Mod Ren'Py Karlsson's Gambit [S1 v0.7FinalB & S2 v0.8.1FinalA] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
For you technical folks, I'm blaming the old RenPy version for most of the load lag due to the OpenGL2 API call but it's also the extra Python dictionaries that have to be built at start. Normally this is extremely fast but some of the menu choices have 5 or more variables effected creating huge dictionaries behind the scenes...you processor will work it's ass of during load but there's little I can do unless I don't include a ChoiceGuide (WT) which is why most folks want the dang mod to begin with. This is what happens with variable overload and choice menus that read like paragraph dialogue. There's little I can do about it but I'm doing everything I can to make it efficient minus cutting out all the pretty new graphics of course :)

Reactions: sava75

yazda

Mar 21, 2021
SanchoMod 4 Hour Beta

(I truly hope I don't regret this post so please allow me to be very clear with the below)

Note: This is beta only...do NOT download/install if you don't understand what that means. This is for testing purposes only and the link will be removed in 4 hours. I suggest using a clean new copy of the VN in a new directory in case anything gets fubar'd. The beta ChoiceGuide is complete thru the end of Chapter 4. The purpose of the beta is so it can be tested while I complete the new mod for official release. Please make sure you understand and accept the above before proceeding.

To keep x86 compatibility this beta is compiled in the same old RenPy as the Dev used (7.3.5). It's going to load slow due to the APIs I'm calling and RenPy trying to sort it out...just be patient while it loads (takes about 1min w/ i7 8-core). You will likely get the following screen, do NOT update your DirectX as it suggests, it's not the problem, again it's the old RenPy. Continue as noted in the pic:
View attachment 1455954

To get your bearings around the mod use this screen as an overview (yes, it's a different title but I'm not going to waste time right now to mock up a new one....this is a beta while I finish Chapter 5 of the ChoiceGuide and the gallery.
View attachment 1455956

Temporary link to the Beta - SanchoMod for KarlssonsGambit v0.5b:
Please do not post this link anywhere, it will be dead soon and there's no point in folks getting confused later if they stumble upon it, thanks.

Installation folder structure should look like this (you know the drill, if you don't then please wait for official release)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If download count gets too high I reserve the right to delete the remote link as, again, this is only intended as a small beta for a limited timeframe for those who wish to help (which I appreciate or I wouldn't do all this).

I sincerely hope this post is clear. Again, if you are a novice user or don't understand this post, don't worry the official release is almost here, you won't miss out on anything (except possible stress and bugs) so please be patient as we're now on the homestretch. Regards.
Ok first feedback after 5 minutes of play. Normal Renpy commands such as skip and autoplay do not work any more.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ok first feedback after 5 minutes of play. Normal Renpy commands such as skip and autoplay do not work any more.
yazda Skip won't work since I changed the scripts and your currently playthrough/load thinks you've started fresh as far as "seen" dialogue. It will work when you go back after progression with the mod installed. You can also skip regardless of condition via "Preferences", find "Skip" at top-right, then click "Unseen Text".

Innocience

Mar 25, 2020
Skip won't work since I changed the scripts and your currently playthrough/load thinks you've started fresh as far as "seen" dialogue. It will work when you go back after progression with the mod installed. You can also skip regardless of condition via "Preferences", find "Skip" at top-right, then click "Unseen Text".
From playing the first chapter it looks fine so far. Really well done!
There's a notable lag in doing anything with the mod menu, but nothing that is too terrible to bear.

Question about the progress bar: It's the line at the bottom that shows the percentage of seen passages versus the total, correct? But it only shows when we're actually having to make a choice - so what is its purpose in these scenes? Or is that just a technical thing?

Suggestion: Have the typical RenPy quick bar active as the default. I was confused when I first booted up the game thinking you had removed it entirely.

Can something be done about the tab order? I tend to choose options using the keyboard, where one press down automatically jumps the cursor onto the first choice dialog.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
From playing the first chapter it looks fine so far. Really well done!
There's a notable lag in doing anything with the mod menu, but nothing that is too terrible to bear.

Question about the progress bar: It's the line at the bottom that shows the percentage of seen passages versus the total, correct? But it only shows when we're actually having to make a choice - so what is its purpose in these scenes? Or is that just a technical thing?
Yepper, it's total seen through all playthroughs. I'd prefer it to be current playthrough but it's a RenPy thing (dialogue seen in RenPy calculates all dialogue ever seen and doesn't take into account just the current loaded save...bummer). And yes, the progress bar at the bottom of screen is only supposed to show up during choices. It's a design decision so as not to be a distraction during actual scenes. If you wish to see any other time it's always populated at the top of the MiniStat screen, and can be always on screen if toggled to do so.
Suggestion: Have the typical RenPy quick bar active as the default. I was confused when I first booted up the game thinking you had removed it entirely.
I've certainly considered it and it's selfish really as I play with it off by default. I can make it so, it's hardly a big issue for sure.
Can something be done about the tab order? I tend to choose options using the keyboard, where one press down automatically jumps the cursor onto the first choice dialog.
I never even thought of it, you are the very first to have ever brought that up. Where is it defaulting now for you? It may very well be due to the window order on the screen which I can certainly look into.

Last edited:

Innocience

Mar 25, 2020
I've certainly considered it and it's selfish really as I play with it off by default. I can make it so, it's hardly a big issue for sure.
Thank you!

