qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Hello. I remember there was a library in the forum (in game) with lore entries of general world state and factions, but currently there is none.

I also remember where was a beginning screen which talked about Eternal Rome and how people get in and out.
Do you mean the Internet Girl in serpis?

Which version was that you remember where the lore is better explained? :unsure: We didn't (purposely) remove anything of the sort.

I also liked the Idea of past versions there your house was at the border of the fog and not in the slums (at least generally speaking) it gave an idea of isolation and threat, but also a mystery and potential, since in my headcannon fog is moving and with it part of slums get consumed and other part revealed, creating a tension and possibilities, and one of this shifts revealed half consumed by the fog house - is the place that (potential) protagonist stumbled upon during coming to the world, and the reason for becoming slave trainer is the diary of previous owner who decided it was the most politically neutral and socially powerful position but required a certain strength and flexibility of character and acceptance of risks for ones independence.
Indeed, I seem to remember we moved it in the slums years ago

I will have to redownload an old version and compare with the current one, where it feels better to me in the end.

The headcanon you is cool, I also think the fog comes in and out of the slums.

Anyways, thanks for your work for keeping the project fresh, the idea of the game is very mature and philosophical showing in believable manner the pitfalls and adaptation of human "psyche" both as a community and as individuals. >:D
Thanks very much! :)

Reactions: ebemise42069

TBell67

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks for the feedback. I'll assume you're playing with a properly installed v2.2.6.2.

Anyway, I hope I changed your mind with this post: we make these updates as a hommage to the original version, and we think the playerbase is to be listened carefully, at least as much as the dev team's intuition and reason. (y)
Well, firstly, thank you for taking the post seriously. It was admittedly a fairly late-night frustration post and I put very little preparation into it. It was largely off-the-cuff and unresearched and probably not super helpful to you. I'll try to expand a little bit where requested.

Firstly, this was absolutely in a custom game with a custom slaver, so the skills decay may be a bug. As I said, I'm coming back in from a long hiatus so I didn't know that was a super recent change until I saw the dev notes.

My prior experience with the game was fairly extensive, starting with an outcasts beginning and completing all forum quests for items and eventually moving into white town and training highest-tier slaves. I never did quite finish the patrician content, which is part of the reason I thought it might be fun to dip back in and finish the game. I mention this to illustrate that I have at least a basic functional understanding of the mechanics.

On further study, I suspect the slaver skills decay is probably at the root of most of my complaints. Both my slave and assistant failing to perform lessons/tasks that they've previously been well trained in can be easily explained by the fact that my charisma or likewise fell from S/A to C/D. I didn't realize my stats had been decaying, or in fact, that they could, so by the time I noticed that could well have been the root cause of the differences. That said, I personally find energy management and optimizing training by deadlines to be the most satisfying part of the game. I personally think that while making a physically weak character need to keep up constant training to be a realistic chore for roleplay purposes, the actual reality of having to regularly annihilate a nameless gladiatrix is not a particularly fun task. It's generally more fun to see numbers go up or turn green, and much less to do the same thing over and over to keep a green number from turning red. There's a reason a lot of games will gate that kind of thing behind a 'hardcore' mode or somesuch in order to let someone opt into the extra management.

I think a tangential point to my post is regarding the experience of a new player coming into the game or a returning player whose familiarity is not what it was. I'm not sure I'm the person to champion the ignorant newbie, though I'll gladly admit to not understanding the systems intimately. My success with the game was largely a result of trial and error and trying to make sense of the tutorial. I 'found something that worked' and kept with it until I made it, which I found fairly rewarding. I'm not sure I ever got to the level of understanding of some of the people here who can say things in the vein of "with two thorns of rebellion and a temperament of C+, your best course of action would be..." I feel like there's maybe not enough room currently for new players to succeed with sub-optimal play. In particular, I feel that managing a slave's mood and despair is a very finely tuned system that can easily snowball into disaster for new players. It's very easy to get into a cycle where you order the slave to do something, she refuses, so you punish her, she gets depressed and even less likely to agree, etc.

