qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Could you make it so that new slaves have Weight Stable instead of Nutritionist as the default
Nutritionist are stupidly expensive and can be crippling... Having to remember to change every single slave down is a little annoying too. Most slaves, even S+ slaves in the mid/late game are just fine with Weight Stable.
Yeah, good idea. I've brought this to Powerairmax who handles the code.

how do I get this 1.8 version? o_O
You can't ask that in F95 until we release a version that is within F95's rule. If I'm allowed to give a clue, just let me tell you that you should find the answer easily if you search on Google and try to find what seems to be the most official and complete source of information for Jack-o'-Nine-Tails.

r136a1

Sep 29, 2019
We've tested something curious though, it's that having the game on an SSD didn't speed up the save time... And that's on 1.7.5.
Why does jack-o-nine-tails use json in the first place? If using an SSD doesn't help then it can only mean that every time you save the engine somehow decides to read every single json file and its contents even if the qsp program itself isn't calling for any of them. F95 has qsp games and none of them that I know of save for jack-o-nine-tails use json.

One more thing. Is it possible to tag images based on type of scene, hair color, hair length and age? Then save all this data in the qsp file itself. Every time an image for a slave is required the program notes the slave's hair color, hair length and age plus the required type of scene then retrieves a match from its database. If there are a couple of matching images then it randomly picks one. This way every time you have a new image you want to add into the game you don't have to manually copy-and-paste the image reference in the corresponding json files which may number in the hundreds for each image. Plus this may get rid of json usage entirely which is starting to put a natural limit on how many slaves the game can tolerably have.

But the above suggestion sounds too ambitious so how about a minor suggestion instead: Can the developers nerf the Vatican Champion? My S+ gladiatrices are getting OHKOs. Is she supposed to get stronger over time? My earlier A+ gladiatrices beat her with little issue. Now she's overpowered against the S+ girls.

Reactions: JBS_JBS

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Why does jack-o-nine-tails use json in the first place? If using an SSD doesn't help then it can only mean that every time you save the engine somehow decides to read every single json file and its contents even if the qsp program itself isn't calling for any of them. F95 has qsp games and none of them that I know of save for jack-o-nine-tails use json.

One more thing. Is it possible to tag images based on type of scene, hair color, hair length and age? Then save all this data in the qsp file itself. Every time an image for a slave is required the program notes the slave's hair color, hair length and age plus the required type of scene then retrieves a match from its database. If there are a couple of matching images then it randomly picks one. This way every time you have a new image you want to add into the game you don't have to manually copy-and-paste the image reference in the corresponding json files which may number in the hundreds for each image. Plus this may get rid of json usage entirely which is starting to put a natural limit on how many slaves the game can tolerably have.

But the above suggestion sounds too ambitious so how about a minor suggestion instead: Can the developers nerf the Vatican Champion? My S+ gladiatrices are getting OHKOs. Is she supposed to get stronger over time? My earlier A+ gladiatrices beat her with little issue. Now she's overpowered against the S+ girls.
About the ambition suggestion, here is Powerairmax's answer: "it can be experimented with, but i can't guarantee a solution, the json files weren't really an alteration of how the game handles the images, it was kind of a way to make it easier to add and remove slaves, cause before, all that data in the json files was just cramped into the jack.qsp itself ".

Interesting feedback about the s+ champion. We'll see (probably not for the beta, of course).

Reactions: AinzTilly

r136a1

Sep 29, 2019
About the ambition suggestion, here is Powerairmax's answer: "it can be experimented with, but i can't guarantee a solution, the json files weren't really an alteration of how the game handles the images, it was kind of a way to make it easier to add and remove slaves, cause before, all that data in the json files was just cramped into the jack.qsp itself ".
Were there long saving issues when the image files were still in the jack.qsp? If no, then reverting back to that from using json files may solve your current issues unless it is already tolerable with 1800 vs 3000.

As to adding and removing slaves, that applies if this were like Slavemaker where each slave has images specific to her. But in all the versions of jack-o-nine-tails out there less than half a dozen images are specific to a particular slave. The rest are simply matched to a slave's hair color, hair length and age. So it is possible as an experiment to plug image references in the jack.qsp, tag those in terms of hair color, hair length, age and type of scene then match them with a slave, randomly if there are several images matching a slave's criteria. With tags you no longer need to manually enumerate all possible images for every single one of the thousands of slaves in a json file.

