Tutorial How to Install Content to Daz w/ w/o Install Manager

Heinz Becker

Jun 4, 2017
it has the right name of the winrar to place in the download folder
Maybe that is the problem. If it is really a RAR file it will not work. Look if there is a ZIP file with same name within the rar or simply repack it if all needed manifest, supplement... files are within

Aemilia

Jul 21, 2017
Maybe that is the problem. If it is really a RAR file it will not work. Look if there is a ZIP file with same name within the rar or simply repack it if all needed manifest, supplement... files are within
I just tried that. still doesn't come up sadly in the list, I found another source of the same file, just incase this one was corrupted, same issue there. Tried getting other bits and pieces from both sources, they work fine. its solely this package that isn't working for some odd reason.

Here is a mega for it if someone wants to give it a try themselves.

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
Here is a mega for it if someone wants to give it a try themselves.
I don't intend to use this asset, but I've downloaded the file you posted, I extracted the RAR file and reassembled it into a ZIP file (renamed with the same name, of course) and DIM recognizes it without problems, as you can see below.
dim.jpg

Reactions: Aemilia

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Basically you should know the artists quite often make folders from their names and put the models inside (should not be so but nevertheless it is). So manual install works ok but the model does not appear as the Aya but as Ellink or something like this - look for folder starting with Elsomething and you will find inside all Aya stuff (still the icon named Aya can be seen when you click on Genesis 8 female => Characters and this is an indication the character is somewhere. And this is called smugness :)
And yes - the auto-installer does not work with RARs.

Edit: Someone may think I am not correct when I call this "smugness" but you are supposed to buy the model, to install it and to click on it and use it. This is the actual "raison d'être " of Daz system. Using a new product should be easy and dumbproof.

Last edited:

Aemilia

Jul 21, 2017
I don't intend to use this asset, but I've downloaded the file you posted, I extracted the RAR file and reassembled it into a ZIP file (renamed with the same name, of course) and DIM recognizes it without problems, as you can see below.
View attachment 179959
Thanks for this, I decided to try it again and it failed. so instead of using the windows original zipping I got a hold of winzip as well, tried it with that instead and it works. I didn't realize that the normal windows 10 zip didn't work the same way. You're a saint for that Dan, thank you :D

Reactions: DanMachiFan

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I changed a lot my mydaz3dlibrary folder, is there any way to check which is the real one?
Does the DS loads the needed assets correctly? If so right-click on some icon and choose Brose to file location.
Or else remember you have to tell DS where to look for the assets winch is made from F2 -> Content -> Content directory Manager - this helps if you installed assets to different content folders so you can add all of them. Also it should be possible to copy and paste the *content* of all the folders into one folder with merging the folders when asked. But there is a possibility something to go wrong so the previous way is kinda safer.

Jun 14, 2018
Yea, I found it, just I have 300GB assets and will keep them in a current way even if it is a huge mess, I can't see a better way to do it. Everything in one folder will be even bigger, at least now I know most of the animals will be in folder Animals.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Yea, I found it, just I have 300GB assets and will keep them in a current way even if it is a huge mess, I can't see a better way to do it. Everything in one folder will be even bigger, at least now I know most of the animals will be in folder Animals.
The problem with the assets is not only the big number of installed assets, but also the different artists use different conventions where to search for their installed content and how to apply them. Without the Products sometimes I will have to search 10 minutes to find something I am sure it is installed:-(

Jun 14, 2018
I haven't rendered a single file yet, just downloading everything from here and I have to download 5 more months of uploads and it is already a mess.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I haven't rendered a single file yet, just downloading everything from here and I have to download 5 more months of uploads and it is already a mess.
Don't install it all at once. You will never ever use 95% of the installed content if you install everything you downloaded. Make a general folder - something like Daz Assets or such, make subfolders and put the thing you downloaded there, just know you have such stuff if you need it later. Then start to make something. In few months you will have much better grasp how Daz works and you will have better understanding what you need to install and where it is installed, as well you will have several own folders with your own presets. Daz call "presets" everything which a ready to apply with 1 click, and you can save your own "Presets" From File-> Save as-> Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Assets for everything which is *mesh* related or File -> Save as -> and there comes everything else under the top choice "Scene". Obviously if you save as "Scene" you will save everything which is in the scene at this moment, but you don't need to do it if you don't need everything - you can save only part of the scene (Scene subset), only a pose for certain character (Pose Preset) etc. Not only this you also can save pose presets only for a part of the body which very useful (but read in Daz forum how to do it).
Hope this will help a little.
But do start making something.

Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the info, but I think it is a bit late :D 300gb are too much. It took me 8h to install everything because not all assets are im0**** etc. I plan to start with my character because last time when I tried it was ... meh, nothing even close to the one that I want. Also is Genesis 3 or 8 better for the main character?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Thanks for the info, but I think it is a bit late :D 300gb are too much. It took me 8h to install everything because not all assets are im0**** etc. I plan to start with my character because last time when I tried it was ... meh, nothing even close to the one that I want. Also is Genesis 3 or 8 better for the main character?
There are pros and cons for both. If you plan to make a MILF then the only option is G8 (G3 are only hags).

dave619

Nov 3, 2018
any one help im trying to intal the bandy hair in to the instal manager but its not showing up what am i doing rong

dave619

Nov 3, 2018
how do you find the id for a product on the daz website i looked n cant find it please help

dave619

Nov 3, 2018
Your zip file isn't named correctly and is ignored by IM. Try renaming it to:

IM00022205-01_BradyHairforGenisis3Females.zip

It always helps to look for the correct name: Brady vs. Bandy
ty i did that now do i work of line or on line for it too work

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
BTW - lately I started to install the content manually only. Not only the install is faster but also the last version of DIM often gives PostgreSQL error to me and this error may be annoying as a simple restart doesn't help. I asked on daz forum about this error and a guy there advised to wait few minutes after you install content with DIM this way PostgreSQL should not appear.
The drawback is you cannot use DIM to uninstall but if your DS content panes become overcluttered because of this you can only simply delete the folders which you don't need (this will delete all the subforders too). this will not remove the entire product although but deleting the folder with the name of the artist and the textures folder with his name will remove the annoying stuff. Still be careful if the artists has more the 1 product under his name deleting the "named" folder will delete all his products.