Oct 1, 2023
some art while waiting for the next update:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As always, make sure to visit the official fanart thread for more .
What do you mean you'd rather chinami die? I'd let her play with my toy loudly-crying-face_1f62d.png

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Tell Selebus that if it's ready, I'll accept him releasing it a day early.

Also, Ayane all in red huh... a letter in red ink asking to meet in spring. Beware the color red. Probably nothing... unless?
Not sure if joking, but let's go down that rabbit hole.

The Persona series has been cited by Selebus as an influence on the game. For anyone who was unaware, the modern Persona games feature high school students in their second year going through some form of rite of passage into adulthood. They use the Tarot Arcana to symbolize the stages of passage from the innocence of youth (The Fool) to the maturity of adulthood, and each of the people the The Fool meets on his journey symbolizes a step on that passage. There are usually 20 Arcana in the initial version of the game, though the enhanced release may add some additional Arcana. But 20 Arcana for 20 Main Girls may be relevant.

Persona 3 is a game about accepting your own mortality. Persona 4 is a story about overcoming your insecurities. Persona 5 is a game about moving past your personal trauma -- which seems particularly appropriate for LiL.

The game takes place in both the "normal" and "shadow" world, though the nature of the shadow world varies by game. In 3, the shadow world is a localized distortion centered around a single location that only exists in a period of time that most cannot percieve (the 25th hour), in 4, it is a "TV Realm" literally entered by passing through a TV screen (note: thsi game came out before TVs got as large as they are today, and finding a TV large enough to fit a person through was still a bit of a challenge), and in 5 the shadow world is the world of cognition-- or Perception, but as it exists in a collective sense.

When a character is in the shadow world, they might awaken a Persona -- a spiritual being (drawn from religion or literature, usually) who grants them incredible power. at this moment, their outfit changes to reflect their awakened state. Ayane is wearing the costume of Ann Takamaki, a model who is being sexually harassed by a teacher at her school. Her refusal of his advances causes the teacher to rape her best friend, who then tries to kill herself by jumping off the roof of the school. Ann's arc is driven by her sense of guilt towards what happens to her friend, her dealing with rumors (spread by the teacher) that she was sleeping with said teacher, and a desire to not be seen as just a model anymore.

A whole lot of that is really, REALLY on the nose.

Ann is the Lover Arcana, which seems appropriate for Ayane as well.

Other characters in the game include:
Futaba Sakura, a redheaded Otaku recluse who blames herself for her mother's death (Molly?). She is the Hermit Arcana, which is less appropriate for Molly (Yumi would be a better candidate)

Makoto Niijima, a studious Student Council President who blames herself for not seeing what was happening at her school sooner. Her Arcana is Priestess, which doesn't feel like a good fit for our Makoto (Noriko is a better fit), but the name and role overlapping likely isn't coincidence.

Haru Nokumura, an heiress who is slated to be married to the son of a company executive who is also an abusive prick, who feels abandoned by her father (Touka). Her Arcana is Empress, which also fits Touka (one of the first things listed on the Megami Tensei wiki for Empress is that it's associated with mothers, and we know how Akira feels about Touka)

Kinda just punching the nose over and over again, honestly.

I've known that Sel has cited Persona as an influence for some time, but I hadn't actually thought that much about LiL in terms of Persona or the Arcana.

Sir Phoenix

Jun 13, 2018
I couldn't find it, so I need to ask, why doesn't this game show up on the latest updates when it updates? I have to remember to come manually check it every month or so.

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
I couldn't find it, so I need to ask, why doesn't this game show up on the latest updates when it updates? I have to remember to come manually check it every month or so.
Because it's author is a dick. Also, come here tomorrow, after 12:00 PM CT (will probably be shipped earlier starting from 10:00 AM CT)

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Riolol

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
What do you mean you'd rather chinami die? I'd let her play with my toy loudly-crying-face_1f62d.png
Chinami dies = characters take sanity damage and she comes back anyway.

Chinami "plays" = I take sanity damage.
Very interesting, as I'm not versed in the Persona universe. Himawari/Ayane seem to parallel that dynamic the most out of all of them. Unsure if the shadow world would be the city itself or the other dimensions they slip into sometimes though. I guess it could be both since it's just an inspiration.

