4.10 star(s) 186 Votes

GokutheG

Oct 20, 2022
How do you explain that for the couple first years he made updates in ~3 months and now 1 a year, with as much or even lower content per update? Except for being sick in february, he didn't give excuses for the increased dev cycle.

DPC is the exception. He makes ~$50k a month from patreon alone. He also has Steam and maybe other avenues. But with $2k a month, let's say $1.5k after taxes and patreon's cut, you can live in Europe. Sure it's not much but it's more than the minimum wage in my country.
After playing the game and checking out the walk-through I'd say a main factor to the development slowing down is due to increasing difficulties in keeping the branching paths each relationship can go down under control and this is especially difficult if it's a developer's first game.

GayLord Jesus

Oct 9, 2021
Regardless if this is a hobby or a business for Stoper, he owes it to his patrons to be far more candid. At one time he was very well respected, partially because of his transparency. If he could get back to that, I think it would improve this thread, and his reputation
Their real names or whereabouts are hardly known (even to their patrons), only the current mantel is public.
I won't be surprised if they switched between their stage names and launched another similar process in the future either in collaboration or solo projects.
Even working as a hired help in profession could make them decent earnings if by some miracle they lose their respect also patron support completely.

However, if M - City dev returns with a new update and few excuses, They'll be immediately redeemed all past scams overlooked. Thus, morality and respect doesn't quite work like you would assume it does.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
After playing the game and checking out the walk-through I'd say a main factor to the development slowing down is due to increasing difficulties in keeping the branching paths each relationship can go down under control and this is especially difficult if it's a developer's first game.
let's say it's one of the causes

homejorz

Apr 12, 2020
Sorry if this has been clarified already, but has there been any form of communication from stoper recently?
Fairly certain Stoper has burnout pretty bad, and therefore updates are slow and he barely communicates on patreon. He is active in the JOHN discord though

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Fairly certain Stoper has burnout pretty bad, and therefore updates are slow and he barely communicates on patreon. He is active in the JOHN discord though
and he posted something here a while ago.

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Someone who KEEPS mentioning HOW MUCH FUN he has creating his scenes is NOT burned out. Someone who is telling his patrons in his various devblogs that he's making good progress isn't burned out either. Yes, that's what he's saying during every single development cycle, and yet it's only getting slower. The reasons for that are certainly not burnout.

He's made a blogpost roughly 2 years ago about being burned out and having a hard time finding inspiration for the scene he was working on at the time. He said that, took some time off, came back, apparently revitalized from checking out other smut, told his patrons that he's making "good progress" again, and a month later came up with yet another excuse as to why the update back then got delayed. And that went on for several more months.

He's always coming up with new excuses. That's how I see it.

Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
I joined Stoper's Patreon recently and got a nice response to a message I posted. I see other patron posts also had responses. There are a few updates from the last several weeks, plus some art showing work on JOHN. He mentioned recuperating from a bad illness that continues to cause him some problems. Nonetheless, there seems to be progress on the game. I mean, I joined his Patreon, I didn't hire him to babysit my kids or something. It's not like he's obliged to tell me all about his real self and hearing some of you here complain that you don't know his real name or where he lives is pretty rich given that we're all using pseudonyms. To me it looks like the guy's had a rough year but is getting back into the swing of things. I hope that's true, but if it ultimately isn't true, I'll find something else to fap to and I'll be out a few bucks. I'm not going to make myself miserable being angry at an anonymous stranger for deciding he no longer wants to pose pixels in a way that makes my dick hard.

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
I joined Stoper's Patreon recently and got a nice response to a message I posted. I see other patron posts also had responses. There are a few updates from the last several weeks, plus some art showing work on JOHN. He mentioned recuperating from a bad illness that continues to cause him some problems. Nonetheless, there seems to be progress on the game. I mean, I joined his Patreon, I didn't hire him to babysit my kids or something. It's not like he's obliged to tell me all about his real self and hearing some of you here complain that you don't know his real name or where he lives is pretty rich given that we're all using pseudonyms. To me it looks like the guy's had a rough year but is getting back into the swing of things. I hope that's true, but if it ultimately isn't true, I'll find something else to fap to and I'll be out a few bucks. I'm not going to make myself miserable being angry at an anonymous stranger for deciding he no longer wants to pose pixels in a way that makes my dick hard.
I think it's useful to keep the totality of the AVG marketplace in mind. JOHN's issues are bad enough when looked at in a vacuum, but we see the same issues with other devs. The illnesses, moving, hardware difficulties, vacations, etc; none of these are "bad" excuses, and all of them are defensible...but a pattern begins to emerge. It doesn't matter if it's Stoper or L&P or Icstor (or countless other devs), if you pay enough attention you begin to see the same red flags. For each individual case it's impossible to definitively prove that someone is lying or exaggerating, but taken collectively their reasons for delays all become cliches. Overly ambitious games, with slow-burn pacing, have a bad reputation for devs that come down with mysterious illnesses, or move constantly, or travel the world, or have hardware problems. So I kinda view the frustration in this thread as broadly aimed beyond just Stoper. Yes, this thread is for his game, so he catches the brunt of the frustration, but if people didn't feel like they were seeing this same song and dance in other games I don't think the frustration would be so visceral.

And palmtrees89 makes an excellent point. Too many of the dev blogs tell us about how great the progress is, only for it to be undermined later when he delays the product. And then, when the update is released, it doesn't jive with the months of "good progress" that we've heard about. For a time I think we all assumed he just worked in fits and starts, so progress was made in bursts and then there was a prolonged downtime. But for the last 2 years development has been so slow, and enough inconsistencies have emerged, that many of us suspect that months go by without any work being done; only for a fit of work to be accomplished in the last 30 days before release. It's just the sort of inconsistency that really grinds people's gears.

I'm not angry about any of this. To me the game is simply dying and won't make it through 2024. That's ok, there's plenty of other things to do. But I do think the meta discussion surrounding the development is interesting and enlightening. The game itself is good and interesting enough to grab your attention, but you really have to stick around for the meta conversation. I personally just find it really fascinating to watch the development progression of games like this because it all seems so mysterious.

Omiru0094

Jun 19, 2022
Excelent!! Agree 100% !!

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
If he's still recuperating from his illness back in february, I don't see him getting back into the swing of things. And it's been at least a couple of rough years.

Also I don't think there is a lot of "angry" people, but I believe it's nice to be informed about the game's state before becoming a patron. But if people like you don't care, it's ok even though many think it's not deserved at the moment.

OllisNews

Jul 21, 2020
I believe(!) that in the beginning the idea is there. Then a game is developed and it finds approval. Now comes the momentum and now again the developer is challenged. But before you start something like that, you should be aware of it, because after all he is paid for it. The best example is "Oopsy daisy". Many requests, no feedback...something like that leaves frustration. The next game is "A Life Worth Living". Apart from individual releases, nothing comes of it either.
I could go on like this...

Deepl Transl.

Reactions: Gearz24

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
Also I don't think there is a lot of "angry" people, but I believe it's nice to be informed about the game's state before becoming a patron. But if people like you don't care, it's ok even though many think it's not deserved at the moment.
I disagree, from the posts I've read there seems to be a level of hostility. When someone becomes emotionally involved with something and their perceived needs aren't being met they become frustrated and angry. The comments show that. It's like a relationship gone bad, but your not over the other person so you continue to snipe at and make comments about the other person's deficiencies and faults. If people weren't angry about this they would just move on and not continue to comment about it.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
I think it's useful to keep the totality of the AVG marketplace in mind. JOHN's issues are bad enough when looked at in a vacuum, but we see the same issues with other devs. The illnesses, moving, hardware difficulties, vacations, etc; none of these are "bad" excuses, and all of them are defensible...but a pattern begins to emerge. It doesn't matter if it's Stoper or L&P or Icstor (or countless other devs), if you pay enough attention you begin to see the same red flags. For each individual case it's impossible to definitively prove that someone is lying or exaggerating, but taken collectively their reasons for delays all become cliches. Overly ambitious games, with slow-burn pacing, have a bad reputation for devs that come down with mysterious illnesses, or move constantly, or travel the world, or have hardware problems. So I kinda view the frustration in this thread as broadly aimed beyond just Stoper. Yes, this thread is for his game, so he catches the brunt of the frustration, but if people didn't feel like they were seeing this same song and dance in other games I don't think the frustration would be so visceral.

And palmtrees89 makes an excellent point. Too many of the dev blogs tell us about how great the progress is, only for it to be undermined later when he delays the product. And then, when the update is released, it doesn't jive with the months of "good progress" that we've heard about. For a time I think we all assumed he just worked in fits and starts, so progress was made in bursts and then there was a prolonged downtime. But for the last 2 years development has been so slow, and enough inconsistencies have emerged, that many of us suspect that months go by without any work being done; only for a fit of work to be accomplished in the last 30 days before release. It's just the sort of inconsistency that really grinds people's gears.

I'm not angry about any of this. To me the game is simply dying and won't make it through 2024. That's ok, there's plenty of other things to do. But I do think the meta discussion surrounding the development is interesting and enlightening. The game itself is good and interesting enough to grab your attention, but you really have to stick around for the meta conversation. I personally just find it really fascinating to watch the development progression of games like this because it all seems so mysterious.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

4.10 star(s) 186 Votes