VN Ren'Py How I Became the Bodyguard of the Saintess! [v0.6] [Lunardis]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Sinisterheat

Nov 19, 2018
Kind of hope in the future we get to kill that prime minister chick lol. More dangerous than the s-level people. Or maybe one of the s-levels attack her and MC just walks by and they plead for our help and we're just like "eh...." kick back on a lounger with some beer lmao.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Shadowen

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
why is it tagged with harem? there are no harem right now (you don't tag games with future tags, unless you are shitty moderator here, above any rules), nor there won't be any actual harem in the future, judging by the dev comment

Reactions: Juerhullycin

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
why is it tagged with harem? there are no harem right now (you don't tag games with future tags, unless you are shitty moderator here, above any rules), nor there won't be any actual harem in the future, judging by the dev comment
I suspect someone just troll reported a harem tag.

• Sad
Reactions: Lunardis

kibaris

Mar 17, 2019
this update made me wish for a path where we could side with Chaos, because i dont see any people in this country that deserve to be saved except for that little girl ^^.
Also, Theresa was always the one who left me mostly indifferent , but now she's just disgust me after what she did and want to do.

Reactions: Raziel_8

robbaniak

Jul 17, 2019
After loading a save from August (when the God Slayer is supposed to appear), I don't see any new content, only a sign informing me that this is the end of version 0.6. Is it just me who has this, or did something screw up with my saves?

Update:
When I went back to the previous choice, everything became clear :cautious:
1708003310261.png

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
After loading a save from August (when the God Slayer is supposed to appear), I don't see any new content, only a sign informing me that this is the end of version 0.6. Is it just me who has this, or did something screw up with my saves?
Crazy, it's almost like a completely different path got updated or something :whistle::whistle:

• Haha

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
So it's going to be like some harem VN games where you have to complete all the routes and after that you get a "unlockable" harem ending but not a full route?
More or less, yes. Harem ending won't be a complete route, it will still be something with a certain length, and development. I didn't reallly think if that would be unlockable only after completing other routes, that would make some sense, but that's not an absolute obligation...

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
Man, the story was doing so well until the first fight with the 3 S level enemies.

I hate the freaking cliche enemy that clearly has an advantage in the fight just leaving for no reason, doubly so with an exit comment about coming back in 3 days to kill them. Like...if they were actually enemies and actually wanted to kill anyone they would just do it when everyone is exhausted. The story has already told that one S level enemy is too much most of the time, two should be way overkill let alone a 3rd even if they are kind of hurt.

*edit* And now finished the Angie stuff...super disappointed in the sex scene. I fucking hate when renders are purposefully done so you dont see penetration. Like...come on at least take the time to properly show everything.

*double edit* just fast forwarded to see the new scenes with Melope and they are the exact same. Entire sex scene without actually seeing anything. So disappointed.

For the first fight with the 3S level, there are reasons explaining why they back up. The fact Swordsman is wounded, the bluff of Angelica that she would be able to kill at least one of them, something they take very seriously, the fact that they have a better plan for later, with less risk.

if those reasons didn't convince you... let's agree to disagree I guess?

For the sex scene, honestly, I'm still a green dev, with a lot to learn, so I'm not surprised to learn the sex scenes are far from being perfect. Adding more explicit penetration could be a good idea, something to think of. if I go that way, I'll probably ask first with a poll what people think about it. No offense, but I won't add stuff each time someone comes and complains, that would be the best way to have something making no sense at the end, but I'll try to take your comment constructively.

Reactions: notBatman747

tehmasta

May 1, 2017
that would make some sense, but that's not an absolute obligation...
So you could could get the harem ending in 1 playthrough? that sounds much better.
The vn's i mentioned with unlockable harem ends just consists of giving you 1 or 2 cg's and like 5 minute playtime at the very end of the game without any buildup whatsoever.
Anyhow, will keep an eye on how this one goes. Good luck.

grumble314

Nov 23, 2021
How can this game have a Harem tag when there are several instances of this is an important decision pick one of the four?

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
Kind of hope in the future we get to kill that prime minister chick lol. More dangerous than the s-level people. Or maybe one of the s-levels attack her and MC just walks by and they plead for our help and we're just like "eh...." kick back on a lounger with some beer lmao.
Not immediately, but there's a certain scene you'll probably see at one point... let's just say I hope you'll remember this post when you see it...

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
The Saintess isn't something that gets past down through a families gene's through the generations, so no the mom/grandma/ancestor did not bang some god or uber powerful thing for Angie to become The Saintess. When one Saintess dies another person gets chosen to become The Saintess - this is how Angelica becomes The Saintess. This is covered/discussed/brought-up in the game.

You can avoid the incest patch if you want, and have them play out as best friends and such, but to me the incest patch makes more sense story wise. Considering how the MC came to be who he is... makes much, much more sense IMO with the incest patch, and it adds extra weight to the issues between the MC and Angelica as well. Frankly, it also makes the MC's disgust/anger at how Angelica is treated by certain ppl make much more sense with the incest patch. (unfortunately can't really say much about these points... because that would spoil things from the story).
-----------

On a different note: Am I the only one who stops going through the story when certain songs/music play?

