choosing if you want the girls to do things even when the MC isn't present, only when present, or not at all. This is the best way to handle it if you ask me. I do agree that the MC should still be primary. Perhaps you can work that into the dirty talk where appropriate.

Gameplay wise most people will be ok with content as long as interactions are left up to player choice and the story depicts those choices. No point skipping things if the dialogue still says it happens. Leave it up to the player to decide and give them the appropriate scenes.

I haven't played this game yet so I can't comment on anything specific from this game but I am planning to give it a shot later.

Everything else in the reference thread is spot on.

Last edited:

mdmnsjs1

Nov 21, 2018
so how do you talk to theodmer when you do get to his house and try he tells you do you want to see mu mu's asleep and you go back to him and it says the same thing how to get past that heres my save id appreciate the help

4.10 star(s) 52 Votes