The hardest part of learning slave management is knowing what to do first with a slave who doesn't want to work with you. It sets up for an inverse learning curve where the difficulty is all front-loaded and gets easier as the slave gets more skilled. The tutorial is quite well written and does explain all of the elements of the aura, but it tends toward warning you about despair and spoiling and other more advanced secondary mechanics rather than telling you how to make a slave obey. I suspect most new players are actually coming here and looking for other people's day-by-day guides to see what to actually do.

To snip a section from the excellent write-up by Krustus:
1. We can go sparring in the Arena with Tatiana and Johny. Building her Nature/Temperament and starting our own Fighting Training.
2. We can start going hard on Tatiana, letting her do lessons she won't do and build Guilt this way. She is compliant enough that physical punishment should be effective without her fighting back. Helping us build her Taming, Fear and Awareness.
3. We play nice, take her to the Spa, build her Mood up and Train her. Building up her Merit, Mood and Awareness.

Every one of those Options is viable and has different Pros and Cons.
I suspect those paragraphs have done an awful lot of heavy lifting as far as teaching new players the game.

In a sandbox game like this, I don't think having objective tick-boxes or excessive handholding is the way to go, but having an in-game source of advice could be invaluable. A new NPC at the guild perhaps that could take a look at your slave and give general, actionable advice for instance. "She won't agree to do anything until you teach her some taming and awareness. Go ahead and let her refuse, then show her the lash." or "eh, might want to go easy on this one. Looks a bit sensitive. Maybe try buttering her up and asking her to do something easy like cooking." This could also be offered by an assistant giving similar suggestions, provided the player has one. A newbie contract could give you a guild-provided assistant to help you and suggest what to do for training, with the caveat that the assistant/guild would take a significant cut of the profit. That would let new players have an option to learn the mechanics and game world before diving in with no training wheels. Even leaving the game as it is and simply adding a little more direction/feedback to the practical examination in the tutorial could serve this purpose.

The game already does an excellent job of keeping you on track once the slave is obedient by the listed objectives when clicking on the rank. It's very easy to have a C- slave and click on the C- to see "Raise this slave's sexual skills." Maybe simply adding a note for disobedient slaves there could work without lots of implementation work. I think it could just be a hair more explicit about what you SHOULD do in addition to what you shouldn't.

I really think this game is excellent, and that the ongoing development has been worthwhile. There aren't really any other management games quote like JoNT out there, and I respect all the hard work that's gone into it. I wasn't being very fair or constructive last night, and I apologize for that. Thank you for taking it seriously.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
It was russian branch v1.7.7.4 by Mars & Jinn (2019-02-15).
Cool, thanks for saying! I'd add that kind of informations to the internet girl in the serpis, or turn her place into a library with salve-internet connection ^^

I checked their latest version and honestly the arts used might be slightly better imho, but there is a lot of unnecessary clients added and HOLY cringe they added a slav-russian district with modern flag.
I gave a check to the "real life" version of the slavic branch, it looks pretty cool!

1712949786360.png The model on the right, against the wall, lives in my head rent-free ^^

oh and sounds, the home-terriblemood soundtrack is cancer (I guess its to make you relate hah).
It's of course on purpose. If you are hearing this music, you're doing something wrong.

Too many players (including myself) were fine simply having an unhappy slaver. They would read the diary, think: "oh he's just whining, what a baby", and completely dissociate themselves. Not only should videogames be immersive, but also it's the perfect incentive to make the player realize that it does matter (it affects how good your character does everything, including training).

And also it's funny. Moreover, good composition! With adequate orchestration (i.e. just piano) compared to the other home songs. :)

Reactions: ebemise42069

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
this was absolutely in a custom game with a custom slaver
Could you upload a copy of your saved game? It’s important to know which game version, and the “obedience difficulty” under the settings menu also has a big impact.

Strength decays nightly if meal quality is lower than strength. We added this so there is a reason not to just eat canned food forever and save hundreds of sparks.

Personality decays nightly if standard of living and home decor are low relative to brand reputation. We added this so there is more incentive to “move up in the world.”