But I digress. This is merely a suggestion for a possible solution to the saving time issues you are having. I just find it strange that, based on your info about SSDs, the engine appears to be reading all the json files and their contents every time you save.

Interesting feedback about the s+ champion. We'll see (probably not for the beta, of course).
Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Powerairmax

Sep 30, 2018
Were there long saving issues when the image files were still in the jack.qsp? If no, then reverting back to that from using json files may solve your current issues unless it is already tolerable with 1800 vs 3000.

As to adding and removing slaves, that applies if this were like Slavemaker where each slave has images specific to her. But in all the versions of jack-o-nine-tails out there less than half a dozen images are specific to a particular slave. The rest are simply matched to a slave's hair color, hair length and age. So it is possible as an experiment to plug image references in the jack.qsp, tag those in terms of hair color, hair length, age and type of scene then match them with a slave, randomly if there are several images matching a slave's criteria. With tags you no longer need to manually enumerate all possible images for every single one of the thousands of slaves in a json file.

But I digress. This is merely a suggestion for a possible solution to the saving time issues you are having. I just find it strange that, based on your info about SSDs, the engine appears to be reading all the json files and their contents every time you save.

hello r136a1

first of all i want to set numbers of the slaves straight cause i've seen the number keeps changing over the past posts, the original number of slaves 2409 that resulted in 50seconds each time you save, we tuned it down to 1604 which lowered the time from 50 to 25seconds

about the actual saving time, it doesn't matter if the slaves code lines are written in json files or the jack.qsp file, the result is very close while favoring the json format for simplicity and actually chipping off few seconds from the saving time the longer your play session is, cause at the end of the day, 2 things are certain when comes to JoNT

1: the save file will include the same data no matter if it's inside the jack.qsp or outside it, but having it outside the jack.qsp means the engine can't change anything about it so data increase wont come from the json side of things
2:the number of slaves and the saving time are one cause for another, meaning the more slaves you add the longer the game will save and vise-versa

as for your suggestion about using a tag system, like i said before it can be experimented with (it is not a current top priority though, we got much on our hands as we speak), and i also said i can't guarantee a solution (reason being that the jack.qsp and the qsp engine that JoNT is executed from is heavily modded in ways im not experienced in so it will be a big challenge figuring out how beaver14 added the json files to the game and how do i take them out without royaly fucking up something

point is, all the json files does is make it easier for you to add new girls, now if you mess something in a json file, it means that file wont be read correctly
now do that same mistake in the jack.qsp and you get a white screen of death or a hidden bug prowling about that's gonna screw your long playthrough and even worse when you have to come the qsp file later on for what might've cause such a problem, now if other side of the coin is a tag based algorithm that works neatly than the ugly way the game been doing and cuts the save time, then im all for it, it's just not something im willing to put resources into at the moment, i want to clear my to-do list first then i can write a new one, this old list almost got no space for me to write on

Smartbadger

Aug 6, 2018
hello r136a1

first of all i want to set numbers of the slaves straight cause i've seen the number keeps changing over the past posts, the original number of slaves 2409 that resulted in 50seconds each time you save, we tuned it down to 1604 which lowered the time from 50 to 25seconds

about the actual saving time, it doesn't matter if the slaves code lines are written in json files or the jack.qsp file, the result is very close while favoring the json format for simplicity and actually chipping off few seconds from the saving time the longer your play session is, cause at the end of the day, 2 things are certain when comes to JoNT

1: the save file will include the same data no matter if it's inside the jack.qsp or outside it, but having it outside the jack.qsp means the engine can't change anything about it so data increase wont come from the json side of things
2:the number of slaves and the saving time are one cause for another, meaning the more slaves you add the longer the game will save and vise-versa

I have to admit I have zero experience of the engine used for JoNT - but, as a programmer, I find something very curious about the whole 'more slaves = longer saves' thing. I'm sure it is simply an artifact of the engine in some way - but, if it is not, and is simply an artifact of the way the game is written, then this should be fixable.

