jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
whats the difference between side characters and main characters? just event priority?
pretty sure all the main girls will eventually have their own path to an ending of some sort. the side girls are still very important to game progression though. there are plenty of main events that are contingent on having seen the events of certain side characters

worthlesspeon

Jun 10, 2017
whats the difference between side characters and main characters? just event priority?
Main characters live in the dorm and get more scenes. Whether that has broader implications on the story at large as to whatever these girls "really" are is tough to say. We do have one instance of a side character being upgraded to a main character so far (Kirin)

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Main characters, save for Ami, are mandatory. Their content, including their sex content, is unavoidable, even if you really, truly, despise that character. Ami is the only exception. When they get new content, it usually comes in groups of 4 scenes.

Side characters are optional. Some of the story scenes may be necessary to advance the plot, but whether or not you're sleeping with them is optional. When they get new content, they usually only get 2 new scenes each.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Alright, this has been bugging me to a small degree for months now and i can finally be fucked to type this out. Wtf is the deal with Io? I don't really get her character or her arc, she seems to glom onto Sensei suddenly and without any real reason, projecting a bunch of stuff on to him, she fucking hates people because she fucking hates people and... i just don't get her, she doesn't click in like a puzzle piece, she seems poorly formed and written, actions without motivations, reactions without foundational explanations. I just don't get her, does anyone? And if so, can you explain wtf she is in a way my autistic brain can understand? I'm not looking for a brief summation like "she's just misanthropic", my confusion is not in the parts that make her up but how they all fit together.

Last edited:

SteelMemes

Dec 10, 2019
Alright, this has been bugging me to a small degree for months now and i can finally be fucked to type this out. Wtf is the deal with Io? I don't really get her character or her arc, she seems to glom onto Sensei suddenly and without any real reason, projecting a bunch of stuff on to him, she fucking hates because she fucking hates people and... i just don't get her, she doesn't click in like a puzzle piece, she seems poorly formed and written, actions without motivations, reactions without foundational explanations. I just don't get her, does anyone? And if so, can you explain wtf she is in a way my autistic brain can understand? I'm not looking for a brief summation like "she's just misanthropic", my confusion is not in the parts that make her up but how they all fit together.
I kind of feel that way about all the floor 2 girls except for Kirin and Noriko, but since we've gotten movement on Molly/Tsuneyo the past few updates, I have to imagine that the others will follow and start to come together eventually.

Dc345

May 27, 2020
What's the difference between seeing red and things that hurt event. And how do I go back and get missed event for seeing red?

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Alright, this has been bugging me to a small degree for months now and i can finally be fucked to type this out. Wtf is the deal with Io? I don't really get her character or her arc, she seems to glom onto Sensei suddenly and without any real reason, projecting a bunch of stuff on to him, she fucking hates because she fucking hates people and... i just don't get her, she doesn't click in like a puzzle piece, she seems poorly formed and written, actions without motivations, reactions without foundational explanations. I just don't get her, does anyone? And if so, can you explain wtf she is in a way my autistic brain can understand? I'm not looking for a brief summation like "she's just misanthropic", my confusion is not in the parts that make her up but how they all fit together.
Ugh, wish I hadn't borked my save so I could replay her scenes. I'm gonna have to go from memory here.

I don't think she hates people. I think she hates being abandoned, and they can't abandon you if they were never close to begin with.

She's showing signs of having a Favorite Person relationship with Sensei, which is an indicator of Borderline Personality Disorder. All of her self-worth and validation comes from Sensei, from how much time he spends with her to the quality of the time they spend together, and any time when she knows he's with someone else -- in any capacity -- she sees it as a deflation of her worth as a person. This is very dangerous for Io -- Sensei is probably the worst character in the game to have that kind of attachment to. To her, he represents almost a savior -- from solitude and from herself.

