Mod QSP Jack-o-Nine-Tails Developer Versions and Mods

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
:( sound not working for me on linux - and every single other qsp player (including standard fastqsp) can't handle the format used here

(edit: built and... the menus dont work :( )
still think it's extremely odd that sound works on ivanowich's version but not this one...
so it turns out its because the f95 version needs wmf for whatever reason... kinda big pain
solved by building from
kinda cringe but i guess it works. if anyone wants a janky version that works on linux feel free to @ me or something

note: weirdly enough, save files are twice as big as windows version (and incompatible)
(after looking at the savefiles... it seems to be using utf-32 or something. quite odd.)
The Linux build I provided has sound, just make sure to enable it in game *and* in menu, then navigate to a new 'screen' and it should immediately take effect. The only QSP player capable of handling the custom API backend used by this version of JONT is the F95 one(s), or from the gitgud JONT. Save files are usually bigger because of the method of serializing info for the objects on Linux, probably double-encoded by accident but this is relating to the Qsp player's base src author(s), nothing done here. If you aren't using a case-insensitive filesystem you'll find a lot of hell happening, the version I pushed has a home-made path bruter for that with cached dictionary lookups and *limits increaser to handle the stupid Qt backend issues (run from shell to see). Also has path escaping. The backend wasn't thought out ahead of development, given the time period the original Qsp came out. Also fixes a lot of sound issues. Saves are not currently interchangeable with the Windows builds, might double-check why (if it is a case of double-serialization, I can probably fix that sometime). I'd need someone to create a save on Windows at, say, the start screen, then I'd do the same for Linux and compare.

Dec 20, 2016
Ragnarok20 I couldn't figure out how to reset your Pointers for my game. I can find an address and value for "Spark", by simply by adjusting money using either a loan from the slums or spending some money on training. With that address, I don't know how to tie to your pointers so that all of the rest are either offset correctly or I tried playing around with Pointer Maps, but I understood those even less. What method do you use when you open up a new game to reset these Pointers?
Ragnarok20 Hey I figured out how to make my own pointers while watching waaaaayy too many YouTube videos. Thanks for the reference table and design though so I can structure my pointers better. I don't know if there is an easier way to do these in mass, but I found a solution to play with.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Ragnarok20 Hey I figured out how to make my own pointers while watching waaaaayy too many YouTube videos. Thanks for the reference table and design though so I can structure my pointers better. I don't know if there is an easier way to do these in mass, but I found a solution to play with.
Qsp changes will eventually shift those. It's far better to use AOB scans in something like this. Btw if using Cheat Engine, the installer uses InstallCore, 99% of the time installs junkware with it. Use non-install version of it.

Reactions: freddycrougar10

30eruxa

Mar 14, 2018
Not sure if it is intended or not but the blindfold_4 and public_use_6 pic from the media patch file replaces the two file in the media base file. I manually changed them to blindfold_3 (which wasn't used for some reason?) and public_use_9 and was wondering if it would cause any issues

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Not sure if it is intended or not but the blindfold_4 and public_use_6 pic from the media patch file replaces the two file in the media base file. I manually changed them to blindfold_3 (which wasn't used for some reason?) and public_use_9 and was wondering if it would cause any issues
Obvious explanation: they always were "patch" content since before our involvement in the game. When I had to create a "default" edition because the mods here required it, I had to replace all the L. content, including these pictures, that get replaced back by the patch.

You shouldn't encounter issue with your manipulation, but I'd be surprised if the paths in the scenes folder aren't hardcoded, therefore you won't be able to see them in game.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
It won't cause problems. I see a blindfold_3 in the regular media which is the same as blindfold_4 in the patch media. Seems like an accidental duplicate in patch is overwriting blindfold_4 from the regular media, which is different. It means you miss out on one possible image variant. The public_use_6 from patch is also unnecessarily overriding and could be renamed _9 as you did.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
I've updated media-base-ia and media-patch-ia to reflect the above corrections for blindfold and public_use sets, and also sort out a few other minor issues in media-base (underscores instead of tildes for two composite images, and correcting the border coloring for some of the icons for the real estate office)

Reactions: qwertyu12359

redwood

Jun 10, 2017
So I figured that manually rewriting each line of QSP to javascript would be too much of a time waste.

So I wrote a simple parser for the QSP grammar and automatically convert QSP to javascript.
This converter is even invoked when pressing <a href="exec:"> links in the browser.

There is still some support missing for some builtin QSP functions, such as arrsize.
There also seem to be room for some performance optimizations, as it is a little slow right now.

But I am starting to feel like porting jack to the browser in an automatic fashion is possible.

I think that this will be the last post on this here, as I should probably make my own thread for future updates, so as to not hijack this thread.
View attachment js.webm

Reactions: stuffed

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I suggested moving to browser-based a while back, cross-platform and eliminates a lot of issues regarding media (webp/webm), not to mention hiDPI support, easy save migration (serializer/deserializer with save "upgrade" paths specific to each version detected in save file). Just have no time. :/

Jan 18, 2018
i probably could, but it's probably better if someone familiar with the codebase could point out any potential issues with the current codebase that could be fixed with a rewrite

ggango

Aug 29, 2018
alright i got week of freetime before my next project now i finally get around to playing this
first question how good the tutorial what should i be careof and how good is the trait s system are they traits or am i asking two many question

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
alright i got week of freetime before my next project now i finally get around to playing this
first question how good the tutorial what should i be careof and how good is the trait s system are they traits or am i asking two many question
Didn't see these questions

- The tutorial is good. Working as intended, with most up to date advice (more so than the wiki).
- "What should you be careof"? I don't understand this question.
- "how good is the trait system"? You mean how important is it? Relatively important.

wait so this game originally didn't have a non L version? interesting
Yeah, its f95 mods and admins that forced us to split the game in two... But it actually turned out for the best as there's been a purge of the original version's link.

dmmt

May 8, 2020
seems like about twice/yr, I get into a masochistic mood and try this game. It kicks my ass...every time, period. Once...one time in maybe 100 tries, I have completed the tutorial and been admitted into the slavers guild.

It's like the Souls series...just so damn brutal, you keep smashing your head against the wall in an effort to chip away at the damn thing.