Tutorial How to Install Content to Daz w/ w/o Install Manager

Heinz Becker

Jun 4, 2017
A few vendors don't supply a genital MAT for their characters
My experience is different. A few vendors DO supply a genital mat, most of them don't. Many eye colors, make ups, nails, tatoos, but no genital maps. Can be very frustrating to see so many beautiful characters who remain incomplete.

Notty-Man-74

May 26, 2018
I followed the instructions for non-DIM installation to the letter and this is all I ever get when trying to load the content. None of the IM000-xxx install files have failed so far as I know, except for one of the hair packages that come with the Lilith 7 bundle. But nothing I try when doing a manual copy of the file folders into 'My DAZ 3D Library' works. So how does this get resolved? I'm at a loss to understand any of this. I know I followed the instructions to the letter.

Passion3D

Modder
Nov 10, 2017
I followed the instructions for non-DIM installation to the letter and this is all I ever get when trying to load the content. None of the IM000-xxx install files have failed so far as I know, except for one of the hair packages that come with the Lilith 7 bundle. But nothing I try when doing a manual copy of the file folders into 'My DAZ 3D Library' works. So how does this get resolved? I'm at a loss to understand any of this. I know I followed the instructions to the letter.
If you want, send me package and i make a correct DIM package for you ;)

Reactions: Notty-Man-74

Notty-Man-74

May 26, 2018
If you want, send me package and i make a correct DIM package for you ;)
Thanks, but it's a bit of a job since there were more than one packages that are like this. I can link to the threads:

(Seems it's just the male centaur bundle that has no IM000-xxx files)

Passion3D

Modder
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks, but it's a bit of a job since there were more than one packages that are like this. I can link to the threads:

(Seems it's just the male centaur bundle that has no IM000-xxx files)
Ok I'll look it up. At the latest you will have them tomorrow ;)

Reactions: Notty-Man-74

PeronX

Apr 28, 2017
What's the deal with the Content Package Assist application ( )? What's it really offering me?

I've got this running and attempted to package and install the Naughty Couch files. The result was:
1. The packaging looked like it was created properly
2. The install through DIM was dead easy and the package shows as installed. I can also where trace the files are installed (and see them in file explorer)
3. I then can't find the content in Smart Content (I can accept I was hoping for too much there) nor in the Content Library (which works correctly when I just drop downloads in there)

What's this thing seeking to offer me? At the moment, I can see how it supports easy installs/uninstalls, but it doesn't offer metadata and seems to have screwed the ContentLibrary detection (though I'll concede I find that thing a disaster at the best of times).

Are there extra steps I should follow? Is there any way of capturing metadata to support things appearing in Smart Content?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I'm at a loss to understand any of this. I know I followed the instructions to the letter.
Are you sure you are looking at the correct Daz tab? some of the content goes to Smart Content tab, some of the same type content of content goes to Content Library type, another type of content goes to Surfaces tab, morphs and expressions sometimes go to Shapes tab, sometimes go to Parameters tab and quite often depends on the selected item can be seen on both tabs; and some old content can often be found under Poser Format category.

Notty-Man-74

May 26, 2018
Are you sure you are looking at the correct Daz tab? some of the content goes to Smart Content tab, some of the same type content of content goes to Content Library type, another type of content goes to Surfaces tab, morphs and expressions sometimes go to Shapes tab, sometimes go to Parameters tab and quite often depends on the selected item can be seen on both tabs; and some old content can often be found under Poser Format category.
I honestly couldn't tell you. All I know is that when I followed the instructions, all I got was the errors as described and presented in the screen caps. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to trying to install stuff manually.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I honestly couldn't tell you. All I know is that when I followed the instructions, all I got was the errors as described and presented in the screen caps. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to trying to install stuff manually.
Basically - a rule of thumb: When you install content manually it goes to different folders. In the most of the cases those folders already exists - so when you copy the new content folder you will have to confirm the merging - data folder to data folder, people folder to people folder etc. If you get those messages then the content is installed correctly. BUT sometimes some content manufacturers may use folders with different names - for example "Documentation" and "Documentations". In the case of documentation folder you can simply copy the new documents to the old folder (you will not see them anyway inside Daz program), but sometimes there are real new folders - for example some kind of "Presets" - in this case you need to find suitable place for such folder manually - where it is comfortable to you. AND - the templates go in special folder too. You don't need those templates right away (and you may never need them) and they do not appear inside Daz, so just copy and organize them where it is comfortable to use; you may organize them by categories - clothing, hair etc, by artists, by generations etc.
And keep in mind:
1. Even if you extracted the content in the correct folders they still may be hard to find inside Daz. That's why it may be a smart strategy to install the content as you need it, not to rush to install everything you downloaded.
2. If you extract the content directly from an archive to Daz content folder and the option to overwrite is checked, you will not be asked to merge the folders.
3. Also at the very bottom of the most left column of "Content library" you will find all the installed content in alphabetical order once, and the you will find it under it in "Categories" order. But this will become a mess once you install much content so don't count on it.

