4.60 star(s) 26 Votes

jegg890

Nov 18, 2017
Just read the year recap of the game and i can say im really disapointed, they really shouldnt have done it in the first place, it made me realize that in a whole damn year the devs couldnt make more than a single enemy and a rushed boss sex scene. The game's updates was seemingly "focused on gameplay" yet the map is extremely unfinished and the new "gameplay" is just being able to grind on vines, grab onto ledges and being able to crouch. Something they should have been able to do in a single month. Is this the start of this game's downfall? Wouldnt be surprised if it suddenly got into a endless hiatus.

I know the devs have had problems with real life stuff, but those problems really only started in november and only took about 2 months of their time, not 12.

Last edited:

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
Just read the year recap of the game and i can say im really disapointed, they really shouldnt have done it in the first place, it made me realize that in a whole damn year the devs couldnt make more than a single enemy and a rushed boss sex scene. The game's updates was seemingly "focused on gameplay" yet the map is extremely unfinished and the new "gameplay" is just being able to grind on vines, grab onto ledges and being able to crouch. Something they should have been able to do in a single month. Is this the start of this game's downfall? Wouldnt be surprised if it suddenly got into a endless hiatus.

I know the devs have had problems with real life stuff, but those problems really only started in november and only took about 2 months of their time, not 12.
yeah, they don't seem to know what to focus on. If I were them, I would bring back the old system when the enemy grabs you and the previous map (and gameplay) , because the new one, looks like a demo version jazz jackrabbit. Also I think they went too far with adding elements to the gameplay.

Cookiedraggy

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2019
Hi everyone! ^w^ First of all, sorry for my lack of posts here. I don’t want to whine but I’ve had some hard times in my personal life and I’m an incredibly thin skinned person, so I couldn’t bring myself to face some of the more toxic messages here towards me. But I want to thank everyone who still cheers me on and who supports me. And a Big Fat Thank You to Stuffie who’s been posting my roundups and shared the builds here so far.

I have read through a lot of the past messages and I can’t address everything, but I see people repeatedly mentioning our rebuilding of the world and I want to address that here.

Rebuilding the world is something we’ve planned to do from the very beginning in 2019 and we have addressed it a bunch of times on our server (there are even pinned messages on that topic), on Twitter and in multiple Weekly Roundups that you can read on both Patreon and Itch.io.

Granted, not everyone is following every update post, so I understand the confusion but I’ll do my best to try and explain our decision to develop the game like this again.

Reason 1) The game and development are non-linear and often don’t run parallel to each other.

Kincaid is going to be a somewhat non-linear platformer - you can go wherever you want and you gain new abilities to progress. During the development, one of the first abilities we implemented was double jump, because it is relatively easy to do that if your character can already jump anyway. So “in” goes the double jump. If you want your players to play around with it, you need to build maps that make use of it.

Then you implement the next ability, and you need content for that, too. Let’s take “Dash” for example. This one came later in the development process and we then built maps around it.

Now, if you look at the game from a completed point of view, would it make sense to acquire a Dash *after* a Double Jump? Game design wise, the Double Jump opens up more maneuverability than a Dash, so in a finished game, it would make sense to get the Dash first and then add a Double Jump on top later.

Reason 2) Secondly, from a finished game’s perspective, does it make sense to acquire all abilities so shortly after one after another, in a single temple? Or would it be more fun to stretch them out over the other two planets we have planned to do and introduce a new ability every so often as you explore the world?

In order to develop the game, you have to build the game systems first, the abilities, figure out the progression and the pacing, and then build the world around that.

In an ideal, non Early Access world, you could just use debug rooms to throw away that will never see the light of day. But we also have to entertain players to support us.

So right from the beginning we said we’re building the levels “to order” to give players something fun to explore and play while we figure out what the game is going to be.

So, knowing that we’d eventually be going to do it, the Big Question was about the right timing.

