4.80 star(s) 37 Votes
Feb 24, 2021
Uh... no, there's many examples of them changing stuff and bragging about it. AI: The Sominium Files is one of the examples of them keeping it the way it was orginally.

One of the many examples is Dragon Maid Kobayashi where they completely changed a line and made it about the patriarchy.

Varishangouts keeps track of censorship and shows side by side comparison of the many examples of them changing stuff constantly.
And this bad actor from several years ago represents the entire localization industry, much less the localization industry today, how...? I realize there is such thing as a bad actor in the most minor, rare occurrences. Sure, if you blow it up and press a microscope on it, you can pretend it's a prevalent issue. Any proof that to this year of 2024, it is?

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
And this bad actor from several years ago represents the entire localization industry, much less the localization industry today, how...? I realize there is such thing as a bad actor in the most minor, rare occurrences. Sure, if you blow it up and press a microscope on it, you can pretend it's a prevalent issue. Any proof that to this year of 2024, it is?

Do you read? VARISHANGOUT SEVERAL EXAMPLES.

The game talked about at one point 13 sentinels:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I can keep going, you want me to?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021

Thank you for actually providing what seem like sourced examples. You were a little rude about it, but I was rude first, so no harm no foul. You are literally the only person I have seen in a forum space recently do that concerning this topic

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
Thank you for actually providing what seem like sourced examples. You were a little rude about it, but I was rude first, so no harm no foul. You are literally the only person I have seen in a forum space recently do that concerning this topic

Yep, I come off how people come off to me. I'm also tired of people not reading what I say, then saying you didn't do *insert example here, when I did, they just didn't want to read. I understand at points, because I do walls of text, but it's because I have a lot to say, and I have problems summarizing points.

It is what it is though.

If you're interested this is a pretty good video talking about this stuff throughout the years:

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

I've seen the 13 sentinels one.
I played the game. He's literally non-binary.
It's not exclusively about him dressing as a girl to "not be detected."
There's a whole scene where he specifically dresses up as a girl for his love interest. No hiding or anything involved.

Cause in 13 sentinels every individual guy has a girl pair as well, except those 2.

There's more dialogue about presenting yourself throughout the game that didn't get marked by the anti-localizer brigade.
Yeah, the guy who presents as both a guy and girl on his own convenience is being called non-binary. Whoopsie doo. It's literally in the original game.
___
Both Fire Emblem localizations are literally due to Nintendo of America.

Even the translators complained that they had to write it that way, because including gay characters might've bumped up the age rating or some nonsense.

The Ninjas specifically.
Japan's CERO is way more lax than the ESRB about that kinda stuff.
___
Now regarding your twitter wall.

I will say this.

Not everyone in every industry is perfect. I wouldn't paint broad brush strokes on the industry because of that. Some of the most difficult and controversial Light Novels out there have perfect translations like No Game No Life. Doesn't shy away from saying lolicon or wtv.

Hell not even that wall has all bad shit. DeepMagenta's post is literally correct.
I'mma screen it and write it up.

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
I've seen the 13 sentinels one.
I played the game. He's literally non-binary.
It's not exclusively about him dressing as a girl to "not be detected."
There's a whole scene where he specifically dresses up as a girl for his love interest. No hiding or anything involved.

Cause in 13 sentinels every individual guy has a girl pair as well, except those 2.

There's more dialogue about presenting yourself throughout the game that didn't get marked by the anti-localizer brigade.
Yeah, the guy who presents as both a guy and girl on his own convenience is being called non-binary. Whoopsie doo. It's literally in the original game.
___
Both Fire Emblem localizations are literally due to Nintendo of America.

Even the translators complained that they had to write it that way, because including gay characters might've bumped up the age rating or some nonsense.

The Ninjas specifically.
Japan's CERO is way more lax than the ESRB about that kinda stuff.
___
Now regarding your twitter wall.

I will say this.

