VN Ren'Py In Her Service [v0.58] [Blue Factory Games]

3.80 star(s) 13 Votes

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
V0.59a released fixing above error.

edit: For the trouble and pain caused until public release of v0.59 here is the gif from said update

ezgif-3-1bb2c74f3e.gif

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: giorgyo777

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
You can just take the rpy file from the version that's available here and edit it, then upload the rpy file with the instruction for users to put it in their game/events/ folder as a patch.
I noticed that .rpys are compiled and not readable as plaintext. Doesn't it mean that they won't be compatible between versions ? I don't want to make additional issues without ability to properly QA it. Moreover android version is complied into single file too and users usually don't have ability to get into app files.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
I noticed that .rpys are compiled and not readable as plaintext. Doesn't it mean that they won't be compatible between versions ? I don't want to make additional issues without ability to properly QA it. Moreover android version is complied into single file too and users usually don't have ability to get into app files.
.rpy should be plaintext, .rpyc are the compiled versions - on startup, renpy will recompile all .rpy files that have changed to .rpyc (this is basically how one mods renpy games the "simple" way - extract/decompile the .rpy files if necessary, then change what you want in there and distribute the .rpy files).
Editing the .rpy to change the variable name shouldn't cause issues (there might be issues if you for example completely delete an entire passage and a player loads a save from within that passage, or if you drastically restructure stuff) - at least in my experience as someone that's been futzing with rpy files for fun a while.

It wouldn't work with Android, yeah - there's almost certainly a way to patch the android apk (or rather create a new apk with the patched file using the old files), but I've never messed around with renpy android so no idea idea how.

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
Wow I just discovered this game today and I gotta say... its fucking awesome! Great animations and great chemisty with the characters. And I also like that the female characters look actually like real people they dont have perfect everything which is great and a breath of fresh air. Im really looking forward to the next up date and hopefully there will be some swinging in it.
Thank you very much for feedback !
Another swinging event should be in next 2 updates (either next one or one after).

I s Sylvia cheating on Jack yet? Or should I wait?
As of Early Access v0.59 ? Yes.
Current public release v0.58 still only alludes something is going on.
Naturally it all C&C so this depends on choices made.

.rpy should be plaintext, .rpyc are the compiled versions - on startup, renpy will recompile all .rpy files that have changed to .rpyc (this is basically how one mods renpy games the "simple" way - extract/decompile the .rpy files if necessary, then change what you want in there and distribute the .rpy files).
Editing the .rpy to change the variable name shouldn't cause issues (there might be issues if you for example completely delete an entire passage and a player loads a save from within that passage, or if you drastically restructure stuff) - at least in my experience as someone that's been futzing with rpy files for fun a while.

It wouldn't work with Android, yeah - there's almost certainly a way to patch the android apk (or rather create a new apk with the patched file using the old files), but I've never messed around with renpy android so no idea idea how.
Thanks man. Yeah after i run it once it made those rpyc files into normal plaintext ones. Weirdly for some reason when i tested this bug it did not trigger error page despite clearly having incorrect variable. RenPy seems weird as this is pretty clear case.

You seem to be more advanced that i am in RenPy magic. Is there a way to force RenPy to check all condition statements for variables that exist more than once in code ? Or is it something i have to use my RegEx magic to find out ?

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
Thank you very much for feedback !
Another swinging event should be in next 2 updates (either next one or one after).

As of Early Access v0.59 ? Yes.
Current public release v0.58 still only alludes something is going on.
Naturally it all C&C so this depends on choices made.

Thanks man. Yeah after i run it once it made those rpyc files into normal plaintext ones. Weirdly for some reason when i tested this bug it did not trigger error page despite clearly having incorrect variable. RenPy seems weird as this is pretty clear case.