Notty-Man-74

May 26, 2018
Basically - a rule of thumb: When you install content manually it goes to different folders. In the most of the cases those folders already exists - so when you copy the new content folder you will have to confirm the merging - data folder to data folder, people folder to people folder etc. If you get those messages then the content is installed correctly. BUT sometimes some content manufacturers may use folders with different names - for example "Documentation" and "Documentations". In the case of documentation folder you can simply copy the new documents to the old folder (you will not see them anyway inside Daz program), but sometimes there are real new folders - for example some kind of "Presets" - in this case you need to find suitable place for such folder manually - where it is comfortable to you. AND - the templates go in special folder too. You don't need those templates right away (and you may never need them) and they do not appear inside Daz, so just copy and organize them where it is comfortable to use; you may organize them by categories - clothing, hair etc, by artists, by generations etc.
And keep in mind:
1. Even if you extracted the content in the correct folders they still may be hard to find inside Daz. That's why it may be a smart strategy to install the content as you need it, not to rush to install everything you downloaded.
2. If you extract the content directly from an archive to Daz content folder and the option to overwrite is checked, you will not be asked to merge the folders.
3. Also at the very bottom of the most left column of "Content library" you will find all the installed content in alphabetical order once, and the you will find it under it in "Categories" order. But this will become a mess once you install much content so don't count on it.
Everything was named properly. I checked before moving the folders. There's no reason I can tell as to why the manual installation didn't work, unless it's just some quirk of the present version of Daz.

Speaking of which, I tried installing updates of 3feetwolf's New Gens for Victoria 7, and now it seems to be broken. I keep getting an error message saying that the UV maps need to be updated, but wouldn't those have been updated when I merged the folders and replaced the relevant files?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Speaking of which, I tried installing updates of 3feetwolf's New Gens for Victoria 7, and now it seems to be broken. I keep getting an error message saying that the UV maps need to be updated, but wouldn't those have been updated when I merged the folders and replaced the relevant files?
From what I read on rendererotica forum 3feetwold have some family problems and is not active for several months already. Still you can make an account there and ask in his forum - there are many people which use its content and can answer you. I, myself, decided to use Meipe stuff as those updates of 3feetwolf are rather counter-intuitive.

dimo84

Oct 9, 2017
I downloaded all 45 pages of content but after I installed all with IM... I am stuck with rest of them, what is the fastest way to install them, those are 500+ .rars and I don't want to click them 1 by 1...

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
1. I started with making the same content - downloading and installing zillions of items I was overwhelmed by the quantity of the installed content and it took me more time to delete some of them then to manually install them, especially keeping in mind the artists are free to choose where and how their content should appear inside the program. So I understood the best way is to install only what really need at the moment.
2. There is a script which makes auto-install files from content. someone here on the forum was telling he is using it, so the script is supposed to be OK. Still keeping in mind the content comes from different sources and some of it is very old, the script may not work as intended with every item.
3. Make an archive folder and copy there the install archives of the most important content. With big quantity of installed content it is always possible to "lose" something - to delete it inadvertently or even simply to not be able to find it inside the program.

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
I downloaded all 45 pages of content but after I installed all with IM... I am stuck with rest of them, what is the fastest way to install them, those are 500+ .rars and I don't want to click them 1 by 1...
I would also add that many of the downloads aren't setup the same way. Some are setup from like a My Library/Stuff etc structure. Some are the proper DIM structure. And then there are variations of everything in between. So it's not really so simple just to have a script that installs them all from the RARs and let it rip, because you'll end up with shit all over the place and much of it likely broken. I'm pretty anal about how I like things set up, so I go through each one and if it's not already setup like the DIMs you would get from DAZ or whatever, I use the content assist package. While yes it's a pain, everything works and I know where it is. When I first started messing with DAZ I didn't understand this and was running into issues and had to spend time cleaning everything up. It's worth the hassle to check things as you need them and make sure they are consistent and if not, take the time to make the folders and repackage them so that they are.

Reactions: Trojaner
Jun 29, 2018
I'm not an expert with Daz Studio but I've learned a few things (the hard way) that some others new to Daz may be able to use to help find their content. As others have said it takes a little time to get used to how Daz stores data in the Library. I also pretty much only use the "Content Library" in Daz and not "Smart Content".

Daz uses a system of nested folders for locating content. As an example, character models are in the "People" folder. Inside "People" you will see other folders for the different model types such as "Genesis 3 Female" or "Genesis 8 Male".

Inside each of these will be more folders for assets such as "hair" or "poses" related to that model type.

In the main Library folder the "Environments" folder has models for buildings or locations. The "Vehicles" folder has cars and motorcycles...

Unfortunately not all creators put their content in a very orderly fashion but most do follow a general rule. When first starting it's a good idea to open the zip file of the addons and look what folders are being used so you get familiar with them.

I like to keep the original zip files even after installing them. If I ever have trouble finding where something was installed to I can open the zip file and check the folder path it used and then find it in my library that way.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
im having trouble installing Dicktator For G8M, the installer cant find it
Dicktator is for manual installations only.
Also there are 2 versions for Dicktator, maybe this is the cause of your problem. The older one says in the read me "Product name: Dicktator for Genesis 8 Male", and the updated one says "Dicktator for Genesis 8 Male 0.3"