Breadtaker

Nov 18, 2023
Okay Ami appreciation post for her birthday
To me, Ami is without question the most exciting character in the game. Sometimes endearing and wholesome, other times manipulative and hostile. She's anything but mild. Anticipating how she will leverage her position and her innate social intelligence puts every scene with her on edge. Her mixed signals make you regularly reevaluate how smart, how caring, how callous, how honest, how crazy she really is.

But imo, what really sets Ami apart from typical crazy characters is that she is understandable. I feel like I get it. It's still hard to read her intentions but why she feels this way makes sense.

The obvious starting point is Ami losing her parents in a traumatic way. But that's only the start. Lost in her grief, she found in Sensei not just companionship in a person who shares her pain but a purpose. Taking care of Sensei gave her a reason to get on her feet and a reason to care about life in general. It should have been the other way around. It should be sensei taking care of her and teaching her to find reasons to live outside of their household. But that never happened and Ami lashed her entire reason for living to Sensei.
And then we get the romantic feelings. The mysterious Sensei love virus that infects everyone. After saving Sensei, building him back up, and years of fulfilling the traditional duties of a house wife, you can't blame Ami for feeling somewhat entitled to that role. It's not just what she thinks of as her future, it's her life as she knows it.

The taboo nature of that relationship immediately pits Ami versus the world. She knows her fantasy is wrong and her only recourse is to dismiss the viewpoint of everyone else. Build her own definition of right. Anyone who goes against that is an obstacle. And this is before the other girls are even proper rivals.

Which of course is what happens. Everyone wants sensei and that jeopardizes her future, her present, and her reason for living. She's desperate to fend them off and that makes her do crazy things. She's aware she seems insane which puts her in this awkward spot between "I need to ease up and not suffocate Sensei" and "the world already doesn't accept/understand me. I need to fight against that."
From all directions people are encroaching on her life while dismissing her as immoral and delusional. Under these circumstances you would expect a person to break. In many ways she already has. However, Ami is conniving and smart. I believe it is that wit that gives her a fighting chance and the confidence to keep going.

In spite of all of this, when Ami has the freedom to lower her defense and be herself, she's a really kind and compassionate person. You see that a lot towards the beginning of the game. Those opportunities present themselves less and less as the story progresses.

Lastly, I want to take a moment to recognize her talent for poetry. My life With You is one of my favorite scenes. I'm no poet, nor am I sensei but I felt so proud of her after that event. The poem was genuinely good and seeing how nervous she was as she poured her heart into it was sweet.
I know none of this is probably revelatory. I just like gushing. Thanks for reading.

matt_riochka

Formerly 'matt_xx'
Jun 9, 2020
seeing the amount of stuff i missed or didn't understand after reading some messages and theories here makes me realise that even though i spent 260 hours to go through the entire game up to v0.42, i may as well re-read the entirety of it because there's just so much hidden stuff

or i'm just dumb and it's a me issue (also thanks for all the passionate users here y'all are great)

Last edited:

fasoaga

Jul 24, 2017

The Persona series has been cited by Selebus as an influence on the game. For anyone who was unaware, the modern Persona games feature high school students in their second year going through some form of rite of passage into adulthood. They use the Tarot Arcana to symbolize the stages of passage from the innocence of youth (The Fool) to the maturity of adulthood, and each of the people the The Fool meets on his journey symbolizes a step on that passage. There are usually 20 Arcana in the initial version of the game, though the enhanced release may add some additional Arcana. But 20 Arcana for 20 Main Girls may be relevant.

Persona 3 is a game about accepting your own mortality. Persona 4 is a story about overcoming your insecurities. Persona 5 is a game about moving past your personal trauma -- which seems particularly appropriate for LiL.

The game takes place in both the "normal" and "shadow" world, though the nature of the shadow world varies by game. In 3, the shadow world is a localized distortion centered around a single location that only exists in a period of time that most cannot percieve (the 25th hour), in 4, it is a "TV Realm" literally entered by passing through a TV screen (note: thsi game came out before TVs got as large as they are today, and finding a TV large enough to fit a person through was still a bit of a challenge), and in 5 the shadow world is the world of cognition-- or Perception, but as it exists in a collective sense.

When a character is in the shadow world, they might awaken a Persona -- a spiritual being (drawn from religion or literature, usually) who grants them incredible power. at this moment, their outfit changes to reflect their awakened state. Ayane is wearing the costume of Ann Takamaki, a model who is being sexually harassed by a teacher at her school. Her refusal of his advances causes the teacher to rape her best friend, who then tries to kill herself by jumping off the roof of the school. Ann's arc is driven by her sense of guilt towards what happens to her friend, her dealing with rumors (spread by the teacher) that she was sleeping with said teacher, and a desire to not be seen as just a model anymore.