Not everyone in every industry is perfect. I wouldn't paint broad brush strokes on the industry because of that. Some of the most difficult and controversial Light Novels out there have perfect translations like No Game No Life. Doesn't shy away from saying lolicon or wtv.

Hell not even that wall has all bad shit. DeepMagenta's post is literally correct.
I'mma screen it and write it up.

I'm going to just say this, and leave it there. Localizers have a bad rap across the board, all because of self righteous pretentious pricks like these people. They literally think they know better then the original creator, yes you shouldn't do a 100% 1 to 1 translation, but it should be as close as possible to the source, they don't do that though, they constantly completely change the context and intent of the lines, and it winds up coming off completely different then the original did.

Changing lines here and there is fine as long as it's keeping as close as possible to the original. Instead you get them inserting memes that become outdated quickly, cringey dialogue, etc. I'm not going to go through every single example I can find to try to prove a point when it seems pointless to specific people because their mind is made up, and that's fine.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I'm going to just say this, and leave it there. Localizers have a bad rap across the board, all because of self righteous pretentious pricks like these people. They literally think they know better then the original creator, yes you shouldn't do a 100% 1 to 1 translation, but it should be as close as possible to the source, they don't do that though, they constantly completely change the context and intent of the lines, and it winds up coming off completely different then the original did.

Changing lines here and there is fine as long as it's keeping as close as possible to the original. Instead you get them inserting memes that become outdated quickly, cringey dialogue, etc. I'm not going to go through every single example I can find to try to prove a point when it seems pointless to specific people because their mind is made up, and that's fine.
Me personally, as long as the intent is the same, changing dialogue to feel more natural in your language is completely fine.

Like if a Japanese yakuza character in the yakuza series goes "konoyaro," there's a bunch of ways to translate that. British English localizers might translate that differently from US localizers, and to me that's completely fine.

On the topic of Fire Emblem and weird decisions that do change the intent of the original work, I agree with you. I don't want that. But I'm not in the room for every decision made and why they're made. Putting on a tinfoil hat and saying it's because of politics that they're removing gay relationships or changing one of the supports to not be as rapey is out of my purview personally.

Fates didn't have the best main story, and the intent of the main story got along just fine to me.

And like... let's not get it twisted, they do a great job 99% of the time. The phoenix wright PC releases were very beloved, which goes back to the original topic of Asimof not wanting anyone trying to translate his game.

- He'd expand his market.
- No one was decompiling his game to get to root files to do it, so it wasn't like anyone was modifying anything he was doing or seeing stuff they shouldn't be seeing.
- There is no downside.

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
Me personally, as long as the intent is the same, changing dialogue to feel more natural in your language is completely fine.

Like if a Japanese yakuza character in the yakuza series goes "konoyaro," there's a bunch of ways to translate that. British English localizers might translate that differently from US localizers, and to me that's completely fine.

On the topic of Fire Emblem and weird decisions that do change the intent of the original work, I agree with you. I don't want that. But I'm not in the room for every decision made and why they're made. Putting on a tinfoil hat and saying it's because of politics that they're removing gay relationships or changing one of the supports to not be as rapey is out of my purview personally.

Fates didn't have the best main story, and the intent of the main story got along just fine to me.

And like... let's not get it twisted, they do a great job 99% of the time. The phoenix wright PC releases were very beloved, which goes back to the original topic of Asimof not wanting anyone trying to translate his game.

- He'd expand his market.
- No one was decompiling his game to get to root files to do it, so it wasn't like anyone was modifying anything he was doing or seeing stuff they shouldn't be seeing.
- There is no downside.

Fates removed a skinship feature completely in the west, that dialogue with beruka (belka) and Saizou is all ........ because "ninjas are quiet" (cringe as hell and not funny), whereas in the japanese version as shown side by side to the english one, has tons more dialogue, the english one ends in like 5 seconds, the japanese one takes like 1-2 minutes+

Phoneix wright is one of the worst localizations, it has a whole comic making fun of it:

And no, they don't do a "good job 99% of the time", they're constantly botching most things. I've seen them make all kinds of excuses like "I couldn't translate this any other way", and that's bullshit, because I've seen people call them out and say you could have said it *insert 3-4 other ways, nothing was said back to defend against that.

