kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
AzureFury:
b) Slower to save?. Only 4 seconds more, because 25% more slaves, as well as 1514 new pictures to load in total.
About that. Is there anything we could do to help? Though it's been improved a lot, the saving time is still indeed much longer than how it was in the HF days. What is causing the longer save times? Is it just because of the increased number of slaves? Or the need to load the slaves' various related pictures (the sex, activities pngs)?

I've noticed that there are quite a lot of "varieties" for the sex scenes and activities. Perhaps we could make it so that it became like what it was in 1.7.5? Like this:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Perhaps this will help save up the saving time?

AzureFury:

i) Modder just cropped full profile pictures and call it a face picture. That's laziness! I'm not responsible for this decision, yet, I understand it. I assure you, cropping 2500 pictures is less lazy than you think. If someone has the Photoshop template used for 1.7.5 face pictures, and is motivated enough to implement the sepia/grey pictures in the (totally redone) json files, I'll thank him very much, because that'd be a nice re-addition.
I am able to dig up a copy of 1.7.3 from one of my older (2-year-old) portable hard drives.
And I've found an "avatar.psd" file in the "face" folder.

It looks like this in jpg format:

I wonder if this was what they used to make the characters' portraits? I know we could photoshop a girl's face onto this as background. For example:

Sephie Michaela.png

and then make it "sepia" via "hue and saturation":

Sephie Michaela (sepia).png

This is the best I could do lol

As for the "gray" version, we could just make it "black-and-white", and voila:

Sephie Michaela (sepia).png

Nonetheless, it still doesn't look as refined as what the previous versions' portraits look.
For example, this:

238.jpg

As you can see... the "sepia" version of the original (the one they considered "better") actually retains the portrait's color while adding a "layer" of bronze-sepia "frame". This is something I don't understand how to do... I wonder if anyone here knows how to do it and, perhaps, teaches us how to do it.

Edit:
Uploaded the "avatar.psd" file. In case you guys need it.
I've cramped it up into a rar file because F95 doesn't want me to upload a psd file.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwertyu12359

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
About that. Is there anything we could do to help? Though it's been improved a lot, the saving time is still indeed much longer than how it was in the HF days. What is causing the longer save times? Is it just because of the increased number of slaves? Or the need to load the slaves' various related pictures (the sex, activities pngs)?

I've noticed that there are quite a lot of "varieties" for the sex scenes and activities. Perhaps we could make it so that it became like what it was in 1.7.5? Like this:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Perhaps this will help save up the saving time?

I am able to dig up a copy of 1.7.3 from one of my older (2-year-old) portable hard drives.
And I've found an "avatar.psd" file in the "face" folder.

It looks like this in jpg format:
View attachment 486175

I wonder if this was what they used to make the characters' portraits? I know we could photoshop a girl's face onto this as background. For example:

View attachment 486176

and then make it "sepia" via "hue and saturation":

View attachment 486177

This is the best I could do lol

As for the "gray" version, we could just make it "black-and-white", and voila:

View attachment 486182

Nonetheless, it still doesn't look as refined as what the previous versions' portraits look.
For example, this:

View attachment 486179

As you can see... the "sepia" version of the original (the one they considered "better") actually retains the portrait's color while adding a "layer" of bronze-sepia "frame". This is something I don't understand how to do... I wonder if anyone here knows how to do it and, perhaps, teaches us how to do it.
Saving would take as much time as in 1.7.5 if we removed 150 slaves and removed 1500 sex scenes. But do we want that?

Some people were sad that we got from 2500 slaves to 1600. Some people were sad that we went to 1600 to 550. Although the slaves would still look better and have more balance in the hair colors (~slaves per hair colors now, in 1.7 it was a bit random), we might still want to compromise.

One user from the gitgud repository complained that the game lacked visual variety; some girls had less than 5 pictures for an act. He proposed to add general pictures. Well, I'd propose to remove a lot of general pictures. Because they look generic and prevent us from seeing actual personalized art which is in fewer quantity. Do we need 4 to 5 generic pictures for fisting? Maybe not. But is the saving time long enough to have to remove things from the game yet again? That leaves room for thoughts. In any case, the thing to avoid is to remove variety in sex scenes with hair colors (if there are 3 hj_blond_young, let's leave it that way forever).

