Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Never been able to stay awake through it, and I've largely forgotten the bits I've seen.
(This is true for most Kubrick films)
So… a three-hour movie is too long, but a 2-million-word work-in-progress totally has your attention? (I kid, I kid.)

The climax of the 1969 film features a scene where a computer sings “Daisy” — which is like saying The Shining features a writer quoting Ed McMahon from the Tonight Show.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
So… a three-hour movie is too long, but a 2-million-word work-in-progress totally has your attention? (I kid, I kid.)

The climax of the 1969 film features a scene where a computer sings “Daisy” — which is like saying The Shining features a writer quoting Ed McMahon from the Tonight Show.
It's not the length, it's the pacing. There is nothing in the early part of the film that grabs my interest, so I doze off. The Shining and Clockwork Orange were the only Kubrick films I can think of that grabbed me early enough to prevent this.

Reactions: Antosha

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
It's not the length, it's the pacing. There is nothing in the early part of the film that grabs my interest, so I doze off. The Shining and Clockwork Orange were the only Kubrick films I can think of that grabbed me early enough to prevent this.
I get it. I mean, I'm the weirdo whose profile avatar is Anton freaking Chekhov. I'm okay with stuff that isn't adrenaline-fueled.

A lot actually happens in the movie — but none of it is spelled out. I do know it's not to everyone's taste.

ETA: I'm going to say that I'm kind of hoping that Selebus doesn't explain everything that's going on in LiL. That there's always room for interpretation and debate. I mean, it's about a descent into madness, either literal or figurative, and I'm not sure that any hard and fast clarification by the author would be completely satisfying. So whether this is all a dream while Sensei is in a coma after trying to kill himself or this is somehow actually happening — supernatural powers are forcing this group to relive the same school year over and over and over and over.... I don't know that I want to know. (Which doesn't stop me from wanting to talk with all of you about it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Apollo259

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
Looks like Sel met his 10k stretch goal. That means the bonus Rin and Sana animation will come with the next update.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yes
That means the bonus Rin and Sana animation will come with the next update.
No. He has to many excuses not to use them

No, that song is considered to be the first "robot" song or something like that. That's why it's widely used among some creators.
Sounds like all of them are cloning lil

Beate

Oct 16, 2020
You guessed it, it's time Moonflare ranted on why Himawari's name is Ami again. This will be kinda short (I tried guys) since it's just a new piece of information to add to the rest (there is a second one at the end though).
Sorry if you've already explained this somewhere else, but my thought was that she is Akira and Ayane's child that got "erased" from the time skip.

That would explain why she refuses to take on Ayane's form as the only stipulation of what she won't do. They also allude to how she is not supposed to "be there yet". I took that as that was her from "the future" if it had ever come to pass. But since she was swallowed by the time loop, that she could be any age technically.

Then she jumped in and helped Ayane out after Ami abandoned her in the woods. (I could see the Ami argument kind of here, since maybe she explained to Ayane how she was the real Ami and told her some information that gave her the confidence to confront "Ami").

The fact that you gave a name earlier too, made me feel that the name reveal for her would be whatever name you gave before when it asked.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Moonflare

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Sorry if you've already explained this somewhere else, but my thought was that she is Akira and Ayane's child that got "erased" from the time skip.

That would explain why she refuses to take on Ayane's form as the only stipulation of what she won't do. They also allude to how she is not supposed to "be there yet". I took that as that was her from "the future" if it had ever come to pass. But since she was swallowed by the time loop, that she could be any age technically.

Then she jumped in and helped Ayane out after Ami abandoned her in the woods. (I could see the Ami argument kind of here, since maybe she explained to Ayane how she was the real Ami and told her some information that gave her the confidence to confront "Ami").

The fact that you gave a name earlier too, made me feel that the name reveal for her would be whatever name you gave before when it asked.
Well, there are a few things of note. It's not impossible that Himawari is the baby that was taken with the reset, but it's just as likely that she isn't because she already showed up way before it, as early as "the room with clocks"/"scientific research". So, if she had to time travel to show up before our Ayane got pregnant, then it's just as likely that she could be the baby of a million other Ayanes, or this one in a later point in time. If not, then we'd have to assume that Himawari's first existence is within our current cycle and that she somehow time-travelled. If she was the baby of another Ayane at another time, then she grew up in her own time and it's acting in this new cycle as well (after all that happened). I don't see enough evidence yet to declare it either way.

