nzn

Aug 9, 2019
Counting reading and not fluently speaking at one point I knew Latin, French and German. I've probably learned and forgotten somewhere between 10-20 programming languages and dialects. Most of those I've forgotten as they fell out of favor or their platforms wandered off into the sunset. Anybody remember Algol, Pascal, Modula, DCL, ARexx, APL or PL/I? Don't think computer languages are considered proper languages? Back in the 80's there was a linguistics class at my college where you could pick LISP and FORTRAN as languages to study. I went the LISP route and had access to a Symbolics LISP machine in the lab. Trivia du jour: symbolics.com is the very first (and still active) .com domain name that was registered.

I didn't say audio should be removed or fully ignored. Just don't make it integral to the story where you can't progress due to missing some sort of audio cue. Don't make it a high priority. Don't project your tastes in music onto the fanbase because they will most likely rather you don't so they can listen to their own or multitask listening to other things that are necessary IRL as they play.

"Niche weirdo"? How many people do you think are out there who don't give a shit about their jobs? Why should they? Because you know three languages, I'm going to assume you have citizenship in the EU or somewhere that respects labor. Maybe you guys over there do think it's weird to not respect your employer. Here in Murica these corporate overlords treat their labor as a commodity that must not be unionized and squeezed out of every ounce of work they can get for less than subsistance wages. I doubt the "Normal people" are just looking at Facebook while toiling away on their own personal laptop or phone that their overlord forced them to use because they are too cheap to supply company hardware. Since it's their own hardware, they could be running just about anything. That is unless the corporate "toolset" they are forced to install includes Websense or some other spyware that will snitch on them to the Thought Police.

Maybe your VN is a little bit more SFW than others on here. Just consider that these poor souls might want to escape their plight every once in a while and don't want the audio to narc them out as they try to escape to a quiet place. They would rather have you spend your time on eye candy and the script instead of something that they probably have muted.

That 10% number that got pulled out of thin air may be a niche but it shouldn't be considered tiny. It's probably bigger than the survivors left out on smallville's Main St after Amazon and Walmart and the other big box stores ran everything else out of business.
emm we are 2 different people. this seems to have confused you. i would like to be able to respond to specific statements instead of wall of text directed at 2 different people rather chaotically

where in JPDE does lack of audio prevent progression?

just because english is my third language doesn't mean i kow 3, "Counting reading and not fluently speaking" i reach 7. and of those 6 have spelling/pronunciation rules an one uses whatever rules where available at the time or in the language they took the word from. in any event i wonder how well you would write in German or Latin. note on glass houses:

as far as the sound issue: you seem hellbent to die on a hill and keep insisting stuff that the vast majority of people don't agree with you.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
an elegant solution is to go with backlog
I assume you are talking about "rollback". My comment about twitch mode FPS includes the whole chore of clicking to bypass each of the inline cps overrides and the "dramatic" pauses which are annoying to speed readers like me. I'm definitely not a "weird niche" user for that. Because there are often multiple clicks necessary here, I inevitably overshoot and end up with the next line of dialog from another character getting started. So then I have to rollback which, thankfully, gives me the "full" line of previous dialog without all of the hoop jumping being necessary again. This whole dance is is very tiring. I eventually threw the whole mess of the script.rpy into emacs where I could use macros to strip out all of the inline '{xxxx}' commands from lines of dialog. This also had the added benefit of switching everything back to white, especially the unreadable blue font. The only problem is that script.rpy is only the prologue chapter basically. Rather than chasing it down everywhere, I'm going to wait for the dev's future release where they fix the gui to make it readable. If they still have the tens of thousands of lines of speed overrides and stuttered pauses in the script, I'll take the time to hack that all out in all of the sources and repost it. I've done these for other VN's here. It's interesting to see how many likes I get for being such a "weird niche" user for making those uploads.