If adding more slaves/JSON files causes saves to take longer, then the engine is clearly parsing all of those files when saving; but why? Is the save larger with more JSON files? If so, then the save contains all possible slaves, which it should have no need to do - if not, then the save likely does not contain the slaves, so why is it parsing those files?

It seems to me that adding more JSONs to read in should affect *load* times, when putting those files in to memory on game start or when generating a new slave (which ever of the two the game does). So the game should take longer to load in, or should pause when going to the slave auction or such - but should not take longer *at save*, because there is no reason why it has to handle all of the possible slave data in order to save out your current character status, and current slaves.

Please, correct me if I'm missing something obvious here - I haven't even had my morning coffee yet, so I might be talking mince - but it seems like there is something really odd (and unnecessary) going on at save time.

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
I was trying to quote the guy who said that he would mention the nutritionist thing to the programmer to say thank you!
The reason for this is a really complicated one...
The game has an elemental damage system programmed into it, but the Vatican Champion is the ONLY thing in the GAME that uses the Elemental Damage system

Most Heavy Armors reduce your elemental resistance, meaning you will take more Elemental Damage.

Finally there is a glitch that causes Armors' Damage reduction to become permanent, then stack with itself... this can happen infinitely...

Which means that if you have been using Gothic Plate for a while... by the time you fight the Vatican Champion, your girl might be taking an additional +100 Elemental Damage... aka OHKO

How do you beat Vatican Champion? Train your girl with Leather Armor that reduces all damage (Physical and Elemental)... it's less Physical Reduction than the Gothic Plate tho, so you may want to take the first few stages a little slower so that they don't accidentally die too early.

Edit - Since we are making mentions of things that can be potentially improved in Jack...
Let me preface this by saying I've played this game plenty, I've made plenty of S chicks and such...
When you let a girl Express herself (Sing, Dance, etc) she gains Empathy and Temperament... but she gains literally 1 of each. Could we get this bumped up to 2 or maybe make it based on how skilled she was at expressing herself.

I understand that core stats are meant to go up extremely slowly but I also have things to do other than spending 40 days to get her core stat increased...

Same applies to Ambrosia, Walking outside, Gardens/Hot Springs
They all only increase it by 1... I just paid $25, which is a fair amount in game... I expect it to go up by more than 1...

Similar could be said about increasing her Pride. I know that if she wins the championship she gets a fair amount of Pride, but it doesn't seem like she gains any Pride for winning in Spars. Even if its just a practice match, I think even I get a little proud of myself for winning.

Last edited:

ryouG

Jun 10, 2019

Can ya get rid of json and use algo? I ain't no programmer. Coder who found them armor glitches says yes. Says the jack.qsp in them sample video ain't using no json. (But he/she ain't giving me them jack.qsp). Shows how to get rid of json for cooking scenes by giving whole bunch of codes. Dunno if they work. Says by getting rid of json, you can use gif, jpg, png, etc all at once n get rid of some of them bloating stuff.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I ain't brave enough to try them codes. They probably gonna royally fuck up yer game.

edit - ignore them :p
more edits - forgot them algo and bunch of stuff
still more edits - For milfs add 3000 to json number, young 5000 and Jeff Epstein young 1000.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: JBS_JBS and r136a1

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
Some dudes want Jack harder, some want easier so devs gonna get confused. Why dontcha mod ur own game to however ya want? Here's how ya do it.
Your fixes are pretty great, and very clear
Thank you, I went ahead and modded my game.

As far as Harder/Easier, isn't there an option for difficulty? Could make the main game more accessible and the Difficult game more difficult.

I'm personally in a weird middle...
I would love the game to be HARDER... but more ACCESSIBLE.
I love starting games on Nerd because it's the hardest difficulty, and then stopping once my MC is developed because then it just becomes grindy. Which is my point a little. Less grindy, but more difficult. Tho, I'm not sure how they are supposed to accomplish that.

Reactions: JBS_JBS and ryouG

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Hey, any ETA for the beta? Thank for your work (y)
Just a news, that 99% of the background images we've fetched for 2.0 won't be in the beta, given we've got them in 1280x800, which is not a proportion compatible with the old UI.