I have a twitter video from a N.I.S. america stream of trails of cold steel IV I believe (could be 3 not sure), that they literally admit to taking out "offensive" things. That right there is a massive red flag, it's not their job to coddle and baby people, it's their job to translate as close as possible, and they fail that job, hence why A.I. is starting to be pushed in translations.

I'll leave you with one last example, seven seas one of the worst publishers for manga that constantly change stuff, recently completely changed a manga from it being about a cross dresser, to it being about a trans character. The original author found out and was pissed, seven seas apologized and changed it. That's def an agenda.

So once again, I'm going to just end this here man, and agree to disagree. I don't expect 100% 1 to 1 translation, but all the shit I've seen they constantly change things with an agenda in mind and think they know better, that's what I've witnessed 99% of the time.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Phoneix wright is one of the worst localizations, it has a whole comic making fun of it:
1722926996776.png
Really?

Fates removed a skinship feature completely in the west, that dialogue with beruka (belka) and Saizou is all ........ because "ninjas are quiet" (cringe as hell and not funny), whereas in the japanese version as shown side by side to the english one, has tons more dialogue, the english one ends in like 5 seconds, the japanese one takes like 1-2 minutes+
Bro, I already explained that T_T.
That's Nintendo of America making those changes so the game's more marketable in the west, and being extra cautious of the ESRB. Has nothing to do with the localizers.

I'll leave you with one last example, seven seas one of the worst publishers for manga that constantly change stuff, recently completely changed a manga from it being about a cross dresser, to it being about a trans character. The original author found out and was pissed, seven seas apologized and changed it. That's def an agenda.
I'm with you on that one.

And no, they don't do a "good job 99% of the time", they're constantly botching most things. I've seen them make all kinds of excuses like "I couldn't translate this any other way", and that's bullshit, because I've seen people call them out and say you could have said it *insert 3-4 other ways, nothing was said back to defend against that.

I have a twitter video from a N.I.S. america stream of trails of cold steel IV I believe (could be 3 not sure), that they literally admit to taking out "offensive" things. That right there is a massive red flag, it's not their job to coddle and baby people, it's their job to translate as close as possible, and they fail that job, hence why A.I. is starting to be pushed in translations.
We don't know the reasoning.
It could be they're trying to avoid an M rating.

Daybreak didn't care about that, and included lots of murder, and even attempted rape with the same localizer so we can't jump to conclusions on what lead to those decisions. If the intent of the narrative is unaffected though, don't worry about it.

So once again, I'm going to just end this here man, and agree to disagree. I don't expect 100% 1 to 1 translation, but all the shit I've seen they constantly change things with an agenda in mind and think they know better, that's what I've witnessed 99% of the time.
Yeah you know what... fair.

I feel like we're at an impasse on this and are derailing the topic anyways. Appreciate the well meaning and non-toxic discussion.

Reactions: BarbaricLizard

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
View attachment 3903515
Really?

Bro, I already explained that T_T.
That's Nintendo of America making those changes so the game's more marketable in the west, and being extra cautious of the ESRB. Has nothing to do with the localizers.

I'm with you on that one.

We don't know the reasoning.
It could be they're trying to avoid an M rating.

Daybreak didn't care about that, and included lots of murder, and even attempted rape with the same localizer so we can't jump to conclusions on what lead to those decisions. If the intent of the narrative is unaffected though, don't worry about it.

Yeah you know what... fair.

I feel like we're at an impasse on this and are derailing the topic anyways. Appreciate the well meaning and non-toxic discussion.

Yep, the video I linked in the last part in my talk with bound in chains, summarizes it best.

"People get the western version of a game, and don't care about the original"

That's the problem, people just accept all kinds of mediocre slop nowadays, it's why the gaming industry is garbage now.