Strength can be increased through sex. The focus on combat always puzzles me. It’s clearly stated in the game if you click the slaver’s strength how you can increase it. Same for other stats.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

sexiwof

Jun 6, 2017
OK, so I have a question about Isabella (the woman who forced herself into being our assistant).
In the process of her training, she's doing everything with result "Isabella listens to all your comments and bla-bla-bla", but, after that, for some strange reason, she get Guilty [2]. And, as far as I can see, this - getting the guilt - does not changing despite all my actions, so Isabella grows the Despair in herself.
My question: is this intended, or is this a bug? If intended, what am I doing wrong, because I do not remember such problem on previous versions (I'm currently on up-to-date version 2.2.6.2)?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
OK, so I have a question about Isabella (the woman who forced herself into being our assistant).
In the process of her training, she's doing everything with result "Isabella listens to all your comments and bla-bla-bla", but, after that, for some strange reason, she get Guilty [2]. And, as far as I can see, this - getting the guilt - does not changing despite all my actions, so Isabella grows the Despair in herself.
My question: is this intended, or is this a bug? If intended, what am I doing wrong, because I do not remember such problem on previous versions (I'm currently on up-to-date version 2.2.6.2)?
She is loyal, but not very obedient, when you acquire her. She is a strong-willed person and she has convinced herself that being your slave is best. She knows that she is expected to perform well. If she doesn't, she feels guilty. Any devoted slave will feel this way, if their performance on tasks is not impressive enough. You can deal with it using mild punishments if you wish. It might spoil her slightly, but she'll get over it faster because she is devoted. Or, you can improve her mood (ask how she feels, address any problems), and she'll do the best she can for you.

Also, what's this "forced" business? She asks, you can refuse.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
The point I have is what I like to start at 0 to hero difficulty (extreme 200$ all F-) and it generally means permanent despair for MC until he trains up
We added alcohol in slums so it doesn't have to be this way. Take care of the slaver and the slave, and get a loan when you need one. Penny wise pound foolish as they say.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
Loans is ok but again I try to be realistic who would give a loan to a bun from the streats? Ye right. And they cannot even gut you for organs, there is plenty of that. xD Cheers.
Slaver is already a member of prestigious guild of trainers at game start. Moneylender knows the value of slaves. The first loan level only costs 100$. Quite affordable.

Refusing substances is a choice. There’s other ways to raise the slaver’s mood. Buy him better clothes. Go watch the events at the arena if not participating. Visit the brothel. Take the slave to hot springs and other outings.

sexiwof

Jun 6, 2017
Another quick and silly question.
Is there a way to cheat this game? Yes-yes, I know, how immoral of me, but still?
I'm trying to find a way to quickly build Empathy.
I tried to use my .sav file with saveeditonline.com but it's no use - I do not see anything with the Empathy in a name there in a file.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Another quick and silly question.
Is there a way to cheat this game? Yes-yes, I know, how immoral of me, but still?
I'm trying to find a way to quickly build Empathy.
I tried to use my .sav file with saveeditonline.com but it's no use - I do not see anything with the Empathy in a name there in a file.
Yes, but only with Custom Start, in easy difficulty.

Then, in the option, you will see a cheat-menu appear. (y)

Reactions: sexiwof

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
So basically it's not about her guilt, it's about her thinking that she's guilty, and now it's up to me to match this opinion of hers. Got it.
Her guilt is her expectation of punishment. It has nothing to do with whether you (the player) are satisfied with her performance. She knows that she could do better, and she knows that you know it too.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
thus the game begins
Interesting take. So not a slaver but buying and training and selling slaves? Our concept is that the guild has a monopoly on sales. If you own a slave and want to trade to someone else, the guild takes a broker fee. Direct sales are only allowed for members (slavers). As you noted the guild is an essential part of the economy converting raw material into refined products, so they enjoy the support of the district leaders in enforcing their monopoly.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
I mean that someone might give you a hand. Or act as a intermediary in contract fulfillment. Only thing that benefactor from the guild has to do is make the purchase for you to test you as in tutorial.
So you substitute some unnamed guild examiner instead of Angelika in your roleplay narrative.

The tutorial makes clear that until passing the test, operating as a slaver alone is not something the guild allows.

But it’s a single player game, so have fun with your way of telling the story.

ravenqueen

Dec 26, 2019
Why does Isabella, who is an S+ cook, produce C+ meals? If I ever eat a single meal below S+ rank my strength goes down an entire tier.

Voidbreaker76

May 14, 2023
Why does Isabella, who is an S+ cook, produce C+ meals? If I ever eat a single meal below S+ rank my strength goes down an entire tier.
From what I understand it's down to the ingredients you have. You can have the best cook in the world but they aren't going be able to do much if all they have to work with are vegetables and greasy meat. To make a S rank dish you need higher quality and priced ingredients and while if you stay on lower tier meals for a longer period of time you will eventually go down it won't simply be eating a single meal and your fucked.

Speaking of mechanics questions, got one of my own. Recently I trained a D+ rank slave who has medical at B and and magic at A+ and according to the wiki the witch doctor specialization requires Nurse and Enchanter which should also be at B rank judging from the standards that are used for Gladiatrix but for some reason when I try to sell her to someone who is asking for a D+ rank Witch Doctor it says I have to lie to get him to accept her since her stats aren't up to standard. Are Nurse and Enchanter refering to something else than those skills or is there another stat that is required that isn't listed on the wiki?

ravenqueen

Dec 26, 2019
From what I understand it's down to the ingredients you have. You can have the best cook in the world but they aren't going be able to do much if all they have to work with are vegetables and greasy meat. To make a S rank dish you need higher quality and priced ingredients and while if you stay on lower tier meals for a longer period of time you will eventually go down it won't simply be eating a single meal and your fucked.

Speaking of mechanics questions, got one of my own. Recently I trained a D+ rank slave who has medical at B and and magic at A+ and according to the wiki the witch doctor specialization requires Nurse and Enchanter which should also be at B rank judging from the standards that are used for Gladiatrix but for some reason when I try to sell her to someone who is asking for a D+ rank Witch Doctor it says I have to lie to get him to accept her since her stats aren't up to standard. Are Nurse and Enchanter refering to something else than those skills or is there another stat that is required that isn't listed on the wiki?
Thanks, I'll check my inventory. You need Alchemist and Witchcraft both at B+ to qualify for Enchanter.

Voidbreaker76

May 14, 2023
Thanks, I'll check my inventory. You need Alchemist and Witchcraft both at B+ to qualify for Enchanter.
Well, that would have been good to know before I started invested into this slave. Although now that i'm looking at the wiki more closely, while it says that alchamy is required the only skill that has nurse on it is the actual nurse skill and if we assume that alchemist applies to enchanter than it really doesn't make sense for witchcraft to be the other skill required for it. Are you sure it's the witchcraft skill?

Regardless, this leaves me asking what to do now. I could try and hang onto her to try and raise the ranking to C somehow although the fact that she is a rank D in beauty is going make that problematic unless I want to sink in another 250 into her for surgery and a 20 day recovery or keep throwing her into the arena and hope that raising her reputation can make up for that, although I am a bit concerned how long that will take and how much more investment I would need to sink into her to make her loyal enough to make that work.

The other option is simply eat the loss by selling her to the sub-purchaser although it is only 170 in losses at the moment so that isn't too bad or I could lie and sell her to minor resident and make about 200 although i'm not quiet sure what the consequences of that are beyond just taking a hit regarding the brand status.

Any suggestions would be helpful since i'm going sit on this for at least the night before trying to salvage this.

That being said, this would bring up the one criticism of the game in that it doesn't include information that probably should be in the game. If I didn't have access to the wiki I would have no idea what the requirements for the specialization would be and this kind of thing is vital when your starting out on guild contracts, selling to minor resident, or if this has any effect on branded auctions at the guild.

sexiwof

Jun 6, 2017
So, I playtested it for 365 (in-game) days, and I can say everything looks OK.
Except the problem with the Strength, which was already mentioned in a thread.
The Strength got a real problem, it degrades unnaturally, ridiculously fast.
In summary, I got the following test: cheat myself Herculean strength, got the best bed (in best apartment), got my assistant to give me the S+ dishes. Then I went to Colosseum and got the lessons for 5 days in order to secure the status.
Then, I got myself new slave. All I was doing with her - teaching her cooking, in result she served me with D- dishes, and remaining time I spent developing her physics with some exercises.
And, after only 2 days of this, my strength degraded from Herculean to Strong.
I do believe this is ridiculous and needs to be fixed. Except this - game is fun, so far.

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes