VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 88 Votes

Oh my

Dec 25, 2019
No matter what I do, I'm stuck with Sam?
Is there even a fail-state with her?

Kinda hard to "romance" Megan by breaking our agreement, cheating and lying.

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Mar 16, 2019
Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] Inkalicious

Standard Edition
Original Size Win/Linux: 584 MB
Original Size Mac: 567 MB

Standard Edition
Compressed Size Win/Linux: 283 MB: -
Compressed Size Mac: 266 MB: -

Family Edition
Original Size Win/Linux: 584 MB
Original Size Mac: 567 MB

Family Edition
Compressed Size Win/Linux: 283 MB: -
Compressed Size Mac: 266 MB: -

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:

Last edited:

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
First time poster here. Have to say, while I do love the general zombie plot and post-apocalyptic premise, I simply cannot bear the MC in general. At all.

I do understand that the writer is trying to convey that the past is past and I, as the driver of the MC, should steer him to change, but this guy just won't quit. Even his thought processes are a train-wreck to Jerk Street, A-holeville -- especially while getting him to apologize. For being a completely irrational jerk. God, what a complete jerk!

I couldn't get past chapter 1 at all.

I appreciate what you're trying to achieve here, but I don't think this does anything for me but dredge up buried feelings of disgust over jerks who just wont quit emotionally abusing women I care deeply for. Thanks for that, by the way.

The best part of this game was serving the MC for supper
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sorry, but the feelings that the writing dug up are deep and terribly disconcerting for me. Sad to think that my kudos for this game is better served for other games that don't portray (or is it encourage? or parade?) libido and hormones as rational excuses for a man to persistently, and blamelessly (in the writer's mind?), upsetting women he's supposed to actually care for. In an apocalypse.
You're not alone in having difficulty with the beginning and the MC's behavior. One thing I would say is that I'm approaching this as a writer and don't have misogynistic tendencies, but I'll explain some more below. All of this has been covered before.

VN Games are wide and varied. However the one consistent game type I was seeing at the time of writing, in close group / incest settings, was the following:
Perv on the girls you're supposed to care for, until they realize that they like the attention and willingly open their legs. Treating all of the voyeurism, sleep assault and bodily fluids found in weird places as foreplay.

No judgement. I played and enjoyed many of these games.

But this game, I wanted to start right in the middle of such an approach.
So there's been no build-up. No backstory to let you know how he feels. You're quickly dropped into playing an entitled young guy perving on girls.
But the girls aren't at all impressed with this behavior and it takes the threat of losing his loved ones (and death) to wake him up.

This is another area where I've received some criticism (and I love hearing others point of view on storylines and characters). Spoiler-time as it discusses the general plot.
The MC is never, ever in control of the initial situation. The girls have decided how they're going to deal with him. Yes. You can shape the relationships. Yes, you can continue to be a dick. But the other characters will respond in kind.

The aim of this game is not to get the girls. They got you. The aim is to keep them. And what that might look like.

As for the MC's thinking, there are a few of things at play here.

I wanted to show a young guy, in life-threatening times, dealing with his urges. He does really badly at first but, depending on your decisions, he'll develop. Or not.

There's also a fine line between playing your MC and hearing other's dialogue / attitude that you would never say / think in a million years. I've been stung with games where it was enjoyable until the MC flipped into a rapey, misogynistic asshat on crack. It's a tough one and I've tried to present a character that offers ways to change, whichever direction you choose.

Finally, the production time.
We're a long way down the road and it's Chapter five. When I plotted all of this out, I thought the 'hump' of bedding into the MC would only take a few chapters at most. But I've had to split the chapters down and obviously the release have been... sporadic.

Anyway. Not sure you'll return, or agree with me if you do continue, but it's good to cover this stuff for the newer players. So thanks for offering that opportunity.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
No matter what I do, I'm stuck with Sam?
Is there even a fail-state with her?

Kinda hard to "romance" Megan by breaking our agreement, cheating and lying.
You'll get the chance to change relationships, including stopping, as the story progresses. But also know that not all is as it seems...

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Macgamer

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
Don't really need a walkthrough. Trail and error the bitch.

That said: Glad to see this game resurrected and back. Love the chapter. Still hoping for stud magic with all three, in not more of the ladies. Harem yo.

4.60 star(s) 88 Votes