I, personally, am not that keen on finding that detail out specifically because the whole Himawari thing is that she's a possibility. Survival is her number one goal, as put forward by DeSkel. So I think, at the moment, she probably both is and isn't a lot of things (AmIOkay may have been referring to her as the paradox in "december 2020"). However, it must be said that if she was this Ayane's baby that got taken, she would be more of a thing that shouldn't exist than a possibility. And we already have a thing that shouldn't exist, which is Nao-chan. I don't really see both of them being of the same nature.

Regarding her name, if it was as simple as choosing the name yourself, then the reveal already happened. It's on the event where you meet New Maya at the temple in chapter 4, when that entity that slaps you is talking to you, it will make mention of a baby in its belly, and it will use the name you chose for Himawari.

However, the name you chose for her and her actual name are very likely to be two different things. That is because her actual name was chosen by Ayane, not Akira. As Himawari is telling us Ayane's thoughts (in "untitled"), she said that her name was chosen as one that she's sure Akira would like - and that narrows it down by a significant amount. And if you somehow got it right (like if you chose "Ami" and it turns out to be Ami), then it would be fairly simple to add a few lines that recognize that later, just like the recent Futaba event will recognize if she already called you daddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: aramaug

aramaug

Jun 28, 2019

Edit: I see Moonflare posted before me, but I think this still might help clarify things.

Yes, the consensus is that she is Akira and Ayane's child. I haven't seen anyone seriously argue otherwise. What isn't certain is her real name. What Moonflare is arguing for (and I also support this position) is that her given name is Ami, i.e. she has the same name as her cousin/half-sister.

As a preliminary, if you're not already aware, the community refers to her as "Himawari" (Japanese for sunflower) because she tells Akira to name her after his favorite flower, which is later established to be sunflowers. There are also a few references to Himawari in the game, such as HimawariCo.

To be really brief, this is what I think is the strongest evidence for her actual name being Ami:
  • Ayane talks about the possibility of giving the name Ami to a future child on three separate occasions.
  • During the Untitled Children's Show, Himawari as Ayane says that she picked a name for her baby that she knows Akira would like. As far as we know, Ayane doesn't know about Akira's love of sunflowers.
  • At some point (I think in Maya's festival), Himawari tells Akira that her name is "hilarious, a real kick to the shin". "Himawari" isn't a funny name, but being the second person named "Ami Arakawa" would be.
I would say that the last one also makes it definitive that Himawari has a particular name, it's not just up to the player.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Edit: I see Moonflare posted before me, but I think this still might help clarify things.

Yes, the consensus is that she is Akira and Ayane's child. I haven't seen anyone seriously argue otherwise. What isn't certain is her real name. What Moonflare is arguing for (and I also support this position) is that her given name is Ami, i.e. she has the same name as her cousin/half-sister.

As a preliminary, if you're not already aware, the community refers to her as "Himawari" (Japanese for sunflower) because she tells Akira to name her after his favorite flower, which is later established to be sunflowers. There are also a few references to Himawari in the game, such as HimawariCo.

To be really brief, this is what I think is the strongest evidence for her actual name being Ami:
  • Ayane talks about the possibility of giving the name Ami to a future child on three separate occasions.
  • During the Untitled Children's Show, Himawari as Ayane says that she picked a name for her baby that she knows Akira would like. As far as we know, Ayane doesn't know about Akira's love of sunflowers.
  • At some point (I think in Maya's festival), Himawari tells Akira that her name is "hilarious, a real kick to the shin". "Himawari" isn't a funny name, but being the second person named "Ami Arakawa" would be.
I would say that the last one also makes it definitive that Himawari has a particular name, it's not just up to the player.
That part about the kick to the shin finally made sense to me, thank you. Sometimes I can really picture Himawari being the first "normal" person in their family, born at a time after all the fucked-up shit.