this seems to be completely unrelated and off topic. not to mention speculation (there are a lot of reasons why people drop projects, skip on people, ghost contacts and so on)
Actually I had started a dialog with the author about fixing broken media links in his html so that the urls for media respected case sensitive filesystems like Linux. He is only a content creator type, uses Winders, and is not tech savvy. He didn't realize how the NTFS filesystem respects case when writing files, but ignores it on read. That annoying bug has been there since the early days of Windows-NT, and M$ couldn't be bothered about making what should be a trivial fix. While doing all that, I ran across some javascript errors that traced back to code he had hired a programmer to write. Rather than use some standard frameworks, they wrote everything for themselves. Note the use of plural pronouns there, aka "royal we" to avoid making assumptions about the dev's sex. Anyway, their code had a performance issue where the browser got slower and slower the longer you spent navigating the mc around in a given scenario map. They did apparently fix this after several failed attempts, but it and other bugs got me to looking at it for myself. Their framework was an unreadable mess, especially since it had all formatting stripped away to make the whole thing look like a several thousand character blob of text.

I got the impression this person was trying to get their boss to start their next project in Unity, probably because they were trying to pad their resume to get into a game studio. I think I got a pissy message or two from this person as blowback when I advised the lead that Unity was a commercial product that would cost $$$, only have native support for Winders, and also was a bad match for the type of content they wanted to create. The programmer went dark shortly thereafter. This person is a prime example of someone who probably never heard of KISS. if they got a Unity job at some studio they probably didn't survive their first code walkthrough in front of a software review board.

Pick a defense damn you. Are you representing a group or are you using royal we like "a klng or queen"
You implied that I was the only person in the world who had this view about audio. I have first hand experience with people I personally know who don't need or want audio other than maybe a sparse use of sound effects. These people often wear sound canceling headphones at work and probably suffer from some level of Asperger's Syndrome. I'm not like this but have had a pair of speakers get detonated by some jerk's improperly leveled music. My taste in music is quite ecletic and rarely strays anywhere near the "popular" stuff that livestreamers put into their backgrounds. So I throw my VN audio into a dummy audio device because I don't want to be bothered with it.

As for the whole snark about "atrotious", your reply, especially that paragraph of word salad where it appears didn't feel like something coming from a non-native speaker. It didn't look like "Ruglish", "Spanglish" or "Chinglish" either. So I assumed it was just atrocious language skills. I still don't get what you were trying to say at several points in that paragraph.

• Angry
Reactions: Sole

tpk

Aug 24, 2018
I like the game...

But before leaving a review, let me tell you how to make it better (is mostly QoL, I hope that some of these are going to be addressed):

1.- new game +: this game NEEDS it, I won't play this (good) shit a second time without the game making something easier or stuff carrying over. I don't really care what it is or how you implement it, just do something. the game is really long and requires (some) grinding, it would also make it so having higher skills or gaining money have some use besides just getting sprites for the characters, if you make some characters require some.

2.- change 'semblance' for 'special', small stuff, but is something.

3.- the extra menu with the CGs should be divided better, right now (I think, as I only have the 1 ending, I only have 1 character CGs) is searching for the one you want, but it would be better if you had a list of characters as a menu with their CGs.

4.- more neo, really important.

5.- either make the aura training (with Phyrra) and/or combat training (with Yang) have some meaning in combat. I think is a bit of ludonarrative dissonance (not that it really matters). basically, David gets better at fighting but not really.

As for a bit of a review while the game is not fully finished:

1.- the OC characters aren't bad, this is generalizing. some are good, some are great (I actually really liked some of them), and some are straight-up bad, unnecessary, and/or forgettable. I could go into specifics, but there are many OCs.

2.- There are MANY OCs, and when you think about it, is understandable. The name of the game already says everything 'JPDE' not 'RWBY'. Is a fangame of the series, sure, but not is about the RWBY team, they are just secondary characters.

3.- Love the takes on some characters (especially Penny and Goodwitch). I think the only exception is mercury, but fuck that guy, never liked him anyways. Although some parts are out there, Phyrra for instance, but it does not ruin the character and you can argue is in part for an actual reason (like polarity being Phyrra's semblance).

4.- not enough neo.

5.- the last part of the OC villains felt... empty. mind you, not battle against them, but rather that after that fight they aren't a worry anymore, or even show that they care (for better or worse) about the team in the tournament.

nzn

Aug 9, 2019
1.- new game +: this game NEEDS it, I won't play this (good) shit a second time without the game making something easier or stuff carrying over. I don't really care what it is or how you implement it, just do something. the game is really long and requires (some) grinding, it would also make it so having higher skills or gaining money have some use besides just getting sprites for the characters, if you make some characters require some.

2.- change 'semblance' for 'special', small stuff, but is something.

3.- the extra menu with the CGs should be divided better, right now (I think, as I only have the 1 ending, I only have 1 character CGs) is searching for the one you want, but it would be better if you had a list of characters as a menu with their CGs.

5.- either make the aura training (with Phyrra) and/or combat training (with Yang) have some meaning in combat. I think is a bit of ludonarrative dissonance (not that it really matters). basically, David gets better at fighting but not really.
i second these points (i played tro the game a couple of times and rally don't want to repeat it all that much)

an idea for the 5th point would be to add an ability. that way you would be rewarded for the training but not penalized too much if you don't care for yang or phyrra

also please at least in new game + allow the disabling QTEs for that is the greatest barrier for replay for me

tpk

Aug 24, 2018
And the RWBY universe?...

I don't know exactly why of that change, but if you are referring to their powers/abilities, for the RWBY Universe this kind of thing is called "Semblance".
I mean, yeah, I like the universe. Sure, the series is sort of a mess, but they have a really solid world building and the universe has the whole 'allusions' thing going on and is (personally) really charming.

And for the semblance thing, I'm referring to the battle menu, it has skills that aren't semblances. Ruby's 'is also a gun', for instance.

Not really here to argue about the show, tho.

Reactions: HentaiGamerN00b

opoo

Jun 20, 2018
Really enjoying the story of the game. Unfortunately the fighting is kinda buggy as some fights just seem to randomly crash if they go on too long. Managed to get past some but am unforunately stuck on Scourge and can't beat him without it crashing.

nzn

Aug 9, 2019
And the RWBY universe?...

I don't know exactly why of that change, but if you are referring to their powers/abilities, for the RWBY Universe this kind of thing is called "Semblance".
while the semblence tab in combat was clearly originally meant to be for semblences it has become a bit cluttered with other skills and special attacks. i get why it got so but the comment is still valid.

opoo

Jun 20, 2018
Anybody else crashing during/after the fight around day 105 with the slug monster?
Yeah some of the fights crash due to some coding issues I think.

I even asked above if anyone got it with a later fight that I can't get past.

In the one you are currently on you can hack the MC stats to be high enough to kill it a in a few turns. Its how I got around it.

tacosnap123

Mar 3, 2018
fun game just finished the story is there any chance for a new game plus or a way to hackthe stats cuz i dont want to start fresh and do all thoses fights

Thyler

May 14, 2018
Yeah some of the fights crash due to some coding issues I think.

I even asked above if anyone got it with a later fight that I can't get past.

In the one you are currently on you can hack the MC stats to be high enough to kill it a in a few turns. Its how I got around it.
how to hack then?

keni77

Feb 3, 2020
how to hack then?
with the console
shift and O
these are the commands

game_day count = (x)
calendar.daycount_from_gamestart = (x)
money = (x)
alvl = (x)
atk = (x)
end = (x)
stm = (x)
inl = (x)
spd = (x)
but if you want to play it safe, use the rempy save editor

Reactions: Aode

tacosnap123

Mar 3, 2018
with the console
shift and O
these are the commands

game_day count = (x)
calendar.daycount_from_gamestart = (x)
money = (x)
alvl = (x)
atk = (x)
end = (x)
stm = (x)
inl = (x)
spd = (x)
but if you want to play it safe, use the rempy save editor
if you were to change the day to futher back could you see all the events in a single run

4.40 star(s) 28 Votes