I could be off base here. We don't see the extreme anger that can manifest in BPD patients, at least not yet -- but very technically, it's still early. We don't have a lot of 1x1 time with her just yet.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
What's the difference between seeing red and things that hurt event. And how do I go back and get missed event for seeing red?
In Things that Hurt, Yumi doesn't run away.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's based on the Yumiknows flag, which is determine by which event happens first, Yumi's event Abyss, or the trip to the onsen with Chika.

If you did the Onsen trip first, Yumi knows you're dating Chika, and you get Seeing Red. If you did Abyss first, you'll get Things That Hurt.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Ugh, wish I hadn't borked my save so I could replay her scenes. I'm gonna have to go from memory here.

I don't think she hates people. I think she hates being abandoned, and they can't abandon you if they were never close to begin with.

She's showing signs of having a Favorite Person relationship with Sensei, which is an indicator of Borderline Personality Disorder. All of her self-worth and validation comes from Sensei, from how much time he spends with her to the quality of the time they spend together, and any time when she knows he's with someone else -- in any capacity -- she sees it as a deflation of her worth as a person. This is very dangerous for Io -- Sensei is probably the worst character in the game to have that kind of attachment to. To her, he represents almost a savior -- from solitude and from herself.

I could be off base here. We don't see the extreme anger that can manifest in BPD patients, at least not yet -- but very technically, it's still early. We don't have a lot of 1x1 time with her just yet.
Hmmmm. Well i have no experience with BPD people so if Selebus is somewhat modelling her after one then it'd make perfect sense why she doesn't seem to make much sense to me. She definitely seems to hate people though, not actively, just in "i have absolutely no fucking interest in you whatsoever, go away" way. You've helped Bargle but i still feel like i only have a poor understanding of her.

Dc345

May 27, 2020

It's based on the Yumiknows flag, which is determine by which event happens first, Yumi's event Abyss, or the trip to the onsen with Chika.

If you did the Onsen trip first, Yumi knows you're dating Chika, and you get Seeing Red. If you did Abyss first, you'll get Things That Hurt.
Is there a way I can go back and get this scene? My earliest save has the Chika event completed already?

akselx

Mar 29, 2020

I actually didn't noticed when I got Seeing Red at first and thought that that's how the scene goes anyway. Was so proud of Yumi for standing her ground.
Anyway, do u have a background in clinical psychology?
Is there a way I can go back and get this scene? My earliest save has the Chika event completed already?
There's a cheat solution couple of pages back.

jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
Hmmmm. Well i have no experience with BPD people so if Selebus is somewhat modelling her after one then it'd make perfect sense why she doesn't seem to make much sense to me. She definitely seems to hate people though, not actively, just in "i have absolutely no fucking interest in you whatsoever, go away" way. You've helped Bargle but i still feel like i only have a poor understanding of her.
count yourself lucky. having dated and fallen in love with someone with BPD, it is a fucking nightmare. pretty sure the whole ordeal took years off of my life. if you're someone that feels an inclination to "fix" people, stay far far away for your own well being. and if you're someone who cannot handle someone else making you the inception-esque totem they cling to obsessively, stay far far away for theirs

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Bingoogus

kitsunedawn

Aug 17, 2017

I would add to this, that with BPD (speaking from personal experience) there's typically a cause in the person's background. Not a specific singular point where things went 'wrong' and caused the disorder; but a series of things. The most common cause being a feeling of loss that just never goes away. A powerless feeling, and clinical depression. So they will push others away because as you said, they can't abandon you if they weren't close to begin with.

However, I don't think she sees him with someone else as being a deflation of her worth. Rather, I think she starts to worry that the person will forget about her. Like so many others have done in the past (in her mind) and that Sensei is going to be no different. So mentally she is preparing herself for the eventual moment he leaves her. She may even try to cause that to happen, since in her mind, she knows that's going to happen anyway.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Bingoogus

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I could easily be off base, that's just the vibe I get.
I have no experience so i cannot backup or disparage your claims but i can say if it's all bullshit it is at the very least very convincing bullshit :p

It certainly has given me something to work with, which as big improvement over the complete cluelessness i started with.

4.20 star(s) 298 Votes