noway1

Nov 27, 2019
I would believe that those financial "fears" are pretty real. I think you cannot expect to get a patreon income of 1k$ by just some normal femdom game. You already have to be talented in some way. Tess is really great and experienced in story telling. Also somehow very integrated in the community here. So, please take a look at other also nice femdom game creators like jinjonkun from The Prison 2 or taco from second class. They are good and start with like 100$-300$ with the first release and maybe need a year of work to double that amount. (And if you create an average game, expect less income.)

I believe you should not start to make a game with the intention to earn big money, but for the love of the game you want to realize. You also should not right away start with a full game, but as Tess also did to my knowledge, start with creating nice images you like.

Last edited:

asehpe

Mar 13, 2020
Yeah, in the actual program you can tweak with different body shapes and parts from say different characters, etc. I'm about as non-tech as it gets so if I can do it, I believe pretty much anyone can given enough effort. I never tried any program like this or even read a single line of code before starting, so I came from about as newbie a background as one can for starting.

https://f95zone.to/forums/asset-releases.95/ that thread has hundreds of assets you can test, etc. I use Daz Studio for the art and Renpy for the coding. For visual novels, they seem to work pretty well to me so far.
Thanks -- I appreciate the info.

asehpe

Mar 13, 2020
When I started this game, I thought the biggest threat to being able to finish it was not generating enough revenue to pay for the assets I wanted to buy to try and tell the right story. In a sense, I worried I wouldn't want to bleed money just buying stuff and never even breaking even at all. I worried a little about burnout, but I have always had tremendous energy and drive in life, so I wasn't that concerned except maybe just getting tired of the story perhaps...
Story burnout is a real problem, and many authors have had to struggle with it (Hemingway even wrote about it once, though he didn't call it that). But there is a light in the story itself that keeps burning even when circumstances (how much money/time/resources you're losing) are not entirely favorable. Sometimes even having a lot of energy and drive can actually be a minus -- because it can lead you to overwork yourself and/or commit to too many things on the one hand, and also because it can be kidnapped by other things in your life that suddenly demand said energy and drive. (In my case, all the crazy stuff concerning the election and my attempts to help out are consuming a lot more of my time and energy than I had expected and planned for at first. I can barely find time to do the translating I had promised to do in another f95 thread.)

Still, there is this light... It's not just believing in your story -- it's also seeing that it can be part of whatever mosaic one (under one's own circumstances) decides to make of one's life. You already seem to be pretty good at balancing time and resources (the physical aspect of the mosaic); but there's also the other side of the mosaic: the patterns of interest and contentment that the various pieces of one's life can bring. The joy inherent to each of them. Connecting these pieces, including the stories one wants to tell, from that other side is... a curiously rewarding challenge. Even when they seem to be just a random collection of islands of various interests, there is... something deeper to them, and if one can find it and see how the stories one wants to tell fit in it, in this "red thread of personal fate" so to speak, there is an unexpectedly rich reward to be reaped. An extra source of motivation.

But maybe you already know all of this. :cool:

I'm glad your IRL business is booming, and that you're even giving employment to new people in an economy that is clearly going to go through some very tough times next year. Some of it may even mildly resemble corresponding aspects in the world of Karlsson's Gambit, who knows.

Just play with it and practice. I had a much worse time dealing with the coding than the art.
My next step down the road is asking how to do animations and I've got great advice so far but not really the computer for it yet...
I'm trying to do that, too, and it's been so far surprisingly more pleasant than I had anticipated -- I'd encourage anyone who harbors doubts to just up and try it. Fortunately, I've also discovered someone who is incredibily good at these things and who may collab with me. That's still very iffy because she is only marginally, if at all, into femdom as a genre, but who knows... I have some modicum of hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: pabo and TessSadist

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Story burnout is a real problem, and many authors have had to struggle with it (Hemingway even wrote about it once, though he didn't call it that). But there is a light in the story itself that keeps burning even when circumstances (how much money/time/resources you're losing) are not entirely favorable. Sometimes even having a lot of energy and drive can actually be a minus -- because it can lead you to overwork yourself and/or commit to too many things on the one hand, and also because it can be kidnapped by other things in your life that suddenly demand said energy and drive. (In my case, all the crazy stuff concerning the election and my attempts to help out are consuming a lot more of my time and energy than I had expected and planned for at first. I can barely find time to do the translating I had promised to do in another f95 thread.)

Still, there is this light... It's not just believing in your story -- it's also seeing that it can be part of whatever mosaic one (under one's own circumstances) decides to make of one's life. You already seem to be pretty good at balancing time and resources (the physical aspect of the mosaic); but there's also the other side of the mosaic: the patterns of interest and contentment that the various pieces of one's life can bring. The joy inherent to each of them. Connecting these pieces, including the stories one wants to tell, from that other side is... a curiously rewarding challenge. Even when they seem to be just a random collection of islands of various interests, there is... something deeper to them, and if one can find it and see how the stories one wants to tell fit in it, in this "red thread of personal fate" so to speak, there is an unexpectedly rich reward to be reaped. An extra source of motivation.