Can you imagine the little trickster being like "yeah dad, you have two daughters and they both have the same name, real kick to the shin that one, hilarious! You're not at all a goober for that, no sir!" then she also maybe had a knack for imitating all their friends, and would like to dress up... Akira and her would have no sexual vibe at all, and she'd know how to deal with his blackouts.

Man, I really want that day to come - and if it came to pass, it would perfectly sum up the "I'm all you never wanted, and everything you'll ever need" - with her being a normal daughter in a healthy relationship.

Yarazin

Dec 2, 2022
I like the idea of her being born in a timeline where the resets didn't happen/after all that shit would have happened. She grew up with a loving father and they both had a great relationship with each other. Then somehow, shit got messed up in the past and she came back to help fix it. If she doesn't then she wont be born.

About a subject someone mentioned earlier. Sure we don't need everything answered but if by the end we still are mostly unsure about the major points then that will suck.

Last edited:

aramaug

Jun 28, 2019
That part about the kick to the shin finally made sense to me, thank you. Sometimes I can really picture Himawari being the first "normal" person in their family, born at a time after all the fucked-up shit.

Can you imagine the little trickster being like "yeah dad, you have two daughters and they both have the same name, real kick to the shin that one, hilarious! You're not at all a goober for that, no sir!" then she also maybe had a knack for imitating all their friends, and would like to dress up... Akira and her would have no sexual vibe at all, and she'd know how to deal with his blackouts.

Man, I really want that day to come - and if it came to pass, it would perfectly sum up the "I'm all you never wanted, and everything you'll ever need" - with her being a normal daughter in a healthy relationship.
Assuming that she's the narrator who calls herself "your kick to the shin" in Chapter 4, it does seem like she has good memories of a wholesome relationship with her father. So I'm hopeful that we'll get to see that, maybe in Ayane's purity route.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022

Also dont forget the fact that during one of those happy event sequences where it was revealed that Himawari has a contract with these disgusting gods it was confirmed that Ayane was pregnant but didnt tell Sensei!

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022

Nah but if himawari being Akiras and Ayanes child from a previous cycle happens to be true,that means that Ami allowed that to happen.Crazy stuff.

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
About a subject someone mentioned earlier. Sure we don't need everything answered but if by the end we still are mostly unsure about the major points then that will suck.
I agree with you generally, but also see where he's coming from. There has to be a purpose as to why something is or isn't explained in a story, and getting it wrong ruins it. We leave things ambiguous or unknown to heighten intrigue, prolong reveals, encourage speculation, and to keep consequences unknown (e.g., if we're just told who is the mastermind of an event and that they just did it because they're a dick, then this thread goes from 2000 pages to 100 and the game becomes half the length, and boring.) The problems come when things aren't unexplained, but an (appropriate) explanation is needed or earned. Then we're left with contrivances, shattering of immersion, a purposely vague story that's unrewarding, and the feeling that we got cheated out of part of the story and its justification. We're left feeling like the writer just wanted something cool to happen no matter how stupid it is, or how little reason for it exists. Oh hey, Palpatine's back!
On the flip side, stories are information. Not giving it can be powerful, but without it there's no story. I'd say it comes down to this; Is it more rewarding, engaging, sensical to reveal something or keep it unknown by the end? What information is needed to tie everything together and make the conclusion satisfying, and after that, what can we afford to leave teased?
I'm fine with a lot being left up for debate (not hand-waved or forgotten about,) but if we get a cop-out, cliff hanger ending I'll be pretty peeved.

daagagsdgd

May 9, 2019
The discussion on Himawari (The girl with blue eyes whom Nodoka saw in her dreams right?) reminds me of something. In Ad Infinitum narrator (which suggests to be Pareidolia) said that "If anything, you should impregnate that Ayane girl immediately.", which makes me wonder Himawari's association with Pareidolia since he wanted baby of Ayane to be born. Though I'd rather to believe Himawari was the unnamed baby of Ayane obliterated in reset.

And in Untitled Children's Show 79 took Himawari in hostage and forced her to watch Akira struggle. But to whom did 79 and Moyo serve to? Pareidolia or Nozomu? I think I haven't seen many successive theories built on 79 and 61.

4.20 star(s) 297 Votes