But there will be the new slaves (although censored), the new musics, the new scenes, the new sex scenes, the new punishments, added things, as well as bug fixes.

As for the progress, Powerairmax is working hard. I don't ask him an update about it everyday, he is a busy man. But I trust him to deliver soon :) (probably this week, that's the plan)

Reactions: ordos

ryouG

Jun 10, 2019
I'm personally in a weird middle...
I would love the game to be HARDER... but more ACCESSIBLE.
I love starting games on Nerd because it's the hardest difficulty, and then stopping once my MC is developed because then it just becomes grindy. Which is my point a little. Less grindy, but more difficult. Tho, I'm not sure how they are supposed to accomplish that.
How bout playing more games like jack so u can figure out ur desired balance between hard and accessible?

Take Sengoku Rance. Mangagamer last week released its proper English translation. F95, god bless em, has it right here. It's hard but it ain't grindy though it has brutal RNG. Easy mode is hard if u ain't using a walkthrough or u ain't using cheats. Lots of sex, ur MC is a lovable asshole, replayable coz of all them routes, very nice images, lots of comedy but also really dark stuff, and great storyline. It ain't got the number of storyline gore that jack has but what few gore it has can make jack look tame. Awesome music too. And it ain't censored unlike most Jap stuff. Mangagamer releases are uncensored. Btw, don't forget to download v1.05 patch coz it has a couple of bugs.

I give ya list of similar games.

U can find most of them thru google. F95 has a couple of them. Why dontcha try some of them so u can give recommendations on how to make jack hard without being grindy?

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
How bout playing more games like jack so u can figure out ur desired balance between hard and accessible?

Take Sengoku Rance. Mangagamer last week released its proper English translation. F95, god bless em, has it right here. It's hard but it ain't grindy though it has brutal RNG. Easy mode is hard if u ain't using a walkthrough or u ain't using cheats. Lots of sex, ur MC is a lovable asshole, replayable coz of all them routes, very nice images, lots of comedy but also really dark stuff, and great storyline. It ain't got the number of storyline gore that jack has but what few gore it has can make jack look tame. Awesome music too. And it ain't censored unlike most Jap stuff. Mangagamer releases are uncensored. Btw, don't forget to download v1.05 patch coz it has a couple of bugs.

I give ya list of similar games.

U can find most of them thru google. F95 has a couple of them. Why dontcha try some of them so u can give recommendations on how to make jack hard without being grindy?
Ah! I've seen that anime. Might be interesting to give it a try.
From playing other survival games, I suppose the game is at its hardest when your margins are still tight.
For example, in most survival games early on when you have no food or barely way to live... but when you play it enough that you end up with stacks and stacks of food and it's easy sailing... Then you kinda lose interest, right?

So it's implying that the player needs to have tighter margins. So selling slaves should make a little less money... but that wouldn't really fully solve it. A player can still cruise on easy mode by selling low quality slaves in mass quantities... So to push a player to make higher and higher tier slaves. We could also reduce how much a slave sells for by the player's Brand Level.

Maybe like a multiplier based on the difference between what the player is selling vs their current Brand Level... Tho this definitely would feel "gamey".

This is slightly unrelated... but I would also massively update Specializations and Residents if I could...
I don't know how to program but I would make 2 sets of Specializations, Basic and Advanced... Basic would mostly similar to what we currently have, while Advance would be stricter. Residents would then be updated to want either Basic with a Bonus if they have a specific secondary Advanced or Advanced with Bonus $ if they have specific secondary Basic. (Edit, eh why not fully mix it up, I'm sure some Residents could want B/B or A/A)

While on the subject of Specializations... I also want to change Pet Ponygirl because it's just nonsensical... Ponygirls don't need to learn how to be a Pet. Ponygirl Specialization should be Ponygirl + Stamina, and Pet should be ... well honestly there isn't a great obvious one for a secondary Pet... Dance? idk

Edit 2 - While I'm ranting... The Auction that comes around every week or so is incredibly disappointing/poorly balanced. You generally get like 1/4 of what the girl's worth. I would buff that a bit or maybe make it even more RNG based? I know this one is a little tricky... but I think Auctions should definitely be the optimal place to go to if a girl has a lot of different Specializations, but at the moment the only time it's worth going to is if you're done with the game.

