VN Ren'Py Completed How To Date A Magical Girl [v1.0] [Cafe Shiba]

2.30 star(s) 3 Votes

DC123

Jul 24, 2017
Plays a visual novel for 30 minutes, says they can take a "slow burn" story, claims Doki Doki had you "interacting hard". Clearly hasn't played any serious visual novels.

"I barely hit 30% for each girl after all that time I put in". Yes the whole 30 minutes... Must have been a killer. I don't even care that much about this game, I just saw your comments while browsing the thread and had to call you out as someone who "plays a lot of visual novels" :ROFLMAO:
Well yes. I do play a lot of visual novels. Like Grisaia, which in 3 minutes makes me so interested I can spend over 20 hours on it. Like Majikoi which is ridiculous but fun. Like Liar-Soft games, which has this mysterious atmosphere in the dialogue and story that makes you feel like you are inside a fairy-tale. Like Type-Moon games because I love Fate. And boy, Liar-Soft and Type-Moon are both slow burns, but they still at least leave little tidbits for you to follow and don't make you have to do monotonous things.

Also when you see the level of interaction in this game, you will understand what I mean with interacting hard. It's on the level of comparison. In Doki Doki, you get to know the characters very quickly, you learn about their personalities and backstories fast, like Natsuki's shitty father and her diet, Yuri's knives, Sayori's depression. In this VN, I know next to nothing about the characters other than their templates because I LITERALLY DON'T GET TO INTERACT WITH THEM.

If a game cannot make you feel invested, there is probably something wrong with how it is implemented. This game can't decide whether it wants to be a dating-sim or a mystery. I'm not saying that the genres can't be mixed, but the fact that it sticks out means that their method is terrible. Making a person monotonously grind stats in a mystery game is just boring. Making a person not able to interact with their love interests until after you grind a whole bunch is even more boring. Two meaningful conversations per character after a lot of clicking. That is downright painful, and makes you lose your investment in the characters. Finally, I want to mention that slow burn is different from boring.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Oh Jesus, you people are so boring with all of this "then it's full of viruses, trojan, gne gne gne!". What do you think us uploaders do when upload these? Just upload without testing it? I could've caught so many trojan, viruses and so on with all of the games I've downloaded from gamestorrent, instead I didn't.

But I mean, I don't gain anything from this so do as you wish for all I care.

Maskmaker

Jan 31, 2018
Ok I beat it all the way to full

I declare this the worst ending of any VN, it drags hilariously long and kinda pretends itself to be well written up to very end where it explodes in your face harder than anything i've ever seen

The game gives the illusion of choice, but there is no choice either really. It's completely fucked.

And yet, this trainwreck is so bad I enjoyed it because nobody has been so brash as to try these terrible tropes

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
I have another option for dating a magical girl. You just wingardium leviosa the shit out of her and she falls for you.

Uhuuuuwingardiumleviosaaaaaa.... (anyone know what I'm talking about?)

Yuugen

Dec 29, 2018
I saw Doki Doki shit and I was ready to take that risk but after I see the "No Sexual Content", nope I am out.

Trollolol

Apr 6, 2018
No sexual content AND a chance to leave me mentally scarred...? I think I may have to take a pass. Damn these seemingly cute games on the outside that are actually evil incarnate.

pewpewsmurf

May 9, 2018
DokiDoki is actually really good. It's not just about gore but that game truly transend normal games with all the 4th wall breaking attempts

MilesKiyaAnny

Jan 18, 2019
Wait WAIT WAIT

This game contains scenes that may frighten or disturb some people.
(some doki doki level shit here, seriously. But the most horrific thing of all, is the gamestorrent pop-up if you delete their files. Can't do nothing about it)

What does this mean someone explain please. I don't care spoil but Doki Doki suprise level I HATE THAT
(I know what is torrent but what kind of pop up)

En

May 7, 2017
I`ve played and beat it. I liked it for the most part, the ending was expected and you can figure out any "twist" a mile before it happens but it has a Persona 4 kind of charm with fucked up shit happening around you. Also I did the Kaori ending then went back to a previous save and did the Satomi ending but have yet to do the other girls.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Wait WAIT WAIT

(some doki doki level shit here, seriously. But the most horrific thing of all, is the gamestorrent pop-up if you delete their files. Can't do nothing about it)

What does this mean someone explain please. I don't care spoil but Doki Doki suprise level I HATE THAT
(I know what is torrent but what kind of pop up)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
I can't say anything about the game, since it doesn't really look like something that I would enjoy, but this is Ren'Py so getting rid of the "extras" is actually rather simple. You don't even have to decompile and rebuild the game in most cases.
The easiest way that works in this case is:
  1. Delete everything but the "game" folder in your game's folder
  2. Find out what Ren'Py version is used (7.1.1 in this case)
  3. Go to , find your version and download the editor for Windows
  4. Extract the folders "lib", "renpy", "renpy.app", and files "renpy.exe", "renpy.py", "renpy.sh" to your game's folder
This would not work if the game used changed Ren'Py, but in this case it is OK.

Reactions: Cumknuckles

YukiAizawa

Sep 17, 2017
So people keep saying this is like Doki Doki Literature club. But wouldn't it be more like Madoka instead. What with if something sinister is going on?

EDIT: Nevermind, I totally get were people say it's like Doki Doki. And I hate it. I love the characters but I hate the execution of the game. But at the same time I love it. Ugh, I have mixed feelings

im3d

Feb 12, 2019
I love the art style. Nothing wrong with doing a "No Sexual Content" game. But yes this is the wrong place for that sort of stuff.

H mmmmmmmm

Aug 1, 2018
You lost me at sexual content, but then you grabbed my attention at horror shit.
I am disgusted yet curious.

H mmmmmmmm

Aug 1, 2018

wait what do you mean delete the files? what happens? anything bad?

2.30 star(s) 3 Votes