You seem to be more advanced that i am in RenPy magic. Is there a way to force RenPy to check all condition statements for variables that exist more than once in code ? Or is it something i have to use my RegEx magic to find out ?
I was wondering what is that music you use during the h-scenes? I dont know what it is about it but the shit is intoxicating lol.

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
I was wondering what is that music you use during the h-scenes? I dont know what it is about it but the shit is intoxicating lol.
there are 3 different ones.
Talia's, Sylvia's, General.
All three of them are in inherservice/game/music

Note to myself. Add jukebox feature down the line.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017

Glad it was helpful.
Eh, I wouldn't say I'm more advanced - it's more like a different perspective, like someone that tunes hot rods as hobby vs. a car designer: The former isn't more knowledgeable in general (quite the opposite, most likely), it's just because of how they interact with the system they probably learned some details you don't need when you're doing it the proper way.

Don't know of any way of making renpy do that, easiest solution in general would probably be to (ab)use a spellchecker with an extensible dictionary, avoiding variable names that are in the dictionary by default and then adding them to it when you declare them.

Agglutinant

Oct 7, 2017
Really enjoyed the game so far but I must admit, I like Talia so much more than Sylvia that it sucks for me that's playing the game for the NTR content :D (paradoxically I was jealous of Sylvia when Talia kissed her lol)

I usually always stay faithful to the wife when I can for the good NTR content but I couldn't help but create another save just for Talia, so good job. It just a little weird that if you reject Talia's kiss the story still consider that you accepted her kiss (or maybe it's just me that messed up with my saves...).

Still excited for the next update where the fun begins !

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
Really enjoyed the game so far but I must admit, I like Talia so much more than Sylvia that it sucks for me that's playing the game for the NTR content :D (paradoxically I was jealous of Sylvia when Talia kissed her lol)

I usually always stay faithful to the wife when I can for the good NTR content but I couldn't help but create another save just for Talia, so good job. It just a little weird that if you reject Talia's kiss the story still consider that you accepted her kiss (or maybe it's just me that messed up with my saves...).

Still excited for the next update where the fun begins !
Hmmm i see that a lot of people are not really happy with how that scene turns out or i think the reason is that they first do it when they weren't loyal and later they don't read carefully to see the difference. The idea is that Sylvia catches you and mistress talking about that kiss back then and Mistress clearly being into Jack while Sylvia was eavesdropping from the side. While it wasn't anything big from Jack's point of view and he did try to stay loyal to Sylvia it was not really that from Sylvia's point of view as she just caught Jack and Mistress talking about kissing (without further context that Jack didn't respond to it). Moreover Sylvia already warned once Jack that she sees something going on with him.

I will probably have to rework that scene at some point to clearly differentiate it.

As for Mistress and NTR game. Who said Mistress can't be part of NTR :cool: in latest patch 0.59 there is even one scene which is very much NTRish.

Agglutinant

Oct 7, 2017
Hmmm i see that a lot of people are not really happy with how that scene turns out or i think the reason is that they first do it when they weren't loyal and later they don't read carefully to see the difference. The idea is that Sylvia catches you and mistress talking about that kiss back then and Mistress clearly being into Jack while Sylvia was eavesdropping from the side. While it wasn't anything big from Jack's point of view and he did try to stay loyal to Sylvia it was not really that from Sylvia's point of view as she just caught Jack and Mistress talking about kissing (without further context that Jack didn't respond to it). Moreover Sylvia already warned once Jack that she sees something going on with him.

I will probably have to rework that scene at some point to clearly differentiate it.

As for Mistress and NTR game. Who said Mistress can't be part of NTR :cool: in latest patch 0.59 there is even one scene which is very much NTRish.
Yeah, imo it's just weird that Jack doesn't try to explain the situation and say that it's the mistress that kissed him. Then Sylvia can just not believe him, it's consistant with her foot massage reaction.

And yeah, I just saw the sneak peak that you post earlier, that's quite... interesting :love:

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
Yeah, imo it's just weird that Jack doesn't try to explain the situation and say that it's the mistress that kissed him. Then Sylvia can just not believe him, it's consistant with her foot massage reaction.