Last edited:

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
I honestly just got to the point that I was ranting on improvements that it would be cool to see in Jack, not necessarily ones I want to go out of my way to mod into my own game.

If I modded my game to the point in which I overhauled the specialization system, the buyer/seller system, and etc at that point I think I should release my game as a full on mod lol. Which would be a terrible time to do so at the moment if they are working on modding it on here. It would be pointless if I were to release a mod that wasn't compatible with their mod.

Maybe if after this group finishes with their updates, I might take a shot at doing some overalls.

Ah! I remember Strive for Power! It had an AMAZING sex system, easily a top 5 game that I would heavily recommend to people... but if I remember correctly... The best way to make money in that game was to have your Slaves work. I think after a while I turned the game into a Breeding Simulator to get girls with tons of positive traits...

I have played Dark Souls and the PS4 one, Blood Born? w/e... They are solid games, but I prefer a more relaxed experience. I have much more fun playing Crusader Kings 2 or Endless Space 2.

... This post is a mess... Apologies for the disorganization.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
BETA RELEASE
Hey guys, we finally have something to offer you: the 2.0 beta :cool: We're so happy to finally be able to give you something to play. That is 6 months of hard, pure amateur work :HideThePain:. But done with care and passion.

Here is the download link; it is f95 edition, and there is literally no-loli content inside: (mirrors: - - - )
(note!! there seems to be a bug that only allows one image to be loaded for each scene... always the generic one, instead of the pictures meant to match the hair color of the slave. And another one that makes Isabella glitch. We'll investigate that)

And here is a link to a webpage. This 3rd party webpage only links to a patch, in order to include back loli content:

Here's the (not even exhaustive) changelog:

Much love to you all. <3

Last edited:

Smartbadger

Aug 6, 2018
BETA RELEASE
Hey guys, we finally have something to offer you: the 2.0 beta :cool: We're so happy to finally be able to give you something to play. That is 6 months of hard, pure amateur work :HideThePain:. But done with care and passion.

Here is the download link; it is f95 edition, and there is literally no-loli content inside:
(note!! there seems to be a bug that only allows one image to be loaded for each scene... always the generic one, instead of the pictures meant to match the hair color of the slave. We'll investigate that)

And here is a link to a webpage. This 3rd party webpage only links to a patch, in order to include back loli content:

Much love to you all. <3
Just me that can't get that second link to work? Am I missing something? I wanted to test out as much as possible, but can't test what I can't download :p

I'll have a play about with the main game regardless - thanks for your efforts, guys :)

Fake Count

Jun 4, 2017
So I downloaded this version right above to try this game for the first time, but I quickly ran into an issue. I tried the tutorial, but the slaves are invisible (but still able to be selected) in the prision cell when you first choose the slave to train. That is annoying, but not too much of an issue. However, once I got past that part, I found that I couldn't click on the non-existent slave portrait. So unless there is another way to make my slave wake up, the tutorial seems impossible.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Just me that can't get that second link to work? Am I missing something? I wanted to test out as much as possible, but can't test what I can't download :p
Edited the post, now it should work :)
So I downloaded this version right above to try this game for the first time, but I quickly ran into an issue. I tried the tutorial, but the slaves are invisible (but still able to be selected) in the prision cell when you first choose the slave to train. That is annoying, but not too much of an issue. However, once I got past that part, I found that I couldn't click on the non-existent slave portrait. So unless there is another way to make my slave wake up, the tutorial seems impossible.
Yeah! I put it in the release notes, that the Tutorial doesn't work (it was made for an old version of the game). Isabella at the beginning of the game either. Don't worry tho, these are obviously going to be fixed for the full game (which we want full playable).

Reactions: Smartbadger

AinzTilly

Aug 3, 2019
(note!! there seems to be a bug that only allows one image to be loaded for each scene... always the generic one, instead of the pictures meant to match the hair color of the slave. We'll investigate that)
Noticed beta's folder game\content\pic\girls\scenes while in version 1.8 it's game\content\pic\girls\scene.

scenes vs scene

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes