JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
2.5+ millon words. Such a number!

Also, new update would show highest render-to-word ratio since 0.13.0*

* Assuming 60k+ and 750+ are exact numbers

Dec 31, 2021
Obligatory "I INSTALLED CARE PACKAGES WITHOUT READING AND NOW WHAT???/DOES ANYBODY HAVE A COMPLETE SAVE????" post. :p

That being said, I've been lurking here since early into Chapter 2 and just want to say that this place has helped me to appreciate the plot of this game and enjoy my time with it. You guys are great, and a post from a bit back saying that some "new blood" would be good for conversation got me thinking its time to stop just lurking.

I can't promise I'll add anything amazing, but I would like to join in finally. This community has provided me with many hours of excellent content in addition to the maze that is the base game. You guys should be getting paid for this shit. I'm looking at you, DeSkel15. If LiL had an appendix, I think it would just be a link to your compiled posts.

Lux Perpetua

Oct 2, 2017
I have exactly 222 games on steam (that number surprised me for it's sheer consecutiveness) and yet i cannot find one i want to play... this update cannot come soon enough, i'm bored to tears...
Same. In my case, it's mostly because Sel has raised the bar on the quality of story writing in VN so high that i now can't stop subconsciously noticing flaws in that aspect in other games. Right now i'm trying to kill time reading Summer Heat and i can't stop cringing from the dialog between characters, it's so bad. It's like watching The Room with Tommy Wiseau all over again.

ratmanirl

Nov 25, 2022
Sure, it is unique in its history and its impact, but is it unique because of Selebus' fragility, or was it unique because of what Selebus once wanted it to be? And does that still hold up with what it is today?

I feel like a question like this could be infinitely revisited since LiL is stated to be a continuously progressing narrative with no end in sight. To illustrate this, we know so little about what the foundational state of LiL is supposed to be, specifically because one of the main points of LiL is that we are not supposed to understand it. Since we cannot objectively understand many aspects of it, theoretically anything can happen to change constants we presume to understand already, and we would be none the wiser if it is intentional, a retcon, a revision, or normal progression. The fantastical nature of LiL means literally anything can occur, and it could seamlessly flow through the story or be explained away as some expected anomaly necessary to fulfill a point of the narrative we might not know about. Is that good writing or a weakness? It may be impossible to tell.

I'm particularly interested in the concept of the death of the author and supremacy of the reader. With the unique development behind LiL, the author could theoretically be replaced by anyone for a moment, and it might be impossible for us as readers to know the difference. LiL is so narratively incomprehensible that anything could happen, and we would have no choice but to accept it as if it were supposed to be there. We might not be able to identify mistakes or breaks of logic, or the feasibility of deus-ex spider-angel Gods, or characters not acting the way they should, simply because we still don't understand the 'rules' of the story or what the story should be. Or anything for that matter.

... Or maybe that's the point, though: to intentionally make trying to understand anything pointless. Kudos to Maya for not understanding anything of her world after how many years; I feel like we barely understood anything in four.
I mean, fundamentally it's not hard to understand. It's one of those games that basically try to be a subversion of the common dating sim, in both that the common goal (of picking up all the chicks) leads to your downfall, and that you really don't have much control despite having the illusion where it seems like you do. All the background stuff, while cool I guess, is ultimately just for worldbuilding and mystery. Remove all of those elements, and the theme of the story remains the exact same, which is the actual important part.

Sel isn't really replaceable because that's the entire appeal of the game, for better or for worse. It's obviously not very good writing when the author themselves is so apparent within the characters, but it also allows for a sort of intimacy and bareness that most people just aren't willing to do in their stories.

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
I hate Selly for creating such a good game that makes me literally look at almost every VN game and my games on Stem and think "It's not even close to LIL or I wish I was playing LIL right now" but does anyone else feel that way?

And regarding the true end of LIL after the pure routes, what do you genuinely think it will be? I've seen theories that Akira is in a coma, virtual reality, a world of madness, purgatory, theories that only Akira and Maya truly exist.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I hate Selly for creating such a good game that makes me literally look at almost every VN game and my games on Stem and think "It's not even close to LIL or I wish I was playing LIL right now" but does anyone else feel that way?
LiL hasn't really ruined me for other games, like, at all. It's still the game i most look forward to updates of but for me personally, i don't really think the writing is all that amazing, in fact i find a lot of it to be pretentious waffle. No, what has me so hooked on the game is the characterization, it's the characters and their stories that have me so hooked, i want to see where shit goes with them. Also, it's rare to find a dark story in an AVN that isn't just edgelord 'imma be EviL'.

I guess you could argue that it is the writing that makes the characterization good but then i gotta ask everyone to specify what parts of the writing they mean when they say they love the writing. Do you mean the character interaction? The philosophical monologues? The interconnecting writing between those two facets?

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Bit concerned about the April fools day release date.
Sel's entire fan base when it turns out this update release was just a prank, and it's actually a few weeks behind:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And regarding the true end of LIL after the pure routes, what do you genuinely think it will be? I've seen theories that Akira is in a coma, virtual reality, a world of madness, purgatory, theories that only Akira and Maya truly exist.
I definitely think when it comes to writing, LiL is in a league of it's own, but I usually play any games that catch my interest just to see what the creator has to say. For example, I recently spent a week learning the history of Mortal Kombat just because I was curious.

As for the True End, I'm hoping it doesn't end with Sensei waking up in the classroom, back in Chapter 1, thinking he reincarnated while wondering who the red head with twin tails is. That'd be so cliché.

I'd much prefer it being revealed that everyone's dead and creatures impersonating and thinking they are the dead girls, have simply been playing the parts of the characters we know, including Sensei, all for the entertainment of another. Presumably what's at the center that Yomiel mentioned:
And probably whatever is above Nao, considering she's just a shinier cog in a much bigger machine according to herself:

Genuinely, I'm not sure. Learning how this all started could change everything.

4.20 star(s) 292 Votes