Congrats for finding the art framing. I admit already that would look better than what we have actually. That looks good I think. Is it ideal or should it be improved upon? Let's see what other users think. :)

Reactions: kyoto_leon

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
One user from the gitgud repository complained that the game lacked visual variety; some girls had less than 5 pictures for an act. He proposed to add general pictures.
Well, to me... I don't mind the lack of visual variety as long as the game offers a lot of gameplay - which is something the game offers by tons already. If they want visual variety, I would want more "unique slaves" like Felicity instead of more visual variety in the generic slaves (i.e the unique slaves have their own unique visuals in sex scenes and etc).

However, I understand that this is difficult - for one, I still, to this day, couldn't find the other artworks of "Felicity" online. Without more artworks of the said "unique slave", we'd have to compromise to using other replacement arts for her to differentiate her from the other "generic slaves". If we do that, I'm going to guess the nitpickers will then complain about "lack in consistency" (and yet, we don't see people complain a lot about "consistency" in other qsp games like "Girl Life ETO").

Congrats for finding the art framing. I admit already that would look better than what we have actually. That looks good I think. Is it ideal or should it be improved upon? Let's see what other users think. :)
If everyone thinks it's good enough... I could use my free time to photoshop the faces into the "sepia" and "gray" variety. Though I shudder when thinking of photoshopping all the 2181 faces alone. That's quite a workload. lolz

Reactions: Nikira

AzureFury

Oct 31, 2019
qwertyu12359:

Im not gonna alter my review or my rating. I posted that at that time and at that time thats what I think about your beta. Maybe you can invent a time machine?
Do you alter Amazon or Steam reviews once the seller makes changes due to previous feedback?

What about p44p? Zero messages but 5 star review? So reviewers with zero messages are okay as long as they say your mod is perfect, everything about your mod is perfect, theres no collusion?

What about Vrahel? Not gonna trash him? He did criticize you you know? Is that because of 5 stars? So, okay to trash your mod, as long as 5 stars?

What about Buddawg? Not gonna trash him? Oh wait, thats because he was trashing spectre1viper, not you.

Whats your problem with my review? Cant you read? I was mostly trashing 1.7.5, not your beta. Isnt that what you want? Okay to trash crushboss and all the guys before you. Just dont trash Mr. Hypocrite.

Whats wrong with negative criticism? Your mod is no longer so shitty and will be less shitty thanks to all the feedback from people who are not asskissers. You should thank people like me instead of bitching about it.

Would you rather your mod get trashed in front of your face or behind your back? It may look like you have lots of people kissing your ass. But only two actually believe in you enough to actually tip your Patreon account.

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
qwertyu12359:

It may look like you have lots of people kissing your ass. But only two actually believe in you enough to actually tip your Patreon account.
Although I too don't like asskissers, I feel we need to at least motivate the people who want to continue developing the game. If we could get CrushBoss back as a consultant for the current development it'd be one of the best case scenario I think.

And that aside, I do hope the ones who are trashing him do try to give more technical input on "what to do" or help in fixing what is wrong with the current beta other than trashing. I myself did complain about lack of end-game content but was able to get the point across and, thankfully, everyone began to think about adding more for this element in the game. Thus, in my opinion, they do listen to constructive criticism so long as we don't word so that they will feel that their efforts, however they tried, always end up futile and fruitless.

In any case, please stay and help in the thread. I believe qwertyu needs every help he could get. Like the long saving time. I'm guessing it's the tremendous pictures that need loading that slowed down the saving time. But qwertyu believes that even though we cut down the visual variety the saving time will still not improve. If someone with the technical-know-how knows how to solve this issue comes and aids on it, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Still looking for the damned '?' when brewing... Starting to feel stupid, I have to be missing something. Does anyone know what exactly this " - Sound glitches (crackling) when playing in fullscreen. " in the roadmap means? Is it just the music that crackles, or all sound effects? I'm not sure if I will be able to fix it, but if I have some idea where it's happening, and in what circumstances I've a better shot of finding it.

Apart from those two bugs, v2.1 is ready(based on the roadmap in the OP). Gonna wait a bit to see though if anyone reports any issues with my fixes for the tutorial, since I disabled a 'bugfix' by Crushboss, that seemed to be causing issues.

Reactions: kyoto_leon

Durpledore

Modder
Jun 29, 2018
When making the .qsp files I fucked something up, fixing it now with some other bugfixes described above in this thread. Sorry! You can now also start the quest with any master, at any time, if you are playing on easy difficulty.

EDIT: Downloads updated, also added the last picture (misstress), attached it to this post as well.

qwertyu12359 I can export the game as a text file, and use that to make changes to the .qsp and track them in .git, I will do so for when I make the 2.1 actual version. I can't figure out the potion brewing '?', so going to ignore it for now. The sound glitches when full screen, I've not noticed them myself. Can you explain what exactly happens? Is it just the music that's crackling?

