Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Thank you for your answer. I will try to Ask there. I've got this problem only for KG and another one. For all the other games it works perfectly.
Hmmm...weird one. Do let us know though if you manage to find out, be useful information to store in the back of the head in case anyone else ever asks.

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
Ideas... yeah, I have one in particular.

It has nothing to do with the mod, but likely has everything to do with what VN version you are running (modded or not doesn't matter). Hoboy, see posts here and here... confirm you DL'd and playing on v0.7b of the VN.

Edit: Note - it's physically impossible to get to Tess's final scene without viewing and processing the export Mask screen in v0.7b, that's why confirmation is paramount to discovering first and why I'm asking.
I'm sorry for being a pain, as I can seen that you've fielded a lot of questions about this already (and know you get a lot all the time about a lot of things). But I'm having a version of the problem this user had (the option to create a named save for export to 0.8 doesn't appear, and I'm playing on mac) except that 1) I absolutely am playing on v0.7b when I attempt the export, and 2) after the screens where the export save option should appear but doesn't, I then get this error:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/KGS1_export.rpy", line 723, in <module>
TypeError: '>=' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'int'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "KGS1_export.rpyc", line 723, in script
File "/renpy-8.0.2-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 2115, in execute
if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
File "/renpy-8.0.2-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 1083, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "/renpy-8.0.2-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 1076, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/KGS1_export.rpy", line 723, in <module>
TypeError: '>=' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'int'

Ren'Py 8.0.2.22081402
KarlssonsGambit 0.7.FinalB
If I ignore that error (which I suspect is/ ought to be the page where the export option appears?) it then takes me through to Tess's final message thing. Do you (or does anyone else?) have any idea of the cause, or how to fix it? I've read through all the suggestions I've been able to find but am starting to worry I may have to replay from the very beginning (which, even with skipping, I really don't want to have to do at this stage).

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Can anyone help me how to open the v 8 game. I have already extracted the file but the game is not opening.
It just doesn't open...at all? Can you give us some more information on exactly what is happening? System? Tried redownloading the zip in case was corrupted?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm sorry for being a pain, as I can seen that you've fielded a lot of questions about this already (and know you get a lot all the time about a lot of things). But I'm having a version of the problem this user had (the option to create a named save for export to 0.8 doesn't appear, and I'm playing on mac) except that 1) I absolutely am playing on v0.7b when I attempt the export, and 2) after the screens where the export save option should appear but doesn't, I then get this error:

If I ignore that error (which I suspect is/ ought to be the page where the export option appears?) it then takes me through to Tess's final message thing. Do you (or does anyone else?) have any idea of the cause, or how to fix it? I've read through all the suggestions I've been able to find but am starting to worry I may have to replay from the very beginning (which, even with skipping, I really don't want to have to do at this stage).
Assuming you are indeed on v0.7b, please standby... allow me time to open the project and review your specific issue for analysis and a recommendation...

Edit: drisarter You are indeed on v0.7b. The issue you are having is the export code conditional seeking how many open (non used) export save slots are available:
Python:
    if gamePass == 1 and not mp1_2.gamePass >= 2: # Sancho: see post note below for more info
What I'm having difficulty thinking of is why in the world on Mac would the MultiPersistent data file creation would result in a "nonetype" error... it's as if you have write protections in place and the initial MultiPersistent file cannot be created and therefore the open slots not existing at all.

Post Note: For clarity on what the conditional is doing (see my "Sancho" note in the above code snippet): this initial portion of the conditional is seeking if the first save slot is used or not and if it is used to go to the next part of the conditional, and if it is open (unused) then proceed with the commands under this portion of the conditional. Your error is saying that the first slot (named "mp1_2.gamePass" for this purpose) is nonexistent.

Are you running the VN directly on the Mac or via a VM (virtual machine)?

Last edited:

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
Assuming you are indeed on v0.7b, please standby... allow me time to open the project and review your specific issue for analysis and a recommendation...

Edit: drisarter You are indeed on v0.7b. The issue you are having is the export code conditional seeking how many open (non used) export save slots are available:
Python:
    if gamePass == 1 and not mp1_2.gamePass >= 2: # Sancho: see post note below for more info
What I'm having difficulty thinking of is why in the world on Mac would the MultiPersistent data file creation would result in a "nonetype" error... it's as if you have write protections in place and the initial MultiPersistent file cannot be created and therefore the open slots not existing at all.

Post Note: For clarity on what the conditional is doing (see my "Sancho" note in the above code snippet): this initial portion of the conditional is seeking if the first save slot is used or not and if it is used to go to the next part of the conditional, and if it is open (unused) then proceed with the commands under this portion of the conditional.