Constantly I see people making all kinds of excuses and just enabling this stuff to continue: "It's not that big of a deal", "the new version is better", "I like the censored stuff better", etc etc.

I see fans thankfully translating/retranslating stuff mostly faithfully most of the time, but unfortunately there's some that are just as bad if not worse then the "offical" translators.

Someone recently put in cut content in breath of fire IV, hotspring scene, and a dengeki bunko ( I think I said that right), store in the game, and also the scan ability, I think they also may have retranslated the game ( could be wrong on that though)

All of these people can just be linked to one picture/meme:
1722927584762.png

Have a good one though man. Hopefully we'll get some news about labyrinth of estras soonish, though I don't really like the guy for his anti-gaijin stuff much like the robf creator, though the latter is much worse and more extreme, I hope he is doing well.

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020

Oh, I have tons of these saved on my HDD already and it's happening not only in games but in anime (sup Crunchyroll) as well. The best part? They love pushing their shit onto viewer and then brag about it openly - name and company in bio - on twitter. And that's just the very tip of EGD/DEI iceberg.

Reactions: Sarojin

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
I love it when people complain about wokeness being inserted into their japanese vidja games and then as evidence they post a picture of a girl saying "I'm non-binary, the dress makes it easier to pretend I'm a normal girl" and then the real translation is "I don't really feel like a boy, the dress makes it easier to hide myself"

And they act like that's a mistranslation or some shit

Some people really do just be weird about the most random shit

Sarojin

Jul 9, 2017
I love it when people complain about wokeness being inserted into their japanese vidja games and then as evidence they post a picture of a girl saying "I'm non-binary, the dress makes it easier to pretend I'm a normal girl" and then the real translation is "I don't really feel like a boy, the dress makes it easier to hide myself"

And they act like that's a mistranslation or some shit

I never once said "woke" anywhere in my postings, nice try. There's tons of evidence that localization has been botched, I can't help people refuse to view it, skill issue.

Also, please read things FULLY and don't take something I said out of context, the pictures right there to see in the spoiler, but here it is again.

English: "Let's say some binaries work for me, and others don't This lets me hide the fact that I'm even alive.

Japanese: "This is more convenient for me" "It lets me keep it a secret that I'm alive"

Meanwhile complete misinterpretation of those parts:
"I'm non-binary, the dress makes it easier to pretend I'm a normal girl" and then the real translation is "I don't really feel like a boy, the dress makes it easier to hide myself"

Yep, I'm clearly seeing it there!, actually no I'm not. The difference I'm seeing if I'm to believe this specific part of the original japanese translation, nowhere is"non-binary" mentioned, but this doesn't surprise me as a character in another game (might be this same one, not sure), they translated him being a tsundere, into "fragile male ego", but yep, I trust localizers!

Once again: "Don't ask questions, just consume product and get excited for next product!"

Last edited:

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
"The cook shat all over the dish you've paid for, why are you being so weird about it? It's part of localization of foreign cuisine."
And the cook is rainbow/trans flag/hammer and sickle emoji/pronounces in bio/feminist etc. says "Yup, that's funny as shit and I'll do it all over again to spite you. What are you gonna do about it?"
They have ONE job and they can't do it. And somehow I'm the one being weird.

Reactions: Sarojin

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
You are being weird, though. Nobody shat in your soup, you got the soup you ordered and you're mad it's not the one you imagined.

Half those examples aren't mistranslations, they're just not word-for-word blind translations of the Japanese... Which is being a good translator!

Reactions: Arctif

Minishotgun

May 10, 2017
Can we please NOT talk about the issue about Localizers being disingenuous jerks that purposefully use a certain choice of words you only see in socio-political online circles in their translations, on a fucking pornsite?

i'm here to find stuff i can jerk off to, if i wanna discuss this stuff i can go back to Reddit or Twitter, or god-forbid, ancient Tumblr posts. i may have my own views on this whole shitshow, but i really don't feel like discussing the stuff here. i already had a meltdown today, i don't need one for tomorrow.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 37 Votes