But maybe you already know all of this. :cool:

I'm glad your IRL business is booming, and that you're even giving employment to new people in an economy that is clearly going to go through some very tough times next year. Some of it may even mildly resemble corresponding aspects in the world of Karlsson's Gambit, who knows.

I'm trying to do that, too, and it's been so far surprisingly more pleasant than I had anticipated -- I'd encourage anyone who harbors doubts to just up and try it. Fortunately, I've also discovered someone who is incredibily good at these things and who may collab with me. That's still very iffy because she is only marginally, if at all, into femdom as a genre, but who knows... I have some modicum of hope.
Thanks for the kind words, we're even likely going to bring in a fourth person now on a trial basis for six months (we know we have enough work for it that far out but not beyond that) too! I can't complain though as when this stuff first hit in the world, I was thinking we might have to shut down!

That's great that you started playing with it! And getting a partner (I would have done this if I knew anyone good at art at the time) is a great idea too. The girl we hired is a whiz at VRAY (an interior design 3D rendering program) so I've been considering showing her how Daz Studio works just to see what she could create!

Reactions: asehpe

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Status on next update?
I'm updating my Patreon every week consistently with specific updates on number of renders/words done each week - and overall progress - and preview images, but I'll say I'm pretty close now. I try not to post all of that here as the one successful dev I actually know has kind of told me not to do it. I'm kind of following a lot of that advice mostly because his predictions on how my game would be received and exactly what positives/negatives would occur were so spot on that they shocked me. If he ends up right about what will happen both on my Patreon and this site after 0.3, I'll just be that much more floored.

Aseratrix

Engaged Member
Dec 16, 2019
I hope the stand-off on the darktoz game's thread didn't dissuade you for real from your projects here. I think you had excellent points, but its hard to argue against a whole tide of people disagreeing with you. I just hope that you know that many of us respect your contributions here and aim to support your work. Stay true!

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
I hope the stand-off on the darktoz game's thread didn't dissuade you for real from your projects here. I think you had excellent points, but its hard to argue against a whole tide of people disagreeing with you. I just hope that you know that many of us respect your contributions here and aim to support your work. Stay true!
Thank you, any decision I make about this game will likely be about lost opportunity income as the main factor. I won't really get into that thread anymore other than to say I think it's different for a game dev - versus just a normal player/poster - to release another dev's game for piracy. I'd never do that and I have no issues with this site or piracy in general, it's more about how I think game developers should treat other game developers. 0.3 is almost done, and I will see what happens both in my real work and my Patreon page and go from there.

noway1

Nov 27, 2019
But this is the internet, real emotions are irrelevant, commodification of all interaction, humour as excuse to transform all viewpoints into unaccountable voids, etc.
It is a little bit hypocritical. If some people are active in a femdom thread, it might be good starting point for them to show some respect to a woman. Especially, when she crates one of the greatest games available.

DesNoir

Sep 1, 2020
Well, I hope you decide to continue development, Tess. You're one of the very few talented storytellers among the VNs I've discovered so far. It would be quite disappointing to see a game that inspired me to learn tools such as Daz3D and RenPy to get abandoned.

Your Patreon page states that you're working on the game as a hobbyist; while it's not remotely my place to question how you represent yourself, I'd suggest painting a more clear picture to attract potential backers if you have opportunity costs in mind.

There are a lot of people, including myself, who'd spend their time enjoying your stories rather than discussing the purpose of a forum or motives behind other people's posts. The points you've made in the thread are perfectly valid, however I think your emotional integrity is far critical to be compromised over a piracy moral debate.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I'm clueless to the drama. All I know is that you make a vn where my mc can be an alpha and watch all the other males get dommed and humiliated and i freaking love it.

Whatever or whoever is giving you issue please don't quit this. I truly love this sick sense of accomplishment playing this...

Helpppp

Sep 28, 2020
May i ask if the chapter 1 is already included or are they seperated version?...first time trying this game..

pizbia

Sep 17, 2017
I'm clueless to the drama. All I know is that you make a vn where my mc can be an alpha and watch all the other males get dommed and humiliated and i freaking love it.

Whatever or whoever is giving you issue please don't quit this. I truly love this sick sense of accomplishment playing this...
This

No idea what's going on here but this game is great and it really fills its niche so well it would be very hard to replace. I hope the dev continues since so far the game is excellent quality.

ProofreadingRUS

Forum Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
What kind of walkthrough mod is that?
And what happened to the multiple protagonists?
I don't want to play that guy.
I rather play a girl.

4.50 star(s) 146 Votes