I never even thought of it, you are the very first to have ever brought that up. Where is it defaulting now for you? It may very well be due to the window order on the screen which I can certainly look into.
Any key (up, down, left, right) lands me on the miniStat next button. Further pressing down goes to your menu and the opacity slider, after which it is stuck.
I think having the first selected position land on the choice window would fix the issue.
RenPy has always had weird cursor navigation where it's pretending its selectable objects had 2 coordinates and you had to navigate using the direction closest to the current position.
If it's too much of a hassle it wouldn't be that big of a deal anyways. (just a button press more)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
If it's too much of a hassle it wouldn't be that big of a deal anyways. (just a button press more)
Ha! Dear sir, my mods are all about polish and details...I will certainly add this to the list of requests and will conquer. Do your best to break it in playthrough...if I don't get an official release out PDQ folks gonna troll me, lol.

Innocience

Mar 25, 2020
Problem: Activating the QuickMenu and hitting Back disables the QuickMenu again.

Also the Prison Run Scene gives no information about the Slave Points so far. Dunno if that's going to change; but I do recall it has different effects based on the WellFed flag and other variables.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Problem: Activating the QuickMenu and hitting Back disables the QuickMenu again.

Also the Prison Run Scene gives no information about the Slave Points so far. Dunno if that's going to change; but I do recall it has different effects based on the WellFed flag and other variables.
What "Back"? There's only a Show/Hide which is the toggle to show or hide the menu.

Slave Points are in all the stat screens, including the MiniStat which can be set to always visible. I'm not sure what you're getting at TBH.

Innocience

Mar 25, 2020
What "Back"? There's only a Show/Hide which is the toggle to show or hide the menu.
Basically do the following:
- Load a Game or Start the game without the QuickMenu shown.
- Show the QuickMenu
- Press "Back" Button on the QuickMenu
- You move one scene back but now the QuickMenu isn't shown anymore and you have to show it again to go back another scene.

E.g. Wanted to redo my choice but the QuickMenu wasn't enabled. I turned it on and it disabled itself each time I hit the Rollback.

yazda

Mar 21, 2021
OK, for now I've reduced the lag by ~65% by incorporating "KittyOffer" strikethroughs into "JunkRomanceOpen" which allowed me to kill one of the larges dictionary builds. Much improved startup performance at the cost of very minor guide appearance. Still chugging along Chapter 5....
Ok, next issue. I started from chapter 1 and did a quick replay. But it still ends at chapter 4 and will not let me progress to chapter 5.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Basically do the following:
- Load a Game or Start the game without the QuickMenu shown.
- Show the QuickMenu
- Press "Back" Button on the QuickMenu
- You move one scene back but now the QuickMenu isn't shown anymore and you have to show it again to go back another scene.

E.g. Wanted to redo my choice but the QuickMenu wasn't enabled. I turned it on and it disabled itself each time I hit the Rollback.
It's not persistent. It's taking into account the save you loaded. For example, enable the QM and click through say 5 scenes, then click the back button 4 times, the QM is still there...go back too far and it remembers the scene it wasn't shown. That's RenPy.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ok, next issue. I started from chapter 1 and did a quick replay. But it still ends at chapter 4 and will not let me progress to chapter 5.
Incorrect install then. You must place the beta inside v0.5b this is verified working on 3 different PC's here, 2 of which are virgins (don't have any legacy installations of anything on them). Fresh install of VN v0.5b with beta installed on virgin machine just now gets there, this is the first scene of Chapter 5 from that PC:
KG SM 001zzze.jpg

Last edited:

Innocience

Mar 25, 2020
It's not persistent. It's taking into account the save you loaded. For example, enable the QM and click through say 5 scenes, then click the back button 4 times, the QM is still there...go back too far and it remembers the scene it wasn't shown. That's RenPy.
I see. Is there any way to prevent this? It's quite an annoyance since I wanted to redo my choice 6+ choices ago and was forced to constantly re-enable the QuickMenu to rollback another step. There's probably a shortkey for that functionality of which I'm unaware.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I see. Is there any way to prevent this? It's quite an annoyance since I wanted to redo my choice 6+ choices ago and was forced to constantly re-enable the QuickMenu to rollback another step. There's probably a shortkey for that functionality of which I'm unaware.
Yes, I can make it persistent but my mods currently don't alter the player's persistent file (like many others do) as many folks don't like modders buggering around their system files. I'll consider it for sure. Easiest way for you is to load a save some ways back, enable the QM as desired, and skip forward to where you want to initiate. Then the "back" button will work for you as the scenes will be remembered by RenPy that the QM was already enabled there.

Reactions: Innocience

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Can you tell me how you can read the script? When I open the file, it looks like it's encrypted
No shit....because I'm sick and tired of my code getting ripped off, put into other mods with monetary sites for personal gain. What exactly are you looking for?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Forgive me, I think I expressed myself wrong. In the original game folder there is a file scripts.rpa, but when I open it this is what I see. I would like to know how to see the readable code.
I see. RPA is RenPy archive file. They are created in every game compiled in RenPy. It's the standard distribution type for them. I'll just say it's like looking at an EXE file, it's compiled. Once compiled it's technically machine-code not text-code. Each RPA compile are different objects such as images, audio, fonts, scripts, etc.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes