barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Pardon my newness here, but has there been a discussion on the last name of all the characters before? Some of them have goofy meanings, like Futaba Fuku yama (Blessed Mountains) or Uta Ushi bori (Cow Hole), but other ones have seemingly deep meanings. Arakawa (Rough, violent, chaotic, becoming larger, nonsensical/new fresh stream) for Ami, Akira and whoever else. Kadowaki (Gate Triangular) which seems like something I'm not smart enough to dig into with the Triangle Circle Triangle thing. Sakakibara (Sarificial Tree/Origin or Source). Is this a thing or should I pull up a chair at the kid's table?
I don't recall discussion of the names themselves, just discussion of why all the names are alliterative.

Reactions: Bingoogus

uhhhwhat

Formerly 'gdrtshts444'
Jun 6, 2024
I don't think there's been a lot, but it would be welcome. Can I ask how you translated those names? I'm having trouble interpreting some of them the same way (though I'm not proficient.) Their names and other characters' seem to largely be taken from the names of places or typical surnames/clan names at first glance as well. It's not fun to Occam's razor everything, but it's hard to speculate much without a definitive translation, especially made hard without the actual spelling / Kanji. If those exist in-game or in a translation/outside source I'm unaware
Almost all of the surnames come from cities/districts/some form of locality in Japan with the exception of Molly (cause shes Irish af) and Maya (which makes me think its a fake last name). There actually have been three kanji confirmations that I've seen and I wish I had the photos to attach here, maybe someone could find them. Kaori Kadowaki (門脇), Wakana Watabe (渡部), and Imani Imai (今井). Kaori and Imani both have their names on their doors, I remember seeing it on an event with Sensei talking to Yuki and Imani was behind them, and you could see the nameplate. Kaori's had Nao-chan with her eyes all weird and had the Kadowaki nameplate with the number 23 above it. Could be a giant nothingburgerfriendburger, but my line of reasoning was if the names Sekai and Nozomu maybe have a meaning, then other names might too, idk. Also fun fact, you can see Kyoko Nagasawa written in hiragana all the way back in the happy event Something Everyone Knows and Ignores.

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
Pardon my newness here, but has there been a discussion on the last name of all the characters before? Some of them have goofy meanings, like Futaba Fuku yama (Blessed Mountains) or Uta Ushi bori (Cow Hole), but other ones have seemingly deep meanings. Arakawa (Rough, violent, chaotic, becoming larger, nonsensical/new fresh stream) for Ami, Akira and whoever else. Kadowaki (Gate Triangular) which seems like something I'm not smart enough to dig into with the Triangle Circle Triangle thing. Sakakibara (Sarificial Tree/Origin or Source). Is this a thing or should I pull up a chair at the kid's table?
Not really. Names with useful hidden meaning are created top down from their kanji writings and not bottom up from their hiragana spellings, let alone their English approximations. I.e., you need to see their names in kanji in order to to even start speculating, and that's a hurdle we can't overcome for most characters in the games.

If a name doesn't sound like a name or can easily be related to some cringe elements, sure we can be suspicious; but all the names in the game (even those with their kanji writings shown) are, as far as I can tell, fairly common names.

Last edited:

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
Almost all of the surnames come from cities/districts/some form of locality in Japan with the exception of Molly (cause shes Irish af) and Maya (which makes me think its a fake last name). There actually have been three kanji confirmations that I've seen and I wish I had the photos to attach here, maybe someone could find them. Kaori Kadowaki (門脇), Wakana Watabe (渡部), and Imani Imai (今井). Kaori and Imani both have their names on their doors, I remember seeing it on an event with Sensei talking to Yuki and Imani was behind them, and you could see the nameplate. Kaori's had Nao-chan with her eyes all weird and had the Kadowaki nameplate with the number 23 above it. Could be a giant nothingburgerfriendburger, but my line of reasoning was if the names Sekai and Nozomu maybe have a meaning, then other names might too, idk. Also fun fact, you can see Kyoko Nagasawa written in hiragana all the way back in the happy event Something Everyone Knows and Ignores.
A good amount of the names aren't actually from well known locations as far as I can tell, but are just surnames or other things. I could be wrong, but I don't think a name not being a city or prefecture is an outlier. The Makinami is actually a destroyer of the JMSDF, formerly the imperial navy (there have been three, one lost, one retired, one in service.) I actually don't understand that earlier translation of Kadowaki, I'm not sure where that came from, but I would translate it differently if I had to. It is just a common surname though, actually one shared by a baseball player (And Sel is/was a baseball nerd.) Same goes for Watabe, but Imai I'm not sure.

Reactions: Antosha

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
1. I'm pretty sure the "she" is Yuko aka DOUBT, the girl with lavender hair from the upside down house that Kyoko was in love with. Futaba has been connected to her before because of the lavender (Futaba smells like lavender). It seems like Yuko had the ability to leave the house (getting groceries and books) by physically traveling between planes like Futaba does. I'm not sure exactly what Futaba's connection to her is, but it almost seems like Nodoka is suggesting that it's hereditary; is it possible that Futaba is her daughter? Maybe Yuko left the house permanently at some point, or maybe Futaba is unknowingly adopted.
That's quite a lot of extrapolation solely based off the fact that Futaba uses lavender-scented perfume. There are so many assumptions here that need to be all correct in order to have "Yuko aka DOUBT being this she" make sense when we can't even confidently discern what the upside down house really is.

To streamline your claim (apologies if I sound impolitely sarcastic), that means Yuko can leave the upside down house for books and groceries thus can also travel through planes, and got pregnant on aisle 23 when she was outside, and gave birth to Futaba, and had her adopted by others without Futaba's knowing it, and Futaba chose lavender-scented perfume because of the hair of a woman who Futaba doesn't know that's her bio-mom, and definitely not because it simply smells good.

I get that you're trying to fill the blank between "Futaba traveled through planes for the first time" and "There is someone in the upside down that has lavender for hair and Futaba actually uses lavender-scented perfume" and explore a potential bridge, but to do so all of the things described above would have to be true to a certain extent, otherwise the chance of this she being Yuko drops enormously.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
That's quite a lot of extrapolation solely based off the fact that Futaba uses lavender-scented perfume. There are so many assumptions here that need to be all correct in order to have "Yuko aka DOUBT being this she" make sense when we can't even confidently discern what the upside down house really is.

To streamline your claim (apologies if I sound impolitely sarcastic), that means Yuko can leave the upside down house for books and groceries thus can also travel through planes, and got pregnant on aisle 23 when she was outside, and gave birth to Futaba, and had her adopted by others without Futaba's knowing it, and Futaba chose lavender-scented perfume because of the hair of a woman who Futaba doesn't know that's her bio-mom, and definitely not because it simply smells good.

I get that you're trying to fill the blank between "Futaba traveled through planes for the first time" and "There is someone in the upside down that has lavender for hair and Futaba actually uses lavender-scented perfume" and explore a potential bridge, but to do so all of the things described above would have to be true to a certain extent, otherwise the chance of this she being Yuko drops enormously.
So you’re saying this extrapolation might be… pareidolia?

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
I don't think there is a deep meaning behind their names. At least, not for the original cast. For example, there is no significant background story behind Yumi being named Yamaguchi other than her being the daughter of the yakuza, which is not playing huge role in the game or lore.
Were you meaning This?

I wonder if Hope knows Yumi as Gumi.

4.20 star(s) 297 Votes