We thought the timing was perfect now because of a couple of reasons:

1. We hired an environmental artist. While we worked together, we realized that his background art harmonizes well with my characters, but my own background art clashed with his style. So we decided to invest a little bit more into the art and revamp the whole jungle+temple biomes as well as touch up the village to bring everything closer to Fabian’s style. It was a big project and cost a lot of money (we pay him by the hour) but we thought it was worth it to end up with a more coherent game.
  2. We decided to increase the gameplay resolution of the game to make exploration, platforming and combat easier. In the old version many enemies would appear not too far away from you on the screen. Even simple enemies like the bombers were hard to incorporate in levels because they’d either be placed obviously or they’d throw bombs at you from off screen. The more we experimented with new enemy ideas the more it became painfully obvious that our chosen resolution sucked. Knowing we had to rebuild our levels at some point anyway (see above), we decided to coincide the new resolution with the point in time in which we’d be forced to redo the levels.
  3. We expanded on Kincaid’s moveset and abilities: Since Kincaid is a tall character instead of a more roundish or square’ish one, platforming felt a bit awkward at times, especially if you barely missed a jump. We added ledge grabbing, crawling, hand over hand climbing, ziplines, rail grinding and so on. Again, knowing we were going to redo the levels anyway, we decided to build them with these new movement options in mind and also timed it with the completion of the new jungle art getting done.
I hope this sheds some light on the decisions going into our recent development milestones for people who haven’t been following our Roundups and are wondering why suddenly all the old maps are gone. At the moment some of the old content isn’t tied into the game yet, like the Temple of Trials or the Old Ruins, but everything will get connected as we wrap up the redesign of each section.

Next, another question I saw coming up a few times was the future of the CG scenes since they are not game over scenes anymore. They will become in-game content that you unlock by following the main- or sidequests, talk to NPCs etc. and they will then also become unlocked in the gallery, too. We already have ideas for where we’re going to place them and it will just require some minor tweaks in the intros and outros to make them fit.

Thank you for your interest in my game and again, Big Thanks to Stuffi! <3

Cookiedraggy

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2019
fantastic game. the platforming is so satisfying and every bit of the map (at least those with content) feel very well-thought. I had to re-map the controls though, but after remapping it was so smooth I'd play this for the gameplay alone. the pixel art is extremely lusty, so much so I dare to say the game would be perfectly fappable even without the cg's. anyway 10/10 would cum again
Hey thank you so much ^^ Glad you are having fun!

jegg890

Nov 18, 2017
Hi everyone! ^w^ First of all, sorry for my lack of posts here. I don’t want to whine but I’ve had some hard times in my personal life and I’m an incredibly thin skinned person, so I couldn’t bring myself to face some of the more toxic messages here towards me. But I want to thank everyone who still cheers me on and who supports me. And a Big Fat Thank You to Stuffie who’s been posting my roundups and shared the builds here so far.

I have read through a lot of the past messages and I can’t address everything, but I see people repeatedly mentioning our rebuilding of the world and I want to address that here.

Rebuilding the world is something we’ve planned to do from the very beginning in 2019 and we have addressed it a bunch of times on our server (there are even pinned messages on that topic), on Twitter and in multiple Weekly Roundups that you can read on both Patreon and Itch.io.

Granted, not everyone is following every update post, so I understand the confusion but I’ll do my best to try and explain our decision to develop the game like this again.

Reason 1) The game and development are non-linear and often don’t run parallel to each other.

Kincaid is going to be a somewhat non-linear platformer - you can go wherever you want and you gain new abilities to progress. During the development, one of the first abilities we implemented was double jump, because it is relatively easy to do that if your character can already jump anyway. So “in” goes the double jump. If you want your players to play around with it, you need to build maps that make use of it.

Then you implement the next ability, and you need content for that, too. Let’s take “Dash” for example. This one came later in the development process and we then built maps around it.

Now, if you look at the game from a completed point of view, would it make sense to acquire a Dash *after* a Double Jump? Game design wise, the Double Jump opens up more maneuverability than a Dash, so in a finished game, it would make sense to get the Dash first and then add a Double Jump on top later.

Reason 2) Secondly, from a finished game’s perspective, does it make sense to acquire all abilities so shortly after one after another, in a single temple? Or would it be more fun to stretch them out over the other two planets we have planned to do and introduce a new ability every so often as you explore the world?

In order to develop the game, you have to build the game systems first, the abilities, figure out the progression and the pacing, and then build the world around that.

In an ideal, non Early Access world, you could just use debug rooms to throw away that will never see the light of day. But we also have to entertain players to support us.

So right from the beginning we said we’re building the levels “to order” to give players something fun to explore and play while we figure out what the game is going to be.

So, knowing that we’d eventually be going to do it, the Big Question was about the right timing.

We thought the timing was perfect now because of a couple of reasons:

1. We hired an environmental artist. While we worked together, we realized that his background art harmonizes well with my characters, but my own background art clashed with his style. So we decided to invest a little bit more into the art and revamp the whole jungle+temple biomes as well as touch up the village to bring everything closer to Fabian’s style. It was a big project and cost a lot of money (we pay him by the hour) but we thought it was worth it to end up with a more coherent game.
  2. We decided to increase the gameplay resolution of the game to make exploration, platforming and combat easier. In the old version many enemies would appear not too far away from you on the screen. Even simple enemies like the bombers were hard to incorporate in levels because they’d either be placed obviously or they’d throw bombs at you from off screen. The more we experimented with new enemy ideas the more it became painfully obvious that our chosen resolution sucked. Knowing we had to rebuild our levels at some point anyway (see above), we decided to coincide the new resolution with the point in time in which we’d be forced to redo the levels.
  3. We expanded on Kincaid’s moveset and abilities: Since Kincaid is a tall character instead of a more roundish or square’ish one, platforming felt a bit awkward at times, especially if you barely missed a jump. We added ledge grabbing, crawling, hand over hand climbing, ziplines, rail grinding and so on. Again, knowing we were going to redo the levels anyway, we decided to build them with these new movement options in mind and also timed it with the completion of the new jungle art getting done.
I hope this sheds some light on the decisions going into our recent development milestones for people who haven’t been following our Roundups and are wondering why suddenly all the old maps are gone. At the moment some of the old content isn’t tied into the game yet, like the Temple of Trials or the Old Ruins, but everything will get connected as we wrap up the redesign of each section.

Next, another question I saw coming up a few times was the future of the CG scenes since they are not game over scenes anymore. They will become in-game content that you unlock by following the main- or sidequests, talk to NPCs etc. and they will then also become unlocked in the gallery, too. We already have ideas for where we’re going to place them and it will just require some minor tweaks in the intros and outros to make them fit.

Thank you for your interest in my game and again, Big Thanks to Stuffi! <3
this does explain why the new map is so different, and it does help, but it still doesnt explain the question that everyone has been having recently ¿Why did it take so long? you already told us that the enviroment was done by another artists, so you and Null still had their own time, throughout the year only a single enemy was done. not even the smaller enemies were done by now. the only animations i can really recall where the ones you already mentioned, but those are rather small animations with not a huge ammount of frames, with the zipline one not even being finished to this day. it even got to the point that "weekly roundups" sometimes turned into pretty much biweekly roundups. i know you guys had a rough time during november and december, but thats 2 months, not 12. i just feel so frustrated knowing how much the game slowed down during 2022. and that 2023 doesnt seem to get any better

Reactions: dragonsix6969
May 25, 2017
-wall of text-
So this is great and all, but I have a question about the Domcaid change. Will there be any actual incentive from a gameplay perspective to initialize sex scenes? Take for example Crisis Point: Extinction. The incentive there to initiate sex is to heal your player character, which makes sense in the setting. But dom-ing enemies is functionally useless in this game from the gameplay side at the current moment.

I honestly wish you'd revert the original Domcaid change, but I guess that's just me. It well and truly was a mistake in it's implementation and it slows the game to a halt even worse than, well I guess you could call it Subcaid, ever did.

I honestly do like the implementation of non-linear level-design, especially if sequence-breaking abilities become a possibility. Having a non-linear system really helps with the player's feeling of discovery. However the constant, wide open spaces are bothersome and feel like time-wasters. It's fine if it's rare like a big area with branching paths, going back to the Crisis Point example there's one long room in the Overgrowth Zone that has multiple branching paths to it, that but with the most recent version I played it seemed to be every single room. I'm sure once you go further on and make the other paths, you'll go back through and possibly make the design more purposeful.

Last edited:

Freezewood369

Jan 6, 2021
woah! i lost track of these posts and updates etc... :oops:

about something i want to know... there are news and more yuri moments added in this game?, the last time i rembember seeing something like that in this game are these lizard girls who making us the sex pose 69 with them but i lost track of the news contents and images added to this game so yeah. :unsure:

there are some more and newer yuri moments in this games like more patreon images and some new things added on the game?, because i don't want to miss these yuri contents. :sneaky:

May 25, 2017
How so? Before you had a resist mechanic that played animations if you failed, now you just get hit and can continue right away.
Because Kincaid apparently has to have a full conversation with the enemy before any scene plus the control scheme UI plastered all around the screen takes you out of it. With the resist mechanic, you at least had the sex interwoven in the gameplay a little.

Now I know that I don't have to see the sex scenes and I could just "get hit and can continue right away", but if I wanted to play a Metroid-style game without sexual content I'd play a Metroid game. My problem is that the 'Domcaid' serves 0 gameplay purpose for the extra time viewing the dialogue and then the scene. It makes me, the player, not want to go around and view the scenes, which is a huge waste bc the scenes are such high quality. Before you would just take a grapple and either say "yeah I'm into this" or just click the arrow keys a few times (which did not take nearly as long as people were making it out to be).

Nicorondo

Feb 5, 2021
yea i sincerely hope they change the "Domcaid" thing, actually made the game a lil worst which is a shame

Freezewood369

Jan 6, 2021
it reminds me to some part of the final area of the game ''parasite eve 2'' the neo ark part.

24-capture_29022012_004347.jpg

with these jungles and ruins and lake outside of these industrial underground laboratories like a mutants biological zoo.

good thinking. (y):giggle:

but what about of these 3 industrial area of what you shared?, it's looks more like a cyberpunk back alley.

https___apptrigger.com_files_2022_06_Stray5.jpg

is that the supposed city or town stage area of your game?, for me looks very good... but i don't know... for an screenshot, the stage looks a little... uhh... yeah... a night industrial cyberpunk alley of the city, the concept of the stage is good but where do you connect that stage with the dense forest and jungle and valleys of your game?. :unsure:

1257879.jpg

the stage is good for sliding on the cable cords and pipes of these building in a fast paced stage where we jump and duck while we are sliding fast evading some obstacles like some neon lights signs and air conditioners etc... from the stage, what do you have in mind with your stages?. :unsure:

Cookiedraggy

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2019
there are some more and newer yuri moments in this games like more patreon images and some new things added on the game?, because i don't want to miss these yuri contents. :sneaky:
There are no pure new f/f moments in the game at the moment. We are definitely planning more in the future, but the main focus of the game will still be m/f pairings.

Cookiedraggy

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2019
Because Kincaid apparently has to have a full conversation with the enemy before any scene plus the control scheme UI plastered all around the screen takes you out of it. With the resist mechanic, you at least had the sex interwoven in the gameplay a little.
You raise a good point ^^ I'm making a note that we could make the intro dialogues optional.

May 25, 2017
You raise a good point ^^ I'm making a note that we could make the intro dialogues optional.
Also please keep in mind about possibly giving Domcaid gameplay purpose. You could go the Crisis Point route and have it restore health or do you own thing and have it give an... energy orb? The meter under the health bar, I mean.

I do apologize for repeating an opinion you've probably heard 5000 times before, but was my grander point was that if you want it to be a welcome feature it needs gameplay purpose. Thanks for taking what I said into consideration.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 26 Votes