Are you running the VN directly on the Mac or via a VM (virtual machine)?
I'm running it directly on the mac. However I launched the VN via the renpy launcher app rather than opening the mac app directly. As when I tried to do that none of my 0.7 saves would load.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm running it directly on the mac. However I launched the VN via the renpy launcher app rather than opening the mac app directly. As when I tried to do that none of my 0.7 saves would load.
My gut is telling me that your system is preventing write privileges wherever the heck on Mac is the equivalent to PC's "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy". I don't use Mac so maybe you have some insight (this is where you'd want to look so we can proceed). This might also explain why your old v0.7 saves weren't found (if on the same system). Again, this is just my gut reaction, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Otherwise all I can think of is to rewrite the dev's export code so that it will mandate data export but you'd only get one "slot"... in other words take the ability of multi-exports out of the equation.... which to be honest is a pain in the ass... but it's a viable "last resort" option.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Post Note: For clarity on what the conditional is doing (see my "Sancho" note in the above code snippet): this initial portion of the conditional is seeking if the first save slot is used or not and if it is used to go to the next part of the conditional, and if it is open (unused) then proceed with the commands under this portion of the conditional. Your error is saying that the first slot (named "mp1_2.gamePass" for this purpose) is nonexistent.
Technicals for those curious how the field variable "mp1_2.gamePass" is defined (highlighted in yellow above):
Python:
init python:
    mp1_2 = MultiPersistent ( "Karlssons.gambit.s1" ) # Sancho: this is how RenPy understands the "export data file name"
    gamePass = 1 # Sancho: this variable is created to be used as the "save slots" reference going forward.

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
My gut is telling me that your system is preventing write privileges wherever the heck on Mac is the equivalent to PC's "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy". I don't use Mac so maybe you have some insight (this is where you'd want to look so we can proceed). This might also explain why your old v0.7 saves weren't found (if on the same system). Again, this is just my gut reaction, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Otherwise all I can think of is to rewrite the dev's export code so that it will mandate data export but you'd only get one "slot"... in other words take the ability of multi-exports out of the equation.... which to be honest is a pain in the ass... but it's a viable "last resort" option.
What is the function of the "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy" folder? I know where saves are stored on mac "(user name)/Library/RenPy" but I don't imagine that'd be what you mean? As obviously regular game saves can be written fine (and I've also just checked and my user profile should have full read and write permissions).

I guess I'm asking so that if I know what that folder does, I might be able to look up what the equivalent is on Mac?

Thank you for your help with all this, btw, realise it's well beyond your remit.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
What is the function of the "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy" folder? I know where saves are stored on mac "(user name)/Library/RenPy" but I don't imagine that'd be what you mean? As obviously regular game saves can be written fine (and I've also just checked and my user profile at least should have full read and write permissions.

I guess I'm asking so that if I know what that folder does, I might be able to look up what the equivalent is on Mac?

Thank you for your help with all this, btw, realise it's well beyond your remit.
Now that's something we can work with. Please check the directory "(user name)/Library/RenPy" and see if within it there's another directory named exactly "persistent" (all lower-case). Not a file but an actual directory.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
What is the function of the "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy" folder? I know where saves are stored on mac "(user name)/Library/RenPy" but I don't imagine that'd be what you mean? As obviously regular game saves can be written fine (and I've also just checked and my user profile at least should have full read and write permissions.

The folder contains game saves/persistant data that is not held in the actual games folder. For example, in AppData (PC) the KG save folder is actually called Test1-1575173365. If you deleted the game folder, then reinstalled it 6 months later, your saves and data still exist.

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
Now that's something we can work with. Please check the directory "(user name)/Library/RenPy" and see if within it there's another directory names exactly "persistent" (all lower-case). Not a file but an actual directory.
There is. In that directory there's a file called "Karlssons.gambit.s1".

Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
There is. In that directory there's a file called "Karlssons.gambit.s1".
Excellent... again, we are getting somewhere. Now, verify that the file doesn't isn't write restrictive (it needs to be set so Write is "allowed"). If it is allowed... damn, I need to think some more on it... if it's not then change it.

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
The folder contains game saves and also persistant data that is not held in the actual games folder. For example, in AppData (PC) the KG save folder is actually called Test1-1575173365.
Ok so it is the same / equivalent folder. That was the folder of saves I was looking at too (to check I had write permissions).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Unfortunately, write is allowed.
Okay, fair enough, at least we know your system isn't the issue... the code is for some reason. While I think on this a minute (on another cup of coffee) try this (although it likely won't work but it's worth a simple shot in the dark here): With the VN closed (not playing it) delete that file " Karlssons.gambit.s1 " (assuming you've never been able to export previously. If you have been able to export previously then simply cut/paste the file somewhere safe temporarily). Then open v0.7b and attempt the export again.

Reactions: drisarter

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
Okay, fair enough, at least we know your system isn't the issue... the code is for some reason. While I think on this a minute (on another cup of coffee) try this (although it likely won't work but it's worth a simple shot in the dark here): With the VN closed (not playing it) delete that file " Karlssons.gambit.s1 " (assuming you've never been able to export previously. If you have been able to export previously then simply cut/paste the file somewhere safe temporarily). Then open v0.7b and attempt the export again.
Appreciate all your efforts! It didn't work unfortunately, just gave the same error. It has created a new version of the file in the folder, though, for what that's worth.

Don't stew too much on this, either (at least not if you've got other pressing issues to attend to). I'm in australia and it's getting to the point where I need to call it a night and get to bed (was hoping to play this evening but it sadly wasn't to be). And I likely won't have time to try again until tomorrow evening (24hrs from now or so). So yeah, if you've other things to do / look into, feel free to attend to those first.

4.50 star(s) 146 Votes