A whole lot of that is really, REALLY on the nose.

Ann is the Lover Arcana, which seems appropriate for Ayane as well.

Other characters in the game include:
Futaba Sakura, a redheaded Otaku recluse who blames herself for her mother's death (Molly?). She is the Hermit Arcana, which is less appropriate for Molly (Yumi would be a better candidate)

Makoto Niijima, a studious Student Council President who blames herself for not seeing what was happening at her school sooner. Her Arcana is Priestess, which doesn't feel like a good fit for our Makoto (Noriko is a better fit), but the name and role overlapping likely isn't coincidence.

Haru Nokumura, an heiress who is slated to be married to the son of a company executive who is also an abusive prick, who feels abandoned by her father (Touka). Her Arcana is Empress, which also fits Touka (one of the first things listed on the Megami Tensei wiki for Empress is that it's associated with mothers, and we know how Akira feels about Touka)

Kinda just punching the nose over and over again, honestly.

I've known that Sel has cited Persona as an influence for some time, but I hadn't actually thought that much about LiL in terms of Persona or the Arcana.
This made me want to play persona games, but 100+ hours per game still scares me.

Reactions: aramaug

aramaug

Jun 28, 2019
Someone raised the point of Sekai's surname a while back, and what if it's Shiawase?
I mean, there is the old theory about white rabbits being associated with Sekai. Or rather, Sekai Shiawase. If that was the case, it would make Sekai a part of the simulation characters (characters with alliterative names).

aramaug pointed out that the Shiawase group was also a part of the Pareidolia Mall sequence, but that is the event I hate the most in this game, so I'm not going back just for that.

Edit: Shiawase can literally mean happiness, and given that Sekai experienced trauma in her home enough to despise her surname, it would make sense that her surname meant happiness. She dropped it and chose instead the title "the girl who cannot breathe" in opposition to the forced veneer of happiness thrust upon her (that made her unable to breathe).

It would also fit with her pursuit of trying everything to be happy and never achieving it before Akira, it would literally be in her name.

At the very least the Shiawase group seems to be in charge of the simulation, after all, it fits that the "Happiness group" would have the slogan "remember to smile".
Here's an idle thought on the subject of potential Sekai surnames: how about Tsukioka? As in, she would have been the sister of Tomonori.
  • I think it was Tsukasa who implied that Tomonori was an only child, but how likely is it that his parents wouldn't have had a failsafe like Tsukasa is for Touka? Maybe her existence was just hidden from the kids since she was estranged from the family.
  • Whether she was the heir or the failsafe (not sure on respective ages), Sekai would absolutely rebel against the rigid upbringing and expectations of continuing family tradition that the Tsukiokas emphasize.
  • She doesn't look like Touka/Tsukasa, but they get their looks from Tsubasa so for all we know Tomonori could be a redhead.
  • The Tsukioka manor sakura tree clearly has some connection to Sekai, since she appears with it in Mother's Milk and "Ami" is in front of it in Rain King.
  • Sensei sees Touka as Sekai, probably because they're both mother figures that he wants to fuck, but maybe there's a deeper connection.
  • Sekai's name starts with the letter T, which definitely stands for something other than Teacher. ;)
If anything, I'd think that Shiawase is a certain girl equivalent to Himawari solely because of the available parallel I can draw between Shiawase Group and Himawari Co, the two mysterious LLCs both featured in the Pareidolia Mall, and the fact that neither Shiawase or Himawari sounds like a name for an individual.
You know, Shiori Shiawase has a nice ring to it. :unsure:

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Here's an idle thought on the subject of potential Sekai surnames: how about Tsukioka? As in, she would have been the sister of Tomonori.
  • I think it was Tsukasa who implied that Tomonori was an only child, but how likely is it that his parents wouldn't have had a failsafe like Tsukasa is for Touka? Maybe her existence was just hidden from the kids since she was estranged from the family.
  • Whether she was the heir or the failsafe (not sure on respective ages), Sekai would absolutely rebel against the rigid upbringing and expectations of continuing family tradition that the Tsukiokas emphasize.
  • She doesn't look like Touka/Tsukasa, but they get their looks from Tsubasa so for all we know Tomonori could be a redhead.
  • The Tsukioka manor sakura tree clearly has some connection to Sekai, since she appears with it in Mother's Milk and "Ami" is in front of it in Rain King.
  • Sensei sees Touka as Sekai, probably because they're both mother figures that he wants to fuck, but maybe there's a deeper connection.
  • Sekai's name starts with the letter T, which definitely stands for something other than Teacher. ;)