I'm really happy that the music is provided to just listen to if wanted as well. But still, when playing the game or re-watching some scenes.. I stop to listen to the music... lol
----------

Just finished the current update with Melope. Have to say, the outcome is exactly what I expected to happen. Not saying it was badly written or such - it's very well foreshadowed throughout the game prior that this is the type of situation that would arise.

Really does make me wonder how we are going to resolve both of the major plot points in the Melope scenario. Cause as it stands, I just don't see how we can... esp with things the way they are between 'the good guys' right now.

But it makes me want one thing even more than before:

Can we please, please, please, please lop that bi-atch's head off before the game is finished? I'd prefer to torture her and make her suffer for a long, long time... but I'll do with "Surprise MF'er" lopping off her head.
Thanks for the explanation, I wouldn't have said it better.

As for the Prime Minister (If you're talking about her?), there is some nasty surprise waiting for her. You'll have to wait a little to see it though...

• Red Heart
Reactions: Shadowen

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
how long is the current gameplay?
Hard to give a proper estimate, but I'd guess between 5 and 10 hours. It's very story-driven, there's a bit of H-scene, but not much. I think the story is worth it, but... that's my biased opinion as a developer.

undead_sun

Jan 24, 2021
I'm on the Melope route now, my first one. She was my favourite with Theresa being a close second so I'll read what is available of those routes for now.
It's a cliched story and the hit or miss humour sometimes makes it hard to take it seriously even in serious moments but those flaws are not a big deal to me. It's pretty nice overall and I've certainly read much worse.
Part of me is sad that the little mage knight doesn't have a route but I also respect a developer that knows his own limits.

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
A harem ending is planned, which is why the tag was there. It seems to have been removed, because of your report I guess, given the timing. I agree, there was a mistake, I should have specified why the harem tag was there, it's my fault.

About adding the tag when content is not yet present

Let's be clear, I have no intention of changing the rule or anything, but this is probably the only opportunity I have to give my opinion on the subject, so why not. Also, I'm not an experienced user of this site, I frequent it regularly, but I may have missed a feature or nuance. My apologies if this is the case. And if it makes all my reasoning wrong.

From what I can see, a lot of developers use the tag to inform people about what's in it, or not, but also to inform about the type of game they're working on. While I don't doubt that some of them abuse the system to promote the game on content that doesn't exist (and probably never will), I think some of them use it simply because they have no other solution, even if they know they're not clearly respecting the rule.

To take an example, let's say my life deteriorates to the point where I decide to make a netorare game ( :eek: ), but with very slow progression. If I follow the rule, I won't add the netorare tag until there's real content to justify it. But what does that mean? That most people interested in this kind of game will completely miss out on the first releases, most people don't have the time to check out games one by one after all, and as far as I know, there's no obvious way to search for a game with a future tag system.

As a developer, I can tell you that it's very hard to work several months a day on a game and have it ignored by the community you're working for, and I'm not talking about money here, just the satisfaction of knowing that your work is appreciated.

In my opinion (and this is just my interpretation), the moderators are aware of the infraction some people are doing, but they're willing to look the other way because they're very aware of the problem. If someone is using the tag sytem simply to inform the community of the type of game they're working on, and if this allows the community to have more visibility so that interested people can follow the type of game they want, then it's a win-win situation. There would be no reason to strictly enforce the rule here... unless of course someone pops up and starts making noise.

In fact, I think this rule, and the people who chase developers to have it strictly enforced, do more harm than good to the community. They encourage devs to rush their stories to get content out as quickly as possible, otherwise they won't benefit from the visibility of the tag system. If I decide to do an incest story, I have to rush the incest quickly, even though incest fans would be perfectly fine with an incest story with a slow-burn romance.

In short, there is no perfect solution, and following the rule strictly is sometimes as bad as having no rule at all. At least, that's what I think from what I've seen.

Again, I'm just speaking in general terms. And there's always the possibility that I'm missing some important element. Anyway, the harem tag will no longer be added on this game, I admit it was a mistake because the reason for its appearance wasn't clear enough, which created confusion.

And let's be honest, even if I could convince you, there would probably be five other people jumping on it immediately afterwards. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter, probably the only opportunity I have to do so.... :unsure:

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Well, before this update i thought it's only the current prime minister which is trash, but it turns out that country as well as the knights were trash all along...
I really wish for an option to side with Chaos and let them burn that shithole of a city or better the entire country.
I don't see any reason why i would want to help them, they clearly deserve what is coming for them, same with Saki i imagine. I'd just take Family & co and leave ( and watch the city burn :coffee:).

Theresa also went to trash tier, together with the knights imo.

Harem4life

Jul 21, 2023
A harem ending is planned, which is why the tag was there. It seems to have been removed, because of your report I guess, given the timing. I agree, there was a mistake, I should have specified why the harem tag was there, it's my fault.

