Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Google translate is only slightly better than MTL. I know it probably isn't easy when you don't have all the necessary help, but I've seen some half way decent translations from people who had nothing but google, so I know it can be done at least decently.
In the case of the developer I'd wager he is using Yandex and not google since that is a russian corporation.
I have used it on occasion as well, and the russian sentences often differ quite a bit from the google or deepl translated ones.
Not wrong words per se, but different priorities on translated words that have more than one meaning.

Oh and btw MTL is the acronym for Machine Translation and not a special translator website.
You can upload text files into google/deepl/yandex/whateverelse and it translates the whole file.
THAT is meant with MTL.

Konstantin

Oct 22, 2016
We are making the game on a non-commercial basis and we simply do not have the means to hire an intelligent translator yet. Moreover, not only a translator is needed, but also a proofreader. Yes, we live in Russia (we are not interested in politics) and do not speak English as a second spoken language

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Oh and btw MTL is the acronym for Machine Translation and not a special translator website.
My statement didn't say "I don't know what MTL means." It said (quite literally) that "google translate is only slightly better than MTL." The meaning of the acronym doesn't make my statement false.

THAT is meant with MTL.
I'm not sure what exactly this statement is supposed to mean, but refer to my above statement. lol

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
My statement didn't say "I don't know what MTL means." It said (quite literally) that "google translate is only slightly better than MTL." The meaning of the acronym doesn't make my statement false.
The reply was in general.
Your post was the talking point for me.

Sorry if you assumed that I was only talking to you.

I'm not sure what exactly this statement is supposed to mean, but refer to my above statement. lol
Refer to the sentence just above the cut you made for the quote.
Regardless of whether you use Google translate, Yandex, Deepl or whatever else that IS MTL.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Refer to the sentence just above the cut you made for the quote.
Regardless of whether you use Google translate, Yandex, Deepl or whatever else that IS MTL.
I said I didn't understand what you meant by that sentence because, in the English I am accustomed to, it made no sense to me, regardless what sentence was before it. The way it was worded made no sense to me.
I still am not even sure I understand what you're saying, but...my guess...are you saying Google translate is a machine translation? Also, I've never even heard of Deepl or Yandex. I know little to nothing about the different ways to translate. In the rare occasions I need something translated, I just go to google. It gets me close enough of an understanding. lol
But, the point is, when I'm reading a novel, for me to stay interested, the grammar needs to be at least decent. I do need to understand what it's actually saying. The games that bother me are usually the ones where I can't tell any difference between the choices. So, it's a random guess as to which choice I need to make to get the outcome I am seeking. That's the point where I quit the game and move on to something else. As long as it's at least understandable, I usually won't worry much about it.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
I said I didn't understand what you meant by that sentence because, in the English I am accustomed to, it made no sense to me, regardless what sentence was before it. The way it was worded made no sense to me.
I still am not even sure I understand what you're saying, but...my guess...are you saying Google translate is a machine translation? Also, I've never even heard of Deepl or Yandex. I know little to nothing about the different ways to translate. In the rare occasions I need something translated, I just go to google. It gets me close enough of an understanding. lol
But, the point is, when I'm reading a novel, for me to stay interested, the grammar needs to be at least decent. I do need to understand what it's actually saying. The games that bother me are usually the ones where I can't tell any difference between the choices. So, it's a random guess as to which choice I need to make to get the outcome I am seeking. That's the point where I quit the game and move on to something else. As long as it's at least understandable, I usually won't worry much about it.
Google:

Yandex:

DeepL:

Use whatever you want from these or others. There are more translator websites, these are just the most well known.

Upload document.
Hit translate.
Download translated document.

You used a machine to translate a document.
Machine Translation
MTL

MTL is not a specific action you do or place you translate.
It is a wide term for translations of whole texts by a translation application without human intervention.
Easy enough for you to understand now?

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Google:

Yandex:

DeepL:

Use whatever you want from these or others. There are more translator websites, these are just the most well known.

Upload document.
Hit translate.
Download translated document.

You used a machine to translate a document.
Machine Translation
MTL

MTL is not a specific action you do or place you translate.
It is a wide term for translations of whole texts by a translation application without human intervention.
Easy enough for you to understand now?
As I previously stated (maybe there's a communication barrier here, but I speak American English if that helps), I know exactly what MTL stands for and what the term "Machine Translation" means. I didn't realize Google Translate was considered a machine. I just never thought of an app or a program as a machine. Even the term "machine translation" in itself describes the translation of words without human intervention. It's quite obvious. And I also never said I use it to translate documents. I see random shit on the internet that isn't in English and I want to know what it says, I go to google, type "google translate" and type the words in the translation tool, and read the results.
The only parts I didn't understand were (as also previously stated) 1, is are you saying "Google Translate" is considered a machine? And, 2, "THAT is meant with MTL" makes no grammatical sense to me. Those are literally the only questions I had. I now know, after this frustrating exchange, that an online application is considered a machine. I still have no clue what that sentence, grammatically, means. lol
But, I really don't care at this point. I'm out.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
As I previously stated (maybe there's a communication barrier here, but I speak American English if that helps), I know exactly what MTL stands for and what the term "Machine Translation" means. I didn't realize Google Translate was considered a machine. I just never thought of an app or a program as a machine. Even the term "machine translation" in itself describes the translation of words without human intervention. It's quite obvious. And I also never said I use it to translate documents. I see random shit on the internet that isn't in English and I want to know what it says, I go to google, type "google translate" and type the words in the translation tool, and read the results.
The only parts I didn't understand were (as also previously stated) 1, is are you saying "Google Translate" is considered a machine? And, 2, "THAT is meant with MTL" makes no grammatical sense to me. Those are literally the only questions I had. I now know, after this frustrating exchange, that an online application is considered a machine. I still have no clue what that sentence, grammatically, means. lol
But, I really don't care at this point. I'm out.
What pray tell have you thought google translate is?

Humans are known to be ... somewhat hindered do things automatically but fast and/or precise.
They ALMOST ALWAYS need the help/use of a machine to do that.

Technically google translate is only a function on a machine. The machine itself is made of the countless servers google has running.
But practically that makes no difference.

If you somehow fail to see sense in a legitimate sentence I fear you overestimated how good you are at speaking english. Did you honestly mock that "what is" is cut from the sentence despite it being allowed to be to avoid repetition and the overall sense is not impacted at all?

And btw. you obviously mistook the english word "You" for the english word "You" ...

Flynn13

Aug 7, 2018
Unfortunately after the argument above I have a problem with the translation. I have set the language to English but only the headings are in English everything else is in Russian. This has only happened with the update 'KateStory-1.00-pc-compressed'. Before that the translation was poor but I could understand it. Is there a fix?

2.30 star(s) 11 Votes