I like that theory a lot. It explains the tree, the running from her family, why Sekai would have been buried in the mansion (or maybe Sekai's mother? can't quite recall the ghost story), her letter T (with teacher being a smokescreen), her name not being alliterative as she's not a part of the simulation, and plus, Akira would be soon having sex with his niece again (Touka) :ROFLMAO:

Would Touka's father be unaware of the Arakawas though? Even if she's distanced from her family (or rather because of it) they'd still keep tabs on her and, most importantly, on her daughter. Even if they assume Ami is Nozomu's daughter, she'd still be a Tsukioka in blood. It would be inconceivable that Akira would have to rescue Ami from adoption from a random family if she's a Tsukioka, as they'd adopt her instead. And if they tried, Akira/Ami would remember it.

The one issue with this theory is that grandma's house has to default to being Saki instead of Sekai's mom. And why would Ami refer to it being "grandma's house" to Akira if he lived there? Akira was surely not living alone in the old district when Ami was born, Saki would have been there (Edit: actually, where was Saki as Nozomu died? she must have been dead already, otherwise she'd adopt Ami. And if she died so early in Ami's life, who's the grandma she speaks of? Interesting, didn't think about that).

Tsukioka Sekai and Shiawase Shiori seems like an elegant theory regardless. Good job.

Edit: I also think there's a possibility that Tsubasa's husband was the spare, and Sekai was the older sister.
Edit2: We need some speculation on the timeline of Saki's death, who was living with Akira where and to what point in the timeline. Potentially, this might reveal a bizarre family dynamic in which Nozomu and Sekai were acting as Akira's parents during his late teenage years.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023

This is a good one. Despite being a bit of uncalled, it actually makes Tsukioas responsible to most of the stuff, which is belivable enough.

Also, it would mean that Tsukiokas already have a child from Arakawas, which allows interesting implications

PS Good bye "all girls in the class are Akira's relatives" and welcome "all girls in the class are Ami's relatives" theory

• Thinking Face
Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
seeing the amount of stuff i missed or didn't understand after reading some messages and theories here makes me realise that even though i spent 260 hours to go through the entire game up to v0.42, i may as well re-read the entirety of it because there's just so much hidden stuff

or i'm just dumb and it's a me issue (also thanks for all the passionate users here y'all are great)
First of all, welcome to being active in the thread. Your first replay is where it really starts. At times it seems like a completely different game from the amount of stuff you start paying attention to and connections you couldn't make before.

I skipped most of Chika's events and hated Yasu's "nonsense" during my first time. I barely knew who Chinami was as well: "why the hell is there a kid (with a dog mask) in this porn game? slip skip". And now I can quote random obscure lore fragments by heart :ROFLMAO: Perhaps I should start wearing denim.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
This made me want to play persona games, but 100+ hours per game still scares me.
If you like turn-based JRPGs, the three modern Persona games are all very, VERY good turn-based JRPGs, and the length won't feel like an issue in real time.

If you don't like turn-based JRPGs, the length will ABSOLUTELY be an issue.

I came of age on NES JRPGs, and enjoyed Persona 5 so much I immediately started a second run, and wound up clocking 250 hours on it before moving on to another game.

ErisT

Mar 13, 2020
If you like turn-based JRPGs, the three modern Persona games are all very, VERY good turn-based JRPGs, and the length won't feel like an issue in real time.

If you don't like turn-based JRPGs, the length will ABSOLUTELY be an issue.

I came of age on NES JRPGs, and enjoyed Persona 5 so much I immediately started a second run, and wound up clocking 250 hours on it before moving on to another game.
Are you excited for Metaphor? Or not so much because of change in setting?

Reactions: crustlord12

Muk_king

Oct 5, 2019
I like that there are actual things to find through inspection and theory. It makes a replay much more interesting. Like rewatching Blade Runner and seeing all the subtle hints for what they are.

The Tsukioka connection idea is pretty neat. Tsubasa probably doesn't know in that case, since she hasn't interacted with or asked about Ami as far as I recall.

4.20 star(s) 298 Votes