Others Lamiya the Light Elf Chapter 1: Birth [v1.0] [JohnDoboe]

3.90 star(s) 11 Votes

iron4doves

Dec 28, 2018
It's unfortunate but you probably would have gotten more traction if the game was fully tagged. I see the genre spoiler on OP has the male protagonist in the list, but there is no tag on the thread. Also, judging by this picture, it should also have vaginal sex at least.

I haven't played the game but I wonder if others have been missed. Here's the list of tags supported on this site, since you're the dev/OP I assume you can change them... If not, you can report the OP and mods will handle it based on your comment

Context: I almost always browse updates with filters on, male protag is on 99% of the time. I only found this game because I am specifically browsing games without any protag identified (sometimes those games are good, and sometimes there are errors like this one).

johndoboe

DYG founder
Game Developer
Nov 28, 2022
It's unfortunate but you probably would have gotten more traction if the game was fully tagged. I see the genre spoiler on OP has the male protagonist in the list, but there is no tag on the thread. Also, judging by this picture, it should also have vaginal sex at least.

I haven't played the game but I wonder if others have been missed. Here's the list of tags supported on this site, since you're the dev/OP I assume you can change them... If not, you can report the OP and mods will handle it based on your comment

Context: I almost always browse updates with filters on, male protag is on 99% of the time. I only found this game because I am specifically browsing games without any protag identified (sometimes those games are good, and sometimes there are errors like this one).
...I didn't see the thread tags:oops:. Thanks for letting me know

Jul 29, 2019
johndoboe I think this has a lot of potential! It's obviously still a pretty basic proof of concept at the moment, but here are some of my observations:
  1. The basic attack works, but the considerable wind-up can make it feel somewhat unresponsive, and hitting an enemy requires a lot of timing to ensure that they don't run into you before the hitbox is active. There's a reason the top-down Legend of Zelda games use a simple, quick thrust of the sword as the attack—it provides instant feedback. That being said, I think the larger sweep would work well paired with a jab as an attack with higher damage and a larger hitbox, but at the cost of windup; that would allow for engaging moment-to-moment risk-and-reward assessment by the player.
  2. The AI for the dark elves is a real pain to fight. It strikes me as sort of a naïve solution that sounds good on paper—giving an enemy the same attack as the player puts you on even ground—but that fails in practice. Right now, their AI has perfect, inhuman timing, meaning if a player is in range, they attack the second their previous attack is finished, which leaves next to no gaps in which to counter, besides a kind of cheesy strategy where you hit them with the very edge of your hitbox. Adding delay between attack attempts, plus maybe an audio cue or other telegraph, might help with this.
  3. Having defeated, fuckable enemies also still be objects you can bat around is actually kind of a fun concept, I don't think I've seen it done before. But it should be more clear when attacking them that more hits won't do anything (maybe by removing the hitflash).
  4. For lack of a better way to say it… just make sure not to get racist with the light elf/dark elf stuff. I don't think that's your intention at all, to be clear! Just something to be sensitive to as you continue development.

Reactions: johndoboe
Mar 6, 2021
johndoboe I think this has a lot of potential! It's obviously still a pretty basic proof of concept at the moment, but here are some of my observations:
  1. The basic attack works, but the considerable wind-up can make it feel somewhat unresponsive, and hitting an enemy requires a lot of timing to ensure that they don't run into you before the hitbox is active. There's a reason the top-down Legend of Zelda games use a simple, quick thrust of the sword as the attack—it provides instant feedback. That being said, I think the larger sweep would work well paired with a jab as an attack with higher damage and a larger hitbox, but at the cost of windup; that would allow for engaging moment-to-moment risk-and-reward assessment by the player.
  2. The AI for the dark elves is a real pain to fight. It strikes me as sort of a naïve solution that sounds good on paper—giving an enemy the same attack as the player puts you on even ground—but that fails in practice. Right now, their AI has perfect, inhuman timing, meaning if a player is in range, they attack the second their previous attack is finished, which leaves next to no gaps in which to counter, besides a kind of cheesy strategy where you hit them with the very edge of your hitbox. Adding delay between attack attempts, plus maybe an audio cue or other telegraph, might help with this.
  3. Having defeated, fuckable enemies also still be objects you can bat around is actually kind of a fun concept, I don't think I've seen it done before. But it should be more clear when attacking them that more hits won't do anything (maybe by removing the hitflash).
  4. For lack of a better way to say it… just make sure not to get racist with the light elf/dark elf stuff. I don't think that's your intention at all, to be clear! Just something to be sensitive to as you continue development.
Lolno, why should he not put racist content? There's gangrape and guro games on this site and you're worried about racism lmao.

johndoboe

DYG founder
Game Developer
Nov 28, 2022
Thank you very much for writing this. You make a lot of good points! and point number 4 don't worry about it, that is not my intention and it will not be evident to people immersed in the story. thank you for considering it though and Dental Planger makes a good point that there is some "stuff" on this platform.

freenutsxd

Jul 22, 2017
From what I've played so far, I think this game has huge potential and I'm excited to see if you continue with the project! The art and animations overall seem fantastic so far, both in CG and in-game, and your choice to avoid RPGMaker has me curious to see just what you have in mind for the rest of the game. As some others have noted the combat feels a little off when fighting dark elves, but that's something that can be fixed in development of course. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: johndoboe

Jhon117

Jun 27, 2017
Oh, I don't know why that's happening... this is my first game. I'm using the godot game engine maybe that's why? I'll look into it. Thanks
found this idk if that info is related or if it helps

MAD MARC

Dec 6, 2019
I think also this game has unbelievable Potential. I give You 4 Stars for that and some Ideas for the game from me.

I will be looking for future-updates with interest.

3.90 star(s) 11 Votes