I'm also looking into some $end_day_variable_reset things, since it seems to reset some things it shouldn't (for example, city_random_event).
I exported the qsp and repacked it with these tools

qgen4 Modded to export the file to a txt2gam format.
Made my changes.
Then I used txt2gam to repack the txt to a qsp file.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I exported the qsp and repacked it with these tools

qgen4 Modded to export the file to a txt2gam format.
Made my changes.
Then I used txt2gam to repack the txt to a qsp file.
Yeah that was basically my plan. For my mod, I've been basing it on your .qsp, but for the v2.1 release I will be basing it off the 'vanilla' .qsp files for v2.0.1. I'll try and setup a .git soon, need to think about where to host it, since I don't want to use my normal accounts due to the controversial contents of this game...

Durpledore

Modder
Jun 29, 2018
Yeah that was basically my plan. For my mod, I've been basing it on your .qsp, but for the v2.1 release I will be basing it off the 'vanilla' .qsp files for v2.0.1. I'll try and setup a .git soon, need to think about where to host it, since I don't want to use my normal accounts due to the controversial contents of this game...
It would have been nice if my cheat mod could be included in the main game. There are already cheat codes, so i don't see a problem why the mod cannot be included.

Reactions: Nikira

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
It would have been nice if my cheat mod could be included in the main game. There are already cheat codes, so i don't see a problem why the mod cannot be included.
I like your Cheat Mod. The Cheat Mod is quite a good addition for players who want to cheese the game. More power to the players, aye?

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
qwertyu12359:

Im not gonna alter my review or my rating. At that time thats what I thought about your beta. Maybe you can invent a time machine? Do you alter Amazon or Steam reviews once the seller makes changes due to previous feedback?
If I receive the updated product for free, of course I make changes to my previous feedback. I already did to almost all my reviews in F95. A review is only contingent to the time you test the product; if the product is altered, the review should be altered (you know, common effort between the dev' and the player). Your review is still displaying as the title now is 2.0.1, which alters the average rating and will prevent people from trying; while I think they should, if slave management is what they are looking for.

What about p44p? Zero messages but 5 star review?

What about Vrahel? Not gonna trash him? He did criticize you you know?

What about Buddawg? Not gonna trash him?

I didn't trash you. I addressed your points; I criticized your criticism. And you aren't really addressing my point, you're trying to avoid them all by attacking my personal credibility instead, whilst you should either be agreeing or be giving proper counter arguments.

Whats your problem with my review? I was mostly trashing 1.7.5, not your beta. Isnt that what you want? Okay to trash crushboss and all the guys before you. Just dont trash Mr. Hypocrite.
Why persist on "trashing"? You get a game for free and without any paywall.
Some of your points of criticism are more than fair (look, the combat system. I put it in the roadmap immediately after reading your review). However there's "criticism" (examination) which can pinpoint things that suck, and there's "trashing" which blatantly exaggerate on issues and make fallacious reasoning, as a way to evacuate frustration. You're free to evacuate frustration, but bad reviews are harmful to the motivation (especially when done on a beta...).

Your mod is no longer so shitty
Oww :love: See? You can be so nice when you want...

and will be less shitty thanks to all the feedback from people who are not asskissers. You should thank people like me instead of bitching about it.
You would have had the same result in game if you posted a nice message in the topic saying "thank you! I like this, and that, and this (for exemple merging the 1.7.3 and the 1.7.5 pictures; still waiting for your acknowledgement that this was needed :) ). The game will become less shitty in spite of your two star review, not thanks to it.

It may look like you have lots of people kissing your ass. But only two actually believe in you enough to actually tip your Patreon account.
Why do you care so much about an anon like me (whose name is freaking "Qwertyu" :WutFace: ). Will you stop the personal attacks and focus on the game or the counter arguments I've made? It's like you genuinely want to hurt me personally and it's your main goal, more than having a great game unfold before your eyes.

-----> My final question is, since you said you "mainly trashed 1.7.5". Do you think v1.7.5 deserves 2 stars? If you do, fine, it means you've spoke your mind honestly. (I personally think it's a master piece and would give it 4 to 5 stars).
However, if you think it deserves 3 or 4 stars, do you think a (mostly visual) update of 1.7.5, which fix tiny little things, and adds 0 flaws (based on your review) overhaul deserves 2 stars?
My opinion—and I've made my case for it in the two previous messages addressed to you—is that your bad rating was an exaggeration. If now, emotions aside, you still think 2 stars is a fair reflection of the game quality, then it's fine by me. If you (independently of me as a person or a developer) come to the conclusion that maybe your previous rating doesn't reflect the quality of the overhaul game, again, feel free to change it accordingly to your own standards.

Last edited:

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Personally don't disagree, but it's up to qwertyu12359. If it's going to be added to v2.1 you'd have to add all the code added by your mod to the .git though, or just tell me where it changes files. (I can probably figure it out on my own too, but too lazy to do it). I want to track every change from v2.0.1 to v2.1 using .git so that it's clear what is being changed, and for what reason.

Setting up the .git project page right now, will edit this post when it is done. EDIT: is the .git I made, image groups are being pushed right now, but gonna take a while. Will start adding v2.1 changes to the .git soon.

Last edited:

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
There's a GitGud! But you need an account there just to see the page content. If you want to handle it, tell me, I'll put you as an administrator.

I'm mostly comparing the game experience to Dark Souls. The thrill I got for it was to just get my way through the game while knowing I couldn't cheat. Have you ever played Pokémon? I did, as a kid, on my Gameboy. Have you tried on an emulator? It completely shifts the game, because you know you have savestates available (even if you don't use them).
I think it should be the same for Jack-o-nine. Granted you can already save at will (but since it lasts a long time, I'm less enclined to do so :HideThePain:). Personally, if I saw there was a way to cheat included in the game, I'd find it less spicy to finish it.
I think the cheat mod should be in last resort, and should at least require the effort to come back to the game's thread, download it, install it, configure it. As to feel somewhat rewarding when applying it.

Durpledore

Modder
Jun 29, 2018
There's a GitGud! But you need an account there just to see the page content. If you want to handle it, tell me, I'll put you as an administrator.

I'm mostly comparing the game experience to Dark Souls. The thrill I got for it was to just get my way through the game while knowing I couldn't cheat. Have you ever played Pokémon? I did, as a kid, on my Gameboy. Have you tried on an emulator? It completely shifts the game, because you know you have savestates available (even if you don't use them).
I think it should be the same for Jack-o-nine. Granted you can already save at will (but since it lasts a long time, I'm less enclined to do so :HideThePain:). Personally, if I saw there was a way to cheat included in the game, I'd find it less spicy to finish it.
I think the cheat mod should be in last resort, and should at least require the effort to come back to the game's thread, download it, install it, configure it. As to feel somewhat rewarding when applying it.
The are ways to "cheat" with cheat codes. Maybe we can add the cheat mod but only allow to to be seen when you enter a cheat code at the start of the game. Like the other cheat codes. In this way somebody has to actively search for it and apply it. And you can't use it when you start the game normally. You have to start a custom game to allow cheats.

In this way the original feel of the game remains. With normal start you can't cheat. You still have the dark souls feel.

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
Maybe we can add the cheat mod but only allow to to be seen when you enter a cheat code at the start of the game.
I've been thinking. Maybe we could make it so that players couldn't access it without accomplishing something first? Like completing one of the tasks from the Houses (so you get a Cheat Mode + Sparks), or becoming the Guild Boss (you're the Guild Boss so no one will complain if you cheese wink wink). Or maybe, we make it so that it is only activated when you choose Easy Mode but you're not given the option to obtain some artifacts (Like the Mithril Mail and Dragon Staff).

Edit: Aye, and indeed. Maybe make it so that it's only available in Sandbox Mode or Custom Game Mode. That works too.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
You can't use it when you start the game normally. You have to start a custom game to allow cheats.

In this way the original feel of the game remains. With normal start you can't cheat. You still have the dark souls feel.
Perfect idea!

I'd say "sandbox" instead. Custom can still be used for role play.

With sandbox mode, you'll be able to apply cheat directly. (y)

Qwertyu believes that even though we cut down the visual variety the saving time will still not improve.
Oh no, if we cut down visual variety, the saving time will surely improve!

... but at the coast of visual variety ^^

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Still looking for the damned '?' when brewing... Starting to feel stupid, I have to be missing something.
It's so crazy how the "?" appear very randomly. I didn't have anymore problem with the weapon shop after reinstallation, and yet, something was still wrong in the game code and it should have appeared (based on how you removed a line in the .qsp)

Does anyone know what exactly this " - Sound glitches (crackling) when playing in fullscreen. " in the roadmap means? Is it just the music that crackles, or all sound effects?
Guess what? I was unable to reproduce it today :illuminati: Everything went fine, even in spite of the fact I did everything like last time. Maybe it was just my phone being too close to the speakers ^^ (doubt it tho).

Reactions: Nikira and i107760
4.00 star(s) 58 Votes