Let's be clear, I have no intention of changing the rule or anything, but this is probably the only opportunity I have to give my opinion on the subject, so why not. Also, I'm not an experienced user of this site, I frequent it regularly, but I may have missed a feature or nuance. My apologies if this is the case. And if it makes all my reasoning wrong.

From what I can see, a lot of developers use the tag to inform people about what's in it, or not, but also to inform about the type of game they're working on. While I don't doubt that some of them abuse the system to promote the game on content that doesn't exist (and probably never will), I think some of them use it simply because they have no other solution, even if they know they're not clearly respecting the rule.

To take an example, let's say my life deteriorates to the point where I decide to make a netorare game ( :eek: ), but with very slow progression. If I follow the rule, I won't add the netorare tag until there's real content to justify it. But what does that mean? That most people interested in this kind of game will completely miss out on the first releases, most people don't have the time to check out games one by one after all, and as far as I know, there's no obvious way to search for a game with a future tag system.

As a developer, I can tell you that it's very hard to work several months a day on a game and have it ignored by the community you're working for, and I'm not talking about money here, just the satisfaction of knowing that your work is appreciated.

In my opinion (and this is just my interpretation), the moderators are aware of the infraction some people are doing, but they're willing to look the other way because they're very aware of the problem. If someone is using the tag sytem simply to inform the community of the type of game they're working on, and if this allows the community to have more visibility so that interested people can follow the type of game they want, then it's a win-win situation. There would be no reason to strictly enforce the rule here... unless of course someone pops up and starts making noise.

In fact, I think this rule, and the people who chase developers to have it strictly enforced, do more harm than good to the community. They encourage devs to rush their stories to get content out as quickly as possible, otherwise they won't benefit from the visibility of the tag system. If I decide to do an incest story, I have to rush the incest quickly, even though incest fans would be perfectly fine with an incest story with a slow-burn romance.

In short, there is no perfect solution, and following the rule strictly is sometimes as bad as having no rule at all. At least, that's what I think from what I've seen.

Again, I'm just speaking in general terms. And there's always the possibility that I'm missing some important element. Anyway, the harem tag will no longer be added on this game, I admit it was a mistake because the reason for its appearance wasn't clear enough, which created confusion.

And let's be honest, even if I could convince you, there would probably be five other people jumping on it immediately afterwards. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter, probably the only opportunity I have to do so.... :unsure:
Hey there, I'm a huge fan of your work and I loved every bit of it until I was asked to choose one. That's my mistake because I didn't check the tags and simply assumed it to be a Harem. I was really happy to see that you've decided to add Harem to this game.

Since you've mentioned NTR and it's slow progression, there have to be some elements throughout the story to give the feel of an NTR game. Just giving one NTR ending at the end wouldn't really make it enjoyable for NTR fans.

For incest, MC don't have to fuck his relatives for the game to get the incest tag. If it is established that the relative is an LI the game will get incest tag. There still should be some romantic/sexual elements though.

Many games ain't tagged as vaginal sex and it gets added only after there's a sex scene. Every game will have vaginal sex for sure but mods still wait for a vaginal sex scene to add that tag.

In short, tag is there to show us what's currently in the game. If I want to play a game which has vaginal sex I'll search for the games which is tagged with 'vaginal sex'

You can always add things in planned tags and Harem is added there so people can always look at planned tags and stick around for Harem. You should add a disclaimer in OP that there won't be a Harem route but you'll add a Harem ending.

• Thinking Face

Danv

Aug 21, 2020

come on man, now you make me feel responsible for wasting your time writing such long post

it was never directed your way anyway, but more of the "local fanbase" so to speak, who usually does this additional tagging, without bothering to read this site tag definition or just out some fanatical devotion
on side note - i long stopped reporting incorrect tags or mistakes in the OPs, seeing how mods themself don't give a shit about their own rules, you can see bright example of it in "latest updates" not too far from your own game, being mod+gamedev is sure convenient combination...

about harem ending - IMO it doesn't justify having harem tag, considering whole rest of the game, "actual gameplay" so to speak, is completely separate solo LIs paths, whatever happens after credits doesn't really matter at this point - there is no harem content during the game

about future tagging - sure current system doesn't fully support planned content in terms of searching, but there is still option to put future/planned tags in the OP, and usually it work just fine, if game barely have tags - you can click it and check what is planned, if you searching for something specific - well there are no such things here anyway, "yet" or period - doesn't matter
we, as players, already have to deal with ambiguity of amateur AVNs development - there are no guaranties, no responsibility, if game will ever be finished, what changes dev suddenly decide to make (completely changing reason people was interesting in a first place), will it turns into another milk factory, yet another remake or just get abandoned... if you add to this ability to decorate header with all tags in existence - to help search, attract people or just because dev thinks he can implement it - it just becomes too much... again, it's not directed your way, i definitely not accuse you of anything, and sure - i also don't touch whole "this is pirate site" and "you get it for free, stop complaining" clusterfuck, thats whole another discussion

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes