warbandit

Jun 11, 2018
Leaving my 2 cents as a resident lurker.
Bear with me for the pointless preamble, KoD was a game i supported a few times in early development, and intended to keep throwing some subs every now and then (as i tend to donate to patreon projects by single sub rather than continuous, since i like many projects and don't have disposable income to support everyone).

Before anything else, this post reflects and opinion and is influenced by my personal perception, I want to say i like the creator despite the being a bit disappointed at how the situation turned out and am still hopeful that things will improve.

With that out of the way, i wish to politely disagree with some points being made.

Not every update was disappointing, I for one could accept updates early on as a normal thing since they were starting out, supposedly getting the hang of things on a new engine and laying out groundwork for more and faster content "in the future".
If i had to roughly point out when things started bothering me, i'd say maybe one or two releases before sierra left the project.
After that we had another round of getting used to engines and more assets, and after all that an extra delay.

Also, mentioning a lot of people keep paying for their patreon isn't a great argument when things like malise and the machine kept getting a large number of subscriptions while having nothing to show for it, you can study economy and or sociology to somewhat understand some phenomena that leads to this kind of situation.

A patron asking for results for their investment in an artist isn't unreasonable. Especially when said artist had produced expectations of more and faster content and keeps taking longer and longer for the same/less content.
Hence if patrons are not content it is withing their right to withdraw support until the creator shows that they are actually producing something and actually how patronage as a system is supposed to work (better than the original terms, as kings didn't take kindly to being lead around, tho I would discourage us from returning to barbaric methods even if we could).

That said, I have no idea how big this update is and as such it's a bit too early to draw a conclusion.
For now I am withholding my support (as meager as it is) until my doubts of hreinn are dispelled.
I am somewhat hopeful that this was just a bump in the road as KoD was a notch up in quality to the majority of projects out there.

Anmitsu

Jul 28, 2017
Leaving my 2 cents as a resident lurker.
Bear with me for the pointless preamble, KoD was a game i supported a few times in early development, and intended to keep throwing some subs every now and then (as i tend to donate to patreon projects by single sub rather than continuous, since i like many projects and don't have disposable income to support everyone).

Before anything else, this post reflects and opinion and is influenced by my personal perception, I want to say i like the creator despite the being a bit disappointed at how the situation turned out and am still hopeful that things will improve.

With that out of the way, i wish to politely disagree with some points being made.

Not every update was disappointing, I for one could accept updates early on as a normal thing since they were starting out, supposedly getting the hang of things on a new engine and laying out groundwork for more and faster content "in the future".
If i had to roughly point out when things started bothering me, i'd say maybe one or two releases before sierra left the project.
After that we had another round of getting used to engines and more assets, and after all that an extra delay.

Also, mentioning a lot of people keep paying for their patreon isn't a great argument when things like malise and the machine kept getting a large number of subscriptions while having nothing to show for it, you can study economy and or sociology to somewhat understand some phenomena that leads to this kind of situation.

A patron asking for results for their investment in an artist isn't unreasonable. Especially when said artist had produced expectations of more and faster content and keeps taking longer and longer for the same/less content.
Hence if patrons are not content it is withing their right to withdraw support until the creator shows that they are actually producing something and actually how patronage as a system is supposed to work (better than the original terms, as kings didn't take kindly to being lead around, tho I would discourage us from returning to barbaric methods even if we could).

That said, I have no idea how big this update is and as such it's a bit too early to draw a conclusion.
For now I am withholding my support (as meager as it is) until my doubts of hreinn are dispelled.
I am somewhat hopeful that this was just a bump in the road as KoD was a notch up in quality to the majority of projects out there.
Feddora tipping intensifies gif.gif

Sinvx

Aug 9, 2017
Called it. You guys defending this don't seem to understand. All this is, is to lock current patreons in for the next pay cycle. How many people are gonna stop pledging as soon as the game is out? Quite a few, they tend to drop about $1000-$1500 after every release, because of the long development cycle, with very little said during that period from the Devs. It's cash grab, 0.9 will release in October.

Also these guys are lazy as fuck, there are so many different ways for them to do things easier and faster, even if not faster, frequent Status updates would keep most patreons engaged in the project. They just don't care, it's just easy money to them.
Nomo himself already said how long it takes him to make 1 CG scene, cause he adds 100's upon 100's of layers on one CG, for what?

When you go from an average of $7500 a month to $4000 a month, you are clearly doing something wrong. Only time they get an increase is around updates, and that's why they are delaying at the end of the month.

Stop dick riding. They do not deserve your money with this kind of work ethic.

FlipFish

Oct 23, 2017
Stop dick riding. They do not deserve your money with this kind of work ethic.
Good thing they don't get my money then. I don't think anybody is blatantly "dick riding" the game in this thread, for most people when it comes out it comes out. People just don't really care for it given the delays and how lackluster the past few updates were.

Sinvx

Aug 9, 2017
Good thing they don't get my money then. I don't think anybody is blatantly "dick riding" the game in this thread, for most people when it comes out it comes out. People just don't really care for it given the delays and how lackluster the past few updates were.
There are a couple dick riders defending everything they do, cause they are gullible. It's also evident the problem lies with Nomo. Siera pumps out shit like it's nothing, but couldn't do that on this project, probably why she left. Nomo drags his feet, and things got worse after she left.

Sinvx

Aug 9, 2017
Honestly, I firmly disagree with anyone who thinks 0.9 will be a disappointment. I personally predict that it will be far better than any previous update, and I can't wait for my grandchildren to get the opportunity to experience it.
The devs pretty much stated it's going to be lack luster lol.

ASMADEUS

Jun 4, 2017
So, you seriously think they ll come up with another excuse and postpone it even further to october?
After 1 day delay and promise to make the fix in 1 day? Do you really believe they r that silly, even if all you throws in here about their cash vanity is true?

Bytrain

Oct 7, 2017
The devs pretty much stated it's going to be lack luster lol.
I mean, according to this thread, every update since 0.2 was shit. I really dont get why people keep coming back for a game that keep getting worse and worse for two an a half years...

bauman

Sep 11, 2018
I mean, according to this thread, every update since 0.2 was shit. I really dont get why people keep coming back for a game that keep getting worse and worse for two an a half years...
Not many western 2dcg game with good art. I don't think most people commenting here think the game is shit, but most likely have higher expectations when you consider the fact how ambitious and hyped up this project was early on.

Anmitsu

Jul 28, 2017
So, you seriously think they ll come up with another excuse and postpone it even further to october?
After 1 day delay and promise to make the fix in 1 day? Do you really believe they r that silly, even if all you throws in here about their cash vanity is true?
You've to admit - it'd be hilarious.

Reactions: Bytrain

Viressa

May 24, 2018
I think it's literally just that they liked Noxian Nights and keep coming back to this game because they want it to be Noxian Nights 2. They'll keep coming back and bitching endlessly that it doesn't meet their expectations, but will keep coming back no matter what.

Bytrain

Oct 7, 2017
Not many western 2dcg game with good art. I don't think most people commenting here think the game is shit, but most likely have higher expectations when you consider the fact how ambitious and hyped up this project was early on.
Againg, people were calling every update a "disappointment" since the beggining. Its been two years, give up. They wont speed up or give more CG. 5-6 months with 4-5 CG is a new (well, technically old) norm, you should live with it. I really don't see the point of coming back and complainig again and again and again...

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
I will just note. Short release cycles are hell. I would know. There are lots of good reasons not to run on short releases. I can also say that a single artist doing one CG with multiple variants takes awhile. Nomo also does the character models as well. I'm not sure if he does the backgrounds too.

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes