I suck very much at Patreon. Please help this clueless dev to do it better!

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
I'd never even heard of Subscribestar until this week lol. I'll start using that too!
Substar can be less convenient than shitreon but it also lets you have pretty much any content you want in your game.
Hence, substar is the place where the more hardcore content creators go to because patreon and/or steam won't accept them.

But personally i think it's a good idea to have substar setup even if your game is vanilla, i think it makes for a pretty good backup just in case you ever need it. It's always good to have backups, after all. :whistle::coffee:

Apple_Tart_Games

Game Developer
Jan 16, 2021
Substar can be less convenient than shitreon but it also lets you have pretty much any content you want in your game.
Hence, substar is the place where the more hardcore content creators go to because patreon and/or steam won't accept them.

But personally i think it's a good idea to have substar setup even if your game is vanilla, i think it makes for a pretty good backup just in case you ever need it. It's always good to have backups, after all. :whistle::coffee:
Yeh, def sounds like a good backup plan.

My stuff isn't super hardcore or anything (anal mostly), but still good to have options.

turkler

Apr 18, 2019
I don't mean to sound harsh, but why not just focus on making games at this point? Your only release is essentially a 2 hour demo.
but I don't really know what people want me to give them, other than the finished games of course.
Yeah of course, you've made 1 game and even that isn't particularly long. People have decided to support you purely out of the kindness and an eye for potentional. That doesn't mean you have to go all in on extensive monetization, you can just make a game like almost every other developer.

Apple_Tart_Games

Game Developer
Jan 16, 2021
I don't mean to sound harsh, but why not just focus on making games at this point? Your only release is essentially a 2 hour demo.

Yeah of course, you've made 1 game and even that isn't particularly long. People have decided to support you purely out of the kindness and an eye for potentional. That doesn't mean you have to go all in on extensive monetization, you can just make a game like almost every other developer.
Nah, that's not harsh, and you're right. I do just need to keep pumping out content. With my second game like a day away from being out, I really wanted to just get some tips on how to actually go about structuring Patreon and everything the right way, as I was sure I was doing it poorly lol.