And yeah, I just saw the sneak peak that you post earlier, that's quite... interesting :love:
Actually there is whole scene where Jack tries to explain himself. It has even a bit different looking CG. You are not the first one that gives this feedback. While i'm not wrong in what i did, it does mean that the way i did it is wrong. I should probably rework those scenes to have completely different looking CG maybe change a place where this happens to signal users this is a different scene than they saw previously on their other playthrough. Because when player replays game sees similar situation he might skip dialogue and assume it was exact same scene.

It's one of those issues with vertical branching. Vertical branching gives you ability to move faster compared to horizontal branching but the cost is that you need to watch out for making important scenes too similar to each other otherwise player will assume this is same exact scene and skip important dialogue.

Either way thanks for the feedback. Like i said i saw few people giving this same feedback which means this is actually good criticism i have to take into account. IDK where i will make changes though. The plan for the game is to get to 0.9ish and spend some time on polishing up game before 1.0 release alongside endings and i think that "polishing phase" is good time to make such changes.

Reactions: Bonerhat

Agglutinant

Oct 7, 2017
Actually there is whole scene where Jack tries to explain himself. It has even a bit different looking CG. You are not the first one that gives this feedback. While i'm not wrong in what i did, it does mean that the way i did it is wrong. I should probably rework those scenes to have completely different looking CG maybe change a place where this happens to signal users this is a different scene than they saw previously on their other playthrough. Because when player replays game sees similar situation he might skip dialogue and assume it was exact same scene.

It's one of those issues with vertical branching. Vertical branching gives you ability to move faster compared to horizontal branching but the cost is that you need to watch out for making important scenes too similar to each other otherwise player will assume this is same exact scene and skip important dialogue.

Either way thanks for the feedback. Like i said i saw few people giving this same feedback which means this is actually good criticism i have to take into account. IDK where i will make changes though. The plan for the game is to get to 0.9ish and spend some time on polishing up game before 1.0 release alongside endings and i think that "polishing phase" is good time to make such changes.
I see. I was surprised because until now it was well writen so it would have sucked that the plot suddenly took the easy "Revenge NTR" option.

I really like that you're not locked in any route, but looks like a pain to manage :LOL:
As a player I think it's ok as long as you don't skip unseen text(y)

Great idea to keep it for a polishing phase.

Anyway, just grabbed a sub on SubscribeStar, let's see this update :sneaky:

Last edited:

perkel666

Game Developer
Jun 25, 2019
I see. I was surprised because until now it was well writen so it would have sucked that the plot suddenly took the easy "Revenge NTR" option.

I really like that you're not locked in any route, but looks like a pain to manage :LOL:

Great idea to keep it for a polishing phase.

Anyway, just grabbed a sub on SubscribeStar, let's see this update :sneaky:
Thank you very much for the sub ! :)

Vertical vs Horizontal is pretty neat debate.

Vertical:
+ ease of creation
+ you are not locked with 2321234322 different branches
+ easier to add alternative scenes
+ more manageable as project grows
+ still gives you ability to add ton of scenes
+ gives you ability to insert branches later on
- harder to wrap your head around the choices and consequences since you don't create separate branches for outcomes. So you have to keep track of it separately via tool ( i use 'twine') and manage dialogue/text branching inside of scenes.
- due to reuse of some scenes there might be issues on replay where users might assume it is the same scene and skip important dialogue.

Horizontal:
+ super easy to manage at start
+ very easy to understand choice and consequences as you branch out
- branching quickly bogs down progress
- hard to add new branches without affecting other branches
- the closer the project to completion the longer each update takes time

I won't follow the vertical design completely as i have 2-3 story bits that will require branching (and endings are all branching) but overall i follow the vertical design closely.

3.80 star(s) 13 Votes