VN Ren'Py J-Files: The Penny Conspiracy (Development Thread)

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
The thing i like about you is that you create the whole game at one go and yet it looks so complete. Eagerly waiting for this one
penny conspiracy will sort of be that way. but going forward, i'll work with the concept of plugin expansions.

for example, if i was doing shag the hag again, i'd get the game to a point where Yelena comes to the player and invites him to her mine. at that point, i'd have finished the game and then done yelena as a plug-in expansion a few months later. i feel it would have given me more focus on each character to give them a bigger "complete" story. i think i could have gone a little further with yelena, morrigan (especially), and daphne (to a degree - hers was fairly long).

where a lot of games these days do "chapter" updates which have a small story update (like a soap opera), i want to be more like an episodic series (think the mandalorian), where each expansion is a full story in its own right.

Nov 11, 2018
penny conspiracy will sort of be that way. but going forward, i'll work with the concept of plugin expansions.

for example, if i was doing shag the hag again, i'd get the game to a point where Yelena comes to the player and invites him to her mine. at that point, i'd have finished the game and then done yelena as a plug-in expansion a few months later. i feel it would have given me more focus on each character to give them a bigger "complete" story. i think i could have gone a little further with yelena, morrigan (especially), and daphne (to a degree - hers was fairly long).

where a lot of games these days do "chapter" updates which have a small story update (like a soap opera), i want to be more like an episodic series (think the mandalorian), where each expansion is a full story in its own right.
Love your vision man. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll certainly be among one of the top earning devs. However, I hope you put a bit more focus on the story than grind. Don't get me wrong, I loved Shag The Hag, but there was also quite a bit of grind. It was an excellent game and I didn't find the grind boring, but maybe it could've been even better with a little bit more story and less grind. I hope we get to see more story in your upcoming games. Anyway, that's my opinion and it's not necessary that you agree. Good luck :)

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Love your vision man. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll certainly be among one of the top earning devs. However, I hope you put a bit more focus on the story than grind. Don't get me wrong, I loved Shag The Hag, but there was also quite a bit of grind. It was an excellent game and I didn't find the grind boring, but maybe it could've been even better with a little bit more story and less grind. I hope we get to see more story in your upcoming games. Anyway, that's my opinion and it's not necessary that you agree. Good luck :)
I agree on the grind. To be honest, that was a mistake born of thinking everyone liked the gaming mechanics because I'd played it in other games. I was a bit worried people wouldn't really want a full story (maybe they'd think it was too book-ish).

In the end, I decided with Penny that there'd pretty much be only narrative and pathway options instead of anything repetitive at all.

Shag the Hag 2 may have a slight mix, but nothing like Shag the Hag was. I have some different ideas on how to further use the random options I was using in Shag the Hag.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
(probably) Final Update:
I now have around 10 images to render and the game is pretty much complete. I'll be rolling this out to my patrons in about a week or two, and then a few weeks after that the game will be released public.

If you've been following this thread, I hope you're looking forward to it.

If you followed this thread and became a Patron after that, you're amazing and thank you so much.

If you checked out this thread in hope of Shag the Hag 2 news, I can confirm the sequel is already in character and plot design phase. That means I've started a new Ren'Py project and have started test renders of the characters.

In the meantime, take care and I hope you and your families are safe and healthy through this apocalyptic time.

Regards,
Jack

Kondorito

Feb 10, 2020
Wow... I just stumbled upon this topic through the Shag the Hag 2 related games. This is a hidden gem; looks amazing.
I love your writing and your art style L8ERALgames, so I am very excited for this one.

illunadin

May 18, 2019
Just wanted to stop by and say that I'm so very sad that the Penny Conspiracy ended where it did. I absolutely loved it.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help beyond subscribing to your Patreon and patreon-like site.

Kondorito

Feb 10, 2020
Just wanted to stop by and say that I'm so very sad that the Penny Conspiracy ended where it did. I absolutely loved it.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help beyond subscribing to your Patreon and patreon-like site.
Sad in the sense that you did not want it to end? Or something happened in terms of future development that Im not aware of?
I havent played it yet; will try to start today

illunadin

May 18, 2019
Sad as in I didn't want it to end. It's an amazingly wonderful game, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I.

I'm notorious amongst my friends and family for not starting things that don't have a complete end to the overarching tale. Things like Game of Thrones and several anime have put me at odds.

I travel a great deal and can't be as up to date so I just wait until everything is done.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Sad as in I didn't want it to end. It's an amazingly wonderful game, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I.

I'm notorious amongst my friends and family for not starting things that don't have a complete end to the overarching tale. Things like Game of Thrones and several anime have put me at odds.

I travel a great deal and can't be as up to date so I just wait until everything is done.
I agree with waiting for things to be done for the most part, so I tried to keep the story pretty much self-contained (but with a cliffhanger, of course). The next expansion will be similar in having a complete story, too.

I don't want to be too slow on adding it, but I'm trying to work on STH2 at the moment and that's a rather... large bowl of soup. I'm still in set-design phase for that one. Once all the characters/sets are designed, however, it should ramp up in dev. I'm hoping, though, for only 3-4 months on this. But given the size of it and scope of it, that may slip a month or so. I'm trying to figure some ways to cut that down, but most of it will be spent on rendering.

Penny Conspiracy Part 2 will come after that, and I'd expect a 2-3 month max time in doing that part as the "engine" is pretty much done.

Reactions: Kondorito

Kondorito

Feb 10, 2020
:D Thanks!

i admit to worrying a lot that people want stuff faster...
I know its a feeling hard to avoid, but people will always want everything faster AND better, and once delivered will find flaws to point out even when there aren't any. So users will never be satisfied (at least the majority), and because of this is that you need to release stuff when it feels right, and if that takes double the time, then so be it.